Is Windows Phone really dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Verge has already declared the OS as dead.
What's to say about The Verge? ...it's The Verge; not a reputable tech outlet.

I hesitate to even address them a technology outlet... they are, and always have been a fashion website with a thin 'techie' skin overlaying it. It's all about what's stylish, what materials are in... they care more about convincing the public that they absolutely want to - metaphorically speaking - judge a book by it's cover.

Until a product is released with a metal ring, aluminum instead of "cheap, gross plastic" and chamfered edges they don't want to acknowledge anything a piece of technology can be good at.

There's something to be said about them immediately having a MacBook (and open, admitted Apple bias) shoved down their throat the day someone's hired to be on team verge... which I'd forgive if they weren't so damned inconsistent. For example, in their "Best of 2015" video they praised Apple's app store for having "hundreds of thousands" of apps then; in the same video, bashed the Windows Store when technically, Windows (whether we're talking desktop store apps or mobile store apps) has that same milestone of "hundreds of thousands" of apps under it's belt too. Tom Warren is their only shred of Microsoft-flavored anything, and he's pretty much let himself turn into Topolsky 2.0.

Their opinions involving Microsoft anything - including that article about Windows Phone being dead - are generally horrifically misinformed, and are picked and torn apart by it's own users (and rightfully so).

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Been away for a couple of days, did I miss something, happily working away using my SP3 pro, my desktop and my 1520, and according to the posts on here, I need to panic like a silly sheep and no longer enjoy Windows 10 on a phone, even though it isn't officially been released yet.

Teach me to have a few days off, silly me.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
As for my non-Verge-bashing input... I don't think Windows Phone is dead. Microsoft is, however, making a lot of bad decisions that spread quickly. Admittedly, the damn near-impossible Lumia 950 preorders almost made me ditch the platform for an iPhone just out of how frustrating it was - that **** almost made Microsoft lose a Windows Phone diehard like myself. Even before that there was an absolutely maddening process of getting them to tell us an actual release date. Then there was the troublesome, poorly timed (and low-profile) Lumia 950/950XL release which was done before they overcame any obstacles with CDMA carriers... the Lumia 950/950XL couldn't have possibly made an impact released like that... but their biggest oversight is what it always has been: public relations.

When a vocal minority of displeased users speaks out against the Lumia 950/950XL that's supposed to save your mobile division, you quickly step in because 1 loud displeased person can be heard over 20 silent satisfied users. The Lumia 950/950XL which are often associated with bugs are actually met with many more favorable reviews than it is negative... and Microsoft's missing a out on a good opportunity for a "Hear what people are saying about the Lumia 950" ad campaign.

Apple has this down to a science. Look at the iPad Pro. From the moment it was revealed that it'd run iOS with no mouse or expansion slot, everything about this being a "Pro" device was immediately questioned. And upon it's release, a striking amount of our favorite reviewers (Linus Tech Tips, Austin Evans, etc) and others determined it was absolutely not for professionals that wanted to get any professional-grade work done - just as we could expect. How does Apple fire back? Showing us professional work that has been done on an iPad Pro. I'm certainly not replacing my laptop with it, but the userbase that already has is much bigger than me.

The app selection of Windows Phone is improving every single day, and Microsoft has a lot of very obvious ways they can use that to combat the stigma that Windows Phone has no apps... but they don't. So when The Verge's team wants to make a ridiculously cherry-picked claim that the app situation on Windows Phone is getting worse - they can get away with it. For a company like Microsoft, Windows Phone can be kept alive indefinitely - and kept alive even in the face of horrid numbers/press... but if they wanna see the situation improve they're going to have to take a card from Apple's book and shift focus towards fixing their damn PR.

Last edited:

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
As for my non-Verge-bashing input... I don't think Windows Phone is dead. Microsoft is, however, making a lot of bad decisions that spread quickly. Admittedly, damn near-impossible Lumia 950 preorders almost made me ditch the platform for an iPhone just out of how frustrating it was - that **** almost made Microsoft lose a Windows Phone diehard. Before that there was an absolutely maddening process of getting them to tell us an actual release date. Then there was the troublesome, poorly timed (and low-profile) Lumia 950/950XL release which was done before they overcame any obstacles with CDMA carriers... but their biggest oversight is what it always has been: public relations.

When a vocal minority of displeased users speaks out against the Lumia 950/950XL that's supposed to save your mobile division, you quickly step in because 1 loud displeased person can be heard over 20 silent satisfied users. The Lumia 950/950XL which are often associated with bugs are actually met with many more favorable reviews than it is negative... and Microsoft's missing a out on a good opportunity for a "Hear what people are saying about the Lumia 950" ad campaign.

Apple has this down to a science. Look at the iPad Pro. From the moment it was revealed that it'd run iOS with no mouse or expansion slot, everything about this being a "Pro" device was immediately questioned. And upon it's release, a striking amount of our favorite reviewers (Linus Tech Tips, Austin Evans, etc) and others determined it was absolutely not for professionals that wanted to get any professional-grade work done - just as we could expect. How does Apple fire back? Showing us professional work that has been done on an iPad Pro. I'm certainly not replacing my laptop with it, but the userbase that already has is much bigger than me.

The app selection of Windows Phone is improving every single day, and Microsoft has a lot of very obvious ways they can use that to combat the stigma that Windows Phone has no apps... but they don't. So when The Verge's team wants to make a ridiculously cherry-picked claim that the app situation on Windows Phone is getting worse - they can get away with it. For a company like Microsoft, Windows Phone can be kept alive indefinitely - and kept alive even in the face of horrid numbers/press... but if they wanna see the situation improve they're going to have to take a card from Apple's book and shift focus towards fixing their damn PR.

I agree 100%. I feel like all this is not because the platform is bad, it is about a complete lack of effort from Microsoft. Like they just don't care. No marketing, no nothing. I have never seen any kind of marketing towards Lumias since I bought my 930 in summer of 2014. And back then, I had no idea some Lumia 930 even existed, I only had some vague knowledge that there are Nokia phones that run Windows Phone, I had to do my own research to find out that this is the phone for me.

Look at the other two platforms; iOS is so dull and boring it makes me want to jump off a bridge. And android? Man, that thing looks like it was made by crazy clowns in a circus.

Windows Phone is the best choice for me. It always will be. And it suffers from Microsoft's bad reputation. Whenever I tell somebody that I have a Windows Phone, they tell me that it sucks, without even seeing the system. It "sucks because Windows Vista sucked and Microsoft sucks and why would I put Windows on my phone when I hate it so much on my PC?" Then I show them my phone and how the system works and they are amazed. This way I even convinced a few people to buy a Windows Phone themselves, neither one has ever complained "it sucks". They all love it, as I do.

Microsoft is sabotaging themselves with bad PR, no marketing. They have a very bad public reputation (at least in my country) and they do nothing about it. They frustrate their own fans and so on ... Man I really love the platform, somebody, please wake Microsoft up!

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I was channel hopping earlier and saw QVC showing a "How to use Windows 10" guide and the presenter went on to say how she loves 10, the best OS ever and how to get the best out of it on your desktop, laptop, tablet and WINDOWS PHONE.

Yes I can now say I have heard of windows 10 and even Windows 10 mobile on the telly :eek:rly:

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
If grocery stores become aware of this, then yes they would see the advantage. But I think they have to be shown how their apps could be more convenient.

I use OneNote the same way you do. I love that capability. Typing out lists on a phone gets tiresome. It's a lot quicker to use the keyboard at home and then have the information available in the phone when you're in the store.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that the web apps don't allow scanning of the loyalty card barcode, adding e-coupons directly to the rewards card, refilling prescriptions by taking a picture of the barcode. The website, even the desktop version, is pretty much useless.

Well, with web apps you can have native code and web reliant code :).

The point I was trying to make is that grocery chains can have a web app for their content, and invoke native code for additional functionality. For instance the Game Reward app does this, it fetches content (web wrapper),is able to invoke the camera, integrate with the wallet, store your reward card offline now previously it is online only etc.

wp_ss_20160131_0001.png

Project Westminster as far as I'm aware is supposed to expand this functionality therefore giving the impression a web app is a native app. However things can always change and it may be deemed that a combination of web reliant code and native code is still the best method. As allowing web code deeper access does open up a whole new can of worms.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there another example of a phone only app that wouldn't have any purpose if it was accessible on the PC?

Just wondering.

I can think of plenty that would not make sense on a pc.

- smartwatch app
- fitness tracking (unless you like running with a desktop on your back)
- car usage tracking (since you would not have a pc in your car)

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
There is no doubt that Windows 10 mobile is a good alternative to iOS and android. Live tiles,continuum, Iris scanner, Cortana... There is a long list of unique features of Windows OS. But what's is the point of having all this if nobody is buying the phone. Microsoft need to put their phone in hands of more and more people. Not everybody cares about app gap. There are millions of people who dont need Snapchat. Make a phone for them. Something like Lumia 520.keep the pricing accordingly. Once people start using the phone and get a feel of OS, they will continue to use it. But you can see what is actually happening. Next Lumia 650 looks so good by its design. But what about its internals? And most probably at its launch, it will be priced so ridiculously that only windows fans will end up buying it..

It will be cheaply priced but it will have low-end hardware with a high-end look. That is what will deter consumers. With all of that said without a stable worth using and smile about OS, it's a lost cause.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that the web apps don't allow scanning of the loyalty card barcode, adding e-coupons directly to the rewards card, refilling prescriptions by taking a picture of the barcode. The website, even the desktop version, is pretty much useless.
Web apps from the Windows Store have access to native Windows APIs, so all those things are possible.
However, few people uses those apps, the real problem are the big apps.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
THIS. MS knows that in 10-15 years (maybe less) there won't be any computers you can't pick up and put into your pocket. Everything else will just be for display and input. Mobile is the ONLY future for computing. So they gotta get in there before Google or Apple broach the Office suite or enterprise monopoly and kill MS completely. But the hardware just isn't there. So they are using their very low marketshare as a proving ground for mobile ideas to keep their software and hardware folks experienced in that arena until the hardware can manage a passable mobile PC experience. MS can't just hire a bunch of apple/android software guys 6 months before they are ready to roll out a PC phone. So they are willing to take the loss and all the criticism on WM10 just to carry through till they can cut the Gordian knot that removes phones as a separate software ecosystem from PCs.

At least that is what I tell myself :p MS has to be TERRIFIED that apple will somehow snatch Office from them or that Google will win over businesses with low cost PCs running android. I think they feel that they can win, in time, with a PC phone and watch as Apple tumbles to the ground as soon as the iphone craze fades out in favor of some other device. I don't think Apple will ever make an iOS PC cheap enough to win over businesses, but you never know.

Eventually folks will have a phone that docks with various levels of powered systems for home gaming, school tablet use, etc. But large businesses will probably never let employees walk home with the office computer so there will always be a need for an anchored PC in the workplace. I hope MS doesn't retreat into just this workplace PC realm, leaving consumer computing behind (aside from Office apps). I think they can craft a strong niche of MS made phones, tablets, and PCs just like Apple with the added benefit of substantial workplace crossover.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree.

The mobile computing will always be part of the future, but so are full sized computers.

Full sized computers will always be more powerful than the pocket sized computers due to more room available for larger hardware and better cooling. Mobile computers will get powerful, but there will always be a desktop equivalent that is more powerful. There will always be a need for a more powerful desktop hardware.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

varun kulkarni1

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am a fan of windows and believe the OS has the potential to reach great heights.
Windows already have good command over its OS for PCs and the continuum feature is really cool.

What people need is APPS and a lot of APPS...APPS for everything and anything a person thinks of searching in the store.
Every time a new app is created, its first on the IOS and the Android.. (Ofcourse, thanks to the huge market share).
If Microsoft makes sure to release the apps with same features as for the other OS's, at the same time, then we will see the market shifting to windows.

toby182

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't refer The Verge for any Microsoft product reviews... they always seem to give out this really sceptical biased vibe to it. At the state Windows Mobile is in now, I'd say it is Nintendo Wii all over again. We are given actual pocket PCs now with the Continuum... Maybe we're not embracing the evolution?

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, we all know MS has something big coming up (and THEY made sure we known that as well), most probably the panos/surface phone, so they are basically saving the marketing campaign, resources and efforts for the launch of that device for several reasons:

1) Despite how great the new Lumia's feel (or don't feel), the OS is still incomplete and that is very clear to anyone who picks them up, so MS would be shooting themselves in the foot, by marketing them; better to have devices out for the fans who know they exist and know their flaws, than gain new users who will return the devices within a few days and never go back to MS phones due to their one-time bad experience. This is also confirmed with the fact that MS said they were releasing these devices for the fans.

2) I believe MS knew the mobile OS wouldn't be done on time but it also had an obligation to meet, so they released these devices with the expectation, there was going to be complaints and lack of interest, but better to have something than nothing. Either way, these devices are great whether they were meant to be released or not

3) Considering MS has made clear the existence of the Panos/Surface phone, immediately after releasing these devices, they have basically told us, enjoy these great devices but what we really intended on releasing, will be coming soon.

4) Despite its mistakes, MS isn't THAT daft (or so we hope), they did afterall cause a dent with the existing Surface devices, which also started a new trend. These devices did tackle the top selling iPad; should the phones remain in the hands of previous teams, I might have lost hope but knowing they are under the reigns of Panos, I have faith what they have in store, will be worthwhile.

That said, the 950/XL are definitely great devices that shouldn't be overlooked, we know Windows 10 Mobile isn't complete and it is the OS that is truly the worst part of those devices, the hardware is great and the backplate can be replaced for something more premium, while yes it is an extra $50 or so, it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone or Galaxy.

Always remember, MS did say they were releasing these for the fans, so they are fully aware of their strategy, let's just hope that strategy doesn't work against them in the long run.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
When you don't release new phones and those that are available are only available on a few carriers, you can't expect record sales.

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
When you don't release new phones and those that are available are only available on a few carriers, you can't expect record sales.

That's the thing, I don't think they are expecting record sales, which is why they would say something like they are releasing these for the fans ...nor do I think they actually wanted these devices to have record sales due to the unfinished OS ...it would be an embarrassment and would do more damage than good for them.

This is why, I believe they didn't care so much about releasing them on all carriers in the US, why they are not widely available everywhere and why they don't really care about marketing them.

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows phones are amazing, actually the best.
The problems is / was all this old NOKIA style, 4,5,6,7, and models, and then then the top models, 920, 930, 1020 and 1520.
Only the topmodels are great, but I need to agree it?s a bit messy and change to much in style and design.
But again, it was all NOKIAs crazy style and way to manage smart phones, therefore they end up dead.
Microsoft continued with Elos as the top boss, and continued this crazy Nokia style, until the woke up and kick him out - hurray.

Microsoft will change it all, first they need to manage the WP 10 OS, it?s great but still nee to be polished a bit, ant it goes fast with that now.
And then we will get SURFACE phones, can we say phones in a high end class, and with a top design like the amazing Surface serie of tablets.
It means they have a full program of SURFACE devices, phones, tablets and laptop - actually like Apple. The difference is just the quality, MS is much better and what we know from the everyday.
What they will do with the low end devices - 4,5,6,7,8 - I think they are dead and Lumia is in my eyes dead, we know 650 will be the last one. Only MS know what the future will brings about these cheap low ends.

By the way, I love my 950 XL and docking station, wow amazing, and this way is the future. All this garbage people often write about this model isn?t tru, it works amazing.
And soon it will be even better, a bit more updates on he OS is needed, but it works amazing.

They have found there legs and put them to the ground - now we will get real MS devices, SURFACE.
And really look forward to the professional line, nice and good phones together with the strong SURFACE serie - big hurray for that.

laevanay

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Let me help MS. First of all if you want increase market share, make the phones available to users to test out, exactly like using the public/Windows phone users as beta testers, increase market presence by including a crappy low end Windows phone with each sale of Windows tablet/laptop/desktop even X-Box. That will be the intro to the handset once you give people the handset to play with people will understand the differences. You cannot expect people to pay iPhone and Nexus prices for a sub-par experience especially when the OS is not finished or MS is not even sure about the platform. Next step will be to give the people a working phone OS. Right now, after 3 iterations in the past 6 years, is no excuse of the sorry state the OS is in.....

Drinking the Kool-aid is not enough now... MS has ignored the release of flagship models for the past 2 years and expect an increase of market share? During the past 2 years, we got introduced to 8.1 which broke a lot of apps and some of them had to be rewritten only to be rewritten again for WMP10. Sure we might have a strategy now... but we also had one when Windows 8 was released making previous hardware and app iterations obsolete and then 8.1 and now WMP10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre