I felt like this is MS's slap on WP users faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortugaOnline

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Nobody is complaining about Microsoft supporting Android or iOS. The only thing that people want is for Microsoft to support Windows Phone to the same extent it supports other platforms. I don't see why that is such an unreasonable request.

You nailed it! Maybe a few years ago WP had features like Office and other mobile OS didn't. Today all the Microsoft services and apps are on the three major platforms. And that's ok. This is not the issue. It is understandable. Because Microsoft is a company, so they want to sell and make money. And this is why there are on Android and iOS. Being on these two platforms they cover 90% of the market.
This is also probably one of the main reasons why Google doesn't make apps for WP/W10M. Because they cover already 90% of the market.

Here is the problem: Even MS apps and services are better on Android and iOS. That is what people complain about. And that is what makes them loose faith in WP.
MS wants to sell their phones/mobile OS (at least I hope so). But how will people buy their phones if even their own apps are worse on their won platform? What is the point of buying a WP if you can have better MS apps elsewhere plus all the apps you want?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Google will get right on that, just as soon as Microsoft makes as version of Skype that works on Chromebooks... ;)

Wasn't hard for me to find something and I've never used Chromebook in my life. It does run all Chrome Apps, yes? Found this in the Chrome App store...

Capture02.png

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Wasn't hard for me to find something and I've never used Chromebook in my life. It does run all Chrome Apps, yes? Found this in the Chrome App store...

View attachment 118964

Chat works, video is busted on ChromeOS. Has been a long time. You get a "This operating system is not supported" when you try. Long been an issue, and MS knows about it. Their response was to put the "This operating system is not supported." error message in rather than just having people see broken video chat screens.

MS doesn't care. They also bought out N-Trig, which is bad because they then retired a bunch of the really good N-Trig pens my wife wanted to use with the new VIAO's. The only way you can get N-Trig style pens is through MS now, and the selection is much more limited because they are really designed only for the surface. (This was a big deal for my wife, as the feel of the pens due to the rubber tip blows away wacom on tactile function).

Because MS CARES about all its customers. No really they do! *still grumbling that MS refused to replace his one month old XBOX 360 that was red ringing of death back in the day*

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Google both did the same thing?

You are so spot on. Microsoft is a software and services company -- and a very good one. They are supporting their customers regardless of platform. And, as you so rightly noted, if only Apple and Google did the same.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Google both did the same thing?

It would be great, for us as consumers.

From their side, they are each doing what generates the most profit. Each of them would no doubt do what the other is doing if they were in the others' shoes.

It has nothing to do with being nice, except to maximize how much money you give them. It is to make money; nothing more, nothing less. To think otherwise is naive.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm willing to give MS until Redstone 1 comes out to fix their 1st party UWP situation. If it's still garbage by August 1, 2016 I'll join the chorus of haters.

sparkies

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Having MS apps on Android/IOS makes perfect sense but as Windows users it is also totally reasonable for us to be annoyed that the same apps on Windows have less features.
The biggest issue with Windows mobile has always been apps and at the very least the MS apps should be optimal on their own platform and all should be universal apps if only to end the fact it is mentioned every time one of their apps is reviewed on other platforms. This just fuels the perception that W10M is a dead duck.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
It would be great, for us as consumers.

From their side, they are each doing what generates the most profit. Each of them would no doubt do what the other is doing if they were in the others' shoes.

It has nothing to do with being nice, except to maximize how much money you give them. It is to make money; nothing more, nothing less. To think otherwise is naive.

Except, MS is still spending money developing W10M and building W10M hardware. By prioritising their software support for iOS and Android, they give less reason for consumers to buy in to W10M. Why develop a competing OS, if first party development isn't first priority? Google offers almost all of its services on iOS, but I've never read that they work better on iOS than on Android. Its great that people want to support MS and W10M, but when will MS support you? My guess everyone will give the same answer they have been giving since 2012: Soon.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Except, MS is still spending money developing W10M and building W10M hardware. By prioritising their software support for iOS and Android, they give less reason for consumers to buy in to W10M. Why develop a competing OS, if first party development isn't first priority? Google offers almost all of its services on iOS, but I've never read that they work better on iOS than on Android. Its great that people want to support MS and W10M, but when will MS support you? My guess everyone will give the same answer they have been giving since 2012: Soon.

Yes this is logical. Microsoft evidently feels that they have more to gain than to lose by putting their services on iOS and Android, and arguably prioritizing there. Undoubtedly Apple and Google could gain users by putting their services on other platforms (Google already is on iOS), but the dynamics are vastly different. They would probably lose more than they would gain, financially speaking. Sure, they would realize more users, but when you take into consideration the cost of development, and the effects on their own market share, they have calculated that it does not pencil. For Microsoft, after taking the same things into consideration, it pencils.

It's not that Microsoft is "being nice", or that Google and Apple aren't. That is the net result, but that's not why Microsoft is doing it. Their reasoning all stems back to the bottom line.

The three companies all have different business models. Apple primarily sells hardware. They have little reason to get users on other platforms to use their services. They want to sell them iPhones and iPads. Microsoft sells services. They have a much smaller reason to sell hardware. In fact, if they had a way to make their services default on iOS and Android, they would have no reason at all for selling smartphones. Google needs users, but WP is not big enough to worry about at the moment. Windows on the desktop is huge, and Google is all over that.

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Market share for WP will only grow if some current Android and iPhone users switch to WP, obviously. The reason this is bad is because it sends the message to current Android and IOS users that WP doesn't exist. Who is going to look into an OS that even it's manufacturer doesn't feel is worth acknowledging in its own advertising?

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Can people PLEAESE stop looking for reasons to be offended and outraged? there is enough rotten crap going on in the world, and this is what upsets you?

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Can people PLEAESE stop looking for reasons to be offended and outraged? there is enough rotten crap going on in the world, and this is what upsets you?

I am offended that you are not offended!! We live in the age where someone takes offense when someone else wears a hijab, when someone else uses a different phone OS, and now when a company sends an email advertising their product (oh the horror!!!!), etc., even though these types of things don't actually affect them in the slightest. It seems like people make a living off of being offended.

l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs