Microsoft's Mobile Marketing is basically non-existent

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
There's no point advertising right now. They've spent a lot of money marketing them in the past and it didn't make a single bit of difference. They're building their brand on Surface now. In fact the brand "Surface" is having a better connotation in people's mind than "Windows". These new phones are for the fans to help them incubate their Win10 mobile vision. When Surface/Lumia Pro device is announced, marketing will commence.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The 950s are basically placeholders and won't be marketed. However this summer, before the iPhone 7 is released, the Surface phone 10 will be part of a huge marketing campaign -MS is hoping between now and then, Universal and bridged apps start to appear so when the Surface phone 10 is released it will be a viable competitor to iOS and Android

Chris Turek

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I think this 950 would been a great competitive smartphone a year ago, but with the competition moving forward in style and features, it not attractive for $550! It looks old for a flagship phone!

you can easily replace the back cover to anything you desire and make it look so much better. The possibilities are endless. What other flagship phone out there has a replaceable battery, an SD card slot, a replaceable back and a FANTASTIC camera? The 950 is the only phone that has all of that.

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So one time I saw an ad for the note 5 on youtube. In about 30 seconds, it showed me what it can do and how stylish it could look like while doing the tasks.

I looked up a Nokia Lumia 930 commercial and I saw the phone bouncing on colored backdrops with a club beat in the background.

Nokia and Microsoft couldn't even market their fortes properly like wireless charging and it annoys me that Samsung may be seen as the company who popularized it. Microsoft didn't even try and license "Stronger" by Clean Bandit (MS helped make the music video) as their advertising jingle to try and pull in some music listeners.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
To be fair Microsoft has gotten a lot better at marketing with the Surface line... Expect that sort of push when the "panos phone" actually exists.

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
To be fair Microsoft has gotten a lot better at marketing with the Surface line... Expect that sort of push when the "panos phone" actually exists.

I hhaven't watched any, but I'll take your word for it. I'm just getting horrible flashbacks from the early windows 8 ads. You wanna talk about speed? Have a "which woman can apply tons of makeup first" contest! What about fun and creativity? Have kids hold surface tablets, dance wildly while connecting and disconnecting the keyboard.

Someone just thought it was a good idea to dumb everything down to show that Microsoft can be hip and in with the young crowd.

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has a unique feel to it, like all the classic times we went through with our Windows PCs. To be honest, I was shocked a lot when I started using my first Windows Phone. It was tightly locked, not like the PC, you couldn't tweak it so much. But I got over it. It was a phone, afterall. I could always use my PC the way I like it.
The problem of Microsoft's mobile vision is that they are not worthy of their replacing of Nokia Sure, they make stable, durable and solid software/hardware and no one beats them. But Microsoft lacks the vision of consumer-centered approach which the competition has. That's why they successfully sell their crap for a lot of money meanwhile Microsoft can't sell their solid products for lower prices. Back in the day, everone thought that using a computer without Windows is limiting.. It even had an 'app gap' that we came across using WP. You couldn't find a cool game or some software for your desktop computer unless it had Windows installed. And developers chose Windows because that was where the people were.
I remember the good old days where you can only ask people for a phone charger if you had a Nokia. And Nokia had only two types of chargers: thin and thick :) Meanwhile all Samsung models had different chargers.
Now, the tables are turned. Even Microsoft focuses harder on iOS/Android apps of their own services than they do on WP. No one buys a Windows Phone, just like no one bought a non-Windows OS back in the day. People got angry when Windows 8 didn't have a start menu. Maybe there is a simple point here: evolution-good, revolution-bad ;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think this is correct, however the surface phone will not need a mobile OS.

This is the only way the Surface phone (provided it is even real) will have any chance at relevance. As long as the mobile OS and its ecosystem are in the state they are now, the best hardware in the universe won't mean a thing. "Lipstick on a pig..."

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I see roadside billboards, shop posters, newspaper adverts, telcom adverts for lumia devices on a regular basis - Kenya

Advertising is happening, in developing nations, where the real potential is :wink:

Magikal

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft applied the worst marketing strategy since the Nokia takeover last year. Actually their marketing is somewhat non-existent. I think they realize and silently admit that they're not competitive enought in the smartphone business.
Few days ago I had the chance to play with both 950 and 550 at a local carrier store here in Bulgaria. Lumia 950 was overpriced at 1200 leva (1 lev = 1.8 dollars, roughly). That's pretty expensive for a plastic phone with unfinished operating system, right? The feel and touch of the phone were not flagship either. Lumia 950 is not the phone thats gonna win you, and make you blind to the other phones there. Microsoft knows that. Like they knew the display defects on 535 at the beginning of the year. It took them so long, some 4 updates or more to attempt fixing the issue and it's still there! So for me, this whike marketing behavior is a result of two things - they know that they're not competitive and maybe they don't rely on their mobile business like they used to. There's no other logical explanation why such a powerful company, both technically and financially wise, would act so irresonsibly and inadequately in their marketing behavior. Oh and did I mention that they don't pay attention to the users. Users deserve a better treatment.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has a unique feel to it, like all the classic times we went through with our Windows PCs. To be honest, I was shocked a lot when I started using my first Windows Phone. It was tightly locked, not like the PC, you couldn't tweak it so much. But I got over it. It was a phone, afterall. I could always use my PC the way I like it.
The problem of Microsoft's mobile vision is that they are not worthy of their replacing of Nokia Sure, they make stable, durable and solid software/hardware and no one beats them. But Microsoft lacks the vision of consumer-centered approach which the competition has. That's why they successfully sell their crap for a lot of money meanwhile Microsoft can't sell their solid products for lower prices. Back in the day, everone thought that using a computer without Windows is limiting.. It even had an 'app gap' that we came across using WP. You couldn't find a cool game or some software for your desktop computer unless it had Windows installed. And developers chose Windows because that was where the people were.
I remember the good old days where you can only ask people for a phone charger if you had a Nokia. And Nokia had only two types of chargers: thin and thick :) Meanwhile all Samsung models had different chargers.
Now, the tables are turned. Even Microsoft focuses harder on iOS/Android apps of their own services than they do on WP. No one buys a Windows Phone, just like no one bought a non-Windows OS back in the day. People got angry when Windows 8 didn't have a start menu. Maybe there is a simple point here: evolution-good, revolution-bad ;)

It's a big difference when the OEMs are pushing Android. They don't need Microsoft approval to add features, spywares, or bloatwares. They can change the UI to their own. I personally don't want the OEMs to mess too much with the OS, but when they flood market with Android everywhere, Android will have high marketshare. If you're in Microsoft' situation, do you want to give the OEMs more control over Windows mobile?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs