Redstone Pushed Back "2017" is where the revolution starts. Will the wait be worth it?

Damian Powell1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has Pushed back its major Redstone Update to 2017. I believe that Microsoft has some big devices and software in the pipeline to start a major shake up in the mobile industry and what we now classify as base and mobile computing.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Nothing can get me back to a Windows Phone but Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop at home are growing on me. I am concerned now with this delay will the laptop that I ordered yesterday be able to handle it when it is pushed to my computers.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Nothing can get me back to a Windows Phone but Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop at home are growing on me. I am concerned now with this delay will the laptop that I ordered yesterday be able to handle it when it is pushed to my computers.

Redstone is just an update to win 10. Do you think they will alienate millions? Oh, as a footnote, windows phone is dead. Windows 10 Mobile is, quite literally, a different beast.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft has Pushed back its major Redstone Update to 2017. I believe that Microsoft has some big devices and software in the pipeline to start a major shake up in the mobile industry and what we now classify as base and mobile computing.

Sorry, not likely.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

That's what they said about Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

And look what happened.

If Window 10 Mobile gets bigger, it will be gradual.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
That's what they said about Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

And look what happened.

If Window 10 Mobile gets bigger, it will be gradual.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Well said. Hopefully UWP will grow with more apps. There is nothing Microsoft can do to push Windows 10 Mobile.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Is there a link to a news article about this, or any other reason a thinking person should believe this? I am disinclined to put credence in unsubstantiated rambling.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
We don't have a non insider version of wp10 yet. It's frustrating. To hear Redstone 2 has been pushed back makes me weep for an official wp10 build.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Redstone itself is not just a singular large update, just like Threshold (TH1 and TH2) was - it's a collective of multiple of updates.

In my opinion Redstone 1 is the anniversary update, Red Stone 2 will hit insiders shortly after then general public around Q3/4 2016 - Q1 2017 and so on.

There are rumours of a Redstone 3 but they are just rumours.

Microsoft of course can choose change the timeline as after all under the WaaS model there is no fixed deadline (in the traditional sense).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We don't have a non insider version of wp10 yet. It's frustrating. To hear Redstone 2 has been pushed back makes me weep for an official wp10 build.

I have W10M on my 1520 and it has never​ been on Insider. Official W10M exists and is in the field with many users. The current version is 10586.218. Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official

The first Redstone Official is expected this year. It will be the "Anniversary" update, just as TechFreak1 said.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have W10M on my 1520 and it has never​ been on Insider. Official W10M exists and is in the field with many users. The current version is 10586.218. Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official

The first Redstone Official is expected this year. It will be the "Anniversary" update, just as TechFreak1 said.

I have 10586.242 but I used the third ring of the wp insider app. It's insider preview version. How do I get the non insider version?? Is it 100% stable?? Is your version good??

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have 10586.242 but I used the third ring of the wp insider app. It's insider preview version. How do I get the non insider version?? Is it 100% stable?? Is your version good??

Threshold is as far as you are going to go with a non-supported device. Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

10586.242 is what is on the Release Ring. I have that on my 640...10586.218 is Production build. I have that on my 1520. The only difference between the two is some patches. I don't notice any difference between the two versions., but I'm not using the 640 daily right now. Both of them seem stable to me.

10586.306 is rumored to be coming soon and it is also rumored that it will get pushed on Patch Tuesday (May 10) to Production devices. Again, this would just be fixes not new features.

You can't revert one small increment backwards. You would have to use WDRT to go to 8.1 and then get on Insider again. Not worth it unless you want the hassle of doing it.

At this point, if I had a non-supported device, I would get out of Insider since it is now pointless fro your device. Do a software method Reset (Settings > System > About > Reset your phone).

Now you could choose no backup for a chance at the smoothest possible experience or try it with backup. The fact that you say your device isn't doing well on Threshold would seem to indicate a manual setup might help.

Stay off Insider. It won't get you anything. Any Threshold updates will come to you via WaaS anyway.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Threshold is as far as you are going to go with a non-supported device. Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

10586.242 is what is on the Release Ring. I have that on my 640...10586.218 is Production build. I have that on my 1520. The only difference between the two is some patches. I don't notice any difference between the two versions., but I'm not using the 640 daily right now. Both of them seem stable to me.

10586.306 is rumored to be coming soon and it is also rumored that it will get pushed on Patch Tuesday (May 10) to Production devices. Again, this would just be fixes not new features.

You can't revert one small increment backwards. You would have to use WDRT to go to 8.1 and then get on Insider again. Not worth it unless you want the hassle of doing it.

At this point, if I had a non-supported device, I would get out of Insider since it is now pointless fro your device. Do a software method Reset (Settings > System > About > Reset your phone).

Now you could choose no backup for a chance at the smoothest possible experience or try it with backup. The fact that you say your device isn't doing well on Threshold would seem to indicate a manual setup might help.

Stay off Insider. It won't get you anything. Any Threshold updates will come to you via WaaS anyway.

But my phone is listed as an eligible device its the 640XL.

So in order for me to get on your build I'd have to downgrade back to 8.1 then download insider chose production and then your build gets installed?

What if I downgraded back to 8.1 and installed the upgrade advisor app would I be able to get the official wp10 through that also?

Just want the official build as I am very curious to see if there is any difference at all.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But my phone is listed as an eligible device its the 640XL.

So in order for me to get on your build I'd have to downgrade back to 8.1 then download insider chose production and then your build gets installed?

What if I downgraded back to 8.1 and installed the upgrade advisor app would I be able to get the official wp10 through that also?

Just want the official build as I am very curious to see if there is any difference at all.

So... Exit Insider by choosing Production, then WDRT to 8.1... Install Upgrade Advisor and it will take you to 10586.107 and you can OTA to 10586.218 from there.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oops sorry about that I thought I changed it how do I do that?

Settings > Edit Profile

Capture01.png

What would be the best way to upgrade?
Insider or Upgrade advisor? Sorry again :)

Upgrade Adviser

So...
1) Exit Insider by choosing Production, then 2) WDRT to 8.1... 3) Install Upgrade Adviser and it will take you to 10586.107 and you can OTA to 10586.218 from there.

I'd still do a Reset after Upgrade and no restore from backup to give your device the best chance.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much RoumoredNow for the tip i am doing this now and my profile is updated. thanks again see you soon with a non insider of wp10 fingers crossed.

thanks again ?ire

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
...and then probably next Tuesday, you'll get back to the build you were on before doing all this because that will be the new production build, and feel like you wasted a bunch of time for nothing.

My advice would have been to move to the Production ring and sit tight, especially if you're not experiencing any particular issues other than "it's the preview version"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12