Surface phone with Intel Core M Cpu coming in september

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Actually I think Atom could be better than Snapdragon or Exynos given Intel is pursuing more of an Apple-like design to really get peak single-core performance which is what matters on smartphone. The Atom chip that goes into Surface Phone might just leapfrog the Snapdragon 820 and be right behind the Apple A10 later this year.
Given continuum, you need more cores if you want to do multitasking properly without cpu scheduler going buts trying to manage one for. The os would be responsible for scheduling each task for the core. The developer doesn't need to do anything in this case. So I don't see a single core solution very good for using both phone and continuum. 2 single core chips sure. But they will need to do something impressive in this area. Honestly been running continuum as my main pc and I'm starting to get annoyed with how slow edge gets with some sites, especially this one. Either a bad scheduler, bad optimization in general or the 810 just can't handle it.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Given continuum, you need more cores if you want to do multitasking properly without cpu scheduler going buts trying to manage one for. The os would be responsible for scheduling each task for the core. The developer doesn't need to do anything in this case. So I don't see a single core solution very good for using both phone and continuum. 2 single core chips sure. But they will need to do something impressive in this area. Honestly been running continuum as my main pc and I'm starting to get annoyed with how slow edge gets with some sites, especially this one. Either a bad scheduler, bad optimization in general or the 810 just can't handle it.

Qualcomm will never be the savior of Windows Mobile. Intel is the ticket.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ugh....if I ever see that guy who decided to word that artical in that fashion I'm going to have to punch him....
Windows phones is far down the % in its market share. But it is a good bit more then 1%. They had sold just over 1% of the smart phones sold last quarter. And seeing as they had no new phones out at the time(or for a good while this year even)....sorta makes sense. Please...dont use the 1% thing ever again. Thanks.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I pulled 1% out of my *** to insinuate their extremely small marketshare. So... Yeah. 1%.

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
And the Microsoft webpage on Minimum Hardware Requirement specs approved for Windows 10 devices... (as linked from above PCworld article)...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn915086(v=vs.85).aspx

Note: Section 1.1.3
-----------------------------
Device types supported by Windows

Device type - Phone Supported Windows operating systems
Definition - A handheld device that combines cellular connectivity, a touch screen, rechargeable power source, and other components into a single chassis.
Supported processor types - ARM (32-bit) and x86 SoCs Windows 10 Mobile
-----------------------------

infinitylook

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Again you're comparing to what intel has for their consumer/business roadmap but nothing about what they are working on with MS. And again if they get it down to 10nm it will consume way less power, be more efficient with heat dissipation and allow for more gpu execution units. And of course their power management capabilities are enhancing as well. Together with windows 10 they could pull it off. The goal is to use what is needed at the time. I think one of the issues with 950xl is that it doesn't manage the cpu properly and the battery must get eaten up. Of course the firmware update shows that it can help in these areas. My 950xl never really gets warm, but when I was below 25% and in battery saver mode all of a sudden it was getting warm. That seemed odd to me as I would expect the opposite.

So a phone that is coming in what is speculated to be september of 2016 could indeed have some new chip that is announced along with it. Both MS and Intel have been pumping R&D into this area.

And it's not that they will shoot themselves in the foot. I think they will continue offering cheaper arm based phones. There's speculation of one with an SD820 coming out. This will be a new line that will do for phones what surface did for laptops. Surface pro wasn't exactly cheap when it came out. Neither is the surface book. If they pull it off they could be selling another 2-in-1 but this time it's a phone.

And the GPU is going to be a big factor as well as you want to be able to run cross device anything you buy in the windows store. Pumping out arm code for an app via visual studio is simple. you check that you want it to be compiled for arm devices, but when you're creating optimized code for GPU's, it becomes more of a hassle. So if you could remove that hassle you are going to see quite a spectacular ecosystem.

Not only that, MS could also be working on some new battery tech. This is an area that should get plenty of R&D.

In the lab researchers were able to convert heat dissipated from a cpu back into energy. Imagine being able to charge your battery or direct that energy somewhere. That would enhance the longitivity quite a bit.

I can assure you that MS will not release anything ATOM based on their next phone. This is a phone that needs to create a wow factor and the atom chip just will not do that. They could have already used the best Atom chip out there but didn't. And it's not because of app compatibility as it's a layer that software could easily take care of.

I predicted the whole concept of phones turning to PC's years ago before the 2-in-1 hybrids even came out. It was easy to see because everyone always has their phone with them. It's attached to them, the one device they bring everywhere. So you need to make that one device be as versatile as you can. And well continuum seems like the first step. My friend laughed me off back then saying it wouldn't happen. Well it's happening.

Even google is seeing the benefit of such an ecosystem that is deviceless or lets you do everything in one area. They are even creating a new OS. Hope MS can maintain a commanding lead and get stuff done quick enough. Google is pretty quick when it comes to releasing things.

Tech is doing some crazy stuff now. Heck look at Project Tango from Google. It uses Radar to map out your environment in full 3d. This allows gestures and everything you can think of. Interesting but somewhat scary. If every android phone had one you could map out a big portion of the world even the inside of your home. My guess is that they will also use this data for their mapping services etc.. All part of their plan to command the future of mapping. Right now bing has become much better as a mapping service, especially things like bird eye view, traffic cameras, although streetview suffers. But Google is looking more into the future.

Anyways, I guarantee you it won't be an Atom chip.
Roadmaps are for investors and consumers for plans on existing solutions. Anything secret is usually shelved and revealed for a wow factor. So whatever MS has baking, it should command a wow factor like the surfacebook did.

That's why I love directX 12. It shows its power with the surfacebook. It will use gpu cycles from any chips available without any need for sli configurations. And it will do it without developer intervention.

Haha! That's so funny. Well, it's really possible that their R&D dept. are doing something but that's not how business goes. And besided that's a very big investment. If the phone would be price high( granting it would be). They would only sell a little of that and that would not be enough to compensate for R&D costs just like what others said on this forum. The most feasible would be an atom chip (even that I doubt). Besides, there's no market yet for 2&1 phone hybrids (What! you will work full Windows version on that small screen). I think it is too early for that concept that you said. Again it's possible but not now nor they will do it all at once. Heck, their mobile sales are falling down so it's not profitable for them.

infinitylook

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Regardless of how crazy tech is now, the fact of the matter is that even the lowest end core M chip still uses 100% more power than the highest end Atom chip, let alone any of the ARM chips. Barring some new fancy battery tech that doesn't exist yet or Intel jumping ahead and somehow doing the die shrink a year ahead of schedule, a core M chip isn't feasible.

More power means more heat, which means more thermal throttling as well. Battery drain also isn't linear. Throwing a core M chip into the 950 XL which has a 3300 mAH battery, would probably halve the effective use time. A sub 10'' device has many more design constraints than a 13'' device.

Haha, I really agree with you. Throwing an M-core chip on that device would be a disaster. Unless they invented a miraculous battery or a God-like cooling process.

RohanRonQM

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Many OEMs and ODMs already see viability in staying with Qualcomm, Samsung, or Mediatek for mobile chipsets and Intel will probably be left out of the picture here.

What is important to recognize is what the HP Elite x3 is doing with virtualizations and Remote desktop functionality in order to use win32 apps/programs.

Originally posted by poopyfinger
The same source claims the Surface Phone will be powered by an Intel Core M chipset. The 6th Generation Intel CPU is built on 14nm manufacturing process technology, just like Samsung's Exynos 8890 chip.

The Intel Core M processor could be more powerful than Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon 820 CPU that should be the heart of many flagship smartphones next year.

It's unclear how many cores the Intel Core M chipset will pack inside the Surface Phone, as Microsoft could choose a two-core or a quad-core configuration.

Microsoft Surface Phone Coming in September with Intel Core M CPU - Report

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Haha! That's so funny. Well, it's really possible that their R&D dept. are doing something but that's not how business goes. And besided that's a very big investment. If the phone would be price high( granting it would be). They would only sell a little of that and that would not be enough to compensate for R&D costs just like what others said on this forum. The most feasible would be an atom chip (even that I doubt). Besides, there's no market yet for 2&1 phone hybrids (What! you will work full Windows version on that small screen). I think it is too early for that concept that you said. Again it's possible but not now nor they will do it all at once. Heck, their mobile sales are falling down so it's not profitable for them.

You do realize that the ARM chips are now more powerful than even the atom X7? Why do you think Intel is even phasing it out? The only difference is the architecture. But running w32 apps on a phone would be a huge disgrace. They are not designed for mobile. And even with continuum the atom would just not do a good job. Plus MS is trying to move away from w32 to UWP, why would they invest in hardware that is using an API they are trying to phase out? The only area where this makes sense for them is business. But for business they have the cloud to run legacy apps. This is exactly what HP is doing and MS will definitely be doing the same thing for businesses. This gives Software time to migrate to the new api as it becomes better and more feature rich.

Many OEMs and ODMs already see viability in staying with Qualcomm, Samsung, or Mediatek for mobile chipsets and Intel will probably be left out of the picture here.

What is important to recognize is what the HP Elite x3 is doing with virtualizations and Remote desktop functionality in order to use win32 apps/programs.

That's an old article and it was based on really bad speculation. The core M would just be a battery eating machine. Unless there's a new architecture Intel is working on that will use up less wattage it is unlikely to happen. Maybe as a secondary chip for continuum. But again it's all speculation. From the plans that we have seen it will likely be the snapdragon 830. MS has been working with Qualcomm to add features into the chip so it may turn out better than expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is but it hasn't stopped tablet manufacturers from using it. However after studying electronics I can say it is possible to place it on a phone but the issue is the size of this is larger then say the Atom X3/X7 series SoC so adding features to the phone like say an HDMI port for example will be a hard fit inside something so small.

cactuspete23

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Expect in a few years to have phones with 2X battery power density; and core M type processors that draw less power than today's Snap 820's. Already phones are way more powerful computers than the first Apple, and PC's.... Just amazing how technology keeps advancing !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea