Is Windows Phone really dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
"Dead" No. Someday, just like everything, yes. Today, actually no. People love drama and to exaggerate, meanwhile my phone still works, they still sell phones, and issue updates. Take a deep breath.

ram ramu

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
its not dead

Everything will change my friend within 2 years. as of july most of the pc's are upgraded to win10.so the developers for pc has to develop new universal apps and as they develop the also port their software to the windows phone with very less effort but if the windows phone has to survive for one year else they will develop ony for pc's and they will not consider win phones..but microsoft has to reduce the price of their phones and to target the phones on low end users as the lumia520 hit in india..android is a crap even though it has high specs after one year they have to upgrade to another phone as the phones are with outdated os but for us even 520 can run on win10 os but the microsoft's statagy is different they are saving them even though windows phone is dead the will survive with apps and surface..so only they are developing apps for android and ios. they will not gave up phones .if they give up then microsoft will be dead within 10 years as the future of computing will be mobile they know that win10 mobile will not become best os in present so they develop apps for android and ios but in future the users of android and ios will fed up with their os and convert to win10 to try it.as of now we the fans have to run the win10 mobile for 2years untill the people pick up win phone so only they are releasing phones for fans 950& xl to encourage usss!!!!

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so this post is kinda going to go off topic a bit (well, maybe a lot) but I think it all ties back into this discussion in a convoluted sort of way.

Way back in the days of early personal computers there were quite a few interesting offerings from various companies. IBM had it's Intel based 8088 PC, Apple was pushing out the Apple ][ line, and then there were other minor players like Commodore, BBC Micro, Tandy, Texas Instruments and scores of others. Each system had it's own special features that set them apart from the others. The difference ended up being the marketing and availability of the systems. IBM allowed the PC to be build by just about anyone with a soldering iron, while Apple kept much tight control over it's hardware. The other companies each tried to compete by bringing out newer computers with better features, but in the end, they just didn't market their products and pretty much fell by the wayside. That leaves us with two major PC systems, with a few very minor players trying to pick off a few percentage points of that market share when they can.

So now today we have Microsoft, Apple and various incarnations of Linux as the major players in the desktop operating system world. Two of those do a ton of advertising, and the other relies on word of mouth of its user base. You can see how the market share of each fares because of this.

Now look at the mobile phone market. Again, three (or four if you count Blackberry as well) major players, two of them are doing very well because they advertise the daylights out of their devices, and the others rely on that word of mouth to try and gain a foothold. I think Microsoft can hold on and stay a fan based market for quite a while, but only if they keep those fans happy and supported. Keeping silent, making promises they can't or won't keep, or just generally ignoring the small user base they have will cause it to implode. But if they do the right thing by their customers and fans, I think we could see a resurgence, albeit probably a very slow one. If they aren't going to advertise their phones, then they had better start advertising the unified windows experience and deliver on it. Support those businesses who want to have that kind of interoperability between all their devices. This could be a great thing for Microsoft, but only if consumers know about it and understand what it can do for them. They are only going to get so far relying on the free word of mouth advertising from its fans, because as it stands now that advertising appears to be more negative than positive.

So, Microsoft: Learn from the mistakes of others. Get vocal, VERY vocal about Windows 10 across all devices. Get people interested in the product and deliver it. Windows Mobile as an OS and Phone experience is far from over, but ignoring the problems will only make it end sooner.

</rant>

ram ramu

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
yes advertisement is also important apart from that they have to release only two phones a year one lower end and high end phones and provide proper support for that phones as apple did and also they have to reduce their price tag for the phones

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
"Dead" No. Someday, just like everything, yes. Today, actually no. People love drama and to exaggerate, meanwhile my phone still works, they still sell phones, and issue updates. Take a deep breath.
This is a fair point, but seeing the numbers really makes one wonder if developers would even bother now, especially for NA based apps, or worse, they decide to pull their app :/

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
This is a fair point, but seeing the numbers really makes one wonder if developers would even bother now, especially for NA based apps, or worse, they decide to pull their app :/

Huh? Isn't that the point of the massive Windows 10 push, Universal Apps. Developers would make app that works across all devices. Therefore the number of WM10 users is a moot point for a developer, or should be at least.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Isn't that the point of the massive Windows 10 push, Universal Apps. Developers would make app that works across all devices. Therefore the number of WM10 users is a moot point for a developer, or should be at least.
The problem is with those apps that serve no purpose on devices other than phones. For example, these grocery store apps would not have any purpose on anything but phones, so the grocery store chain would not bother to develop Universal Apps.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will probably ditch Windows phone all together soon and why not, for them its not really bringing them any financial gain, they have more than enough focus on the other departments to justify a failing element within a huge business, its a bit like a failing area of a company, they allow it to tick along for as long as it can, usually due to the fact management are focused on other areas and haven't the time to deal with the bad egg area, but then it starts to create negative feedback from external sources and you have to deal with it, usually by relocating or closing said department. I would say that they will possibly R&D the surface phone, but will get it to a certain level and then the upper management will probably and justifiably shelve the project and focus on more lucrative and easier markets as they have the choice to do that, they already have their roots spread into the opposing iOS and Android markets and can easily develop that area quicker and with less negative or financial fallout.

Manfred Pohler

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
With universal apps there is a big chance (for MS) to change the things.
For me as a developer it's just a little effort to support mobile also when I create a Windows (desktop) app.

Some "polish" (enable specific things in the APIs) and it is a perfect plattform - billions of customers from desktop - and this could close the "app gap".
So from my point of view Desktop has a chance to make the things going for mobile...

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will probably ditch Windows phone all together soon and why not, for them its not really bringing them any financial gain, they have more than enough focus on the other departments to justify a failing element within a huge business, its a bit like a failing area of a company, they allow it to tick along for as long as it can, usually due to the fact management are focused on other areas and haven't the time to deal with the bad egg area, but then it starts to create negative feedback from external sources and you have to deal with it, usually by relocating or closing said department. I would say that they will possibly R&D the surface phone, but will get it to a certain level and then the upper management will probably and justifiably shelve the project and focus on more lucrative and easier markets as they have the choice to do that, they already have their roots spread into the opposing iOS and Android markets and can easily develop that area quicker and with less negative or financial fallout.
I suspect it has nothing to do with management not having time to deal with it. I suspect it's more of a case that Microsoft just doesn't want to announce it's exiting the mobile phone market because of the negative effect it will have on their company. They're probably just trying to let it die naturally in an attempt to slip out the back door so to speak, but the problem is, it doesn't seem to be working as everyone has already caught on to them.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
With universal apps there is a big chance (for MS) to change the things.
For me as a developer it's just a little effort to support mobile also when I create a Windows (desktop) app.

Some "polish" (enable specific things in the APIs) and it is a perfect plattform - billions of customers from desktop - and this could close the "app gap".
So from my point of view Desktop has a chance to make the things going for mobile...
Since you're a developer, I am genuinally curious as to how you think the strategy of universal apps will help the mobile phone division. I can see how it makes sense for other devices and of course there is no doubt it will be handy and cool to have the same apps on your phone as your desktop. The trouble is most people want a smartphone not just an extension of their desktop device. What I mean is, how will it help for apps that only make sense on a smartphone?

Manfred Pohler

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Since you're a developer, I am genuinally curious as to how you think the strategy of universal apps will help the mobile phone division. I can see how it makes sense for other devices and of course there is no doubt it will be handy and cool to have the same apps on your phone as your desktop. The trouble is most people want a smartphone not just an extension of their desktop device. What I mean is, how will it help for apps that only make sense on a smartphone?
I guess the border between "mobile" and phone will sooner or later disappear.
Which app will only make sense on my phone and not on my LTE 10" tablet?
Just kidding - I know there are some...

But from my perspective it is (can / could be) a way to make WM more attractive it there are good universal apps available.
Imagine there are a bunch of real cool apps you use on your desktop.
And some of them also exist on the phone - and (I think this is important) only on Window Mobile.
For an example (and there are bad news from my perspective) think about Excel.
You make your football high score table there (with a lot of detail) - later you take the sheet to the next match on your phone and add "tochdown at XX:YY by ZZZ" to the table.
Or take the same sheet to a meeting with your friends discussing who performed best...

Or another example - use your phone when you visit a potential new home. Take pictures, make notes...
And at home - at the desktop the app can make plans out of your pictures taken.
Build a 3D model - check how you new home will be...
Or when looking at another house - check (with you phone) how the other offers compare to this one...

I hope you can (somehow) agree that there is a place (need?) for apps which "extend your phone".
And now there are developers which make such apps - and with every (real great for your needs) app you will think about how nice it would be if you could use the mobile version of this app.
Given the right number of great apps this could make a change in how many people would like to have this "desktop extension device".
Such a device must not fail in other situations (must be a good phone too), but if that is the case having it would make sense.

And in that situation an Android developer may think about making "his app" available on WM (since there is a market).
And (that's what I love with universal apps) - he can also make a desktop version of this app - with just a litte more work.
And here is the next point - convert "your Android app" to WM - hm.,,.. 2% market share - not worth the effort.
But thinking of billions of Desktop (Tablet) Users could change your mind.

From my point of view there are three reasons (except marketing) to grow the "need" for a specific device.
Good "hardware", cool features, and an app for everything.

A last thing - above I wrote, that "there a bad things" when I mentioned Excel.
I'm not a marketing or business guy - but if my goal would be to make WM a great thing and get a good market share...
I would under no circumstances make Excel available on competitor devices.
Maybe in a "locked down" version (read only access or so) but making "my onw apps" run on competitors OSes removes an important argument of "why should I buy a Windows Phone".
Because off a fully functional office suite? I get the same (and some even better) on iOS / Android,
Continuum makes a difference - but that's a thing a lot of people even don't know what it is...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The problem is with those apps that serve no purpose on devices other than phones. For example, these grocery store apps would not have any purpose on anything but phones, so the grocery store chain would not bother to develop Universal Apps.
Regarding the grocery store chain app example, wouldn't having their app available on the PC be a plus for them? My family uses a synced OneNote list for our grocery list. Yes, mostly we access it from our Windows Phones, but each of us has, on occasion, enjoyed the convenience of accessing the list from our respective PCs to quickly add or to check on an item. Maybe grocery stores would want their app available on their customers PC to increase it's availability / convenience. A universal app would make sense for that.

I really don't know if grocery stores would think this was an advantage, by my family does.

Is there another example of a phone only app that wouldn't have any purpose if it was accessible on the PC?

Just wondering.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
More than slightly exaggerated if you ask me. The verge has been chomping at the bit to push this story. Including holding a mock Windows Phone funeral. But it is the nature of blogs like the Verge to exaggerate, embellish, spin and outright lie to persuade the mobile community how to think about this phone.

This product is morphing from Windows Phone 7 and it is going to take time to complete. It has to be tested, torn apart and tested again. It has to have one bullet proof OS since it will be paired with its operating system with tighter integration than any other mobile platform. That takes time. Smart phone buyers don't have to wait around until that happens and many don't. And that's expected. The verge has a very simpleminded audience and simpleminded bloggers. All they have ever developed is a keen sense of selling technical dishonesty and making that mainstream. It works and it sells ad space. But that isn't the truth. Its pure sophistry

But you cannot deny the improvements in this OS and understand that its not a finished product. Usable yes, but still being developed.

Pure sophistry! Is the same as "BS"? My guess is yes and you hit the nail on the head with your overall post. Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the grocery store chain app example, wouldn't having their app available on the PC be a plus for them? My family uses a synced OneNote list for our grocery list. Yes, mostly we access it from our Windows Phones, but each of us has, on occasion, enjoyed the convenience of accessing the list from our respective PCs to quickly add or to check on an item. Maybe grocery stores would want their app available on their customers PC to increase it's availability / convenience. A universal app would make sense for that.

I really don't know if grocery stores would think this was an advantage, by my family does.

Is there another example of a phone only app that wouldn't have any purpose if it was accessible on the PC?

Just wondering.

Starbucks. Nobody would order his or her drink from a desktop PC or Xbox. Mobile orders are ready in 3-9 minutes, so mobile orders would take place when one is in the same shopping plaza where Starbucks is located or parking his/her car, or walking to Starbucks from a bus stop.

Scanning the Starbucks card would only be done with a mobile phone.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Web apps (project westminister) are perfect for grocery chains :) as they can update their website with minimal work done to the app.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Web apps (project westminister) are perfect for grocery chains :) as they can update their website with minimal work done to the app.
The problem is that the web apps don't allow scanning of the loyalty card barcode, adding e-coupons directly to the rewards card, refilling prescriptions by taking a picture of the barcode. The website, even the desktop version, is pretty much useless.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone has been dead. It's been dead for years. However Microsoft will continue make phones because Microsoft never ever,ever, tried to dominate the market. Not in the past 16 years they haven't tried.

They just want to be in the market, and that's all.

It's just people in these places with high expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)