12-16-2015 12:31 PM
57 123
tools
    It would be great, for us as consumers.

From their side, they are each doing what generates the most profit. Each of them would no doubt do what the other is doing if they were in the others' shoes.

It has nothing to do with being nice, except to maximize how much money you give them. It is to make money; nothing more, nothing less. To think otherwise is naive.
    Except, MS is still spending money developing W10M and building W10M hardware. By prioritising their software support for iOS and Android, they give less reason for consumers to buy in to W10M. Why develop a competing OS, if first party development isn't first priority? Google offers almost all of its services on iOS, but I've never read that they work better on iOS than on Android. Its great that people want to support MS and W10M, but when will MS support you? My guess everyone will give the same answer they have been giving since 2012: Soon.
    tgp and Ian_Superfly like this.
    12-16-2015 07:40 AM
    Except, MS is still spending money developing W10M and building W10M hardware. By prioritising their software support for iOS and Android, they give less reason for consumers to buy in to W10M. Why develop a competing OS, if first party development isn't first priority? Google offers almost all of its services on iOS, but I've never read that they work better on iOS than on Android. Its great that people want to support MS and W10M, but when will MS support you? My guess everyone will give the same answer they have been giving since 2012: Soon.
    Yes this is logical. Microsoft evidently feels that they have more to gain than to lose by putting their services on iOS and Android, and arguably prioritizing there. Undoubtedly Apple and Google could gain users by putting their services on other platforms (Google already is on iOS), but the dynamics are vastly different. They would probably lose more than they would gain, financially speaking. Sure, they would realize more users, but when you take into consideration the cost of development, and the effects on their own market share, they have calculated that it does not pencil. For Microsoft, after taking the same things into consideration, it pencils.

It's not that Microsoft is "being nice", or that Google and Apple aren't. That is the net result, but that's not why Microsoft is doing it. Their reasoning all stems back to the bottom line.

The three companies all have different business models. Apple primarily sells hardware. They have little reason to get users on other platforms to use their services. They want to sell them iPhones and iPads. Microsoft sells services. They have a much smaller reason to sell hardware. In fact, if they had a way to make their services default on iOS and Android, they would have no reason at all for selling smartphones. Google needs users, but WP is not big enough to worry about at the moment. Windows on the desktop is huge, and Google is all over that.
    Migi2015 likes this.
    12-16-2015 08:47 AM
    Yes, this is MS's slap on WP users faces.
    They send this to my outlook account.
    What a tragedy.
    12-16-2015 10:27 AM
    Market share for WP will only grow if some current Android and iPhone users switch to WP, obviously. The reason this is bad is because it sends the message to current Android and IOS users that WP doesn't exist. Who is going to look into an OS that even it's manufacturer doesn't feel is worth acknowledging in its own advertising?
    omerfbingol and Ian_Superfly like this.
    12-16-2015 11:16 AM
    Can people PLEAESE stop looking for reasons to be offended and outraged? there is enough rotten crap going on in the world, and this is what upsets you?
    missylob and Harrie-S like this.
    12-16-2015 12:13 PM
    Can people PLEAESE stop looking for reasons to be offended and outraged? there is enough rotten crap going on in the world, and this is what upsets you?
    I am offended that you are not offended!! We live in the age where someone takes offense when someone else wears a hijab, when someone else uses a different phone OS, and now when a company sends an email advertising their product (oh the horror!!!!), etc., even though these types of things don't actually affect them in the slightest. It seems like people make a living off of being offended.

l
    lcw731 likes this.
    12-16-2015 12:22 PM
    This thread has now come to its conclusion.
    HeyCori, jmshub, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    12-16-2015 12:31 PM
57 123