I felt like this is MS's slap on WP users faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah let's pretend they haven't done significant improvements on that app since they bought it. Just slapped a new name and no revs.

Yeah, it's possible. As we've said before, Microsoft is a software company that's being increasingly platform agnostic. We don't know what architecture the Accompli app had and how that relates to the Windows 10 Universal App, we don't know how much work is involves in bringing those together or cross-feeding features. I don't believe that Microsoft is in a mind-set where it's preferring one platform over another, if there's things in the Accompli app that work well for iOS/Android users, it doesn't really make sense to strip them out just to be contrary.

Microsoft tend to leave contrariness to other people.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
What a sensational headline! This email is trying to get users to install/use Outlook.

Windows devices already come with outlook. You cannot uninstall it or install it again from the store (Only update), so why target them? Android/iOS devices do not come with Outlook, the idea is to try to get them to install/use it.

What would the windows store logo be doing anyways? Taking you to the windows store? And then do what? The app is already installed.

Such sensitivity!

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The Outlook app for iOS/Android is not new. It's been around for years. It was originally from Accompli, which Microsoft bought out. Microsoft basically slapped a new name on an existing app after it bought the company. It didn't need to make anything brand new from scratch.

True, but Microsoft took over Acompli in December 2014. They have had more than a year to make the Windows Phone version achieve feature parity with the iOS and Android versions. But even now, the Windows Phone version lags behind it's iOS and Android counterparts. Just shows you what a low priority Windows Phone is for Microsoft.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
True, but Microsoft took over Acompli in December 2014. They have had more than a year to make the Windows Phone version achieve feature parity with the iOS and Android versions. But even now, the Windows Phone version lags behind it's iOS and Android counterparts. Just shows you what a low priority Windows Phone is for Microsoft.

I agree, Microsoft has been taking features away since they scrapped win 6.5 mobile for 7. Now the email in 10 is worse than win 8 email. Overall I am very disappointed.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows devices already come with outlook. You cannot uninstall it or install it again from the store (Only update), so why target them? Android/iOS devices do not come with Outlook, the idea is to try to get them to install/use it.

What would the windows store logo be doing anyways? Taking you to the windows store? And then do what? The app is already installed.

Such sensitivity!

No, WP/W10M does not come with this Outlook. WP/W10M comes with an outdated useless piece of crap version.
Microsoft bought the iOS version a year ago but nothing from this version has been transferred to the new W10M version of Outlook.

Buy a Windows phone and get second class features and support from everyone including Microsoft!
(and Tiles, Continuum and an iris scanner, Wow!)

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I see what you mean.
But since the outlook app is installed by default on W10M and can't be uninstalled, we could think they just didn't put their logo there since it's pretty obvious the app is on Windows too.

But we know they're not as smart

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Google both did the same thing?

Hmm... the gmail app on my Note 4 allows me to access my @live email address, including with support for 2 Factor Authentication. The gmail app also supports third party eMail via manual configuration. I've no idea if Apples eMail app, whatever it is called, allows that because I'm not an Apple customer.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is true. But will Google ever create a YouTube app or even a Google Maps for Windows ? Will Apple provide an iTunes store app or an ApplePay app?

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
With the Microsoft accounts, I think Microsoft should "know" which devices we are using. We shouldn't get the e-mail if we don't use IOS/Android. It is indeed sad to receive such an email as a completely Windows user.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
This is true. But will Google ever create a YouTube app or even a Google Maps for Windows ? Will Apple provide an iTunes store app or an ApplePay app?

Why would they?
IF Microsoft is doing great by going for the numbers (iOS/Android) why would then companies like Google/Apple even think about WP/W10M?

Less than 2% of the market share and you believe that Google/Apple will do the work not even Microsoft think is fruitful?
Microsoft has made themself the newcomer (even though MS made smart phones long before both Google and Apple).

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft isn't chasing market share or numbers any more, that much has been known for a good couple of months now.

Microsoft is supporting it's users regardless of what platform they're using, whether that be phone/pc/tablet/Apple/Android, Microsoft users are everywhere.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

It isn't a matter of priority. Android and iOS apps were already in market. Microsoft had to build Outlook for Windows from scratch. It is a matter of scale. Say 5% of Android and iOS users download the Outlook app..that is more users than 100% of Windows Phone users. It isn't slapping Windows users in the face. It is a matter of making quality products across the board.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
It is worth noting that the Outlook Mail app is a universal one so it'll probably be worked on heavily simply because people use it on the desktop as well. They've been fairly quick on getting features out all things considering and I expect we'll see a more feature complete mail app within a few months.

Honestly this place is getting depressing and I've only been around for a few months. Doom and Gloom and Woe is me are pretty annoying to read all the time.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
It isn't a matter of priority. Android and iOS apps were already in market. Microsoft had to build Outlook for Windows from scratch. It is a matter of scale. Say 5% of Android and iOS users download the Outlook app..that is more users than 100% of Windows Phone users. It isn't slapping Windows users in the face. It is a matter of making quality products across the board.

So you're saying that a company the size of Microsoft can't make an email app on Windows Phone with the features that are on Android and iOS after one whole year? So how long should we wait for them to make the app then another 3 years?

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft isn't chasing market share or numbers any more, that much has been known for a good couple of months now.

Microsoft is supporting it's users regardless of what platform they're using, whether that be phone/pc/tablet/Apple/Android, Microsoft users are everywhere.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.

Nobody is complaining about Microsoft supporting Android or iOS. The only thing that people want is for Microsoft to support Windows Phone to the same extent it supports other platforms. I don't see why that is such an unreasonable request.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
See the link below, an article on Windows Central about Outlook on IOS and Windows 10 mobile.

5 reasons Microsoft's Outlook on iOS is annoyingly better than Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

The first and largest complaint on that article is related to formatting. An educated guess would say that has something to do with the default browser engine on the phone. iOS and Android both use a webkit engine, so HTML email would be optimized for Webkit. That may be the hardest fix to implement...to my knowledge, I've not seen that error yet.

But I'm not making excuses for Microsoft. There shouldn't be features missing from the Windows versions...this should be a priority.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure Google will get right on that, just as soon as Microsoft makes as version of Skype that works on Chromebooks... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium