"650" the last lumia??!

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
tired of all these rumors of the 650 being the last lumia to be ever produced. what do you guys think? i personally do not want that to happen. I have seen the posts by Daniel Rubino though.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Dont know if it is true or not but if it is even the only lumia produced in 2016 it will be the end of the line for Microsoft in phones. They might as well not even produce it. If it is true (and who knows) just think of the millions of Windows phone users that are going to be pissed at Microsoft and change to Android or IOS. I know i would probably not use any Microsoft on my phones again. Probably just keep Windows on my two desktops and go with Android. Could be the begenning of the end for Microsoft.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Or it could just mean that they'll be using a new moniker for phones. They did say there would be 3 subsets. Budget Business and Flagship? Something like that. So could be there will be 3 different "Surface" phones? More of a rebranding because many associate Lumia's as cheap budget phones and unattractive options to the general public, while people know Surface and know it's a good brand, so maybe they're going to build off that for mobile too? Just food for thought :)

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
How many phones does Apple produce a year? The upgrade cycle is lengthening. I am using an 830, the rest of the family a 1520 and a 920. No real reason to upgrade at this point. 1-2 devices a year max sounds about right if they have proper specs, especially entering a recession.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Or it could just mean that they'll be using a new moniker for phones. They did say there would be 3 subsets. Budget Business and Flagship? Something like that. So could be there will be 3 different "Surface" phones? More of a rebranding because many associate Lumia's as cheap budget phones and unattractive options to the general public, while people know Surface and know it's a good brand, so maybe they're going to build off that for mobile too? Just food for thought :)
Well just think about it, the reason for people considering lumias as low end cheap phones was due to Microsoft's crazy strategy in 2015 only producing low end phones. And about rebranding it to surface , no hope as its only famousbin the countries where its available and in the places where its jot produced 3/4th font even know what it is.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Considering Nadella's commitment to build Windows phones and their shift in strategy, I don't foresee Microsoft pulling a Nokia. Which is to say, I don't think Microsoft will sporadically release multiple variations of low-mid range devices, and scatter them throughout the globe. I think that is a big part of why the 950 isn't available on Verizon. Microsoft doesn't want to create a unique device for each carrier. That was Nokia's strategy, a strategy forced on them by the power of the carriers. In a way, Microsoft is using their low market share to their advantage. Microsoft has decided to build the phones they want, carriers be damned. I think that's the right approach but one that leads to fewer handsets per year. I suspect Microsoft will fall inline with other OEMs, releasing a low-mid-flagship throughout the year. Whether that device is called a Lumia or Surface Phone is up in the air.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Considering Nadella's commitment to build Windows phones and their shift in strategy, I don't foresee Microsoft pulling a Nokia. Which is to say, I don't think Microsoft will sporadically release multiple variations of low-mid range devices, and scatter them throughout the globe. I think that is a big part of why the 950 isn't available on Verizon. Microsoft doesn't want to create a unique device for each carrier. That was Nokia's strategy, a strategy forced on them by the power of the carriers. In a way, Microsoft is using their low market share to their advantage. Microsoft has decided to build the phones they want, carriers be damned. I think that's the right approach but one that leads to fewer handsets per year. I suspect Microsoft will fall inline with other OEMs, releasing a low-mid-flagship throughout the year. Whether that device is called a Lumia or Surface Phone is up in the air.

I personally would hate a low or mid range "Surface Phone", though. I think the "Surface Phone" should be the flagship and keep the Lumia line for the mid and low range devices.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
tired of all these rumors of the 650 being the last lumia to be ever produced. what do you guys think? i personally do not want that to happen. I have seen the posts by Daniel Rubino though.

I thought I heard Daniel Rubino saying the 650 might be the last Lumia THIS YEAR. Where did he say the 650 would be the last Lumia ever?

It makes sense that the 650 would be the last Lumia of this year. But it still leaves room for more Lumias in the coming years though.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
We are not out of January and they are talking about no more Lumias for the rest of the year. You got to be kidding ?????

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Who knows? Right now, all that is known is the Lumia 650 and the Surface Phone 1. However, that's just what's known about Microsoft, no idea about other brands. So with MWC around the corner, it's probably best to sit back until it's over to see where everything stands.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
How many phones does Apple produce a year? The upgrade cycle is lengthening. I am using an 830, the rest of the family a 1520 and a 920. No real reason to upgrade at this point. 1-2 devices a year max sounds about right if they have proper specs, especially entering a recession.

There are WAY to many people comparing WP and release cycles with android. Android based phones are released at a mind numbing pace, just like the OS is mind numbing. If MS realeases 2 phones a year, that's awesome. People here need to calm the *&^$ down. Or, conversely, LEAVE all the negativity at the door.

Delta Concepts

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Being the last Lumia doesn't mean it will be the last smartphone produced by Microsoft. I believe there will be a new name for Microsoft's smartphones to show that Microsoft has reinvented itself in mobile producing.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
From what I understand, MS is essentially ceeding the hardware lead they inherited from Nokia. By selling fewer Lumias, it opens the market up for stronger offerings and more visibility for 3rd party OEMs, meaning more sales and a stronger platform. Ultimately MS does not want to sell phones, it wants to see its OS on other manufacturers devices akin to how google handles android.

We will see other phones from MS. However for big W10 releases we should now turn our attention to the big OEMs. Samsung, HP, HTC, LG, ZTE Huawei, Alcatel and Acer. All rumored to be producing new hardware and flagship level material.

Samsung may start offering W10 phones under its Galaxy brand this year, as it already does with its tablets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786