The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-16-2015 12:31 PM
57 123
tools

Windows devices already come with outlook. You cannot uninstall it or install it again from the store (Only update), so why target them? Android/iOS devices do not come with Outlook, the idea is to try to get them to install/use it.

What would the windows store logo be doing anyways? Taking you to the windows store? And then do what? The app is already installed.

Such sensitivity!
    No, WP/W10M does not come with this Outlook. WP/W10M comes with an outdated useless piece of crap version.
    Microsoft bought the iOS version a year ago but nothing from this version has been transferred to the new W10M version of Outlook.

Buy a Windows phone and get second class features and support from everyone including Microsoft!
    (and Tiles, Continuum and an iris scanner, Wow!)
    12-15-2015 06:12 AM
    I see what you mean.
    But since the outlook app is installed by default on W10M and can't be uninstalled, we could think they just didn't put their logo there since it's pretty obvious the app is on Windows too.

But we know they're not as smart
    12-15-2015 06:59 AM
    It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Google both did the same thing?
    Hmm... the gmail app on my Note 4 allows me to access my @live email address, including with support for 2 Factor Authentication. The gmail app also supports third party eMail via manual configuration. I've no idea if Apples eMail app, whatever it is called, allows that because I'm not an Apple customer.
    12-15-2015 07:43 AM
    This is true. But will Google ever create a YouTube app or even a Google Maps for Windows ? Will Apple provide an iTunes store app or an ApplePay app?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-15-2015 07:54 AM
    With the Microsoft accounts, I think Microsoft should "know" which devices we are using. We shouldn't get the e-mail if we don't use IOS/Android. It is indeed sad to receive such an email as a completely Windows user.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-15-2015 07:57 AM
    This is true. But will Google ever create a YouTube app or even a Google Maps for Windows ? Will Apple provide an iTunes store app or an ApplePay app?
    Why would they?
    IF Microsoft is doing great by going for the numbers (iOS/Android) why would then companies like Google/Apple even think about WP/W10M?

Less than 2% of the market share and you believe that Google/Apple will do the work not even Microsoft think is fruitful?
    Microsoft has made themself the newcomer (even though MS made smart phones long before both Google and Apple).
    Last edited by Ian_Superfly; 12-15-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    chuckdaly likes this.
    12-15-2015 08:19 AM
    Microsoft isn't chasing market share or numbers any more, that much has been known for a good couple of months now.

Microsoft is supporting it's users regardless of what platform they're using, whether that be phone/pc/tablet/Apple/Android, Microsoft users are everywhere.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.
    jmshub likes this.
    12-15-2015 09:29 AM
    True, but Microsoft took over Acompli in December 2014. They have had more than a year to make the Windows Phone version achieve feature parity with the iOS and Android versions. But even now, the Windows Phone version lags behind it's iOS and Android counterparts. Just shows you what a low priority Windows Phone is for Microsoft.
    It isn't a matter of priority. Android and iOS apps were already in market. Microsoft had to build Outlook for Windows from scratch. It is a matter of scale. Say 5% of Android and iOS users download the Outlook app..that is more users than 100% of Windows Phone users. It isn't slapping Windows users in the face. It is a matter of making quality products across the board.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-15-2015 09:58 AM
    It is worth noting that the Outlook Mail app is a universal one so it'll probably be worked on heavily simply because people use it on the desktop as well. They've been fairly quick on getting features out all things considering and I expect we'll see a more feature complete mail app within a few months.

Honestly this place is getting depressing and I've only been around for a few months. Doom and Gloom and Woe is me are pretty annoying to read all the time.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-15-2015 10:07 AM
    It isn't a matter of priority. Android and iOS apps were already in market. Microsoft had to build Outlook for Windows from scratch. It is a matter of scale. Say 5% of Android and iOS users download the Outlook app..that is more users than 100% of Windows Phone users. It isn't slapping Windows users in the face. It is a matter of making quality products across the board.
    So you're saying that a company the size of Microsoft can't make an email app on Windows Phone with the features that are on Android and iOS after one whole year? So how long should we wait for them to make the app then another 3 years?
    12-15-2015 10:14 AM
    I never said the apps don't have parity. What is missing from the Windows version of the apps?
    12-15-2015 10:15 AM
    Microsoft isn't chasing market share or numbers any more, that much has been known for a good couple of months now.

Microsoft is supporting it's users regardless of what platform they're using, whether that be phone/pc/tablet/Apple/Android, Microsoft users are everywhere.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with that.
    Nobody is complaining about Microsoft supporting Android or iOS. The only thing that people want is for Microsoft to support Windows Phone to the same extent it supports other platforms. I don't see why that is such an unreasonable request.
    Ian_Superfly, 11B1P and xandros9 like this.
    12-15-2015 10:25 AM
    I never said the apps don't have parity. What is missing from the Windows version of the apps?
    See the link below, an article on Windows Central about Outlook on IOS and Windows 10 mobile.

http://www.windowscentral.com/5-reas...dows-10-mobile
    12-15-2015 10:28 AM
    See the link below, an article on Windows Central about Outlook on IOS and Windows 10 mobile.

5 reasons Microsoft's Outlook on iOS is annoyingly better than Outlook on Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central
    The first and largest complaint on that article is related to formatting. An educated guess would say that has something to do with the default browser engine on the phone. iOS and Android both use a webkit engine, so HTML email would be optimized for Webkit. That may be the hardest fix to implement...to my knowledge, I've not seen that error yet.

But I'm not making excuses for Microsoft. There shouldn't be features missing from the Windows versions...this should be a priority.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-15-2015 10:47 AM
    I'm sure Google will get right on that, just as soon as Microsoft makes as version of Skype that works on Chromebooks... ;)
    12-15-2015 12:34 PM
    Nobody is complaining about Microsoft supporting Android or iOS. The only thing that people want is for Microsoft to support Windows Phone to the same extent it supports other platforms. I don't see why that is such an unreasonable request.
    You nailed it! Maybe a few years ago WP had features like Office and other mobile OS didn't. Today all the Microsoft services and apps are on the three major platforms. And that's ok. This is not the issue. It is understandable. Because Microsoft is a company, so they want to sell and make money. And this is why there are on Android and iOS. Being on these two platforms they cover 90% of the market.
    This is also probably one of the main reasons why Google doesn't make apps for WP/W10M. Because they cover already 90% of the market.

Here is the problem: Even MS apps and services are better on Android and iOS. That is what people complain about. And that is what makes them loose faith in WP.
    MS wants to sell their phones/mobile OS (at least I hope so). But how will people buy their phones if even their own apps are worse on their won platform? What is the point of buying a WP if you can have better MS apps elsewhere plus all the apps you want?
    Ian_Superfly, 11B1P and xandros9 like this.
    12-15-2015 02:58 PM
    I'm sure Google will get right on that, just as soon as Microsoft makes as version of Skype that works on Chromebooks... ;)
    Wasn't hard for me to find something and I've never used Chromebook in my life. It does run all Chrome Apps, yes? Found this in the Chrome App store...

capture02.png
    Guytronic, Harrie-S and xandros9 like this.
    12-15-2015 04:18 PM
    At least iOS and Android users will get a decent HTML email experience...
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-15-2015 04:39 PM
    Maybe C# is more difficult to program?
    C# s no more difficult than java. ObjectiveC would be the least friendly of the three. Assuming they aren't just using Xamarin, which would be the smart way to go.
    12-15-2015 07:10 PM
    Wasn't hard for me to find something and I've never used Chromebook in my life. It does run all Chrome Apps, yes? Found this in the Chrome App store...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture02.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	118964
    Chat works, video is busted on ChromeOS. Has been a long time. You get a "This operating system is not supported" when you try. Long been an issue, and MS knows about it. Their response was to put the "This operating system is not supported." error message in rather than just having people see broken video chat screens.

MS doesn't care. They also bought out N-Trig, which is bad because they then retired a bunch of the really good N-Trig pens my wife wanted to use with the new VIAO's. The only way you can get N-Trig style pens is through MS now, and the selection is much more limited because they are really designed only for the surface. (This was a big deal for my wife, as the feel of the pens due to the rubber tip blows away wacom on tactile function).

Because MS CARES about all its customers. No really they do! *still grumbling that MS refused to replace his one month old XBOX 360 that was red ringing of death back in the day*
    12-15-2015 09:11 PM
    Don't worry Window Phone users, you're not the only ones catching slaps to the face.

Apple users complain of pop-up ads telling them to buy a better iPhone | The Verge
    12-15-2015 09:11 PM
    It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

You are so spot on. Microsoft is a software and services company -- and a very good one. They are supporting their customers regardless of platform. And, as you so rightly noted, if only Apple and Google did the same.
    12-15-2015 10:23 PM

It would be great, for us as consumers.

From their side, they are each doing what generates the most profit. Each of them would no doubt do what the other is doing if they were in the others' shoes.

It has nothing to do with being nice, except to maximize how much money you give them. It is to make money; nothing more, nothing less. To think otherwise is naive.
    rhapdog likes this.
    12-15-2015 11:26 PM
    I'm willing to give MS until Redstone 1 comes out to fix their 1st party UWP situation. If it's still garbage by August 1, 2016 I'll join the chorus of haters.
    12-16-2015 12:18 AM
    Having MS apps on Android/IOS makes perfect sense but as Windows users it is also totally reasonable for us to be annoyed that the same apps on Windows have less features.
    The biggest issue with Windows mobile has always been apps and at the very least the MS apps should be optimal on their own platform and all should be universal apps if only to end the fact it is mentioned every time one of their apps is reviewed on other platforms. This just fuels the perception that W10M is a dead duck.
    12-16-2015 03:59 AM
57 123