01-31-2016 11:10 AM
269 ... 56789 ...
tools
    These guys didn't foresee the smartphone would become the most important computing device for most people. They designed a companion device for the PC, a limited product closer to a feature phone. Besides, wp7 and wp8 have huge usability problems and a boring desing.

Microsoft had a big opportunity to enter the smartphone market, Belfiore and his team just blew it.
    THIS!
    Apple software is laughable, but iPhone sales makes almost 60% of it's revenue, revenue that makes it the most profitable tech company.

HOW can anyone ignore this HUGE role mobile computing, mostly PHONE computing, plays in the future? How can MS ignore that selling PCs, Office and storage can only carry them so much? As sour as it tastes, one cannot deny Apple got it right: here's were the money comes from, let's focus and defend it baring our teeths! That's why they went for the jugular with Samsung: they saw the Galaxy line as a threat to their most profitable product, to the very milking cow that supports and makes their fortune.

MS sees none of that. And in the wild, the blind are hunted down, killed and eaten.
    01-28-2016 06:45 AM
    [...]and don't even get me started with calendar: you can't search and you CAN'T GO OVER 2 WEEKS PRIOR OR FOWARD THE PRESENT DATE! How come someone could actually think any enterprise would addopt WM and not be able to see over a four week span?[...]
    That's a good one.

You know what?

Such things only start to get on the nerves when one is USING the phone as daily driver.
    And not when "testing" other OS's.

That catastrophic calendar issue is there since WP7, and obviously no one within MS noticed it because...they are not using their own phones as daily drivers.

Blame Joe.
    01-28-2016 06:46 AM
    That's a good one.

You know what?

Such things only start to get on the nerves when one is USING the phone as daily driver.
    And not when "testing" other OS's.

That catastrophic calendar issue is there since WP7, and obviously no one within MS noticed it because...they are not using their own phones as daily drivers.

Blame Joe.
    Ain't it?

Whenever a customer asked me how much he owned me, I had to say "let me get back to you later, when I'm using my OTHER phone, because THIS ONE can't show me". And the next couple of weeks I'm too sore to use WM again.
    01-28-2016 06:51 AM
    Joes response:
    joebelfiore-wp
    Joe here I wanted to comment because I think its useful for anyone working in tech.. or ASPIRING to work in tech.. to think about the trade-offs involved in what somehow appears as a "dramatic" decision! I suspect the significant majority of you will land on the same side of the issue that I have
    My job for the last couple of years has been (1) to curate the PC experience for Windows PCs (including tablet devices) and (2) to curate the experience for Windows Phones. In both capacities, its very important for me to understand products like the iPhone and Android phones, which are heavily used by PC users around the world, and which represent the competition for Windows Phone. Consumers and business users expect their PCs and phones to work in concert so to satisfy our customers we need to consider the devices they use AS WELL AS the devices wed like them to use.
    On a 9-month leave-of-absence, I have a HUGE AND UNUSUAL opportunity to get to know these products deeply. To understand the benefits and drawbacks of a full ecosystem like Windows, Android, iOS you have to LIVE IN IT. You have to feel its strengths and weaknesses, be let down, be delighted. And you cant do that just "playing around" with a device for a couple of days. You have to learn the UI, upload your photos, use cross-device apps and tools all of it.
    When we are developing a release of Windows, we MUST use it all the time, on all devices, in order to find the bugs, iterate the design. Theres really no choice or we cant build Windows as well as we should. On a leave-of-absence, there are tons of talented people doing that every day, which gives me the possibility of spending depth time on other devices, and using Windows very much like you Insiders do, without full knowledge of whats happening "behind the curtain".
    Furthermore, theres a lot of work happening at MS which integrates Windows PCs with iOS and Android devices like bringing Cortana to these phones so your intelligent assistant can help you whereever you are. I want to experience and understand all that work deeply too.
    So I think Vlad has it right when he says "its OK". (Thank you, Vlad.) But, Id go farther and say "itd be CRAZY not to"! In fact, when I posted on FB that I was taking a leave, I did mention explicitly that I would do this and (horror of horrors) Ive followed through, spending a bunch of time using Google Maps, Spotify, Periscope, a MacBook, a Nexus phone, etc.
    And.. in todays Microsoft, this practical, customer-focused attitude is well celebrated and supported. (and.. btw I love my Surface Book!)
    Thats all from me. Back to quality time with my family, well, and thinking about the (still-obviously-so-entertaining) question of what I could do next with my hair
    Well first of all windows 10 mobile is currently nearing its release so new feature additions are off the table, its more like bug fixes and performance improvements. So he is using other platforms so that windows software works best in them? Yeah that gonna calm down windows phone users.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    01-28-2016 07:10 AM
    I wonder if Tim Cook uses a windows phone to see what it is like.
    Rather, i wonder if any Apple or Google employees use Windows Phones.
    01-28-2016 07:37 AM
    Because he is not returning to Microsoft, I guess. Hope I'm wrong. His look is all Google now.
    01-28-2016 07:38 AM
    Because he is not returning to Microsoft, I guess. Hope I'm wrong. His look is all Google now.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to google.
    01-28-2016 07:45 AM
    https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/651552449052942336

That was just after the Microsoft event in which SP4, Surface Book and the new Lumias were announced.
    01-28-2016 07:58 AM
    Of course he uses competing products... How else would he know how to make his own products better?

ALL companies use products from competitors... It is how development works... You hear about something good in a competing product... You look it up, rip it off, makes it better and launches it in your own products.

Do you really think Google engineers didn't use Altavista when they were making Google? You think Apple doesn't use Windows computers/phones at their campus? You're ignorant.
    No one @ Apple has or is using a wp maybe a Windows computer but definitely not wp . At least not the smart ones
    01-28-2016 08:02 AM
    And.. in today’s Microsoft, this practical, customer-focused attitude is well celebrated and supported. (and.. btw… I love my Surface Book!)
    (SARCASM) Now I am waiting for someone to snap a photo of him at a Starbucks, drinking coffee and blogging on a MacBook Air.

Because MS needs to know how to proceed in winning over the Tooty-Frootie-Latte-Smoothie Starbucks loungers to Win10.(/SARCASM)

:) Have a great week.... and a great, fun-filled and iPhone connected vacation, Joe!
    01-28-2016 08:10 AM
    No one @ Apple has or is using a wp maybe a Windows computer but definitely not wp . At least not the smart ones
    Well I'll kinda take that back! Some may have a wp , sit back and let ms kinda innovate then bomb, and make it better and then seriously market it .
    arwars likes this.
    01-28-2016 08:11 AM
    And besides these guy are already making big buck! Why should they care what we see and and think?
    01-28-2016 08:14 AM
    And besides these guy are already making big buck! Why should they care what we see and and think?
    That is more reason for him to not use competitors platform. He should be promoting not demoting what he is being paid big bucks to do his job.
    Last edited by winboy; 01-28-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    arwars likes this.
    01-28-2016 08:21 AM
    Benedict Arnold. That's all I can say. How are they to sell this phone to others businesses to use.
    You know I was going to take this back because on Windows weekly, Paul and Mary joe said this was exactly what he was going to do.
    But then I thought really you are just getting around to this now. I am dumbfounded I don't know what is more unbelievable. That he is using the competition or just getting around to check them out now. For whatever the reason there is no good outcome people will always believe the worst.
    01-28-2016 08:27 AM
    Well first of all windows 10 mobile is currently nearing its release so new feature additions are off the table, its more like bug fixes and performance improvements. So he is using other platforms so that windows software works best in them? Yeah that gonna calm down windows phone users.
    To be fair they kinda said Windows 10 would never be finished so we can kinda hope for monthly updates.
    01-28-2016 08:38 AM
    Don't be such an *****!
    01-28-2016 09:07 AM
    Yea, it's safe to say WP, Windows Mobile, whatever you want to call it is dead. Microsoft is too busy pumping out quality apps for Android/iPhone and not dedicating any/enough resources to stabilize wm10. They've given up as well, it's pretty clear.
    No, not even. But you're too stupid to know that.
    01-28-2016 09:08 AM
    The lack of apps is what drove me and my family away from WP as well. Silly to some but essential to others jobs. Windows 10 mobile as it currently is baked is a much more frustrating experience than using iPhone or Android at the moment. I have all 3 and while I still prefer the general interface of Windows 10 mobile the lack of apps has really destroyed the system for me. Once you use iOS or android and see how much better the apps are (even if the general operating system is frustrating) it just makes sense. I was a huge apple holdout and in fact the iphone is the first apple device that I've ever bought and used. I hate the operating system but it just really works and works well and the apps are just so much better. I personally don't blame anyone for switching. I still use Windows 10 on all my computers at home and have 4 windows phones sitting here and I hope I can one day return to the platform. Even Microsoft has basically abandoned it for the last couple of years as they get their operating system and infrastructure up to speed. But as we've been saying the last 5 years...next year is the year. Is it?
    arwars likes this.
    01-28-2016 09:15 AM
    I didn't read pass page one but 99.9% of the MS employee I meet don't use WP.
    arwars likes this.
    01-28-2016 09:17 AM
    No, not even. But you're too stupid to know that.
    Well, MS hasn't proved otherwise yet.
    01-28-2016 09:18 AM
    I didn't read pass page one but 99.9% of the MS employee I meet don't use WP.
    Yeah, that's what you feel when you use WP as daily driver.

"How on earth can they put up with this, don't they use it as daily driver?"

I'm not talking about apps, I talk about one of the most important thing for my business life: The calendar.
    01-28-2016 09:30 AM
    Guys, just take a deep breath and let it go.

I't doesn't matter what Joe is using on his 9 month vacation and put it in perspective, why would he use an Windows Phone? All the apps he needs aren't there for sure.
    Using iPhone and trying to figure it out? Okay, he should have done that when that phone came out and not laugh it off with Ballmer, but anyway, Microsoft is no longer pursuing the goal to catch with Android and iOS, that ship sailed years ago for them.
    We all see how Nadella lower interest in Windows (Phone) Mobile and how developer at Microsoft clearly aren't ready to ship new version because it's filled with bugs.
    I love Windows on my Phone but will let go this year, i'm tired of waiting and you probably are too, that is why you are angry. But i completely understand that Joe is using an iPhone, if i was in his position i would do the same.

EDIT: and to be honest why you should be angry? Just switch, no one is going to blame you, i'm a big fan of Windows but i will let it go, because i want a complete smartphone experience and Windows can't do that now.
    arwars and mariusmuntean like this.
    01-28-2016 09:42 AM
    The verge who broke this story is huge. They have tones of unique visitors, I have seen estimates of a million a day. Even if a small percentage read this then that is a loss of a lot of potential customers. We are fans here we know the platform most of these people don't and have more of a reason to stay away.
    01-28-2016 10:15 AM
    When has the most modern iPhone not been the best iPhone?
    LOL, that was the joke. But in all seriousness the new processor is more than twice as fast as the last one and beats all processors in the market. Thats why i wont buy the 950XL.
    WildKarrde likes this.
    01-28-2016 10:43 AM
    I understand the angst being shown here, you are fanboys. Joe, on the other hand, is part of huge organization that is.... wait for it..... more than just phones. I completely understand why he would use an iPhone or even an android phone; they are Microsoft biggest users. You know, they use PCs. They use Office. They are the priority.
    It just stings because we want to believe that we are all in this mess together. Sorry, Microsoft has to satisfy shareholders. The money is not in Windows Phone users. It is in the users of its services and software. Those users overwhelmingly use iPhones and Android phones. Get over it.
    Does it look bad that he used an iPhone? Yep. Is it worth all the noise it is generating here? Nope. But it will continue because we lack self confidence in our platform. And no, if Jony Ives was seen using a Lumia and said he was testing the competition, there will not be an outcry in the Apple community. They are not threatened by Windows Mobile. Of course, there will be some who will complain but most will start suggesting features they hope he brings to the iPhone.
    Let's just face it, there are way more crybabies here.
    01-28-2016 10:54 AM
269 ... 56789 ...