Universal apps are failing

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Ballmer is right, Android apps is the shortest path to increase the number and the quality of apps.

Windows 10 adoption on PCs is slowing down and that makes universal apps less attractive for developers.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried installing it. I'm on windows phone 8...app not available. Honestly that is what life is like on windows phone.

Why would you want an app that showes you Windows 10 apps on your phone running WP8 ? It's really hard to take you serious....

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We just have to wait to see the results! Making apps is not easy, look at FB app, just came out. Look at Instagram and mainly Windows Central, they have not yet come! Im sure Windows Central started making theirs App from the time the tools were released, and still its taking time! If big Apps like FB took so long, then you can imagine how long other companies might take.
Companies who said they are stopping support for their Windows Phone App were talking about their WP8.1 App, they didnt tell anything about Windows 10 App!
We just have to wait!
From the past few days, all I see is Apps coming!

We've been playing the waiting game ever since Microsoft made the shift from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone 7. And that was 5 years ago. Apps like Instagram have seen a single update shortly after they've been initially published and have never been touched again ever since.
While I still have faith in Microsoft and their vision of one unified operating system, I also have doubts that it'll help the mobile division.
Even though the OP may appear very negative, he definitely has a point here. If a company like Starbucks has refused to make their app for Windows Phone because of its low marketshare, then the ability of universal apps being able to run consinstently across all kinds of devices won't change a thing about their stance. Their product is clearly meant to be used on phones. They just don't care that can run on every other piece of hardware without having to put in additional effort. They're not interested in having their app run on tablets, desktop PCs, laptops or whatever. All they want is their app to run on a phone. And with WP's struggling marketshare there's not a single reason to pay a team of developers to make an app for said ecosystem. No matter if it could run on more than just a phone. It just won't pay off.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Ballmer is right, Android apps is the shortest path to increase the number and the quality of apps.

Windows 10 adoption on PCs is slowing down and that makes universal apps less attractive for developers.

Android apps on Windows 10 mobile will undermine the whole OS.. why would Microsoft even make phones then? Plus the apps would run in an emulated state, and it would not be pretty.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Android apps on Windows 10 mobile will undermine the whole OS.. why would Microsoft even make phones then? Plus the apps would run in an emulated state, and it would not be pretty.

That's not entirely true. Yes, they run in an emulated environment, but not pretty? I've been playing around with this feature a couple of times and the apps looked exactly like they do on Android (and WM10 will soon look the very same) and were perfectly fluid. No lag, no nothing. If I hadn't known for sure, I would have thought these were native WM10 apps.

Weird guy

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Universal apps are not failing , it is helping to heal the app gap situation. Windows 10 mobile is not officialy realeased yet , and you are telling universal apps is failing , lol. It's just starting .

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Universal apps are not failing , it is helping to heal the app gap situation. Windows 10 mobile is not officialy realeased yet , and you are telling universal apps is failing , lol. It's just starting .

With the availability of WM10 powered phones like the 950 and 950XL and soon the 550, Windows 10 mobile HAS officialy been released. It's still beta though. And while the vision of a unified system and universal, scaling apps is great, it won't change much about the app gap.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
That's not entirely true. Yes, they run in an emulated environment, but not pretty? I've been playing around with this feature a couple of times and the apps looked exactly like they do on Android (and WM10 will soon look the very same) and were perfectly fluid. No lag, no nothing. If I hadn't known for sure, I would have thought these were native WM10 apps.

Haven't tried it my self, I just figured it would be lag and problems rendering graphics. How about accessing sensors and other hardware features?

Weird guy

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Ballmer is not right. Universal apps platform is not going to flop. It's just starting. What about project Astoria , islandwood , westminster , centennial ???????

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
With the availability of WM10 powered phones like the 950 and 950XL and soon the 550, Windows 10 mobile HAS officialy been released. It's still beta though. And while the vision of a unified system and universal, scaling apps is great, it won't change much about the app gap.

I honestly don't think Microsoft at this time cares much about the "app gap". I think their main goal is creating the ultimate productivity devices.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Haven't tried it my self, I just figured it would be lag and problems rendering graphics. How about accessing sensors and other hardware features?

I remember that the camera didn't work. Everything else seemed ok. But that feature was clearly in a very early stage. And for that stage is was performing actually very good.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't think Microsoft at this time cares much about the "app gap". I think their main goal is creating the ultimate productivity devices.

But if so, then they're doing it wrong. Because that's exactly what's keeping people from buying into WM/WP.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
But if so, then they're doing it wrong. Because that's exactly what's keeping people from buying into WM/WP.

It's possible they're doing it wrong. But it seems to be their strategy right now, so only time will tell. For me personaly that was the main reason I switched from iphone a year ago. I found WP to be more productive and effective. It suits me. Windows 10 Mobile even more so.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Universal apps are a big hit! This helps to bring the apps of PC to the mobiles and vice versa. As a result, unlike in Win 8.1 for PC, most of the popular apps are now available on Windows 10 for PC! Due to universal apps, mobiles and laptops are now helping each other to grow their app market and this rise is exponential!

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

It's possible they're doing it wrong. But it seems to be their strategy right now, so only time will tell. For me personaly that was the main reason I switched from iphone a year ago. I found WP to be more productive and effective. It suits me. Windows 10 Mobile even more so.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Big apps like Facebook and Instagram have to be native. Microsoft should help to develop these apps to achieve top quality.

UWP is the best option for apps that are also useful on PCs.

For smaller apps, Android emulation is probably the only feasible solution.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There are also developers targeting Windows specifically. I'm one of them. I'm trying to appeal to people with disabilities and help make technology work for them. I'm targeting the Windows platforms. If we start creating niches for Windows mobile then we can create more users, and that should get developers on board. I'm also going to make a suggestion to the staff for Windows Central to help get apps out there and developed.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll rephrase.

Windows 10 mobile is not available to officially download to the masses. It's available on two phones.

Once Windows 10 mobile is released globally and people are able to upgrade, the apps will come.

Windows 10 is already there in many laptops, how many devs it has attracted?, if W10 desktop cant attract devs W10mobile will never will

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ballmer is not right. Universal apps platform is not going to flop. It's just starting. What about project Astoria , islandwood , westminster , centennial ???????

Those are more likely to help, but aren't really universal apps. They are borrowing apps from other OSes.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

A productive phone needs apps like a productive PC needs software. That is the reason PC dominated Mac for so long. It is a myth my windows phone is more productive. 5 years ago when it was the only platform worth office.... Maybe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb