Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPuppy

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Part of design is getting a good idea of what the landscape looks like.
Think about how many features get "borrowed" from each phone manufacturer. Putting blinders on and ignoring the competition is a surefire way to get behind on trends. The more important thing here is that you can gather insight into how to make things better.
Remember how Satya had an iPhone during Build 2015 and it was all just MS apps on the main screen? There is a bit of platform agnosticism in the company now, and I think it's important going forward. It's like advertising on other OSes, and it really does get their name out there.

For a bit of personal perspective, I design electronics for a living (guitar pedals to be precise). Looking into what other people do and what does and doesn't work and what's popular and what's not is what my boss and I do first when designing. We talk and it over and see about how we can up our game and make something better than our competitors, something that offers differentiation. We familiarize ourselves with the landscape, and then we see how we can push things forward.

This is precisely what they have in mind when using devices like this. Plus, MS is a software company so of course they like to have their software everywhere.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
1. yep
2. yep
3. nope...or maybe yes but no they wont because....windows 10 mobile is dead, Nadella dont want w10m as a Plattform
-> news pro, outlook, office, new translator etc etc
- any MS own app is first on competitor plattforms (of course much sooner on older devices)
- some big launch partners (see wechat) just jumped off cause they saw how MS is acting
- Nadella has cut down the Lumia variants so there is just low end and a soso high end, no mid class, no nothing
- Nadella said they go to the customers
- earning cut downs for developers when paid by store cards...of course, the way should be the other way to get MORE developers but Microsoft, or the ceo dont want it.

In short, Nadella is going to kill windows as a plattform, he dont want it and the beginning is windows 10 mobile/phone.

Sad to see this and i miss ballmer (for real)

For belfiore it is just logical not to hang around with the dead plattform, for private and business reasons....but the business ones are not to bring windows on mobile forward, it is to bringt MS services on mobile forward.

Looks like Nadela was a trap.
Open sourcing everything and now killing Windows. The investors need to wakeup

iGTVR.jpg

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
People make a big stink for nothing. The article was designed to be a MS hit-piece and click bait. What's the big deal if Belfiore uses an iPhone? If Belfiore thinks WP sucks so what? If Belfiore uses iOS to spy and to get ideas for WP who cares?

Some employees that work for Toyota drive Nissans.
Some employees that work for McDonalds eat at Burger King.
Some employees that work for Milwaukee use DeWalt tools.
Some employees that work for Cannondale ride Konas.
Some employees that work for Time Warner Cable use Direct TV.
Some employees that work for Nike run on New Balance shoes.
Some employees that work for Boeing fly on Air Bus.
Some employees that work for Pepsi drink Coke. And it goes on and on and on..........

Life moves on.

Toyota VP doesn't drive a Nissan

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Toyota VP doesn't drive a Nissan

The point is that Belfiore doesn't have to use what you think he should use. He has to use whatever he feels like he should use. Only an extremely short-minded person would think that since he uses an iPhone, he doesn't like/believe/whatever in Windows Phone.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have always used apple and android. I was first in line buying 2 LG quantum phones for me and the wife.
I still have a 640. on good, stable, 8.1 and it makes me so sad to see such an awesome OS go to waste.
If any of Tim cooks iPhone team used a Windows phone in public, they would probably get fired.

At this point I wish MS would make a deal to use iTunes and the iOS App store, and be able to use all iOS apps on WP in exchange for free office on every Mac. (I know neither company would ever actually do this, but one can dream) WM UI is the best.
Tired of waiting, so I am on iPhone 6S+, Apple Watch, iMac OS X ( with Windows 10 bootcamp partition)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows Mobile 10 is nothing but a project for them now and they are using customers as testers on their own money. they've done it before, twice and they are doing it again. I've never seen a worse OS than win10 mobile ever.

winc_hargie

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Joe Belfiore iPhone's Review (Vacation Edition):

sar.jpgsar.jpgsar.jpgsar.jpgsar.jpg
JOE BELFIORE?S RATING

THE GOOD/ IMPROVED SPEED EVERYWHERE (NEW PROCESSOR, FASTER WIRELESS, QUICKER TOUCH ID SENSOR); A STURDIER BODY; BETTER FRONT AND REAR CAMERAS; A BOLD NEW 3D TOUCH PRESSURE-SENSITIVE DISPLAY THAT COULD END UP BEING A REALLY USEFUL TOOL IN APPS DOWN THE ROAD, AND WHICH ALREADY OFFERS NEW IOS SHORTCUTS.

THE BAD/ EXPENSIVE, MINOR SOFTWARE FLAWS, HEAVY.

THE BEST/ MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOWS 10 MOBILE. BEST IN SHOOTING SELFIE, USING MICROSOFT SELFIE. SOCIAL MEDIA APPS ARE VERY GREAT, I CAN EASILY UPLOAD MY VACATION?S PHOTOS SHOWCASING MY NEW COLORED HAIR (I SEND MY VACATION?S PHOTOS TO MY BOSS NADELLA; NADELLA IS IPHONE PRO USER). IOS IS BEST, VERY OPTIMIZED, AND SLEEK AND FAST (UNLIKE W10M). APPS UPDATES REGULARLY.
?WELL, ACTUALLY, WHILE I?M IN VACATION, MY IPHONE IS USING IOS 9.3. I?M ONE OF MILLION IOS LOVER BETA TESTER OUT THERE. NO PROBLEM, IN FACT THE NEW NIGHT VISION MODE WORKS REALLY, REALLY GREAT. THE OS STILL IN BETA YET, BUT I DON?T EXPERIENCED BUGS, LAGS UNLIKE WIN10M?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Joe Belfiore iPhone's Review (Vacation Edition):

View attachment 121554View attachment 121554View attachment 121554View attachment 121554View attachment 121554
JOE BELFIORE?S RATING

THE GOOD/ IMPROVED SPEED EVERYWHERE (NEW PROCESSOR, FASTER WIRELESS, QUICKER TOUCH ID SENSOR); A STURDIER BODY; BETTER FRONT AND REAR CAMERAS; A BOLD NEW 3D TOUCH PRESSURE-SENSITIVE DISPLAY THAT COULD END UP BEING A REALLY USEFUL TOOL IN APPS DOWN THE ROAD, AND WHICH ALREADY OFFERS NEW IOS SHORTCUTS.

THE BAD/ EXPENSIVE, MINOR SOFTWARE FLAWS, HEAVY.

THE BEST/ MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOWS 10 MOBILE. BEST IN SHOOTING SELFIE, USING MICROSOFT SELFIE. SOCIAL MEDIA APPS ARE VERY GREAT, I CAN EASILY UPLOAD MY VACATION?S PHOTOS SHOWCASING MY NEW COLORED HAIR (I SEND MY VACATION?S PHOTOS TO MY BOSS NADELLA; NADELLA IS IPHONE PRO USER). IOS IS BEST, VERY OPTIMIZED, AND SLEEK AND FAST (UNLIKE W10M). APPS UPDATES REGULARLY.
?WELL, ACTUALLY, WHILE I?M IN VACATION, MY IPHONE IS USING IOS 9.3. I?M ONE OF MILLION IOS LOVER BETA TESTER OUT THERE. NO PROBLEM, IN FACT THE NEW NIGHT VISION MODE WORKS REALLY, REALLY GREAT. THE OS STILL IN BETA YET, BUT I DON?T EXPERIENCED BUGS, LAGS UNLIKE WIN10M?

:)) good one. IOS betas are indeed way better than this win10 mobile.

mohmia

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think this guy should have been fired a while ago. I believe he was indeed fired albeit given a euphemistic name to it saying he's on one year long vacation. No one will give a head of a division this long a vacation while that division is struggling to survive :)... I don't care what phone he uses after he's been kicked out. I'd blame the current state of Windows phone/mobile squarely on him. His inability to release important fixes and attract app developers is the cause of this downward spiral of WP.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Joe!
To understand MS you have to use their products... might help.
Optics. You are using an IPhone and you work for MS.
Like Pope having sex - you have no faith.

Stan77

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
The point is that Belfiore doesn't have to use what you think he should use. He has to use whatever he feels like he should use. Only an extremely short-minded person would think that since he uses an iPhone, he doesn't like/believe/whatever in Windows Phone.

As the head of the division, he should represent in the first place. He can of course use whatever the hell he wants ? in private ? but he should represent in public.

I really can't imagine Tim Cook using a Windows phone or an Android handset, not in public.

Robinator

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's fine for Joe to use I guess, but is it wise? I think that if all microscope staff used their own products -- and were required to mostly -- then we would see better products. It is sad that we are struggling with bugs while Joe is apparently unawares because he is wealthy and on another platform.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

WaverunningGeek

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I think y'all need to rethink this without your emotions.

(1) Like it or not, the iPhone is the one to beat right now. By immersing himself in that world, Joe can learn where the deficiencies are and work them into Windows Mobile. There's nothing BS about that.

(2) We all know how deficient the Windows App store is. As much I want to go "all-in" on the Windows ecosystem, I can't because 75% of the apps I use on a daily basis aren't there. I suspect Joe is the same situation. Yet you people expect him to give up productivity to save face? That's idiotic.

(3) If Joe were to use Windows Mobile right now, he'd want to give feedback to the Windows Team. Except he's on vacation right now and shouldn't get sucked in to that world.

I completely support Joe and what he's doing because it's the best for the platform AND the best for him. The people saying that he needs to go clearly have no idea how software design works and need to get back to what they know, which clearly isn't technology.:eck:

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is different in a lot of ways, but being someone who followed Apple and Next back in the day, there were these stories about Steve Jobs using an IBM Thinkpad with NeXTstep (rather than a PowerBook) for a while after coming back to Apple:

NeXT Computers :: View topic - Steve Jobs ThinkPad

Sometimes the best things you can do for a team/company is use the best product and if it's not theirs, point out why not.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786