The most important part of Microsoft's mobile stategy: The death of Windows 10 Mobile

Mister Burns

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Okay maybe not the death but in MS's eyes, positioning W10m in the same function as ios and android when looking at the broad scheme of its plans and not being the frontrunner of it's mobile vision. This idea started out as a comment on Winbeta but then I really explored the idea of Microsoft killing W10 mobile. Here we go! Walk with me!...

"What if when Nadella said "if no one will build phones, we'll build them" he was talking about what he always talks about, the "mobility of the experience"? In this case, phone experience. What if he's trying to make the iPhone a part of the w10 ecosystem? Remember his "iPhone pro" at apple's event? What if that is the reason project Astoria was put on hold indefinitely? remember, apps from android would have only worked on w10m and not been a universal apps which is different then project islandwood. Couple that with the development of w10 on arm then the need to dump further resources into developing for w10m become that much less worthwhile. W10 itself, along with its universal apps, including those from islandwood, will be fully adaptable with devices completely eliminating the need for project Astoria because w10m won't exist. Besides the performance issues, which probably could have been subdued with more development, this could be the real reason they removed the android emulation layer from w10m.
Microsoft has spent most of its life (personification is real) being the platform for other's to be built, exist, and thrive. What if Nadella is turning the tables and making it so Microsoft is [re]building itself on the platforms of other.
Ios apps...building w10 app store
iPhone [pro]...w10 ecosystem through microsoft's service
ipad pro...companion w10 device though microsoft's services

I never thought MS gave on up Windows 10 Mobile but with further exploration of ideas W10M could just be transcending forms. They could be giving up on Windows 10 Mobile in favor of Windows 10 mobil[e/ility]

What we do know:
1. Apple's mobile solutions are for fitting for MS's vision for mobile then Google's. (Look at the locked down nature of the os's and uwp)
2. The world has not accepted MS's current attempts at mobile.
3. Historically (im talking factual and not addressing what people may believe or don't believe), human nature never changes. In this case, I'm talking about the revolution in smartphones that the iPhone created. If people flocked to a new paradigm in mobile tech before, they will do it again. People are leaving w10m for ios (or android). In other words, lumia's for iphones. Not the other way around. (of course im not talking specific people. There will always be cult fans and exceptions to rules)
4. The cell company that allowed the iPhone to flourish now has a partnership with MS for the 950. They allow MS to control the updates, just like apple. The groundwork has been laid for a new device.
5. Continuum...a pc experience in your pocket. Mobile is chasing true computing just on a mobile experience.

Hypotheticals:
1. Nadella, the person who controls ms's direction and who reportedly wasn't a big fan of WP and uses a iPhone (pro) would think of this. The reason we see better MS apps on ios is because they can be ported back into w10's store through islandwood.
Ms apps on w10m is just a stop gap for the people already there. Its just enough to provide a service. Nothing more. This encourages people to move to other platforms for the time being since MS apps are better there anyway. With you still using MS services, you'll still be in there ecosystem.
The more people who already chose to leave w10m, whether they wanted to or not, will be that much less people who get affect when w10m gets killed.
Microsoft has also promised that's its platform will have the best of it's app's experience but we have yet to see on it's current mobile platform when compared to ios. Why is that? Lumia will be for the people who can't afford to spend an arm and a leg to be in microsoft's ecosystem via iphone, android, or the (wait for it). Maybe the focus is to get the apps onto w10 and not w10m, with w10m just being there for its cult fans until the next big thing comes, which further solidifies the idea that w10m is just a stopgap for MS's true play on the mobile market, the "surface phone". The significance of w10m is the price for continuum on Lumia's will trickle down while ios and android still has the inability to support it.

2. Surface phone. Even if not called the surface phone, a new device pushing a new paradigm for mobile tech.
The idea of surface phone satisfies all of the planes of what we do know.
-Secured
-a device built that fits the vision of mobile that the world has accepted, coincidentally the idea of w10, being the mix of the old paradigm of computing (20+ years of windows), and the new paradigm of mobile computing. Surface at it's core is a brand built to highlight the best of MS's idea of it's operating system, Windows.
-people will flock to revolutionary tech
-groundwork already done for control of its products on at&t's network through the 950 deal.

Microsoft really has just about every play covered.
Making W10 the vehicle for the Mobility of experiences with its devices.
Incorporating all other devices into its ecosystem through putting it's services and products everywhere like Cortana and office.
It's eliminating barriers between devices through input with cross platform keyboards and continuum.
Building the device that will usher in the new paradigm for mobile computing (or so they believe)."

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree.

Windows Phone 7/8 were beautiful in my opinion. Sure we all know they had their drawbacks, but W10 Mobile is nothing like them. I'm currently using an Android phone and would love to go back to Windows, but I don't see why I should from a more conventional view.

Microsoft is bringing what would had been unique features/apps in Windows 10 Mobile to iOS and Android.

Why should I a consumer even bother with a Windows phone when the software on devices out now is crap. Its full of bugs that we would expect from Insider Builds, yet here they are on consumer phones with "Stable" builds.
Why should I waste my money on a phone loaded with faulty software when I can just continue to use my iPhone/Android and wait for more Microsoft apps to show up. Cortana and the keyboard are already on their way to both iOS and Android. I will not be surprised and highly expect for Continuum to be available by 2017 on other platforms.

Windows 10 Mobile is already dead and 6 feet under. Microsoft is just slowly filling up the grave with dirt and once and a while mixing software updates, apps, and new devices into it.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
After using 10 for so long, 8.1 looks so dated and cartoony. 10 isn't perfect but l could never go back.

Yeah, because hard to reach hamburger menus, circle profile pictures and wireframe icons are so fresh and hip...

XvErUmDodPSlZeN4HGuyrdIyy1lF_XFx0ngm0ynHJFqLHsNouDTEJRvSyMHcHQXZBpk=h900

Oh.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's a great article, thank you for sharing! I feel like Android takes extra steps to keep it running as it should, and the iPhone requires everything to be managed in iTunes, from my understanding. Windows Mobile would be a great middle ground (it is but you know what I mean, ideally with apps and such), since you don't need the extra steps, but you do need a MS account to use and download things.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I've said this many times, I love Windows 10 Mobile (accept for the bugs that I see Microsoft fixing after 20 more updates) but, after Microsoft saying they are NOT chasing 3rd place any more, it's hard to say there is a tomorrow for Windows Phone. And after the last press statement where their mobile business dropped by 50%. Microsoft does not need to answer just to consumers, it has to answer their stock holders.

Just like other Microsoft products that have been killed off over the years, the phone will continue to run, as long as it supports modern standards.

With the release of the 950 and 950XL, it gave a lot of us hope (accept for Verizon users) but, it really makes me wonder what tomorrow will bring....I dont see too much tho :(

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Windows Phone 7/8 were beautiful in my opinion. Sure we all know they had their drawbacks, but W10 Mobile is nothing like them.
Windows 10 Mobile is already dead and 6 feet under. Microsoft is just slowly filling up the grave with dirt and once and a while mixing software updates, apps, and new devices into it.
I agree Windows Phone 7/8 were beautiful in my opinion too. A true modern / metro "design". Apparently not something the average person could appreciate.
Respectfully, I wish people wouldn't throw around the word "dead". The word has a specific meaning. Certainly, if someone was in the hospital, no one would use that word, until after it was actually true. I know, it's just hyperbole, everyone does it, and I do exaggerate sometimes to make a specific point, for a purpose. The word "dead" gives the impression that it is non-functional and/or hopeless. I won't contribute to that public mindset.
Rant over. Thanks for reading.
Best wishes.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It's a great article, thank you for sharing! I feel like Android takes extra steps to keep it running as it should, and the iPhone requires everything to be managed in iTunes, from my understanding. Windows Mobile would be a great middle ground (it is but you know what I mean, ideally with apps and such), since you don't need the extra steps, but you do need a MS account to use and download things.

Just FYI. The iPhone doesn't require that you manage everything in iTunes, and hasn't since iOS 5 and iCloud were introduced.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I am waiting patiently and keenly to see where Microsoft take this. I am one of those few that have moved from the iPhone to W10m. I bought a Lumia 950 in November last year after my iPhone 5s contract ended. I have used the iPhone since the 4 came out and still have a iPhone 6 from my job. I have been an Apple fan since May 2009 when I bought my first Macbook after actually throwing my last Windows power laptop out of the window. It ran Vista, enough said I think.

But, last year my fandom of Apple started to change and when I came to review my phone contact I actually sat down and wrote out a list of what I needed from my mobile and how it integrated with my laptop etc. At the time I owned a iPhone 5s, Macbook Pro and iPad 4th Gen, plus my company has me with a Macbook Air and iPhone 6.

I went down to my local shop and decided to take a look at the new iPhone 6s, the Android devices and the Lumia 950 as it had caught my eye too. My conclusion after a few weeks of investigation was that W10m would be best for me as a mobile handset and a move back to Windows via Window 10 would be my choice. I really liked what I read and heard and the Lumia 950 tick 99% of the boxes for me, so much so I put some trust that the platform of Windows 10 would slowly mature. My iPad has been frustrating me as it's getting to a stage where it needs replacing, it is very slow and laggy. During my investigations into a new mobile, I checked out the Surface 3 (not Pro), and I really really liked what I saw. The price was a touch high in my opinion especially as I would have to buy the keyboard separately so I said I would wait and see if there were any deals coming up soon.

Now, over the last week I am reading about the 'death of windows phone' I am becoming a little concerned about where Microsoft will take Windows 10 and the mobile versions. I actually really like my Lumia 950 and Windows 10, yes they aren't perfect but there are things I hated about iOS and Android also so I know no phone or OS will be 100%. I have put my Surface 3 purchase on hold, and a subscription to Office 365 too. I am waiting to see what Microsoft's plans are as I need a mobile phone device and portable laptop type device that integrate. I don't need the power of a Surface Pro or a Surface Book but need a screen bigger than a mobile phone.

I have left gmail and iCloud email and joined outlook (well forwarded them to outlook whilst i migrate). I have cancelled all cloud based subscriptions except Dropbox with the view to move them all over to OneDrive, which I really like as long as the integration between mobile, laptop etc remains strong.

I could really see me moving 100% to Microsoft again with what they 'were' planning with their environment/eco-system, but I am holding off until I know more and the 'click baiting' articles have died down and some real facts start emerging.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This is a good example of how Microsoft's way of doing things is affecting prospective customers. If they are going to kill off Windows phones, then DO IT. If not then tell your customers you are not. I am still hanging on to my 640 hoping the end is not in sight. But i also use a Android phone becauseni do not trust them one bit.Hang in there mattodwell .

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The most important part of Microsoft's mobile stategy: The death of Windows 1...

I understand but don't you still need it for contact information?

No. Say for example that your Outlook account has contact info in it. You go to where it say Contacts, Calendars, and Mail in Settings and you enter your Outlook email address and password. Once your account is logged in, you go into the Contacts app and they're there. Any email account works the same way(Gmail, Yahoo, your ISP, whatever).
You can do this after the initial setup.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
This is a good example of how Microsoft's way of doing things is affecting prospective customers. If they are going to kill off Windows phones, then DO IT. If not then tell your customers you are not. I am still hanging on to my 640 hoping the end is not in sight. But i also use a Android phone becauseni do not trust them one bit.Hang in there mattodwell .

Cheers, yes it is very frustrating as I was ready to make the move back to windows. I think windows 10 still looks a great option but what is stopping me is that I want an integrated system that allows me to manage between a mobile and laptop style device for day to day working.

I am assuming that Windows 10 mobile will not die, just maybe how Microsoft distributes that, i.e. not on their own Windows Phone hardware, maybe. I would be happy with a Surface Phone, or another handset manufacture, as long as it wasn't poorly spec'd etc and Microsoft just managed the OS.

But, was you say, who knows, they are keeping us in the dark to their plans which is rubbish when users are trying to plan how they are going to work. I do not like the Android Eco-System much and Apple is better, but boy is there OS and Hardware dated now.

Hopefully time will tell, and not too much time either.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
What a great article by my favorite tech site. I was nodding in agreement the whole time as (imaginary) tears were rolling down my cheeks. Our beloved platform has/had so many amazing features and held so much promise but in the end the app gap is what is nailing the coffin shut, which is no surprise to anyone with a pulse.

There is nothing left here in Canada to buy. No 950. No 950XL. The only thing that may be available might be a 830 in a deep dark corner somewhere, gathering dust. But they probably wouldn't sell it to me anyways, as they need it for a door stop....

No phone before or since has caused so much excitement than my old, well loved Lumia 800. (which I still have).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: The most important part of Microsoft's mobile stategy: The death of Windows 1...

No. Say for example that your Outlook account has contact info in it. You go to where it say Contacts, Calendars, and Mail in Settings and you enter your Outlook email address and password. Once your account is logged in, you go into the Contacts app and they're there. Any email account works the same way(Gmail, Yahoo, your ISP, whatever).
You can do this after the initial setup.
I think they're alluding to the fact that you need an Apple ID just to get activated. True, you don't need to use it afterwards but you still need it to download apps. Android and Windows are no different with regard to apps, but an iPhone requires it to activate.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
My experiences with Microsoft have been both disappointing and exciting over my tech history. I was one of idiots that bought the Surface RT believing it had a future. Microsoft without too much thought or care for its customers killed that platform. Why they couldn't cut across Win10 mobile to it, I have no idea. Currently, I have a HTC M9 mobile (android), an iPad Air 2 Tablet, surface rt tablet, Xbox one (with Kinect - once again killed off by Microsoft) and various win 10 pcs. Having used all 3 oses my favourite is still Windows. I like how they all work together and am now seriously looking at getting a 950XL as a mobile phone in place of the M9. I'm not concerned about the app gap as the apps missing that I use are all Google ones. Google have this misguided strategy that somehow they'll kill off a phone and desktops OS by simply not developing for them. That's megalomania and inflated self worth at its worse and as a positive opens up app development for their programs on a platform not supported by them. Do I think Microsoft will kill off Win 10 mobile, nope. It's part of their whole technological ecosystem.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The most important part of Microsoft's mobile stategy: The death of Windows 1...

I think they're alluding to the fact that you need an Apple ID just to get activated. True, you don't need to use it afterwards but you still need it to download apps. Android and Windows are no different with regard to apps, but an iPhone requires it to activate.

No, you don't need desktop iTunes to activate an iOS device or to download apps to it. You haven't since iOS 5.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo