Surface phone with Intel Core M Cpu coming in september

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The same source claims the Surface Phone will be powered by an Intel Core M chipset. The 6th Generation Intel CPU is built on 14nm manufacturing process technology, just like Samsung's Exynos 8890 chip.

The Intel Core M processor could be more powerful than Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon 820 CPU that should be the heart of many flagship smartphones next year.

It's unclear how many cores the Intel Core M chipset will pack inside the Surface Phone, as Microsoft could choose a two-core or a quad-core configuration.

Microsoft Surface Phone Coming in September with Intel Core M CPU - Report

Iosif Mila

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be a hybrid ARM-x86 custom-made CPU/GPU, made by Intel.

Something similar to the custom-GPU inside Surface Book, made by nVIDIA.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's possible. This will make gaming awesome it it comes with hd 520 or the pro iris gpu. Ooh man. I'd sell my 950xl for it. Though if it's custom chip I would wait to see if any first generation problems exist.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If this is a real phone and I hope it is. I hope Microsoft hires additional professional "Quality Control & Testing" to be involved before releasing to the public. There is too much bad press when the iPress and google media people find a flaw.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a lot of speculation still. Previous rumors still mentioned that the new phone would be running an intel cpu, which would correspond with the release of the goldmont microarchitecture in early 2016.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If this is a real phone and I hope it is. I hope Microsoft hires additional professional "Quality Control & Testing" to be involved before releasing to the public. There is too much bad press when the iPress and google media people find a flaw.

Insider Program.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Insider Program.

I referred to actual professionals and the implication was that as such, Microsoft would/should actively integrate listening to the professionals into the process and making changes. Seriously, step up their quality and technology process to innovate with tested quality assurance.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Surface Phone Intel only.

Microsoft is releasing three Atom "Goldmont" devises in Q2 2016.

- Surface 4 10"
- Surface Mini 8"
- Surface Phone 6"

All with 4GB of RAM & 1440p resolution and full support for the new Surface Pen as well!

I'm enjoying my new Lumia 950 XL now.

Last edited:

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Maybe, but just saying, the Insider Program may look more into hardware soon if Gabe has his way, heh.

Almost seems like an emulation of IOS and mac computer intergradations. If MSFT can get insider phone/pc accounts as one and regular accounts together then they can get control of the bug issues. I feel the 950/XL's were beta devices for the surface phone.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully the surface phone will have the same / similar options of screen sizes as the 950 & XL. Not everyone wants a 6" device but they would still like the top spec features.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

I think it is very much doubtful that they use m series for phone. If they will make phone with x86 cpu (personally i would prefer arm based) i'm %80 certain it will be an atom series most likely x3 or x5 with x7 series left for tablets. With m series you will get pretty bad battery life on phone also I am not sure but i dont think m series has any wireless radios or gps included so thats another chip that has to be added. M series was never designed for phones.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I expect Lumia 960 XL this August.
- Win10.1 Mobile "Redstone"
- Snapdragon 820
- 6GB of RAM / 64GB flash
- UHS-II "312MB/s" microSDXC support
- 2160p display "4K"
- 6 Generation Camera

Surface Phone will fall between the Lumia 950 XL & Lumia 960 XL

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I expect Lumia 960 XL this August.
- Win10.1 Mobile "Redstone"
- Snapdragon 820
- 6GB of RAM / 64GB flash
- UHS-II "312MB/s" microSDXC support
- 2160p display "4K"
- 6 Generation Camera

Surface Phone will fall between the Lumia 950 XL & Lumia 960 XL

If i remember correctly 820 supports only 4gb ram, 830 will allow higher amounts. Also drop resolution to 1440p make it pixel sense, en-house it all in magnesium body and you have a winner.
Also off topic but i dont understand when people prize lumia camera video recording, it sux big time. When compared to iphone 6s plus or xperia z5 it is awful, very wobbly this needs to be sorted in 6th gen camera

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a lot of speculation still. Previous rumors still mentioned that the new phone would be running an intel cpu, which would correspond with the release of the goldmont microarchitecture in early 2016.

Cannonlake is supposed to come out on 10nm process. That would be a huge improvement. Also MS and Intel are working on something together.

I think it is very much doubtful that they use m series for phone. If they will make phone with x86 cpu (personally i would prefer arm based) i'm %80 certain it will be an atom series most likely x3 or x5 with x7 series left for tablets. With m series you will get pretty bad battery life on phone also I am not sure but i dont think m series has any wireless radios or gps included so thats another chip that has to be added. M series was never designed for phones.

No it won't be atom. Atom is already out and sucks. It's the lowest of the low end. My guess is that it will be something in the range as surfacebook and it will cost a pretty arm and leg. Then they may have lower mid-range models or business models. This is happening in September so they have quite a lot of time. In the meantime they will likely release more ARM units to keep up with the flagship cycle.

And lumia video improves with firmware. A lot of people running older firmware seem to have more issues. The newest one improves things quite a bit but only some people have reported getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Cannonlake is supposed to come out on 10nm process. That would be a huge improvement. Also MS and Intel are working on something together.

Cannonlake is for server/desktop machines, not mobile (and they won't be out till 2017 at the earliest). Broxton/Willow trail will be for phones and tablets. The power requirements for any of the desktop/server chips pretty much excludes them from being used in portable electronics... the Skylake chips are great, but they still require 100% more power that their atom chips

The Cherry trail line of processors is actually pretty good currently (the Surface 3 runs an Atom-x7) and is actually getting close to being comparable with the QC Snapdragon 810 in terms of performance/wattage. The goldmont chips should actually surpass currently available ARM chips in terms of power consumption.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte