I felt like this is MS's slap on WP users faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So I get this email which I am sure many of you have got as well but why?
We all have read/ heard about how the MS apps are better if not best compared to WP apps and also how many say that is a good move for business that you hook others on to windows experience and hope that they stay windows users for ever,

So if the IPhone and android users are being enticed to start using windows phone instead and the windows phone users don't get to experience what the droids or apple users get what will happen when the other eco systems come to use windows phone? Wp users already complaining about not getting what apple and droid get! What is the whole point? Recently I got an email and here is a snapshot. Is MS rubbing it in like all other developers out there with just the apple and android logos? Wouldn't MS already know that I already use MS only?ms.jpg

Attachments

• ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 49

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I do not understand what your concern is?

Microsoft had to make apps for Android and IOS since MS is a software company first, hardware second.

I think MS should be commanded for supporting Windows Phone despite the circumstances.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Google both did the same thing?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to support it's customers on other platforms, it's only doing what good software companies do.

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and Google both did the same thing?

Agreed, I would love it if the big three were more platform agnostic. I think Microsoft realized you have to support your customers where they are, not where you want them to be.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I would love it if the big three were more platform agnostic. I think Microsoft realized you have to support your customers where they are, not where you want them to be.

That would be like a perfect world (at least tech wise)

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I think what the OP is talking about is the lack of a Microsoft Store logo, thus reinforcing that there are only two app stores, and by extension, only two platforms.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
That is true - but again - I think the OP is meaning just in general. If Microsoft isn't going to take any opportunity to promote their app store, why should anyone else.

And Outlook is available as a standalone download from the app store, so it wouldn't exactly be out of order to promote it separately as well.

In the end, its just a few kb of pixels on a screen that cost essentially nothing to get in front of people's eyeballs. In thinking this through, about the only time I can recall seeing all three store logos together out in the wild that stands out to me is for Walgreen's app (US Pharamacy chain).

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
But every Windows device has Outlook pre-installed, so why would there be a link to the Windows store? :p

The next post answered your question. Where I found it interesting is that I got the mail to my id which is a MS account. Now why would a wp user get a promo mail having apple and android logos?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think what the OP is talking about is the lack of a Microsoft Store logo, thus reinforcing that there are only two app stores, and by extension, only two platforms.

But every Windows device has Outlook pre-installed, so why would there be a link to the Windows store? :p

They don't advertise the Cortana app with a Windows logo & store link either. Why? Because it's baked into the Operating System. Just like Outlook is for WP8.1 and down. Outlook wasn't an app in the app store until Windows 10 Mobile. And Windows 10 Mobile is only commercial on three models right now. And Outlook is preloaded on all three of them.

That is true - but again - I think the OP is meaning just in general. If Microsoft isn't going to take any opportunity to promote their app store, why should anyone else.

And Outlook is available as a standalone download from the app store, so it wouldn't exactly be out of order to promote it separately as well.

In the end, its just a few kb of pixels on a screen that cost essentially nothing to get in front of people's eyeballs. In thinking this through, about the only time I can recall seeing all three store logos together out in the wild that stands out to me is for Walgreen's app (US Pharamacy chain).

I see where you're coming from. But this is such a small matter. It's not a slap in the face to anyone. It's business as usual.

Maybe we as a community should quit trying to play the victim, and simply acknowledge that Microsoft is doing their best to market their services on multiple platforms. Let's cheer them on rather than crying about it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I do not understand what your concern is?

Microsoft had to make apps for Android and IOS since MS is a software company first, hardware second.

Good grief, that's not the point. The point is, why is MS making Outlook a better experience on competing platforms. Why in the world would an ios or android user leave their platform when they have a better functioning app?? MS is not doing anything to make our experience the "cream of the crop". Heck, the ios and android users have no reason to move to WP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good grief, that's not the point. The point is, why is MS making Outlook a better experience on competing platforms. Why in the world would an ios or android user leave their platform when they have a better functioning app?? MS is not doing anything to make our experience the "cream of the crop". Heck, the ios and android users have no reason to move to WP.
The Outlook app for iOS/Android is not new. It's been around for years. It was originally from Accompli, which Microsoft bought out. Microsoft basically slapped a new name on an existing app after it bought the company. It didn't need to make anything brand new from scratch.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
The Outlook app for iOS/Android is not new. It's been around for years. It was originally from Accompli, which Microsoft bought out. Microsoft basically slapped a new name on an existing app after it bought the company. It didn't need to make anything brand new from scratch.

Yeah let's pretend they haven't done significant improvements on that app since they bought it. Just slapped a new name and no revs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel