Microsoft sugarcoating Ballmer is right!

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I remember posting when our lamia's were first delivered on the 25th saying that the lack of app ecosystem was the down fall of windows 10 and someone not going to say names ripped into me and several other people saying we were not smart and laughed we some of us complained that they cannot get something as simple as a starbucks app. Several folks were like access the website and scan the phone you don't need an app yeah but the app is a lot faster anyway here is our good friend Steve Ballmer as reported by pocketnow on WM. Mind you he is the largest shareholder of Microsoft. This goes is exactly what many have said and this is also the reason BB went down we are not worried about apps you think back Microsoft has had since WP 7 to get this together and yet the store still lacks and gets worse with each new version of WM now we are at 10 and more apps are gone. IJS I hope we can get something done MS asap its only a matter of time before the mobile division becomes like Blackberry and has to give in to android. Something I do not want to see its good to have a competitive OS and APP Ecosystem.

The former CEO is also not satisfied that Nadella responded to a question about the rather tepid Windows app ecosystem by promoting organic universal app development for all screen sizes. That still means another app for devs to write beyond Android and iOS. Windows 10 Mobile devices will need ?to run Android apps,? according to Ballmer.Project Astoria, the effort to bridge Android apps to the Windows ecosystem, has been suspended indefinitelywhile the equivalent iOS bridge has been deemed successful.If conversion or organic developing will net Windows 10 a Starbucks app, as the original asker suggested, that has yet to be determined.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The app gap is an issue, admittedly. Not for me and possibly neither for the majority of geeks and nerds hanging around here. But in the world of smartphone users, we are the minority. People like my two older sons want Snapchat. They want Clash of Clans and whatever other apps and games are hip today. A huge pile of people need dedicated bank apps or other popular apps to manage their lives. And a whole bunch of that is missing on WP/WM. Which is only one - but an important - reason why Microsoft is struggling in mobile businesses. Another one might be, that people have spent hundreds of dollars for apps on iOS or Android and just refuse starting all over on a diferent platform again.
Anyways, while on first glance having Android apps run on WP/WM might appear to solve the app gap issue, it's a shot to the head of the entire Windows eco system at the same time. Why would anyone bother to develop dedicated, native Windows apps if they can just publish their already existing Android apps?
BlackBerry did a pretty similar thing. Did it help? Not at all. They're going full Android now. Which isn't gonna help theim either.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Who cares what Balmer says? MS is now headed in the right direction and stock prices have almost doubled since Nadella took over. I suspect there's a lot of jealousy there.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The app gap is an issue, admittedly. Not for me and possibly neither for the majority of geeks and nerds hanging around here. But in the world of smartphone users, we are the minority. People like my two older sons want Snapchat. They want Clash of Clans and whatever other apps and games are hip today. A huge pile of people need dedicated bank apps or other popular apps to manage their lives. And a whole bunch of that is missing on WP/WM. Which is only one - but an important - reason why Microsoft is struggling in mobile businesses. Another one might be, that people have spent hundreds of dollars for apps on iOS or Android and just refuse starting all over on a diferent platform again.
Anyways, while on first glance having Android apps run on WP/WM might appear to solve the app gap issue, it's a shot to the head of the entire Windows eco system at the same time. Why would anyone bother to develop dedicated, native Windows apps if they can just publish their already existing Android apps?
BlackBerry did a pretty similar thing. Did it help? Not at all. They're going full Android now. Which isn't gonna help theim either.

Not talking about social Apps not sure why this is the first thing. I am talking real fictional apps American airlines, chase ,discover, myfico, billguard ,etc apps that are needed this is a problem as long as people make excuses nothing will change.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not talking about social Apps not sure why this is the first thing. I am talking real fictional apps American airlines, chase ,discover, myfico, billguard ,etc apps that are needed this is a problem as long as people make excuses nothing will change.

Yup, I mentioned bank apps, didn't I? ;) And I've already said it, supporting Android apps on WP/WM will make the missing apps available and close the app gap, but it's not gonna help the ecosystem in the long term. Not.At.All.

Jayddo

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Using another OS's apps is like dressing yourself with your neighbour's wardrobe. It may help today and tomorrow, but eventually he will change his lock and you won't be able to use that wardrobe anymore.

How would it even make sense in the long run to just use other's apps?

What you need is for easy ways to port apps, and a better userbase so that developers are inclined to do the work.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Using another OS's apps is like dressing yourself with your neighbour's wardrobe. It may help today and tomorrow, but eventually he will change his lock and you won't be able to use that wardrobe anymore.

How would it even make sense in the long run to just use other's apps?

What you need is for easy ways to port apps, and a better userbase so that developers are inclined to do the work.

Exactly. But most people are rather near sighted, they don't think too far in the future. Unfortunately.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. But most people are rather near sighted, they don't think too far in the future. Unfortunately.

wow your care to elaborate about the not thinking to far into the future because as of right now neither is microsoft. Get that time machine out and see if we still have this same problem in two years since folks are so superior and we only think in the now since we have the phone now and not because of what will happen two years down the road.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Ballmer did crap for years at MSFT. He didn't innovate at all. He let windows mobile 6.5 get trumped by iOS. He needs to shut up and manage his crappy basketball organization of soft players.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ballmer did crap for years at MSFT. He didn't innovate at all. He let windows mobile 6.5 get trumped by iOS. He needs to shut up and manage his crappy basketball organization of soft players.

I agree he did mismanage windows, however i am going to have to disagree that this BB team is crap unless you are watching a different team, and I am a Bulls fan don't like the clippers one bit but dude you can't call his team crappy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa