The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-22-2015 02:13 AM
82 1234
tools
    Right. Microsoft are the ones who made a big deal about providing free office, then they add the complication of having to know which size screen you have to be able to edit.
    I have and will always have Office365 so this doesn't matter to me BUT maybe someone can explain to me just how a phone using continuum knows the physical dimensions of the screen that's connected. It would seem to me that if the free office stopped working over Continuum when connected to a 10" screen it would be in violation of the policy of not charging for small screen sizes AND if the device can't tell the physical size of the attached monitor it might not be legal to prevent Office from working with the current wording. I believe some/most devices today do make the model name available to systems they are attached to so its POSSIBLE Microsoft could do some sort of diagonal measurement lookup based on the device name for those devices.
    12-19-2015 03:09 PM
    Indeed you have a point and it should be possible and maybe MS already knows how to do it or even already does. But how many people have < 10 inch monitor with the proper connections to be useful as continuum device for office.
    12-19-2015 03:47 PM
    So, apparently many people think Microsoft is a charity and should be giving away everything. Free Windows 10. Check. Free upgrade to Windows 10 mobile. Check. You do realize that Microsoft has to monetize something? Office revenue makes it possible for them to provide those other things to us for free, so I have no complaints about Office and neither should any of you. It's still free to use when it's just being used on the phone.
    Also, some of you should look up the definition of bait and switch because you clearly don't know what it is.
    12-19-2015 03:50 PM
    They announced that anything over 10'' was going cost money back in March... You have no leg to stand on in this argument.
    12-19-2015 04:09 PM
    I am puzzled by the ignorance many people have about business and economics. News flash: People and companies need to be paid. It isn't magic. Everything can't be free. What kind of person asks for charity? If businesses and app developers could make good money on Windows Phone apps, no matter how many phones were sold, they would flock to the platform. Simple economics. Isn't crying "I want it to be free or I'll go home." childish.
    - Rant over. Thank you for reading.

Best Wishes.
    So you think MS will be successful selling phones without giving anything that the competition can't offer? You believe W10M without A LOT extra will be able to lure people to ditch their android/ios apps and go for W10M?
    12-19-2015 04:10 PM
    So, apparently many people think Microsoft is a charity and should be giving away everything. Free Windows 10. Check. Free upgrade to Windows 10 mobile. Check. You do realize that Microsoft has to monetize something? Office revenue makes it possible for them to provide those other things to us for free, so I have no complaints about Office and neither should any of you. It's still free to use when it's just being used on the phone.
    Also, some of you should look up the definition of bait and switch because you clearly don't know what it is.
    They will not make much money on phones if they don't sell any...
    sleeve22, Laura Knotek and rdubmu like this.
    12-19-2015 04:11 PM
    Can someone tell me if a 9-10" device displays office in the mobile fashion or in the continuum fashion? If it is the latter then this seems very silly. Since you can just mirror the display. If it is the former then it would be nice to edit in the mobile ui.
    12-19-2015 04:29 PM
    The problem with this is the average purchaser in an AT&T store will not be told they have to purchase Office 365 to make Continuum work properly. Obviously, MS is doing everything possible to push Office 365 on as many people as possible, but I think they are going about this in the wrong manner. There should at least be a one-year trial period of Office 365 included along with at least a one-year trial of 30GB or so of One Drive. Obscuring the fact that major phone features are basically crippled unless you purchase auxiliary subscriptions is a sure way to PO customers. I just hope that people learn these things within the 30-day money back guarantee period, or they will be seriously ticked off. The other thing is that pushing Office 365 to average consumers is just stupid--it is way overkill for the average person, and will simply drive them away from MS. Maybe the intention is to begin only catering to the enterprise market.
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    12-19-2015 05:17 PM
    So you think MS will be successful selling phones without giving anything that the competition can't offer? You believe W10M without A LOT extra will be able to lure people to ditch their android/ios apps and go for W10M?
    Although I am one of the first to promote the purchase of Microsoft product vs open source in some cases as it is all to common to see lack of continuing support fro a open source solution (which I keep referencing as implied "free" of cost) fade away and the product die cause no one ends up maintaining it, this thread is about a product included for free with hardware. Much like when people buy Windows with a piece of hardware (oem license). A quick note, Windows 10 is not free. Windows 10 upgrades fro ma previous license of Windows are free. If you were to buy/build a new machine you would need to buy a new Windows 10 license. If you buy a new computer (notebook/tablet/desktop/etc) from an OEM, you may (not guaranteed of course, but highly likely) be getting a new computer with a new Windows 10 license included in the cost (oem license).

Here we have a number of people, group if you want to call them that and include me at this point, that is used to getting these Office apps with an ability to use them in perpetuity. Be it older phones purchased with some form of Windows Phone 8.x plus Office apps (phone came with the apps, phone was paid for, Windows/apps is oem license) or our newer Windows 10 based Lumia 950/950XL's and the 550/others to come.

@All, always possible there will be exceptions. Perhaps no free Excel/Word/Powerpoint/etc for only the lower end phones ($100-200 unlocked/off-contract range) but still free on the higher end $600+ range devices. (I say this as I am still considering the return of my unlocked 950 XL, partially cause of things like Office but mostly recent experiences with MicrosoftStore.com customer service being less than ideal).
    12-19-2015 05:44 PM
    In a remarkably short period of time (less than 30 days), Continuum via the 950(XL) has gone from the vast majority of comments being similar to "It doesn't apply to me", or "I'll never use it. It's stupid. Am I going to carry around an extra monitor?"...............................

to now folks apparently all intending to do their Excel Spreadsheet editing via Continuum.

I ain't buying it. In fact, I think the vast majority of folks that really WILL actually be using Continuum to be "productive like a boss", already have licensed Office 365. (Or certainly will choose to)

Notice I make no claim to the fairness or not of this policy. I am only implying that most of the gnashing of teeth isn't by people who are going to use Continuum for this anyway. Instead, it's just some stance on some principle. (Which I admittedly don't share)
    12-19-2015 07:05 PM
    Lol love the entitlement some people have.

It's free for quite a while, enjoy it while it's free and if you find it helps you then buy it and then you can use it on all your devices.

It says so right in the footnotes on their website and it always had said that when you chose to buy these phones. I was quite aware of it, not sure why nobody else was.

[3] App availability and experience varies by device and market. Some apps and content sold separately. Microsoft account and Wi-Fi or data connection required for some features; carrier fees apply. Screen simulated; appearance will vary. Office 365 subscription required for some Office features. E
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-19-2015 07:39 PM
    I understand that they are having office on continuum conform to their standard pricing model for Office, but I think if they left it free, then it would have done a lot to help draw people to Windows Phone.
    12-19-2015 08:18 PM
    I get your point. But if using Office via Continuum is appealing enough to a potential customer, they WILL "be drawn to Windows 10 mobile"
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-19-2015 10:42 PM
    I understand that they are having office on continuum conform to their standard pricing model for Office, but I think if they left it free, then it would have done a lot to help draw people to Windows Phone.
    Let me start by saying I have a Microsoft 365 Subscription. I however agree with the outcries and what ferret has said.

Why does Microsoft insist on doing things the way they do.

Well we have this cool new feature, but wait you need to buy that dock!!! Oh did I mention that the dock could be free if you purchase the Lumia 950XL and go through this app. Oh the app isn't working for you? Try resetting and then do it! Oh it has been reset and it's now back ordered? So now that I may finally have my continuum dock I need a subscription.

It's very hard to showcase and draw people into this ecosystem when their experience or info is given in the way that they've done above. Anyone who doesn't hangout or follow these forums/Microsoft have no idea on these details.
    12-19-2015 10:53 PM
    I ain't buying it. In fact, I think the vast majority of folks that really WILL actually be using Continuum to be "productive like a boss", already have licensed Office 365. (Or certainly will choose to)
    In general, I agree. I don't expect to use it much and I have a licensed version of desktop office (which for me is cheaper than office 365). I was disappointed to learn that I cannot use the continuum version so I will most likely just mirror my display instead or possibly use the web apps if they work decently.

I mostly find it weird because it is the same interface if you used a 9" tablet instead. Then hook up a keyboard, mouse and external screen via mirroring and then you have free office. At least as far as I know you don't gain any extra features with continuum, it just changes the interface to be more mouse and keyboard friendly.
    12-20-2015 12:39 AM
    In a remarkably short period of time (less than 30 days), Continuum via the 950(XL) has gone from the vast majority of comments being similar to "It doesn't apply to me", or "I'll never use it. It's stupid. Am I going to carry around an extra monitor?"...............................

to now folks apparently all intending to do their Excel Spreadsheet editing via Continuum.

I ain't buying it.....
    I think you have it wrong. My expectation is I will almost NEVER use office on continuum. However, I don't want to lease office 365 for the one or two times I do have to use it.

Let's say I am at some meeting and I have to pop up a spreadsheet to show every one something. Whoops, there's a mistake! Well I will just fix that and....CRAP, YOU CANNOT EDIT THAT CELL without a office 365 subscription. What, you bought Office professional 2013 for $400 and worked on that spreadsheet all last week before moving that file to the cloud for this meeting?"

TOO BAD SUCKER, you should have bought office 365 too! HA HA HA HA HA
    Love, Microsoft Office Team
    rdubmu, theefman and Andrew Gordon like this.
    12-20-2015 01:21 AM
    I think you have it wrong. My expectation is I will almost NEVER use office on continuum. However, I don't want to lease office 365 for the one or two times I do have to use it.

Let's say I am at some meeting and I have to pop up a spreadsheet to show every one something. Whoops, there's a mistake! Well I will just fix that and....CRAP, YOU CANNOT EDIT THAT CELL without a office 365 subscription. What, you bought Office professional 2013 for $400 and worked on that spreadsheet all last week before moving that file to the cloud for this meeting?"

Wouldn't you be using a work Office365 account if you are making presentations for meetings? Wouldn't that be paid for by your employer?
    Guytronic, Kevin Rush and N_LaRUE like this.
    12-20-2015 01:34 AM

Notice I make no claim to the fairness or not of this policy. I am only implying that most of the gnashing of teeth isn't by people who are going to use Continuum for this anyway. Instead, it's just some stance on some principle. (Which I admittedly don't share)
    I personally do not see Continuum as a game changer (at least in many years) but it was at least "on the positive side". Without it W10M has only live tiles left as something the competition does not have (out of the box).

I guess (as you guess I am wrong) that freely giving away Continuum as a fully working feature would at least be something that could raise some interest for windows phones.
    With less than 2% market share and many customers already having 365 (private or at work) I guess the cost of leaving this a feature untouched would have cost Microsoft less than what this removal of features will damage W10M.

Can you see any reasons why the 98% that today do not choose WP/W10M would change their mind?? Is there anything left in W10M that would make it sane for any customer already invested in Google play/Apple store to choose W10M?
    Universal apps? I think that is BS compared to what 98% already are invested in.
    Last edited by Ian_Superfly; 12-20-2015 at 04:49 AM.
    12-20-2015 02:31 AM
    I have and will always have Office365 so this doesn't matter to me BUT maybe someone can explain to me just how a phone using continuum knows the physical dimensions of the screen that's connected. It would seem to me that if the free office stopped working over Continuum when connected to a 10" screen it would be in violation of the policy of not charging for small screen sizes AND if the device can't tell the physical size of the attached monitor it might not be legal to prevent Office from working with the current wording. I believe some/most devices today do make the model name available to systems they are attached to so its POSSIBLE Microsoft could do some sort of diagonal measurement lookup based on the device name for those devices.
    Serious question.... do people really plan to use continuum on a s teen less than 10 inches? heck, all thought the point of continuum was so you could output your phone onto a larger monitor or tv. Outputting on a screen less than 10inches, I'd you can even find an external display that size that works with the dock... seems entirely redundant and probably why Microsoft made office 365 cost a subscription on continuum... because a larger display is the entire point of using it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android, Samsung Note 4
    12-20-2015 06:16 AM
    I get your point. But if using Office via Continuum is appealing enough to a potential customer, they WILL "be drawn to Windows 10 mobile"
    Nobody is going to change their platform for office. Most people using phones are average consumers. Maybe ms should make all apps free and developers should too. Yeah that will draw users..... Mobile phones thrive because developers make money. I can do quite a lot on my xl without a big screen. You can even connect a mouse and keyboard. It's free on the phone, enjoy it. This is the whole problem with windows phone and why developers leave. Everyone expects things to be free. Which is why selling cheap phones didn't work for ms. Cheap phones are purchased by cheap people.
    12-20-2015 07:57 AM

You should have came prepared. I would fire you for blaming something else.
    12-20-2015 08:01 AM
    Nobody is going to change their platform for office. Most people using phones are average consumers. Maybe ms should make all apps free and developers should too. Yeah that will draw users..... Mobile phones thrive because developers make money. I can do quite a lot on my xl without a big screen. You can even connect a mouse and keyboard. It's free on the phone, enjoy it. This is the whole problem with windows phone and why developers leave. Everyone expects things to be free. Which is why selling cheap phones didn't work for ms. Cheap phones are purchased by cheap people.
    The problem is your average user probably won't know that they need 365 cause nothing ever really mentioned that they need to buy 365 for the phone. In fact office for WP was always free. Why does it cost to project for a mouse and keyboard friendly interface. I think it's silly.

So where do I find a 9 inch display to avoid this cost? I guarantee it's not about the size of the screen, but about the feature itself.
    12-20-2015 12:55 PM
    The problem is your average user probably won't know that they need 365 cause nothing ever really mentioned that they need to buy 365 for the phone. In fact office for WP was always free. Why does it cost to project for a mouse and keyboard friendly interface. I think it's silly.

So where do I find a 9 inch display to avoid this cost? I guarantee it's not about the size of the screen, but about the feature itself.
    Yes free for phones. And it still is. And yes it's the feature, as was mentioned in the footnotes of the 950/950xl in the MS store.

Continuum lets you use desktop versions of apps, but you still need those apps and the features that would come with the desktop version. You're actually running the desktop version. The same way you would run it on the desktop. You can carry your laptop around instead, but then you need the subscription anyways. So this just makes things more convenient. In a world where MS is trying to create a new paradigm where phones will become both your phone and computer, they would make no money if all of a sudden everyone was using phones in the future and had free services. They make way more money from office/cloud stuff than they would even if they had 40% market share for windows.

Sounds pretty simple to me. When I bought the lumia 830, i had those office apps. I didn't know they were free or full featured, I don't really use them. People that use this stuff usually pay for it. 7/month is not expensive and they can cancel for a few months here and there if they don't need to use it. There's no contract, it's a monthly service.

Just buy one less sandwich that month.
    12-20-2015 02:47 PM
    Yes free for phones. And it still is. And yes it's the feature, as was mentioned in the footnotes of the 950/950xl in the MS store.

Continuum lets you use desktop versions of apps, but you still need those apps and the features that would come with the desktop version. You're actually running the desktop version. The same way you would run it on the desktop. You can carry your laptop around instead, but then you need the subscription anyways. So this just makes things more convenient. In a world where MS is trying to create a new paradigm where phones will become both your phone and computer, they would make no money if all of a sudden everyone was using phones in the future and had free services. They make way more money from office/cloud stuff than they would even if they had 40% market share for windows.

Sounds pretty simple to me. When I bought the lumia 830, i had those office apps. I didn't know they were free or full featured, I don't really use them. People that use this stuff usually pay for it. 7/month is not expensive and they can cancel for a few months here and there if they don't need to use it. There's no contract, it's a monthly service.

Just buy one less sandwich that month.
    I get that they make more money on the subscription and that in the end it's all about a company making money, but their problem is to even get people onto the WM10 platform in the first place.
    People rely on using office in their day to day work, but they still may prefer the convenience and the traditional method of buying the license once and keeping it for many years. Which now begs the question. Does carrying a 2-in-1 laptop really make it that much more difficult than carrying the phone, the dock, keyboard and mouse? Is it really that much more portable to carry 4 things around rather than carrying 1 machine with a cable?

Obviously yes it is form factor and preference once again, but the whole point of a 2-in-1 was to eliminate carrying multiple devices and continuum takes a step back in that. Now you also NEED the subscription to even use that feature!. I think for most people it will be easier to buy a 1 time license, install on the laptop, plug it out to a larger display and be done. Some may disagree and it is going to depend on usage and value to the customer, but at the end of the day I wouldn't willingly pay for a subscription just for Continuum.

To each their own. I like 365, but it's not for everyone and it's not the bees knees.

Also it isn't 7 a month unless you pay a full year upfront. To cancel and re-subscribe it'd be 10 dollars a month.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    12-20-2015 03:11 PM
    Seen it already, Office on Continuum, in person. Comes down to that if it is used for "business" or a as a "private consumer/user, or home use if you want to call it that", $7-10 per month for the apps we see today on Windows 10 Mobile won't fly. They are, even in Continuuum mode, not the same apps you get in Office365 on the x86/x64 full desktop versions of the OS/apps.

As others have said, I see it as a handy feature fro my personal phone. I actually see more value in business use fro the Continuum support + RDP client or other remote app/session client. Like Citrix support/etc for remote control. But on a home (not business) use case, these apps (Office Apps) should remain free and not just as "viewers" but the basic editing thye have evolved to be able to handle.
    12-20-2015 05:46 PM
82 1234