Describe your smartphone environment

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What is it like owning a smartphone where you live? Do you constantly find yourself debating all your friends about different phones, do you live in a bubble, are you the nerd that won't shut up about your phone? :grin:

I'm usually in my own bubble. No one cares that much what OS l use. . . until l run into the Apple/Android fanboys in the IT department. They detest Windows and take every opportunity to dig into it. They're usually the worst to debate against because they actually know what they're talking about (even if they are bias) so their complaints go beyond hamburger menus. That doesn't stop me from using my phone around them, though.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I live in a bubble, but I'm a nerd if you draw me out. I'll always defend my choice to use a Windows phone even though I've used other operating systems. I'd take an Android but I'd always miss Windows. If you get me talking about it I'll talk but other than that people don't really care. I wish I had some IT guys to debate with because 99.9% of the people I know walk around in a haze.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I live in my bubble too.My friends criticized me for buying L520 and tried convincing me to get an Android instead.Thankfully i didn't listen to them.
Although its been more than a year since i sold it and bought Moto E,i am considering returning to WP with either the L430,435,532 or 550.
Most of the people i see all have Samsung phones.Its impossible to say which model they have considering all Samsung phones look the same.Hardly anyone else has anything except Samsung in my city.Its like 95% people have Samsung only.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I live in my bubble too.My friends criticized me for buying L520 and tried convincing me to get an Android instead.Thankfully i didn't listen to them.
Although its been more than a year since i sold it and bought Moto E,i am considering returning to WP with either the L430,435,532 or 550.
Most of the people i see all have Samsung phones.Its impossible to say which model they have considering all Samsung phones look the same.Hardly anyone else has anything except Samsung in my city.Its like 95% people have Samsung only.

If you are able, go with 640, it's better than ones you sad in every aspect.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If you are able, go with 640, it's better than ones you sad in every aspect.
I don't like big phones. That's the main problem. I am only comfortable with 4 inch screen so even the Lumia 550 is too big. So mostly considering 430,435 and 532. Will consider 550 only if the price drops to under 7k.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Everyone around me has an iPhone it seems. Second is Samsung. Occasionally, I will see a Windows phone--the last one I saw was used by a crack head...sigh

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, there are iPhone users all around me too. I can easily tell who they are, they are the ones always desperately looking for an outlet so they can plug in a charger.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always been the one person amongst my family, friends, and acquaintances to use a device that nobody else had.

When I used Nokia Symbian, nobody else even knew what that was.

When I used a BlackBerry 9000/9700, I only knew one person (a cousin) who had a BlackBerry Storm that he hated.

When I used the Lumia 900/920, I knew nobody who had one. I did know one guy who had a Lumia 928.

Now I'm using a Moto X Pure Edition, which is unusual because nobody I know has an unlocked/unbranded Moto device. I have two cousins who have the 2014 Moto X, but theirs are branded to AT&T.

The majority of people I know either have some type of Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone user and proud.. Except for the times when I see the loads of cool apps on an android iOS phone and then I look at my hands and feel sad xD but no OS can look as cool as WindowsPhone

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there are iPhone users all around me too. I can easily tell who they are, they are the ones always desperately looking for an outlet so they can plug in a charger.

Samsung had a commercial in which they called iPhone users "wall huggers". But, there is definitely validity to the term.

Abhinaba Hazra

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Here(Rural area) Micromax is more popular than any other brands. Samsung 2nd, Lenovo/Moto 3rd, Xiomi 4th & Microsoft/Nokia Lumia 5th. Now a days I see Lumia more than Xiomi.

SinistraShine

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

L520 and actually most of the cheap Lumias are/were great for the money they cost.. I tried to find similar Android in the same price range but never found one

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
More Android than anything, next would be Iphone, but i do see a fair amount of Windows phones especially since the 640 came out. Odd but most of the Iphones i see have cracked screens. LOL

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Mixture of devices in use - samsung (20%), LG (15%), tecno (12%), infinix (4%), lumia (13%), nokia (10%), huawei (5%), alcatel (5%), others like bird and ytel (15%) and the odd iphone (1%)

This is solely based on my own observations in a multitude of situations from work place to college to symposiums to conferences to transport environments

I can easily see the lumias around especially by their distinctive message tone and vibrant colours

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
At my last job, everyone sort of nerded out about phones and gadgets. So, everyone was always looking to see what phone everyone else was carrying, so I got used to some people asking me about Windows Phone, a few office friends would tease.

I've worked at this place for about three years, and no one really cares smartphones that much. In my office, I'm still the only one that has a Windows Phone, but it seems like some of the people don't even really know what that means.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I work at a SAAS company and I would guess that it is about 80% iPhones, 19% Android and then me and a couple of others with WP, which just about mirrors the email stats I see for people in the business. Nobody I talk with much talks about phones except for my son who works for a major tech company, and he is totally agnostic about them. He's owned Android, uses a Lumia 1020 now, is considering getting an iPhone or maybe one of the new Nexus phones. The only place I encounter phone nerds and fanbois is here on the Internet. Nobody else cares beyond their phone working, having the apps they want, and keeping their battery charged.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Get a lumia 640! If your carrier supports it

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No one really cares at my place of work. I had a few comments about the size of the 1520 to start with, but they died out pretty quickly. No one's commented on my 950XL, but then I've not been shoving it into people's faces. There's a few Windows Phones around, but most people have iPhones or Android. The company I work for supports the use of all three platforms for it's employees.

My girlfriend's Vertu is the one that normally draws comments.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720