Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
These guys didn't foresee the smartphone would become the most important computing device for most people. They designed a companion device for the PC, a limited product closer to a feature phone. Besides, wp7 and wp8 have huge usability problems and a boring desing.

Microsoft had a big opportunity to enter the smartphone market, Belfiore and his team just blew it.

Competition is all about timing. These guys ddidn't get the timing right. If at all even when they did, they released a half baked product after setting huge expectations. Why would he use a wp when 8.1 is DEAD and 10 is far from being usable? Leaving the wp users with a dead OS which doesn't have any development and loaded with obselete apps in the store. These guys are still giving great speeches about W10M whereas in android you have the biggest release MI5 happening and is scheduled. How long can wp users just boast about windows just with a camera being an advantage which is also screwed up with W10M

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
As for the WP is bad, why, just because it doesn't have a few silly apps that are of interest to the 15-30yr old crowd? I don't selfie, snapchat... etc., pfffftttttt.

Dismissing these apps as "silly" is ignorant and proves a lack of understanding as to why WP is struggling. My wife loved her Windows Phone and still misses it every once in a while. The problem is that she works for one of the top private colleges in the country. With the rise is Social Media, they have expanded their reach to students in ways that never existed before. It was the lack of these "silly" apps that caused her to switch to iPhone so she could do her job!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Competition is all about timing. These guys ddidn't get the timing right. If at all even when they did, they released a half baked product after setting huge expectations. Why would he use a wp when 8.1 is DEAD and 10 is far from being usable? Leaving the wp users with a dead OS which doesn't have any development and loaded with obselete apps in the store. These guys are still giving great speeches about W10M whereas in android you have the biggest release MI5 happening and is scheduled. How long can wp users just boast about windows just with a camera being an advantage which is also screwed up with W10M

Some still do.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Okay... I have officially given up on this community... I'm sorry... But it's the people in this community that drives newcomers away... Not the products. Jealous children.

Thank you all for the years, out.
12-bye-felicia.w750.h560.2x.png

One of the strengths of the Windows Central community here is everyone feeling comfortable to express their OPINIONS and to defend them by debating with those who don't agree. This place would be boring and be mistaken for typical Apple fan site if everyone was patted on the head and given a cookie for anything and everything they say.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So conclusion:

Joe has been using an iPhone and Android devices for years... so said excuse makes no sense. Even if it's the 'latest' OS update. It's an iPhone.

No one really cares what Joe personally uses and we're all quite happy that he does look at other devices and OS.

However, he is the public face of Windows at the moment. He should have some idea that people may comment and it's perception that is important to people.

In the age of internet and social media reactions are instant. They should know this by now.

Last edited:

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Man, I wish I had everyone's psychic ablilities in that you all know what Joe is doing and why, and why MS is doing everything wrong. Me, I'd use those powers to buy powerball tickets. :) As for the WP is bad, why, just because it doesn't have a few silly apps that are of interest to the 15-30yr old crowd? I don't selfie, snapchat... etc., pfffftttttt. It works great as a phone, Edge could be better but I can still surf, keep in contact with friends on facistbook, email, message, check weather, appointments on calendar, and Cortana doesn't do to bad on reminding me of things. Just because it doesn't have every app under the sun doesn't make it a bad phone IMHO.

Sorry, Peter.
All that selfie and snapchat things are not silly, they make the platform popular - even at 41 I can understand that. And I certanly don't use those.
Also, "I can still surf" while browsing in other OSs is GOOD seems silly; "facistbook" works WAY better in iOS and Android; email takes FOREVER to load images to and from recipients; weather and messages are also very good in other platforms (sometimes, even BETTER); Cortana "not doing bad" is just sad, when people think Siri and Google Now are GOOD; and don't even get me started with calendar: you can't search and you CAN'T GO OVER 2 WEEKS PRIOR OR FOWARD THE PRESENT DATE! How come someone could actually think any enterprise would addopt WM and not be able to see over a four week span?

I guess people just tend to cling to an OS and miss the point on what is, well, missing.
"Good enough" and "don't use/need the app" is just sad.

Also, I believe, with all my heart, that when you use it at work, it's not pleasure, it's work, while when you use it on vacation, it's not work, it's pleasure.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Not defending him or anything, but, when you travel abroad, you generally only want to rack up the roaming charges on ONE device. So that device was the iPhone in this case... When I was in Japan, my partner and I didn't use our phones without renting a 3G hotspot, and we used that for all our data. But I'm sure if he has 2 phones or 3 phones, the others were on Airplane mode and only one was connected. Or I could be completely wrong and didn't care and used them all, or doesn't even use a WP, or prefers iPhone to WP... Who knows! Just throwing out there the possibility... :)
When you travel abroad, you want to pack a phone that WORKS.
That's just what he did, and that would be really ok if he wasn't the head guy pushing a non-working OS to the public.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
These guys didn't foresee the smartphone would become the most important computing device for most people. They designed a companion device for the PC, a limited product closer to a feature phone. Besides, wp7 and wp8 have huge usability problems and a boring desing.

Microsoft had a big opportunity to enter the smartphone market, Belfiore and his team just blew it.
THIS!
Apple software is laughable, but iPhone sales makes almost 60% of it's revenue, revenue that makes it the most profitable tech company.

HOW can anyone ignore this HUGE role mobile computing, mostly PHONE computing, plays in the future? How can MS ignore that selling PCs, Office and storage can only carry them so much? As sour as it tastes, one cannot deny Apple got it right: here's were the money comes from, let's focus and defend it baring our teeths! That's why they went for the jugular with Samsung: they saw the Galaxy line as a threat to their most profitable product, to the very milking cow that supports and makes their fortune.

MS sees none of that. And in the wild, the blind are hunted down, killed and eaten.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
[...]and don't even get me started with calendar: you can't search and you CAN'T GO OVER 2 WEEKS PRIOR OR FOWARD THE PRESENT DATE! How come someone could actually think any enterprise would addopt WM and not be able to see over a four week span?[...]
That's a good one.

You know what?

Such things only start to get on the nerves when one is USING the phone as daily driver.
And not when "testing" other OS's.

That catastrophic calendar issue is there since WP7, and obviously no one within MS noticed it because...they are not using their own phones as daily drivers.

Blame Joe.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
That's a good one.

You know what?

Such things only start to get on the nerves when one is USING the phone as daily driver.
And not when "testing" other OS's.

That catastrophic calendar issue is there since WP7, and obviously no one within MS noticed it because...they are not using their own phones as daily drivers.

Blame Joe.
Ain't it?

Whenever a customer asked me how much he owned me, I had to say "let me get back to you later, when I'm using my OTHER phone, because THIS ONE can't show me". And the next couple of weeks I'm too sore to use WM again.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Joes response:
joebelfiore-wp
Joe here ? I wanted to comment because I think it?s useful for anyone working in tech.. or ASPIRING to work in tech.. to think about the trade-offs involved in what somehow appears as a "dramatic" decision! I suspect the significant majority of you will land on the same side of the issue that I have?
My job for the last couple of years has been (1) to curate the PC experience for Windows PCs (including tablet devices) and (2) to curate the experience for Windows Phones. In both capacities, it?s very important for me to understand products like the iPhone and Android phones, which are heavily used by PC users around the world, and which represent the competition for Windows Phone. Consumers and business users expect their PCs and phones to work in concert? so to satisfy our customers we need to consider the devices they use AS WELL AS the devices we?d like them to use.
On a 9-month leave-of-absence, I have a HUGE AND UNUSUAL opportunity to get to know these products deeply. To understand the benefits and drawbacks of a full ecosystem like Windows, Android, iOS ? you have to LIVE IN IT. You have to feel its strengths and weaknesses, be let down, be delighted. And you can?t do that just "playing around" with a device for a couple of days. You have to learn the UI, upload your photos, use cross-device apps and tools? all of it.
When we are developing a release of Windows, we MUST use it all the time, on all devices, in order to find the bugs, iterate the design. There?s really no choice or we can?t build Windows as well as we should. On a leave-of-absence, there are tons of talented people doing that every day, which gives me the possibility of spending depth time on other devices, and using Windows very much like you Insiders do, without full knowledge of what?s happening "behind the curtain".
Furthermore, there?s a lot of work happening at MS which integrates Windows PCs with iOS and Android devices? like bringing Cortana to these phones so your intelligent assistant can help you whereever you are. I want to experience and understand all that work deeply too.
So ? I think Vlad has it right when he says "it?s OK". (Thank you, Vlad.) But, I?d go farther and say "it?d be CRAZY not to"! In fact, when I posted on FB that I was taking a leave, I did mention explicitly that I would do this? and (horror of horrors) I?ve followed through, spending a bunch of time using Google Maps, Spotify, Periscope, a MacBook, a Nexus phone, etc.
And.. in today?s Microsoft, this practical, customer-focused attitude is well celebrated and supported. (and.. btw? I love my Surface Book!)
That?s all from me. Back to quality time with my family, well, and thinking about the (still-obviously-so-entertaining) question of what I could do next with my hair?

Well first of all windows 10 mobile is currently nearing its release so new feature additions are off the table, its more like bug fixes and performance improvements. So he is using other platforms so that windows software works best in them? Yeah that gonna calm down windows phone users.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Of course he uses competing products... How else would he know how to make his own products better?

ALL companies use products from competitors... It is how development works... You hear about something good in a competing product... You look it up, rip it off, makes it better and launches it in your own products.

Do you really think Google engineers didn't use Altavista when they were making Google? You think Apple doesn't use Windows computers/phones at their campus? You're ignorant.

No one @ Apple has or is using a wp maybe a Windows computer but definitely not wp . At least not the smart ones

arwars

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
And.. in today’s Microsoft, this practical, customer-focused attitude is well celebrated and supported. (and.. btw… I love my Surface Book!)

(SARCASM) Now I am waiting for someone to snap a photo of him at a Starbucks, drinking coffee and blogging on a MacBook Air.

Because MS needs to know how to proceed in winning over the Tooty-Frootie-Latte-Smoothie Starbucks loungers to Win10.(/SARCASM)

:) Have a great week.... and a great, fun-filled and iPhone connected vacation, Joe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre