Microsoft to charge for office subscription on phone in 2016! Bait and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
People on the internet (this forum) get upset for the silliest things. To me this is one of them. You have free Office on your mobile. You don't have it on Continuum. Oh boo hoo.

Cry away... and it clear showed you tried to flame me, where in the term
was not a FLAME ? Clearly it was. You really need to CHECK YOURSELF.

See that is YOUR option to feel that way. When you buy a computer, for example, you buy the rights to use the software. That is how MOST people see it, and it's for the most part it's black and white....Your computer comes with XX software, when you buy it you have the RIGHTS to use it as you wish as long as you dont sell it, modify or copy it. And to NOTE, if you buy a computer with Office TRIAL on it, ON THE BOX it clearly says "Office XXXX trial"

This is assumed on a mobile phone with PRE-INSTALLED apps, the phone comes with Microsoft Office MOBILE (NOT FULL OFFICE). It was assumed when the 950 and 950XL that this WAS the case. When you got one of these models, the box did not say anything, the sales person didn't say anything, nor on the advertisements or store displays did it say ANYTHING about requiring Office 365 (a yearly/monthly fee to use) when you use a FEATURE on the phone.

I also have access to Office 365, so it's a non problem for me but, still I think Microsoft clearly pulled a bait and switch. On my work accounts I have Office 365, my personal accounts, I paid for office 2016.

With Windows Phone doing so poor in the marketplace, this is just another nail in the coffin...something Microsoft should not be doing to theirselves.

And with a LATE public notification about it, it CLEARLY looks like a bait and switch. People should of been told about it when they picked up/ordered the phone. Not after they have owned it for weeks. It's not 100% about paying for office 365, it's about how the way they did it...

I really hope someone files a class action lawsuit on this... Again not becase it costs money but, they were never told about it when they ordered it.

Last edited:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
When you got one of these models, the box did not say anything, the sales person didn't say anything, nor on the advertisements or store displays did it say ANYTHING about requiring Office 365 (a yearly/monthly fee to use) when you use a FEATURE on the phone.
^^This^^ Be honest here--who knew before the last few days that an Office 365 subscription was required to use Office with Continuum? There's a pattern here that is disturbing. The same thing just happened to OneDrive. How long before the next shoe drops--subscription required to keep W10 functional?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
^^This^^ Be honest here--who knew before the last few days that an Office 365 subscription was required to use Office with Continuum? There's a pattern here that is disturbing. The same thing just happened to OneDrive. How long before the next shoe drops--subscription required to keep W10 functional?

Wecome to the *new* Microsoft, they are trying to change to this model. Windows was claimed that they were going to go this route but, after something was dropped, a public outrage came out.

Not sure about Windows 10 but, they will release in the next 5 years a new OS, and that will be on that yearly rental list. If Microsoft changes to a sub/rental for the OS, I will be going to back to 7 or even XP....

Some people dont mind a sub/rental plan, in some ways, it's cost effective for some businesses or users. It's all good but, others dont see the value, and if they stop paying one day, the software stops working.

I guess if Microsoft tries to do that at the OS level, the public will give the say if they accept it or not.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Cry away... and it clear showed you tried to flame me, where in the term was not a FLAME ? Clearly it was. You really need to CHECK YOURSELF.

See that is YOUR option to feel that way. When you buy a computer, for example, you buy the rights to use the software. That is how MOST people see it, and it's for the most part it's black and white....Your computer comes with XX software, when you buy it you have the RIGHTS to use it as you wish as long as you dont sell it, modify or copy it.

This is assumed on a mobile phone with PRE-INSTALLED apps, the phone comes with Microsoft Office MOBILE (NOT FULL OFFICE). It was assumed when the 950 and 950XL that this WAS the case. When you got one of these models, the box did not say anything, the sales person didn't say anything, nor on the advertisements or store displays did it say ANYTHING about requiring Office 365 (a yearly/monthly fee to use) when you use a FEATURE on the phone.

I also have access to Office 365, so it's a non problem for me but, still I think Microsoft clearly pulled a bait and switch. On my work accounts I have Office 365, my personal accounts, I paid for office 2016.

With Windows Phone doing so poor in the marketplace, this is just another nail in the coffin...something Microsoft should not be doing to theirselves.

And with a LATE public notification about it, it CLEARLY looks like a bait and switch. People should of been told about it when they picked up/ordered the phone. Not after they have owned it for weeks. It's not 100% about paying for office 365, it's about how the way they did it...

I really hope someone files a class action lawsuit on this... Again not becase it costs money but, they were never told about it when they ordered it.
What's with CAPS...

No one is going to take MS to court over this. They'd lose and waste their money.

The apps are free on mobile, on a mobile screen, this has been said that it's free for device screens under 10 inches.

The fact they want customers needing a 365 for use with continuum is not false advertising as it was never advertised as free. Ever, it's just been assumption.

As for the death of WP, I keep wondering why if people are so unhappy with what MS is doing why stick around? I just don't get it. Invested too heavily?

I guess there's hope that enough complaining from the 3% will make MS change their mind? Not likely.

The only reason why there was any reverse on OneDrive is due to it not being WP owners only.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Gotta be one of the most thought provoking, gentlemanly debated threads I have seen around here for a while.

And I even admit that I have now been convinced that from a marketing point of view, Microsoft might have just let this ride.....since probably 95% of the actual likely Excel-via-Continuum folks are already Office 365 customers. Why tempt the 5% to squeal? (Yea, that's a change in my viewpoint. And I'm pretty hard headed. So again, great debate)

Having said that, I still don't believe that they (Microsoft) will win over any appreciable numbers of IPhone\Droid users with simply free Excel editing via Continuum. In these early stages of Continuum, relatively very few folks will even be using it....or appreciate it,......or KNOW about it.......although I am definitely one that will.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The fact they want customers needing a 365 for use with continuum is not false advertising as it was never advertised as free. Ever, it's just been assumption.

See that IS the problem. They purchaced an expensive phone, with a feature (that showed using Office) and was NEVER told about it... They were not told it was free but, they ALSO were NOT told it costed anything.

It's not about the cost or what Office 365 offers, it's about buying a product that has a feature with something and your never told you need to subscribe to something for an extra cost just to use it.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
All good ideas. But still, if it was a "deal breaker", it's probably because someone doesn't find any value or need in it anyways.
And for those who say they would only rarely use it, therefore don't think the subscription is worth it, well then on those rare occasions, just do your editing the old fashioned way or via the Office Online method. Or how about ON the phone itself? :)

Microsoft Licensing is not an easy thing to acquire expertise at. In the enterprise, even after many years, I get confused by it while being held accountable for everything in the data center, at the desktop, and now the BYOD world. I know the average private consumer desires it to be simpler, but the irony is that because so much today IS FREE, it only complicates it.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They should have a new subscription called "continuum only" and it would be half the price. That would actually be a nice package to have.

I dare say if it was even 99cents, 99% of the objection would still apply. It's cultural now.

And honestly, if you paid 1/2 the price for Office 365 and ONLY got to use it for editing while doing Continuum, I'd wonder if that was a wise purchase. For $30(?) more dollars you get the whole enchilada and immediately become immune to all of the confusing (and obviously infuriating) nickel-diming antics that apply to the bottom thought-it-was-free tier. It takes all of that off the table.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I dare say if it was even 99cents, 99% of the objection would still apply. It's cultural now.

And honestly, if you paid 1/2 the price for Office 365 and ONLY got to use it for editing while doing Continuum, I'd wonder if that was a wise purchase. For $30(?) more dollars you get the whole enchilada and immediately become immune to all of the confusing (and obviously infuriating) nickel-diming antics that apply to the bottom thought-it-was-free tier. It takes all of that off the table.

Honestly office personal is 7$/month(no annual contract or anything). For me that's not that much but if I could pay 3.50/month and just use my phone, I would. I spend more time on my phone than on my PC. PC i'll use for when i'm gaming or just charging phone. Continuum is still not where I'd like it to be but it could replace my PC for none gaming easily. Then I could just dedicate my PC strictly for optimizing gaming.

tigermcm

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
ok I'm confused now all of a sudden last night I can't edit my excel spreadsheets on my 950. it's smaller than 8 inches why cant i edit without a subscription??

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
ok I'm confused now all of a sudden last night I can't edit my excel spreadsheets on my 950. it's smaller than 8 inches why cant i edit without a subscription??
Read the thread. The title is misleading. It's only for continuum starting April. On phone itself it's fully featured.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Sadly Windows Central is 45% outrage, 45% doom and gloom these days.

They announced this last March. Get over yourselves. Continuum is most likely going to be used on screens > 10'' so yes the licensing follows exactly what they announced months ago.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
How it "bait and switch" when MS said back in 2013 that Office was free on screens 7" and below and PAID on 8" and above? You simply want Continuum Office for free. I bet you pirate software too.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Which is why Apple prefers to just sell hardware. People understand that you have to PAY for every piece of hardware. With software the last 15 years there's so much "free" stuff that consumers are confused as to what is worth paying for.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Both sides are right. Yes it's a bait and switch. Users were never informed that a feature that they've been using for free since launch will soon require a subscription. But it's also true that it's MIcrosoft's policy to charge for devices over 8 inches.

IMO, I don't think MS originally planned to charge. Either the accountants realized they were leaving too much money on the table, or there's something happening around April to coincide with the change.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Both sides are right. Yes it's a bait and switch. Users were never informed that a feature that they've been using for free since launch will soon require a subscription. But it's also true that it's MIcrosoft's policy to charge for devices over 8 inches.

IMO, I don't think MS originally planned to charge. Either the accountants realized they were leaving too much money on the table, or there's something happening around April to coincide with the change.

I think you won the thread, as you covered everything in short hand here :)

Now I think the thread should be closed.... We are all right and we agree to disagree on this, Bait and Switch, or Stuff it up and pay... anyway about it, 950 and 950XL buyer should of been told about it in advance.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just a small clarification, if the screen size is 10.1 inches or smaller then it has free basic editing. So for example the iPad is free and iPad pro is not for basic editing. The free version always has some functionality locked out.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
.... Users were never informed that a feature that they've been using for free since launch will soon require a subscription. ....

I think you are confusing two totally separate issues. Editing Word and Excel on your phone alone
vs
editing Word and Excel using your NEW functionality on your new phone, (950 950XL) with the new continuum feature on larger screens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos