12-22-2015 02:13 AM
82 1234
tools
    Wouldn't you be using a work Office365 account if you are making presentations for meetings? Wouldn't that be paid for by your employer?
    No. I am in business for myself and have purchased a copy of office outright. Not everyone works in a large corporation with 365 subscriptions.

And, that is beside the point. In all the presentations I have seen of continuum--and it is well over a dozen--and in all the articles I have read, this has never been mentioned once. It has always been, check out this phone, check out continuum and look, it scales up to the full screen view when connected to a large monitor.

Think of how useful that will be!

Never. Not once, has anyone mentioned an office subscription is required. Never.
    Andrew Gordon and DavidinCT like this.
    12-20-2015 06:29 PM
    Maybe you can use Office online on Edge. That should still be free.
    Just wanted to say that Office Online is a very underrated feature. I don't know how well Continuum can handle Office Online, but it's definitely an option for those that still want to edit on the go but don't want to pay for 365.
    12-20-2015 06:52 PM
    No. I am in business for myself and have purchased a copy of office outright. Not everyone works in a large corporation with 365 subscriptions.
    Not all corporations use 365 subscriptions either they licence all their software. Each licence is different depending on the software.

I do have to ask a question though. Why do you prefer to buy the software rather than subscribe? Wouldn't it make more sense from a business perspective to have a subscription? Is it more beneficial to buy? Does one have a better advantage than the other?

I can understand the consumer mindset of wanting to 'own' something but I don't quite understand that position from a business perspective.

Though I get where you're coming from that no mention of a subscription was indicated by MS for Continuum purposes it does however fall into their 'devices with larger screens'. When you use Continuum you are using a larger screen.

So though they have made a big deal out of the whole Office with Continuum it's not surprising that they forget to mention the subscription. It's not the first time MS has not been forth coming with their advertising.

No I'm not forgiving them or making excuses but they have made a big point about the screen size and I guess they thought people would understand that with Continuum.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 12-21-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    12-21-2015 03:38 AM
    I am puzzled by the ignorance many people have about business and economics. News flash: People and companies need to be paid. It isn't magic. Everything can't be free. What kind of person asks for charity? If businesses and app developers could make good money on Windows Phone apps, no matter how many phones were sold, they would flock to the platform. Simple economics. Isn't crying "I want it to be free or I'll go home." childish.
    - Rant over. Thank you for reading.

Best Wishes.
    I am also puzzled by the ignorance of posts like this. Now, Office 365 gives you a full install of Office 2016 as part of the terms. Do you get FULL office 2016 with Continuum ? No, it's a mobile version, stripped down on features that would get on a full package.

So if you dont use Office at home and your only paying for Office 365 to use on it on Continuum. You are getting short changed, your not getting the full program that your paying for.

No question this should of been PUBLIC known BEFORE the 950 and 950XL was sold, it should of been labeled on the back of the box of the phone and it should of been listed on the web site and also said on the public annocement of the feature. This would be EXACTLY as the OP has said, a clear bait and switch. Yea, companies need to make money but, not like this.

If you purchaced something, knowing you will get a feature, then after you buy it, they change the TERMS of it, wouldn't you be upset ? I know I would be freaking ticked off. It sounds like something that could bring up a class action lawsuit if you look at it that way.

It's almost like buying that new car, you order it with lots of features including built in GPS. You get the car, and you find out you have a monthly fee to use it, something that you was not told about and was not on any of the paperwork you signed.

Then we ALSO have the fact that Windows Phone is sitting with around 2.5% marketshare in the US. WOW coool feature on a new phone, I might be able to use this, maybe I'll try WP over my current iOS device....Oh, wait, I need to pay a yearly fee to use software on my phone ? Nah, Microsoft office on my iPhone or iPad mini is free.

No question it's a bait and switch tactic from Microsoft, I know then didn't mean to do it like that but, CLEARLY that is how it looks.

And, that is beside the point. In all the presentations I have seen of continuum--and it is well over a dozen--and in all the articles I have read, this has never been mentioned once. It has always been, check out this phone, check out continuum and look, it scales up to the full screen view when connected to a large monitor.

Think of how useful that will be!

Never. Not once, has anyone mentioned an office subscription is required. Never.
    EXACTLY the problem here.
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 12-21-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    12-21-2015 09:28 AM
    Oh, wait, I need to pay a yearly fee to use software on my phone ? Nah, Microsoft office on my iPad is free..
    Buzz!

Wrong. Office on Android and iPad is not free. Please try again.

When you finally come up with a coherent and well researched answer I'll be ready to listen. I don't like BS.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2015 09:31 AM
    Buzz!

Wrong. Office on Android and iPad is not free. Please try again.

When you finally come up with a coherent and well researched answer I'll be ready to listen. I don't like BS.
    Ok, your right, my mistake, FIXED? So partly valid. Everything else I said is clearly valid.

So is that all you read ? So you can just flame or troll about it ? Good job and really helps to this subject... Clearly a bait and switch by Microsoft...
    12-21-2015 09:57 AM
    I'm curious about this, I bought office and now have it on my computer. It's not a subscription, so would I not be able to use office on continuum even though I have it? I'm confused by this because I know that office is linked to your account, so is there a way to log in?
    12-21-2015 10:12 AM
    Ok, your right, my mistake, FIXED? So partly valid. Everything else I said is clearly valid.

So is that all you read ? So you can just flame or troll about it ? Good job and really helps to this subject... Clearly a bait and switch by Microsoft...
    I don't troll. Nor do I flame.

People on the internet (this forum) get upset for the silliest things. To me this is one of them. You have free Office on your mobile. You don't have it on Continuum. Oh boo hoo.

If paying for Office 365 on Contiuum is going to stop people from using WP then MS has completely lost the plot. It's obvious that MS is targeting business use of Continuum over personal use. But then I own Office 365 so this wouldn't really be an issue for me.

Bait and switch is the idea of getting something for free and then having to pay. Nowhere has cost been mentioned with Office and Continuum one way or the other. People have just assumed. To me that's not bait and switch. That's just lack of transparency.

But we're just going on about Office. Far as I know other Continuum apps are free? Or am I assuming there isn't any other apps worthwhile of Continuum and it really is a niche thing that no one will use?
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 12-21-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    12-21-2015 10:18 AM
    I'm curious about this, I bought office and now have it on my computer. It's not a subscription, so would I not be able to use office on continuum even though I have it? I'm confused by this because I know that office is linked to your account, so is there a way to log in?
    I'd personally ask MS that question but to put it into perspective.

A Office 365 subscription gives you the ability to put it on your devices (tablets and phones). Whereas buying a single licence does not.

So I'm guessing no but I haven't found a real answer to that question.
    12-21-2015 10:20 AM
    I'd personally ask MS that question but to put it into perspective.

A Office 365 subscription gives you the ability to put it on your devices (tablets and phones). Whereas buying a single licence does not.

So I'm guessing no but I haven't found a real answer to that question.
    Thanks, I'll definitely have to ask when I look at new phones when my contract is up.
    12-21-2015 10:24 AM
    People on the internet (this forum) get upset for the silliest things. To me this is one of them. You have free Office on your mobile. You don't have it on Continuum. Oh boo hoo.
    Cry away... and it clear showed you tried to flame me, where in the term
    Buzz!
    was not a FLAME ? Clearly it was. You really need to CHECK YOURSELF.

See that is YOUR option to feel that way. When you buy a computer, for example, you buy the rights to use the software. That is how MOST people see it, and it's for the most part it's black and white....Your computer comes with XX software, when you buy it you have the RIGHTS to use it as you wish as long as you dont sell it, modify or copy it. And to NOTE, if you buy a computer with Office TRIAL on it, ON THE BOX it clearly says "Office XXXX trial"

This is assumed on a mobile phone with PRE-INSTALLED apps, the phone comes with Microsoft Office MOBILE (NOT FULL OFFICE). It was assumed when the 950 and 950XL that this WAS the case. When you got one of these models, the box did not say anything, the sales person didn't say anything, nor on the advertisements or store displays did it say ANYTHING about requiring Office 365 (a yearly/monthly fee to use) when you use a FEATURE on the phone.

I also have access to Office 365, so it's a non problem for me but, still I think Microsoft clearly pulled a bait and switch. On my work accounts I have Office 365, my personal accounts, I paid for office 2016.

With Windows Phone doing so poor in the marketplace, this is just another nail in the coffin...something Microsoft should not be doing to theirselves.

And with a LATE public notification about it, it CLEARLY looks like a bait and switch. People should of been told about it when they picked up/ordered the phone. Not after they have owned it for weeks. It's not 100% about paying for office 365, it's about how the way they did it...

I really hope someone files a class action lawsuit on this... Again not becase it costs money but, they were never told about it when they ordered it.
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 12-21-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    12-21-2015 10:52 AM
    When you got one of these models, the box did not say anything, the sales person didn't say anything, nor on the advertisements or store displays did it say ANYTHING about requiring Office 365 (a yearly/monthly fee to use) when you use a FEATURE on the phone.
    ^^This^^ Be honest here--who knew before the last few days that an Office 365 subscription was required to use Office with Continuum? There's a pattern here that is disturbing. The same thing just happened to OneDrive. How long before the next shoe drops--subscription required to keep W10 functional?
    DavidinCT likes this.
    12-21-2015 11:01 AM
    ^^This^^ Be honest here--who knew before the last few days that an Office 365 subscription was required to use Office with Continuum? There's a pattern here that is disturbing. The same thing just happened to OneDrive. How long before the next shoe drops--subscription required to keep W10 functional?
    Wecome to the *new* Microsoft, they are trying to change to this model. Windows was claimed that they were going to go this route but, after something was dropped, a public outrage came out.

Not sure about Windows 10 but, they will release in the next 5 years a new OS, and that will be on that yearly rental list. If Microsoft changes to a sub/rental for the OS, I will be going to back to 7 or even XP....

Some people dont mind a sub/rental plan, in some ways, it's cost effective for some businesses or users. It's all good but, others dont see the value, and if they stop paying one day, the software stops working.

I guess if Microsoft tries to do that at the OS level, the public will give the say if they accept it or not.
    12-21-2015 11:14 AM
    Cry away... and it clear showed you tried to flame me, where in the term was not a FLAME ? Clearly it was. You really need to CHECK YOURSELF.

See that is YOUR option to feel that way. When you buy a computer, for example, you buy the rights to use the software. That is how MOST people see it, and it's for the most part it's black and white....Your computer comes with XX software, when you buy it you have the RIGHTS to use it as you wish as long as you dont sell it, modify or copy it.

This is assumed on a mobile phone with PRE-INSTALLED apps, the phone comes with Microsoft Office MOBILE (NOT FULL OFFICE). It was assumed when the 950 and 950XL that this WAS the case. When you got one of these models, the box did not say anything, the sales person didn't say anything, nor on the advertisements or store displays did it say ANYTHING about requiring Office 365 (a yearly/monthly fee to use) when you use a FEATURE on the phone.

I also have access to Office 365, so it's a non problem for me but, still I think Microsoft clearly pulled a bait and switch. On my work accounts I have Office 365, my personal accounts, I paid for office 2016.

With Windows Phone doing so poor in the marketplace, this is just another nail in the coffin...something Microsoft should not be doing to theirselves.

And with a LATE public notification about it, it CLEARLY looks like a bait and switch. People should of been told about it when they picked up/ordered the phone. Not after they have owned it for weeks. It's not 100% about paying for office 365, it's about how the way they did it...

I really hope someone files a class action lawsuit on this... Again not becase it costs money but, they were never told about it when they ordered it.
    What's with CAPS...

No one is going to take MS to court over this. They'd lose and waste their money.

The apps are free on mobile, on a mobile screen, this has been said that it's free for device screens under 10 inches.

The fact they want customers needing a 365 for use with continuum is not false advertising as it was never advertised as free. Ever, it's just been assumption.

As for the death of WP, I keep wondering why if people are so unhappy with what MS is doing why stick around? I just don't get it. Invested too heavily?

I guess there's hope that enough complaining from the 3% will make MS change their mind? Not likely.

The only reason why there was any reverse on OneDrive is due to it not being WP owners only.
    12-21-2015 11:16 AM
    Gotta be one of the most thought provoking, gentlemanly debated threads I have seen around here for a while.

And I even admit that I have now been convinced that from a marketing point of view, Microsoft might have just let this ride.....since probably 95% of the actual likely Excel-via-Continuum folks are already Office 365 customers. Why tempt the 5% to squeal? (Yea, that's a change in my viewpoint. And I'm pretty hard headed. So again, great debate)

Having said that, I still don't believe that they (Microsoft) will win over any appreciable numbers of IPhone\Droid users with simply free Excel editing via Continuum. In these early stages of Continuum, relatively very few folks will even be using it....or appreciate it,......or KNOW about it.......although I am definitely one that will.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-21-2015 11:18 AM
    The fact they want customers needing a 365 for use with continuum is not false advertising as it was never advertised as free. Ever, it's just been assumption.
    See that IS the problem. They purchaced an expensive phone, with a feature (that showed using Office) and was NEVER told about it... They were not told it was free but, they ALSO were NOT told it costed anything.

It's not about the cost or what Office 365 offers, it's about buying a product that has a feature with something and your never told you need to subscribe to something for an extra cost just to use it.
    12-21-2015 11:33 AM
    They should have a new subscription called "continuum only" and it would be half the price. That would actually be a nice package to have.
    12-21-2015 12:01 PM
    All good ideas. But still, if it was a "deal breaker", it's probably because someone doesn't find any value or need in it anyways.
    And for those who say they would only rarely use it, therefore don't think the subscription is worth it, well then on those rare occasions, just do your editing the old fashioned way or via the Office Online method. Or how about ON the phone itself? :)

Microsoft Licensing is not an easy thing to acquire expertise at. In the enterprise, even after many years, I get confused by it while being held accountable for everything in the data center, at the desktop, and now the BYOD world. I know the average private consumer desires it to be simpler, but the irony is that because so much today IS FREE, it only complicates it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2015 12:15 PM
    They should have a new subscription called "continuum only" and it would be half the price. That would actually be a nice package to have.
    I dare say if it was even 99cents, 99% of the objection would still apply. It's cultural now.

And honestly, if you paid 1/2 the price for Office 365 and ONLY got to use it for editing while doing Continuum, I'd wonder if that was a wise purchase. For $30(?) more dollars you get the whole enchilada and immediately become immune to all of the confusing (and obviously infuriating) nickel-diming antics that apply to the bottom thought-it-was-free tier. It takes all of that off the table.
    12-21-2015 12:37 PM
    I dare say if it was even 99cents, 99% of the objection would still apply. It's cultural now.

And honestly, if you paid 1/2 the price for Office 365 and ONLY got to use it for editing while doing Continuum, I'd wonder if that was a wise purchase. For $30(?) more dollars you get the whole enchilada and immediately become immune to all of the confusing (and obviously infuriating) nickel-diming antics that apply to the bottom thought-it-was-free tier. It takes all of that off the table.
    Honestly office personal is 7$/month(no annual contract or anything). For me that's not that much but if I could pay 3.50/month and just use my phone, I would. I spend more time on my phone than on my PC. PC i'll use for when i'm gaming or just charging phone. Continuum is still not where I'd like it to be but it could replace my PC for none gaming easily. Then I could just dedicate my PC strictly for optimizing gaming.
    12-21-2015 01:11 PM
    ok I'm confused now all of a sudden last night I can't edit my excel spreadsheets on my 950. it's smaller than 8 inches why cant i edit without a subscription??
    12-21-2015 02:58 PM
    ok I'm confused now all of a sudden last night I can't edit my excel spreadsheets on my 950. it's smaller than 8 inches why cant i edit without a subscription??
    Read the thread. The title is misleading. It's only for continuum starting April. On phone itself it's fully featured.
    12-21-2015 04:07 PM
    Sadly Windows Central is 45% outrage, 45% doom and gloom these days.

They announced this last March. Get over yourselves. Continuum is most likely going to be used on screens > 10'' so yes the licensing follows exactly what they announced months ago.
    Migi2015, Kevin Rush and N_LaRUE like this.
    12-21-2015 04:14 PM
    How it "bait and switch" when MS said back in 2013 that Office was free on screens 7" and below and PAID on 8" and above? You simply want Continuum Office for free. I bet you pirate software too.
    Kevin Rush and N_LaRUE like this.
    12-21-2015 05:19 PM
    More like 90% outrage, 90% doom and 10% thoughtful discussions.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-21-2015 05:20 PM
82 1234