Is Windows Phone really dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

txo

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
It's all about universal apps primarily not continuum or surface phone. If they catch up there will be no reason for win phone death. And I slowly see rise of them. Garmin for example ignored win phone altogether and now they released uwp app..

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's all about universal apps primarily not continuum or surface phone. If they catch up there will be no reason for win phone death. And I slowly see rise of them. Garmin for example ignored win phone altogether and now they released uwp app..
Releasing an app is not the problem, it's that they maintain it. In the past we would often see companies finally release an app for Windows Phone only to see it languish. The success of UWP for me would be that apps are actively maintained not just released to say they have a presence on the Windows Universal App platform.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The 950 and xl aren't going to make any noise because they are only on one carrier and Microsoft selling them unlocked was a bad idea with no financing. Nobody is going to pay 700 for a phone with beta software and limited apps. Very dumb move on Microsofts part. They need more phones and manufacturers on the carriers and more developer support

It's definitely not dead as long as windows 10 pc is around

Sent from mTalk

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is safe to say it is dead...as we know it. The Surface phone if true has to run android apps because without apps, it will fail and developers are not going to make apps for a third ecosystem no matter who makes it. I'm not sure how that would work as MS would have to have the play store on its phones or run a forked version of android like Amazon. Its kinda confusing to me but that's whats gotta happen.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
To my view, Paul Thurrott isn't more averse to click-bait than any other tech journalist. He'd much rather court controversy than be respected for journalistic integrity. But that's just my view.

I tend to respect Mary Jo Foley more. In her analysis of the revenue report, she states in part:

Source: Microsoft continues its pivot to being all about cloud services | ZDNet

Yes, it's tempting and fun to jab at Microsoft at every opportunity, but I don't see the need to join in, I don't see the need to throw my Windows Phone in the trash because the internet told me to.

Oh of course, anyone who writes something you agree with is an unbiased and balanced writer, people who writes things you don't agree with are biased click-bait writers. Makes perfect sense.

Antonht

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I dont think the future windows phone will run android apps. I would like to have more of these standard apps that people take for granted, but people should have more patience.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In North America, it certainly seems that way.

Back when 920 and 1020 first launched, MS had a pretty big ad campaign on TV and online.

Now, it seems that they are barely advertising their phones.

And here in Canada, not a single carrier is carrying the 950 and 950XL. They can only be had from MS store in Canada. Back in 2013, all Canadian carriers had 920 and 1020.

Nevertheless, I do not see MS dropping Windows Mobile any time soon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry

Yes. I keep reading what does Microsoft need to do. Market. I bought a 920 when they came out and there was a big marketing campaign. At that point wp was growing fast. That was the last time Microsoft seemed interested in selling phones. The surface is doing well but there is alot of marketing behind that devise. Until Microsoft actually acts like they want to sell phones it's all about wp being dead.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Releasing an app is not the problem, it's that they maintain it. In the past we would often see companies finally release an app for Windows Phone only to see it languish. The success of UWP for me would be that apps are actively maintained not just released to say they have a presence on the Windows Universal App platform.
Which is the reason for the aggressive W10 push. If every W10 device is a potential user of your app, there is an incentive to maintain a universal app for a wide customer base. The phones get the benefit. MS is letting WP do whatever it does, but will try or not try to resurrect the phone later if/when they get apps. Problem is, a lot of popular phone apps don't really make sense on tablets or desktops. So, universals apps wont get everything, but if they can shift the momentum significantly, it might be enough to give WP a chance again. It will be a year or so before we know.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I keep reading what does Microsoft need to do. Market. I bought a 920 when they came out and there was a big marketing campaign. At that point wp was growing fast. That was the last time Microsoft seemed interested in selling phones. The surface is doing well but there is alot of marketing behind that devise. Until Microsoft actually acts like they want to sell phones it's all about wp being dead.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
They are taking a break on marketing right now. Its money down the toilet without apps. If they get apps, they marketing push will happen again.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is dead. Windows 10 Mobile is not a direct replacement for WP, as it is not intended to compete against iOS and Android, but exists as extension of Windows 10. So while Microsoft has created a new mobile OS, and ported it to some WP8 devices, and even an Android device, W10M is no more important than Microsoft's Android and iOS development team, hence the frequent use of the term "Fans" when MS discusses W10M. At best Window Phone is a zombie. It still walks eats, but its definitely not alive. Its not just Tom Warren saying it, Paul Thurrott, the writers at WMPoweruser, and now even Dan Rubino.

Ruufus

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My friends are impressed with my 950XL but are so unfamiliar with the different interface they are uncomfortable. My iPhone friends are fine with their wall garden of a static look and feel because they have a gazillion different photocollage apps. My Android friends bearly use the flexibility of their UX basically changing their background but it has enough of apps.

Nonetheless, I love my 950XL despite its not quite 100% working OS. I enjoy the quirks usually cause I know the it happens on other OS's such as the random start. I emjoy the amazing camera and the tight integration with the overall Windows experience.

Microsoft missed the opportunity to highlight how their UX, built-in core apps, and unique hardware made the complete hardware and software experience in Windows a DISTINGUISHING, NEEDED AND DESIRED one. Essentially Windows Phone just another option for most who just want a solid phone and a useful set of core apps. We fans see beneath the hood and the strategy but most don't and don't care.

Remember that Microsoft is a services and subscription company at heart: Office 365, Windows 10, Groove, Xbox Live, Cortana, One Drive, Live.com account, etc. They are OK with the delivering platform being iOS, Apple OS, Android, etc. That's why alot of great MS app developement has shifted toward iOS and Android versions first and better.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It is dead, almost. If Microsoft is still working on W10M, it's for the WM fans. WM, unlike BlackBerry, has millions of die hard fans, who won't be able to digest the termination of WM. BlackBerry's end was comparatively silent and it went almost unnoticed. But it's not the case with WM. For now at least WM won't see the buffer stop.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I wish they hadn't cancelled Astoria. It would have made all the difference, even just being able to sideload would have changed things tremendously. It was the stopgap we needed.

At the end of the day, if im stuck on an old phone running a dying platform with nary an app update in sight... being able to sideload a more recent android app and eek out a little extra functionality would have made all the difference.

AirdanWP

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It's dead. MS releasing new APPs for IOS, and updating them more than the W10 version, the OS is not really polished doesn't feell it will be anytime soon, . I'm considering buying an iPhone and using Cortana, MS Keyboard and Outlook on it lol

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh of course, anyone who writes something you agree with is an unbiased and balanced writer, people who writes things you don't agree with are biased click-bait writers. Makes perfect sense.

Hence the importance of making your own mind up based on what you read and not be led by sensationalistic journalism. You can take your point of view, I can take mine. I'm just not going to push my point of view to excess. I just point it out here in a vain attempt at a balanced point of view.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
It's dead. I don't know how someone can argue otherwise, honestly. But, they do...and that's fine: We're all only making predictions based on opinion mixed with some facts. But, as the evidence mounts, it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend the "it's alive" argument.

I wrote a post quite a while back stating that companies never just suddenly bail on product like this. There's always an organized retreat to protect the share price and skittish investors. That's what we continue to see here.

My prediction: The current crop of Windows Phones (available and announced) are the last hardware we'll see. The Surface Phone will not happen. Mobile may continue on in some form (tablets etc), but it won't be available on phone hardware.

We'll see....

Last edited:

ahadzivasilev

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
It's not dead. But this is definitely a bad time for anyone to get into WP. I have a L630 and I got my mom and dad a 435 and 535, which being their first smartphones are more than they need. And I don't think I'll upgrade them to W10M until I consider it stable enough. As far as I'm concerned, I'll probably need to buy a new phone this summer, but I'm not really sure I will stick to Microsoft. If they (or a partner of theirs) release a good midrange phone and W10M is stable enough for daily use, considering I am a student and rely heavily on my phone to get me through the day, I might just go with another Windows phone. If not, I will most likely get a second hand iPhone (a 6, or even 5s will do the job I need), because I have no intentions of going back to Android. So, to sum up, it's not dead, but if Microsoft don't come up with something in the next year or so, it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99