02-01-2016 04:06 PM
135 12345 ...
tools
    There is no doubt that Windows 10 mobile is a good alternative to iOS and android. Live tiles,continuum, Iris scanner, Cortana... There is a long list of unique features of Windows OS. But what's is the point of having all this if nobody is buying the phone. Microsoft need to put their phone in hands of more and more people. Not everybody cares about app gap. There are millions of people who dont need Snapchat. Make a phone for them. Something like Lumia 520.keep the pricing accordingly. Once people start using the phone and get a feel of OS, they will continue to use it. But you can see what is actually happening. Next Lumia 650 looks so good by its design. But what about its internals? And most probably at its launch, it will be priced so ridiculously that only windows fans will end up buying it..

It will be cheaply priced but it will have low-end hardware with a high-end look. That is what will deter consumers. With all of that said without a stable worth using and smile about OS, it's a lost cause.
    01-31-2016 09:20 AM
    The problem is that the web apps don't allow scanning of the loyalty card barcode, adding e-coupons directly to the rewards card, refilling prescriptions by taking a picture of the barcode. The website, even the desktop version, is pretty much useless.
    Web apps from the Windows Store have access to native Windows APIs, so all those things are possible.
    However, few people uses those apps, the real problem are the big apps.
    01-31-2016 09:23 AM
    THIS. MS knows that in 10-15 years (maybe less) there won't be any computers you can't pick up and put into your pocket. Everything else will just be for display and input. Mobile is the ONLY future for computing. So they gotta get in there before Google or Apple broach the Office suite or enterprise monopoly and kill MS completely. But the hardware just isn't there. So they are using their very low marketshare as a proving ground for mobile ideas to keep their software and hardware folks experienced in that arena until the hardware can manage a passable mobile PC experience. MS can't just hire a bunch of apple/android software guys 6 months before they are ready to roll out a PC phone. So they are willing to take the loss and all the criticism on WM10 just to carry through till they can cut the Gordian knot that removes phones as a separate software ecosystem from PCs.

At least that is what I tell myself :P MS has to be TERRIFIED that apple will somehow snatch Office from them or that Google will win over businesses with low cost PCs running android. I think they feel that they can win, in time, with a PC phone and watch as Apple tumbles to the ground as soon as the iphone craze fades out in favor of some other device. I don't think Apple will ever make an iOS PC cheap enough to win over businesses, but you never know.

Eventually folks will have a phone that docks with various levels of powered systems for home gaming, school tablet use, etc. But large businesses will probably never let employees walk home with the office computer so there will always be a need for an anchored PC in the workplace. I hope MS doesn't retreat into just this workplace PC realm, leaving consumer computing behind (aside from Office apps). I think they can craft a strong niche of MS made phones, tablets, and PCs just like Apple with the added benefit of substantial workplace crossover.
    I am sorry, but I have to disagree.

The mobile computing will always be part of the future, but so are full sized computers.

Full sized computers will always be more powerful than the pocket sized computers due to more room available for larger hardware and better cooling. Mobile computers will get powerful, but there will always be a desktop equivalent that is more powerful. There will always be a need for a more powerful desktop hardware.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10
    GMC262 likes this.
    01-31-2016 09:23 AM
    Hi All,

I am a fan of windows and believe the OS has the potential to reach great heights.
    Windows already have good command over its OS for PCs and the continuum feature is really cool.

What people need is APPS and a lot of APPS...APPS for everything and anything a person thinks of searching in the store.
    Every time a new app is created, its first on the IOS and the Android.. (Ofcourse, thanks to the huge market share).
    If Microsoft makes sure to release the apps with same features as for the other OS's, at the same time, then we will see the market shifting to windows.
    zapppa83 likes this.
    01-31-2016 10:12 AM
    I personally wouldn't refer The Verge for any Microsoft product reviews... they always seem to give out this really sceptical biased vibe to it. At the state Windows Mobile is in now, I'd say it is Nintendo Wii all over again. We are given actual pocket PCs now with the Continuum... Maybe we're not embracing the evolution?
    TLRtheory likes this.
    01-31-2016 10:13 AM
    The way I see it, we all know MS has something big coming up (and THEY made sure we known that as well), most probably the panos/surface phone, so they are basically saving the marketing campaign, resources and efforts for the launch of that device for several reasons:

1) Despite how great the new Lumia's feel (or don't feel), the OS is still incomplete and that is very clear to anyone who picks them up, so MS would be shooting themselves in the foot, by marketing them; better to have devices out for the fans who know they exist and know their flaws, than gain new users who will return the devices within a few days and never go back to MS phones due to their one-time bad experience. This is also confirmed with the fact that MS said they were releasing these devices for the fans.

2) I believe MS knew the mobile OS wouldn't be done on time but it also had an obligation to meet, so they released these devices with the expectation, there was going to be complaints and lack of interest, but better to have something than nothing. Either way, these devices are great whether they were meant to be released or not

3) Considering MS has made clear the existence of the Panos/Surface phone, immediately after releasing these devices, they have basically told us, enjoy these great devices but what we really intended on releasing, will be coming soon.

4) Despite its mistakes, MS isn't THAT daft (or so we hope), they did afterall cause a dent with the existing Surface devices, which also started a new trend. These devices did tackle the top selling iPad; should the phones remain in the hands of previous teams, I might have lost hope but knowing they are under the reigns of Panos, I have faith what they have in store, will be worthwhile.

That said, the 950/XL are definitely great devices that shouldn't be overlooked, we know Windows 10 Mobile isn't complete and it is the OS that is truly the worst part of those devices, the hardware is great and the backplate can be replaced for something more premium, while yes it is an extra $50 or so, it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone or Galaxy.

Always remember, MS did say they were releasing these for the fans, so they are fully aware of their strategy, let's just hope that strategy doesn't work against them in the long run.
    Player Piano, mandong and libra89 like this.
    01-31-2016 01:24 PM
    When you don't release new phones and those that are available are only available on a few carriers, you can't expect record sales.
    01-31-2016 01:36 PM
    When you don't release new phones and those that are available are only available on a few carriers, you can't expect record sales.
    That's the thing, I don't think they are expecting record sales, which is why they would say something like they are releasing these for the fans ...nor do I think they actually wanted these devices to have record sales due to the unfinished OS ...it would be an embarrassment and would do more damage than good for them.

This is why, I believe they didn't care so much about releasing them on all carriers in the US, why they are not widely available everywhere and why they don't really care about marketing them.
    01-31-2016 01:44 PM
    Windows phones are amazing, actually the best.
    The problems is / was all this old NOKIA style, 4,5,6,7, and models, and then then the top models, 920, 930, 1020 and 1520.
    Only the topmodels are great, but I need to agree its a bit messy and change to much in style and design.
    But again, it was all NOKIAs crazy style and way to manage smart phones, therefore they end up dead.
    Microsoft continued with Elos as the top boss, and continued this crazy Nokia style, until the woke up and kick him out - hurray.

Microsoft will change it all, first they need to manage the WP 10 OS, its great but still nee to be polished a bit, ant it goes fast with that now.
    And then we will get SURFACE phones, can we say phones in a high end class, and with a top design like the amazing Surface serie of tablets.
    It means they have a full program of SURFACE devices, phones, tablets and laptop - actually like Apple. The difference is just the quality, MS is much better and what we know from the everyday.
    What they will do with the low end devices - 4,5,6,7,8 - I think they are dead and Lumia is in my eyes dead, we know 650 will be the last one. Only MS know what the future will brings about these cheap low ends.

By the way, I love my 950 XL and docking station, wow amazing, and this way is the future. All this garbage people often write about this model isnt tru, it works amazing.
    And soon it will be even better, a bit more updates on he OS is needed, but it works amazing.

They have found there legs and put them to the ground - now we will get real MS devices, SURFACE.
    And really look forward to the professional line, nice and good phones together with the strong SURFACE serie - big hurray for that.
    01-31-2016 01:54 PM
    Let me help MS. First of all if you want increase market share, make the phones available to users to test out, exactly like using the public/Windows phone users as beta testers, increase market presence by including a crappy low end Windows phone with each sale of Windows tablet/laptop/desktop even X-Box. That will be the intro to the handset once you give people the handset to play with people will understand the differences. You cannot expect people to pay iPhone and Nexus prices for a sub-par experience especially when the OS is not finished or MS is not even sure about the platform. Next step will be to give the people a working phone OS. Right now, after 3 iterations in the past 6 years, is no excuse of the sorry state the OS is in.....

Drinking the Kool-aid is not enough now... MS has ignored the release of flagship models for the past 2 years and expect an increase of market share? During the past 2 years, we got introduced to 8.1 which broke a lot of apps and some of them had to be rewritten only to be rewritten again for WMP10. Sure we might have a strategy now... but we also had one when Windows 8 was released making previous hardware and app iterations obsolete and then 8.1 and now WMP10.
    01-31-2016 02:17 PM
    Windows phones are amazing, actually the best.
    The problems is / was all this old NOKIA style, 4,5,6,7, and models, and then then the top models, 920, 930, 1020 and 1520.
    Only the topmodels are great, but I need to agree its a bit messy and change to much in style and design.
    But again, it was all NOKIAs crazy style and way to manage smart phones, therefore they end up dead.
    Microsoft continued with Elos as the top boss, and continued this crazy Nokia style, until the woke up and kick him out - hurray.

Microsoft will change it all, first they need to manage the WP 10 OS, its great but still nee to be polished a bit, ant it goes fast with that now.
    And then we will get SURFACE phones, can we say phones in a high end class, and with a top design like the amazing Surface serie of tablets.
    It means they have a full program of SURFACE devices, phones, tablets and laptop - actually like Apple. The difference is just the quality, MS is much better and what we know from the everyday.
    What they will do with the low end devices - 4,5,6,7,8 - I think they are dead and Lumia is in my eyes dead, we know 650 will be the last one. Only MS know what the future will brings about these cheap low ends.

By the way, I love my 950 XL and docking station, wow amazing, and this way is the future. All this garbage people often write about this model isnt tru, it works amazing.
    And soon it will be even better, a bit more updates on he OS is needed, but it works amazing.

They have found there legs and put them to the ground - now we will get real MS devices, SURFACE.
    And really look forward to the professional line, nice and good phones together with the strong SURFACE serie - big hurray for that.
    I agree with your post, just few things I would like to touch up on.

I believe the reason Nokia released so many series, was because they were testing the waters to see which model price-range consumers bought into the most and eventually the result would allow them to focus on specific models and price ranges, like what MS is doing now.

As for MS, their Surface Phone and Lumias ....I believe the Surface will ultimately become their flagship device, which will replace the Lumia flagships but the Lumia's will live on as the mid-range and lower-range devices for low-cost and business-focused devices.

This would make sense for several reasons,

1) Surface have become known for their premium hardware, so a Surface phone will immediately be recognized as a flagship phone from MS

2) because the Surface is recognized as a premium device, they wont (or shouldn't) brand the mid and lower range devices as Surface, as that would tarnish the image of Surface devices, so keeping Lumia for those devices would make sense, especially since the brand name is already out there.
    01-31-2016 02:18 PM
    I fear that a lot of people have placed unreasonable expectations on the "Surface Phone." The idea is great: a hero device built with premium materials and boasting killer specs that rivals or surpasses everything on the market. Assuming that it becomes a reality, what's really going to change? Are devs that haven't embraced WP/W10M suddenly going to want to build apps for it? If not, what's the point? You can have the most powerful, most beautiful phone the world has ever known, but if the apps aren't there, it might as well be a paperweight.
    k72, mariusmuntean and libra89 like this.
    01-31-2016 03:48 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile is far from being ready. Microsoft apps on iOS are superior to those on Windows 10 Mobile. You can have Cortana, Skype, Office, One Drive, All interacting with each other, Syncronized with your Mac or Windows 10 PC, as well as your Android Devices. It doesn't get better than! I have used Windows Phone (8.1 and the latest builds of 10) for a year now, and I don't see a future for the system.
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    01-31-2016 04:00 PM
    Bye bye.

And good luck to you, I am happy where I am thank you.
    01-31-2016 04:14 PM
    I fear that a lot of people have placed unreasonable expectations on the "Surface Phone." The idea is great: a hero device built with premium materials and boasting killer specs that rivals or surpasses everything on the market. Assuming that it becomes a reality, what's really going to change? Are devs that haven't embraced WP/W10M suddenly going to want to build apps for it? If not, what's the point? You can have the most powerful, most beautiful phone the world has ever known, but if the apps aren't there, it might as well be a paperweight.
    Your thinking is in the right place it might not even be a Surface Phone and might just be a new Lumia powerhouse but I'd bet on a Surface Phone since it been mentioned by MS themselves.

There is an unreasonable expectation for a Surface Phone and those who are putting the highest of expectation, who are mostly the same people who have been complaining about the Lumia 950/XL not being worth the money, are going to be the first to complain that the Surface Phone is expensive, so let's get that point out of the way.

If the phone does indeed bring something new to the table that will make people think twice before dismissing the device, then that's already an accomplishment, especially if it's building off the momentum of the current Surface devices. Lumia's have been dismissed and ignored, so even if MS releases a Lumia rebranded as a Surface, it's already likely to gain more attention, so having it live up to the premium standards of Surface and offering some sort of a hybrid to continue the trend the Surface line set, can only be more in its favor.

If it also does indeed run Win32 apps AND runs continuum, then it practically would have just carved out a new market, as people will see more benefit in buying a Surface phone over competing devices, which is what I think Microsoft is doing. The current Continuum is just like Win10m, a feature in development which needed more time, hence the release of the "Fan devices," until the actual device they wanted to release with the completed OS is ready.

Having a Premium Phone in your pocket that is capable of running full Win32 apps through continuum is already a game changer, Surface branding will also give it more weight since the brand is already popular among consumers. The only issue I can foresee, is the price, it really has to hit the sweet spot, so it doesn't put people off.

Having it run Win32 apps, would also partially solve the app gap, since consumers would be able to install actual programs on their devices, so this would give the new Win10m/Surface phone leverage over iOS/Android, since both of those can't do that. If this scenario catch on with consumers, then MS will have a new-found success in their hands and devs will begin by porting their existing apps through the Bridge solution MS has provided to make their lives easier.

Again, we know nothing of Surface phone but I'm drawing my opinion from what currently IS a success for Microsoft and what made it a success - The Surface Series ...and what they have worked hard on to develop, one OS for everything ...as well as continuum to allow for a laptop experience in your pocket ...so with all that in mind, I don't think my opinion is far-fetched but it could be just that, my opinion and nothing else.
    Charles Brown8 likes this.
    01-31-2016 04:32 PM
    Bored to tear by these threads. Just saying.
    ArtificiallyYours likes this.
    01-31-2016 04:47 PM
    Competing Indirectly =/= Pretty Much Dead

To be blunt I think the only people callout Windows 10 mobile "dead" are the ones who preach sanctimonious about Duopolies being the only future for Smartphones. Since when did smartphones become a matter of less options equaling more innovation? It'd be a boring market if Win10M was actually going away for good (which it isn't).
    01-31-2016 05:10 PM
    Its not dead, they just don't care how much market share they have anymore. They will still continue on with W10M but it will go nowhere fast as everyone expected, but that doesn't mean it will suck. The 950/XL is exactly what they said it was, a phone for the fans, everything we have wanted hardware wise. Software will get there someday I suppose. W10M is getting better with every release, but with phones like the Galaxy S7/iPhone 7 coming out and no "Surface Phone" response on the horizon, MS will still have a 1.5% market share. The best we can hope for is a really good flagship in Q1 of 17 and hope that the app gap gets better with universal apps. As a fan I hope its not dead. I don't want a future with only iOS and Android.
    rageofthemike likes this.
    01-31-2016 05:15 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile is far from being ready. Microsoft apps on iOS are superior to those on Windows 10 Mobile. You can have Cortana, Skype, Office, One Drive, All interacting with each other, Syncronized with your Mac or Windows 10 PC, as well as your Android Devices. It doesn't get better than! I have used Windows Phone (8.1 and the latest builds of 10) for a year now, and I don't see a future for the system.
    I like your enthusiasm, enjoy your iPhone. I like my iPhone 6.
    01-31-2016 05:19 PM
    If windows phones hasn't got a future then they wouldn't be updating wp10 insider all the time so like it's a bit of a stupid thing for msft to do. Especially since they have just released the 950 xl. I don't know it's a bit confusing to say the least.
    01-31-2016 06:29 PM
    I'm starting to think so.

the app gap, the ''always in beta'' software, hell, even the lack of cases and accessories.

Hardware's pretty neat though. I like the hardware. Software's just really lacking, IMO.
    01-31-2016 07:04 PM
    I'm starting to think so.

the app gap, the ''always in beta'' software, hell, even the lack of cases and accessories.

Hardware's pretty neat though. I like the hardware. Software's just really lacking, IMO.
    I still don't understand the app gap cos my 16GB SD Card is soo full of apps that I had to upgrade to a 32GB... But for the accessories' and cases, yup! Windows mobile is really lacking.
    01-31-2016 07:14 PM
    I still don't understand the app gap cos my 16GB SD Card is soo full of apps that I had to upgrade to a 32GB... But for the accessories' and cases, yup! Windows mobile is really lacking.
    Bank apps, work apps, regional apps, popular apps, most games. That in a nutshell is the app gap on Windows.
    GMC262, Laura Knotek and theefman like this.
    01-31-2016 07:29 PM
    With WeChat pulling the plug (WeChat is China), and Whatsapp Exec complaining of WP giving up customers too easily, I will say WP is indeed dying.
    It is a sad stage, I was hoping it would become the 3rd platform of choice but it never work out.
    MSFT does not seem to bother much either. WP 8.1 was perfect. W10m is buggy, sloppy and signals the direction MSFT set for WP platform.

I guess it is iOS time again. I do miss all those great apps.

Unfortunate for WP OS, if 8.1 get enough attentions and efforts, w10m would be one of the best mobile OS in the planet.
    theefman likes this.
    01-31-2016 07:52 PM
    That's like saying "What do you mean when you say there's no decent restaurants in town?" When all we can see are fast food Burger Places.
    theefman likes this.
    01-31-2016 08:36 PM
135 12345 ...