12-22-2015 02:13 AM
82 ... 234
tools
    Which is why Apple prefers to just sell hardware. People understand that you have to PAY for every piece of hardware. With software the last 15 years there's so much "free" stuff that consumers are confused as to what is worth paying for.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-21-2015 05:21 PM
    Both sides are right. Yes it's a bait and switch. Users were never informed that a feature that they've been using for free since launch will soon require a subscription. But it's also true that it's MIcrosoft's policy to charge for devices over 8 inches.

IMO, I don't think MS originally planned to charge. Either the accountants realized they were leaving too much money on the table, or there's something happening around April to coincide with the change.
    Laura Knotek and DavidinCT like this.
    12-21-2015 07:37 PM
    Both sides are right. Yes it's a bait and switch. Users were never informed that a feature that they've been using for free since launch will soon require a subscription. But it's also true that it's MIcrosoft's policy to charge for devices over 8 inches.

IMO, I don't think MS originally planned to charge. Either the accountants realized they were leaving too much money on the table, or there's something happening around April to coincide with the change.
    I think you won the thread, as you covered everything in short hand here :)

Now I think the thread should be closed.... We are all right and we agree to disagree on this, Bait and Switch, or Stuff it up and pay... anyway about it, 950 and 950XL buyer should of been told about it in advance.
    HeyCori and N_LaRUE like this.
    12-21-2015 09:10 PM
    Just a small clarification, if the screen size is 10.1 inches or smaller then it has free basic editing. So for example the iPad is free and iPad pro is not for basic editing. The free version always has some functionality locked out.
    12-21-2015 09:23 PM
    .... Users were never informed that a feature that they've been using for free since launch will soon require a subscription. ....
    I think you are confusing two totally separate issues. Editing Word and Excel on your phone alone
    vs
    editing Word and Excel using your NEW functionality on your new phone, (950 950XL) with the new continuum feature on larger screens.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 12-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    12-21-2015 09:54 PM
    So I did some searching and I think I found the information that might help this whole thing and maybe (?) clarify things.

So here is this link first: https://blogs.office.com/2014/03/27/...w-on-the-ipad/

This is to get rid of this rumour that iPad or Android are free. They're not. You need a subscription to use the full set of features. Otherwise you can just view things. When they talk about screen size and free Office on devices they're referring to Windows devices only. Nothing else.

Next is this link: https://blogs.office.com/2015/03/24/...fice-business/

This should clarify this whole issue, I hope. 'Mobile' Office is free for mobility but when you are sitting at a desk you are no longer 'mobile' so therefore you're not using 'mobile' Office. It's a bizarre distinction but it makes sense. MS is only allowing free mobile Office. Not desktop. So technically when you are using Continuum you are no longer mobile.

I'm not apologising for MS nor making excuses for the shoddy way they go about things. MS sucks at explaining things and over complicating things seems to be they way they do things. We can all agree on that. However, it does make some sort of sense when you actually think about it.

Anyway, that's my exit on this. Take what you will from that.
    12-22-2015 02:05 AM
    So I did some searching and I think I found the information that might help this whole thing and maybe (?) clarify things.

So here is this link first: https://blogs.office.com/2014/03/27/...w-on-the-ipad/

This is to get rid of this rumour that iPad or Android are free. They're not. You need a subscription to use the full set of features. Otherwise you can just view things. When they talk about screen size and free Office on devices they're referring to Windows devices only. Nothing else.

Next is this link: https://blogs.office.com/2015/03/24/...fice-business/

This should clarify this whole issue, I hope. 'Mobile' Office is free for mobility but when you are sitting at a desk you are no longer 'mobile' so therefore you're not using 'mobile' Office. It's a bizarre distinction but it makes sense. MS is only allowing free mobile Office. Not desktop. So technically when you are using Continuum you are no longer mobile.

I'm not apologising for MS nor making excuses for the shoddy way they go about things. MS sucks at explaining things and over complicating things seems to be they way they do things. We can all agree on that. However, it does make some sort of sense when you actually think about it.

Anyway, that's my exit on this. Take what you will from that.
    With that, this thread has reached its conclusion.
    N_LaRUE, HeyCori and Kevin Rush like this.
    12-22-2015 02:13 AM
82 ... 234