Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammed Hikmet

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
sigh.. no one really cares what he uses, most consumers don't go reading every article in every tech site, they don't even read articles in tech sites..

Plus it doesn't harm you in any way. you like windows phone? then freaking use windows phone.
How annoying.

Edwin Yuen

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd be happier if he just told the truth and said iPhone works better for his needs. His excuse was pretty bad and was only believed by the most institutionalized of fanboys.

I know that I'm late to the thread but I'm ex-MSFT, worked there for 7 years, and I saw Joe a number of times on Campus, even at the Commons at the various cell carrier stores to have his phone looked at. Even then, in 2011, he carried an iPhone. I was a little shocked at first to see it but when I asked others I knew in the WP group about it, they said that's common since they work with WP every day and many needed the every day experience with other phone OS. Most of them had 8-10 different phones and used 2-3 regularly. I even know one of the leads of Google compete that used a Nexus phone as his daily phone. I know the "use the competition" story seems like an excuse but it really isn't at MSFT. I would know, I ran a competitive intelligence team there.

All this didn't mean that their loyalty to MSFT or WP was any less. Now, if Joe is on sabbatical (which is available to MSFT employees at a high enough level and after 10 years of service), he can certainly use any phone he wants. Is it a little weird he is posting from his iPhone? Kinda. Is it disappointing? Yes. Is it some betrayal of MSFT/Windows that all of a sudden he is using an iPhone? No. He's been using iPhone for years, even potentially as a daily driver, he just hasn't been posting from it.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes they are, and work better. but the excuse he wrote is despicable really...I mean come on, the iphone and android are on the market for a long time, don't tell me that he does not know what those platforms can and can't do, even more if MS has apps on them...

You are being ridiculous. He has been working on Windows Phone for most of his career. He is on an extended leave. This is his first free time in a while. He has decided to get to know THE CURRENT iOS iteration. Not the old one. Not the iOS that was available last year. THE CURRENT ONE. And he has decided to do that on his free time. And get this.... he said he would be doing this weeks before he did it. He wasn't caught using it. We knew he would be doing this because he told us he would weeks ago!
Seriously, you guys need to get a life. You guys get upset over the most mundane of things.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I agree, but I also understand the outrage (to an extent). People are frustrated, their nerves are raw. People wish WM would finally succeed and we've since noticed W10M offers us nothing to get excited over. So, everybody is looking for someone to blame.
This occurence serves us a possible traitor on a silver tablet. I think the level of outrage is completely overblown , but that it's happening is very much expected.

Last edited:

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Here is the problem. We, who are fans of Windows Phone, want to have a premium device to use as our every day driver. Apparently, this is something that is not done by MS big wigs which is sad. They want us to buy and use something they wouldn't. Makes no sense.

Windows 10 Mobile is not a completed OS. It is still beta for the most part. Windows Phone 8.1 is now irrelevant as it may as well be considered legacy at this point. The mobile world works much faster than the desktop world with Moore's law and all that. MS has to adapt to the fast pace of the mobile world to fail as Blackberry did. Blackberry devices now run Android. They are no longer anything but an OEM for Google. We don't want that to happen to MS.

I say all this, but know I own and use a WP device as my daily driver. I love it, and hope to get a W10M device. I just hope they are still around then. Only the Surface Phone can turn around this ship, but it has to be one heck of a device with a wow factor the industry will love.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Nah I don't think so, a Surface Phone running Android would defeat the purpose of Surface Phone and make about as much sense as an Android laptop.

Maybe they will do somehting like they did with Java (Microsoft Visual J++/J#), the next MicroSoon™ Surface Phone will have MicroSoon™ Android with Live tiles.

Genio88

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps i'm different but what are the app that Windows phone is lacking right now? I have Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, One Note, Onedrive, Office, Photoshop Express, Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, edjay ecc, I really haven't had the problem of searching for a IOS/Android app which isn't on Windows Phone, perhaps games? I don't usually play games on Phone, but I found all the little arcade one I need like asphalt, angry birds, candy crash, zombie tsunami ecc, and also there are a few snes and game boy emulator which work great and from what I know you have not those on IOS unless yu jailbreak them

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Looks like he is twitting via iPhone

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10832284/joe-belfiore-iphone-user

no excuses:

1 - His response is a complete bull
2 - He is using iPhone because it does have all official apps that he needs for traveling. (Social, etc...)
3 - Microsoft needs to do something with him. He is a "icon" for windows
devices and doing this will hurt the platform even more.
1. yep
2. yep
3. nope...or maybe yes but no they wont because....windows 10 mobile is dead, Nadella dont want w10m as a Plattform
-> news pro, outlook, office, new translator etc etc
- any MS own app is first on competitor plattforms (of course much sooner on older devices)
- some big launch partners (see wechat) just jumped off cause they saw how MS is acting
- Nadella has cut down the Lumia variants so there is just low end and a soso high end, no mid class, no nothing
- Nadella said they go to the customers
- earning cut downs for developers when paid by store cards...of course, the way should be the other way to get MORE developers but Microsoft, or the ceo dont want it.

In short, Nadella is going to kill windows as a plattform, he dont want it and the beginning is windows 10 mobile/phone.

Sad to see this and i miss ballmer (for real)

For belfiore it is just logical not to hang around with the dead plattform, for private and business reasons....but the business ones are not to bring windows on mobile forward, it is to bringt MS services on mobile forward.

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps i'm different but what are the app that Windows phone is lacking right now? I have Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, One Note, Onedrive, Office, Photoshop Express, Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, edjay ecc, I really haven't had the problem of searching for a IOS/Android app which isn't on Windows Phone, perhaps games?
amazon music
sky go (depends on the region)
food delivery apps lack feature or just missing completely

no the missing apps are not games

Barstow15

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
People make a big stink for nothing. The article was designed to be a MS hit-piece and click bait. What's the big deal if Belfiore uses an iPhone? If Belfiore thinks WP sucks so what? If Belfiore uses iOS to spy and to get ideas for WP who cares?

Some employees that work for Toyota drive Nissans.
Some employees that work for McDonalds eat at Burger King.
Some employees that work for Milwaukee use DeWalt tools.
Some employees that work for Cannondale ride Konas.
Some employees that work for Time Warner Cable use Direct TV.
Some employees that work for Nike run on New Balance shoes.
Some employees that work for Boeing fly on Air Bus.
Some employees that work for Pepsi drink Coke. And it goes on and on and on..........

Life moves on.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Majority of times, execs at all large corporations like to use competitor's devices and services, as well as their own. They do it so they know exactly what others are doing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. $100 says Apple execs use W10M devices as well as Android devices. They do not use a single device, they have 3-4 phones in their pockets on daily basis.
This isn't exclusive to phones. When you go to an autoshow for example, you always see executives and CEOs from one car company sitting and checking out their competitor's products.

Only an absolute ***** executive would use his/her product only.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Once I used to praise WP 8 and 8.1 and convinced many to switch. boy that was a nice period. Now I would not dare to even try to speak of switching to Win10 as buggy and crappy as it is.

Amen. Got my parents hooked on Windows Phone. My face when they ask me about Windows 10 Mobile:

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

This whole situation with Belfiore is just the sad reality that has to be faced and accepted. W10M is an utter train wreck. The 950 and 950XL are the most unexciting flagships ever. Developers don't care. Nadella doesn't care. MS doesn't care. Why should anyone care?

Dueydoodah

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think any of them give a darned about the current mobile devices on the market, including theirs. Satya has time and again said he does not think devices are important anymore. Others at Microsoft have stated that they want to create a new category in the Surface line. I'm waiting to see what Panos comes up and I imagine so are they. In the meantime, they will get software on the devices that will give them the best return and they will use devices that will run that software, no matter what fruit they have to eat.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thats all fine and dandy, if they think devices are not important then get OUT of the phone business. But if they are going to stay in then do more than what they are doing. One or the other, but not this trivial effort we get now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99