01-31-2016 11:10 AM
269 ... 891011
tools
    Here is the problem. We, who are fans of Windows Phone, want to have a premium device to use as our every day driver. Apparently, this is something that is not done by MS big wigs which is sad. They want us to buy and use something they wouldn't. Makes no sense.

Windows 10 Mobile is not a completed OS. It is still beta for the most part. Windows Phone 8.1 is now irrelevant as it may as well be considered legacy at this point. The mobile world works much faster than the desktop world with Moore's law and all that. MS has to adapt to the fast pace of the mobile world to fail as Blackberry did. Blackberry devices now run Android. They are no longer anything but an OEM for Google. We don't want that to happen to MS.

I say all this, but know I own and use a WP device as my daily driver. I love it, and hope to get a W10M device. I just hope they are still around then. Only the Surface Phone can turn around this ship, but it has to be one heck of a device with a wow factor the industry will love.
    01-29-2016 10:48 AM
    Nah I don't think so, a Surface Phone running Android would defeat the purpose of Surface Phone and make about as much sense as an Android laptop.
    Maybe they will do somehting like they did with Java (Microsoft Visual J++/J#), the next MicroSoon™ Surface Phone will have MicroSoon™ Android with Live tiles.
    01-29-2016 10:58 AM
    Perhaps i'm different but what are the app that Windows phone is lacking right now? I have Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, One Note, Onedrive, Office, Photoshop Express, Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, edjay ecc, I really haven't had the problem of searching for a IOS/Android app which isn't on Windows Phone, perhaps games? I don't usually play games on Phone, but I found all the little arcade one I need like asphalt, angry birds, candy crash, zombie tsunami ecc, and also there are a few snes and game boy emulator which work great and from what I know you have not those on IOS unless yu jailbreak them
    01-29-2016 11:45 AM
    for me Snapshat, Microsoft Selie, RunKeeper, Strava, NFC payment, etc.... I can be here typing the whole day.
    arwars likes this.
    01-29-2016 11:59 AM
    Here is some MSFT effort for us.

Microsoft News Pro

What's next? A "ME" tile on the iPhone? WM users can try it in the browser, it's not like MSFT is going to make an app for their own platform first. ;P
    Varun Rajan likes this.
    01-29-2016 01:41 PM
    Here is some MSFT effort for us.

Microsoft News Pro

What's next? A "ME" tile on the iPhone? WM users can try it in the browser, it's not like MSFT is going to make an app for their own platform first. ;P
    I'll bet Belfiore requested that app to get his news while on vacation.
    01-29-2016 02:00 PM
    Looks like he is twitting via iPhone

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10832284/joe-belfiore-iphone-user

no excuses:

1 - His response is a complete bull
    2 - He is using iPhone because it does have all official apps that he needs for traveling. (Social, etc...)
    3 - Microsoft needs to do something with him. He is a "icon" for windows
    devices and doing this will hurt the platform even more.
    1. yep
    2. yep
    3. nope...or maybe yes but no they wont because....windows 10 mobile is dead, Nadella dont want w10m as a Plattform
    -> news pro, outlook, office, new translator etc etc
    - any MS own app is first on competitor plattforms (of course much sooner on older devices)
    - some big launch partners (see wechat) just jumped off cause they saw how MS is acting
    - Nadella has cut down the Lumia variants so there is just low end and a soso high end, no mid class, no nothing
    - Nadella said they go to the customers
    - earning cut downs for developers when paid by store cards...of course, the way should be the other way to get MORE developers but Microsoft, or the ceo dont want it.

In short, Nadella is going to kill windows as a plattform, he dont want it and the beginning is windows 10 mobile/phone.

Sad to see this and i miss ballmer (for real)

For belfiore it is just logical not to hang around with the dead plattform, for private and business reasons....but the business ones are not to bring windows on mobile forward, it is to bringt MS services on mobile forward.
    01-29-2016 02:40 PM
    Perhaps i'm different but what are the app that Windows phone is lacking right now? I have Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, One Note, Onedrive, Office, Photoshop Express, Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, edjay ecc, I really haven't had the problem of searching for a IOS/Android app which isn't on Windows Phone, perhaps games?
    amazon music
    sky go (depends on the region)
    food delivery apps lack feature or just missing completely

no the missing apps are not games
    01-29-2016 02:45 PM
    People make a big stink for nothing. The article was designed to be a MS hit-piece and click bait. What's the big deal if Belfiore uses an iPhone? If Belfiore thinks WP sucks so what? If Belfiore uses iOS to spy and to get ideas for WP who cares?

Some employees that work for Toyota drive Nissans.
    Some employees that work for McDonalds eat at Burger King.
    Some employees that work for Milwaukee use DeWalt tools.
    Some employees that work for Cannondale ride Konas.
    Some employees that work for Time Warner Cable use Direct TV.
    Some employees that work for Nike run on New Balance shoes.
    Some employees that work for Boeing fly on Air Bus.
    Some employees that work for Pepsi drink Coke. And it goes on and on and on..........

Life moves on.
    01-29-2016 04:06 PM
    Majority of times, execs at all large corporations like to use competitor's devices and services, as well as their own. They do it so they know exactly what others are doing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. $100 says Apple execs use W10M devices as well as Android devices. They do not use a single device, they have 3-4 phones in their pockets on daily basis.
    This isn't exclusive to phones. When you go to an autoshow for example, you always see executives and CEOs from one car company sitting and checking out their competitor's products.

Only an absolute ***** executive would use his/her product only.
    01-29-2016 04:16 PM
    Once I used to praise WP 8 and 8.1 and convinced many to switch. boy that was a nice period. Now I would not dare to even try to speak of switching to Win10 as buggy and crappy as it is.
    Amen. Got my parents hooked on Windows Phone. My face when they ask me about Windows 10 Mobile:

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

This whole situation with Belfiore is just the sad reality that has to be faced and accepted. W10M is an utter train wreck. The 950 and 950XL are the most unexciting flagships ever. Developers don't care. Nadella doesn't care. MS doesn't care. Why should anyone care?
    broar94, amnesiality and arwars like this.
    01-29-2016 04:31 PM
    I don't think any of them give a darned about the current mobile devices on the market, including theirs. Satya has time and again said he does not think devices are important anymore. Others at Microsoft have stated that they want to create a new category in the Surface line. I'm waiting to see what Panos comes up and I imagine so are they. In the meantime, they will get software on the devices that will give them the best return and they will use devices that will run that software, no matter what fruit they have to eat.
    01-29-2016 04:39 PM
    Wow, such anger.
    01-29-2016 05:26 PM
    No Wonder Windows Doesn't Realize How Bad Their App Selection is, #W10Getoyouracttogether
    01-29-2016 05:46 PM
    Thats all fine and dandy, if they think devices are not important then get OUT of the phone business. But if they are going to stay in then do more than what they are doing. One or the other, but not this trivial effort we get now.
    01-29-2016 07:34 PM
    Part of design is getting a good idea of what the landscape looks like.
    Think about how many features get "borrowed" from each phone manufacturer. Putting blinders on and ignoring the competition is a surefire way to get behind on trends. The more important thing here is that you can gather insight into how to make things better.
    Remember how Satya had an iPhone during Build 2015 and it was all just MS apps on the main screen? There is a bit of platform agnosticism in the company now, and I think it's important going forward. It's like advertising on other OSes, and it really does get their name out there.

For a bit of personal perspective, I design electronics for a living (guitar pedals to be precise). Looking into what other people do and what does and doesn't work and what's popular and what's not is what my boss and I do first when designing. We talk and it over and see about how we can up our game and make something better than our competitors, something that offers differentiation. We familiarize ourselves with the landscape, and then we see how we can push things forward.

This is precisely what they have in mind when using devices like this. Plus, MS is a software company so of course they like to have their software everywhere.
    01-29-2016 07:50 PM
    1. yep
    2. yep
    3. nope...or maybe yes but no they wont because....windows 10 mobile is dead, Nadella dont want w10m as a Plattform
    -> news pro, outlook, office, new translator etc etc
    - any MS own app is first on competitor plattforms (of course much sooner on older devices)
    - some big launch partners (see wechat) just jumped off cause they saw how MS is acting
    - Nadella has cut down the Lumia variants so there is just low end and a soso high end, no mid class, no nothing
    - Nadella said they go to the customers
    - earning cut downs for developers when paid by store cards...of course, the way should be the other way to get MORE developers but Microsoft, or the ceo dont want it.

In short, Nadella is going to kill windows as a plattform, he dont want it and the beginning is windows 10 mobile/phone.

Sad to see this and i miss ballmer (for real)

For belfiore it is just logical not to hang around with the dead plattform, for private and business reasons....but the business ones are not to bring windows on mobile forward, it is to bringt MS services on mobile forward.
    Looks like Nadela was a trap.
    Open sourcing everything and now killing Windows. The investors need to wakeup

igtvr.jpg
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    01-29-2016 07:59 PM
    People make a big stink for nothing. The article was designed to be a MS hit-piece and click bait. What's the big deal if Belfiore uses an iPhone? If Belfiore thinks WP sucks so what? If Belfiore uses iOS to spy and to get ideas for WP who cares?

Some employees that work for Toyota drive Nissans.
    Some employees that work for McDonalds eat at Burger King.
    Some employees that work for Milwaukee use DeWalt tools.
    Some employees that work for Cannondale ride Konas.
    Some employees that work for Time Warner Cable use Direct TV.
    Some employees that work for Nike run on New Balance shoes.
    Some employees that work for Boeing fly on Air Bus.
    Some employees that work for Pepsi drink Coke. And it goes on and on and on..........

Life moves on.
    Toyota VP doesn't drive a Nissan
    01-29-2016 08:04 PM
    Toyota VP doesn't drive a Nissan
    The point is that Belfiore doesn't have to use what you think he should use. He has to use whatever he feels like he should use. Only an extremely short-minded person would think that since he uses an iPhone, he doesn't like/believe/whatever in Windows Phone.
    01-29-2016 08:07 PM
    01-29-2016 08:08 PM
    Whats wrong with the iPhone? I use one, the 928 is slow like ^^^^
    01-29-2016 09:13 PM
    I have always used apple and android. I was first in line buying 2 LG quantum phones for me and the wife.
    I still have a 640. on good, stable, 8.1 and it makes me so sad to see such an awesome OS go to waste.
    If any of Tim cooks iPhone team used a Windows phone in public, they would probably get fired.

At this point I wish MS would make a deal to use iTunes and the iOS App store, and be able to use all iOS apps on WP in exchange for free office on every Mac. (I know neither company would ever actually do this, but one can dream) WM UI is the best.
    Tired of waiting, so I am on iPhone 6S+, Apple Watch, iMac OS X ( with Windows 10 bootcamp partition)
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Windows Mobile 10 is nothing but a project for them now and they are using customers as testers on their own money. they've done it before, twice and they are doing it again. I've never seen a worse OS than win10 mobile ever.
    Kram Sacul and CraigCole like this.
    01-30-2016 02:19 AM
    WP will be history long before he's back from vacation. I'm a WP fan but the light in the end of tunnel is quickly fading.
    01-30-2016 05:28 AM
    Windows Mobile 10 is nothing but a project for them. ...
    Microsoft is a software company, they make billions of dollars each year by researching, planning, implementing, and maintaining projects.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 01-30-2016 at 07:12 AM.
    01-30-2016 06:42 AM
269 ... 891011