Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Really???? My Uncle's surname is Ford, BUT.....he drives a Jaguar! Is that an issue as well??

I don't really care what they use. I've used them all, and I couldn't get on with iPhone, although I use Mac's when Dj-ing, and Linux for everything else, and only use windows when needing office etc. Android, in theory, should be top notch being based on the Linux kernel. I owned a Note 3. Cracking device but memory bleed was horrific and for a device with ample ram and speed, it got terribly slow. I cooked roms for the N3 and sorting the issues was a perpetual uphill struggle.

So, people use what suits them. I'm a cabbie and I don't have a beaded seat cover, or a tissue box on the rear shelf, so am I setting a bad example?

Nice to meet another cabbie. My 950 certainly gets a workout daily with the GPS.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
To me this is a perfect example of what is WRONG with the mobile situation at Microsoft. If they dont back their own phones why should customers. Belfiore really needs to go. Let him go work for Apple.

You can say the same thing about Nadella and the other clowns at MS who clearly don't give a crap about the platform and treat it as a low priority. At least Belfiore cared about Windows Phone at some point when the platform still had potential. I don't blame him one bit for not carrying around the bland 950 with it's embarrassing OS.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After pretty much failing on every front and getting usurped by Panos, I'm glad the era of Belfiore is over. Let him use whatever phone he wants. He's earned it.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I think that he does have the right to use whatever he wants, and maybe one reason is getting to know what other operating systems have to offer and include it in their own platform, but i also think that it might not be a good sign. To me this kind of thing says: "remember that mobile isn't our priority, so don't have high expectations because you know, profits".

Also, i'm surprised nobody said anything about that blond hair of his... he looks ready to join a japanese boy band wtf :D

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, I was hoping that this forum would be rampant with tears and whining. I'm glad to not be disappointed.

I'm not sure which is funnier, that people are surprised by this, or that they care so much. You know the platform is missing software. You know that it's popular software. It's highly likely that Microsoft executives want to use this software. Why should they do without just because you choose to when you go to Windows Phone/Mobile (for the record, I only use W10M, but I also don't feel compelled to use those apps he does)?

9sag9

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Nothing is wrong in it guys... .... There should be a difference between business life and personal life..... Its not necessary to promote your company 24x7 ... And at the end.. Its his life .. He can use what he wants... U cant expect a person to be a dog though he is a famous person and a part of a huge company... .. Life is once.. N he is taking his own decisions.. N enjoying it... Who knows what will happen tomorrow.. :)

9sag9

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I myself work in JBL .. But I prefer to listen via BOSE .. Though m married to my office life as if for now.. It doesn't mean m not loyal to company .. ..

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
He has every right to use whatever the heck he wants, in my opinion. I'd imagine also that where he is and who he is in his line of work, maybe you come home from work and you're sick of what you were staring at all day, sorta like how some say gynecologist come home and the last thing they want to look at or deal with are lady parts.

On a personal note though, I can't say that it doesn't sadden me a bit. I would have hoped that the people shaping and building a product is so enthusiastic about the product that he/she is 100% all in on the product, proud to push it's capability and even biasedly blind to it's shortcomings. At least you would then get the feel that the product is being pushed and used and there's a sense of pride to the product. All this notwithstanding, who's to say Joe B. isn't super proud and prideful of MS Mobile, just hard to see it when he's using another platform. Again, has every right to, just saddening is all.

iwameed

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Many here, I think, haven't read joe's comment on the verge's article on this. He says he did this primarily because it's important to know what you're up against when you are developing a mobile platform. He has to know what works and how it works on the competing platforms to make windows better. When's a better time to do that other than when you are on a year long break? And he might own an android as well.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've long since lost respect for Belfoire long before this non-story. All I want to read is him finally leaving Microsoft for good.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Remember the good old days?

"I have an iPhone. I don't want to have an iPhone. I want to have a NOKIA phone because I believe in you and I believe in NOKIA... I want to have that Lumia 928. When do I get it?"

mirondanro

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday when I needed my L950 the most, the phone started going crazy due to the Bluetooth / WiFi bug and needed 5 resets to recover. After this I was thinking: Is this phone used as a daily driver by Microsoft CEO? For his position it is essential to have a good working phone. If a person in his position can use the phone with no complaints then it means they have a good phone and it can be released to the public. Or at least the phone is good for business related people. If something is not working he could always point it to the team and have it fixed. But then I saw the news about Joe using an iPhone, and it became clear that even the Microsoft people don't use their own phones... But they should!! They should use the phones and fix the OS so they have a product they would use every day!

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Many here, I think, haven't read joe's comment on the verge's article on this. He says he did this primarily because it's important to know what you're up against when you are developing a mobile platform. He has to know what works and how it works on the competing platforms to make windows better. When's a better time to do that other than when you are on a year long break? And he might own an android as well.

You actually believe that story Joe told on the Verge? That was just damage control on his part. He obviously uses an iPhone as his daily driver.

And even after so many years of developing Windows Phone, if he still doesn't know what the competition offers, he really shouldn't be in charge of Windows Mobile.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
There are enough things to improve with W10M where you don't need to use an iPhone to find them out.

And this since quite some time. He should have done that work while he was in charge of this.
And instead of copying what he will find out whith using an iPhone, why not use W10M deeply, finding the bugs and thinking what would be really cool to have INDEPENDENTLY from iOS or whatever. He won't find out what a traveller misses with W10 when he is using an iPhone.
And if he thinks a cool app is missing...there are teams at MS who don't know what to do with their time, so they started to bring selfie and keyboard apps to iOS.
Let them program the app Belfiore could possibly miss.

With such leaders, MS will get nowhere. Well, he was leader wit WP7, WP8, WP8.1, and until the start of W10.....his track record isn't really one filled with leadership, with pulling strongly, with being fast and effective...
He'd better go to market something, instead of being responsible for a product line.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Jo Belfiore has a problem with truth.....
When we are developing a release of Windows, we MUST use it all the time, on all devices, in order to find the bugs, iterate the design. There’s really no choice or we can’t build Windows as well as we should.

From 2014:
Head of Windows Phone Joe Belfiore tweets from an iPhone? then realizes | 9to5Mac

From 2013:
Joe Belfiore Clarifies On His Personal Usage Of Other Platform Devices - WMPoweruser

So what now? MUST use all the time a Windows device, but in 2013 it wasn't like this or what? How could he have used an Android device for a month if true??

Sorry, is this his honesty? Not good for a leader.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys, is it really so hard to think that in order to understand the competition - which is pretty crucial in every field of business - you really need to use the product for slightly more than an hour or two in a lab every now and then? If Belfiore then fails to match and surpass the competition with MSFT products is another matter altogether. But that he shouldn't ever use the products by the competition?

I am just saying this as a CEO from another sector altogether I know and his commercial director are travelling through Europe the whole week using competitors' products to find out about their service, innovation, staffing etc. Everyone who is serious does this. Why wouldn't MSFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)