Microsoft Besting Apple?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What really chaps my bums is when peeps use Windows computer, MacBook, and Android smartphone and expects everything to work and sync everything seamlessly. Ain't gonna happen. If it does, it's a ***** to manage and work with. MS is making great strides with OneDrive though. DropBox, Box, Mega...all great solutions also.

OK, so I guess this means I "chap your bum". Throw in iPads and Android tablets as well. And yes, they all work together, and seamlessly I might add. I'll wager it is a much more complete and hassle-free system than those using Microsoft-only, "complete" being the main distinction here.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
OK, so I guess this means I "chap your bum". Throw in iPads and Android tablets as well. And yes, they all work together, and seamlessly I might add. I'll wager it is a much more complete and hassle-free system than those using Microsoft-only, "complete" being the main distinction here.

This. I guess my sister will do that to Midnight too. She isn't interested in an iPhone but enjoys her Macbook and her old Galaxy S3. I also have friends who are just like my sister with an Android phone, iPad and Windows computer.

Sorry, even if I had a Windows 10 Mobile phone, that doesn't mean that I should upgrade my laptop to Windows 10. It's not really a huge deal, people use what they want. Even on WP 8.1, I wasn't all in, it just happened that way.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Apple has 18% of market share in mobile and 8% of market share in PCs.
In both markets Apple dominates the high-end segment and takes almost all the profits.

Most people buys Android and Windows devices because they can't afford Apple products.
Not true at all.
I can afford to go buy a new IPhone 6s, ipad pro, ipad 9.7pro, all the trimmings the 10k watch right now if I want. I just don't like it.

I have no desire to buy apple products, and purchase Microsoft products because I want to, not because I cannot afford apple products. Maybe I will sell one of my watches and buy a new house!

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
"My iPhone freezes, reboots, and apps crash(even more so) than on my 950xl. "

That is complete BS or you are so used to a crappy, crashing OS that you don't even know your device has a software or hardware issue.
I have an iPhone 6S+, Galaxy S7, and a WP. (not on windows 10) and None of them crash and reboot or freeze on a weekly or even Monthly.
I have had ONE random reboot on my WP, and Once on an android device (LG G3- old phone I used to have).
My iPhone never freezes, apps don't crash, and has NEVER rebooted on its own a single time in the last 6 months.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
"My iPhone freezes, reboots, and apps crash(even more so) than on my 950xl. "

That is complete BS or you are so used to a crappy, crashing OS that you don't even know your device has a software or hardware issue.
I have an iPhone 6S+, Galaxy S7, and a WP. (not on windows 10) and None of them crash and reboot or freeze on a weekly or even Monthly.
I have had ONE random reboot on my WP, and Once on an android device (LG G3- old phone I used to have).
My iPhone never freezes, apps don't crash, and has NEVER rebooted on its own a single time in the last 6 months.
Report: iOS 9.3 Hyperlink Bug Crashes Apps | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

So if you create a calendar event in a Macbook on OSX Calendar and a new contact in OSX address book, it auto syncs to your Windows 10 desktop computer and Android phone, and vice versa in Windows People/contacts and Calendar app? That is news to me. Last I checked OSX address book and Calendar only syncs via iCloud, which would be a 3rd party app on Windows. And it does not work well either.

What about the files and photos you create and take? Do those auto sync to all 3 ecosystems devices?

How would your general public 70 year old grandmother manage all that themselves?

It's nice that we can all do it because know how, but for the general public it's a nightmare using different ecosystem devices.

EDIT: what I'm saying is using the same ecosystem devices works very well together. But different ecosystem devices poses a problem for most peeps.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So if you create a calendar event in a Macbook on OSX Calendar and a new contact in OSX address book, it auto syncs to your Windows 10 desktop computer and Android phone, and vice versa in Windows People/contacts and Calendar app? That is news to me. Last I checked OSX address book and Calendar only syncs via iCloud, which would be a 3rd party app on Windows. And it does not work well either.

What about the files and photos you create and take? Do those auto sync to all 3 ecosystems devices?

How would your general public 70 year old grandmother manage all that themselves?

It's nice that we can all do it because know how, but for the general public it's a nightmare using different ecosystem devices.

EDIT: what I'm saying is using the same ecosystem devices works very well together. But different ecosystem devices poses a problem for most peeps.

I primarily use Google's services for personal use. Android and iOS obviously have apps. Computers have browsers. All calendar events are done in calendar.google.com on the PC and Macbook, and of course with the apps on mobile. My Macbook even has a desktop notification for Google calendar events.

I have Google Drive installed and it syncs to its local folder on the computers. All files sync to that. Photos are set to back up automatically when taken, and they also sync to their own folder in the local Google Drive folder.

I guess you could say I use one ecosystem, with 3 different companies' platforms. A 70 year old Grandma could easily set that up. Setting it up takes little more time than it took for me to write this!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It all depends on what programs/apps people use. I use Windows and Android devices (no iOS/OS X). However, I don't use People/Contacts/Calendar. I use Outlook (the desktop client on my PCs and the app on my Android devices). Outlook manages all of my accounts (outlook.com, Gmail, 2 others).

OneDrive syncs photos on Windows and Android devices. Google Photos works in a browser on desktop Windows as well as the Android app. So my photos are backed up to 2 different cloud services (OneDrive and Google Photos).

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
What Apple has reallized is that customers are, somewhat ironically, less likely to complain about a product with a high price tag. Less complaining gives a better perception. It also helps that Apple very very rarely completely drops the ball, like Ms / Nokia have done repeatedly.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
What Apple has reallized is that customers are, somewhat ironically, less likely to complain about a product with a high price tag. Less complaining gives a better perception. It also helps that Apple very very rarely completely drops the ball, like Ms / Nokia have done repeatedly.
They drop the ball frequently. They just don't get the bad press because they are the darling of tech writers.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, I think most people miss the point he wanted to make in the first place. He was saying that people randomly pick up an windows phone, while most of their stuff is on iCloud and complain that things just don't work on Windows. Replace the phone with a PC or a tablet and the problem will still be the same. Although I have seen a feature in Windows 10 now to even sync with iCloud. So even those problems are a thing os past.
I think the biggest reason for windows dismal performance is that most Android and Apple users don't even know what windows phone is all about. they have never even tried it and won't be doing so unless they start using it on their PCs and over the course of time realize that the phone is also pretty much the same.

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think HoloLens is an amazing product. Looks cool, lets say $599 at retail as a guess. Should sell OK.

Option 2: Licence it to Apple, very importantly- paint it silver and add the Apple logo. Charge $1,999 and watch it become the next biggest thing to sweep the world. The lemmings and hipsters will be tripping over themselves to buy 2 each, camping out for weeks in advance to be the first to own one of Apples new world leading inventions.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Android has 85% of the mobile market Apple 15% so you are wrong in your statement "Apple contains the largest percentage of the mobile market while Android and Windows Phone follow behind it."

While you are correct that Android does have more of the market, in many areas in the US you will run into few Android users. Here in the city where I live, I'd guesstimate that 85% or more of the people I keep close contact with use iPhones. And many of them assume that everyone else does too.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I think Microsoft overall is a better company, and does more for its customers. That said, Microsoft is still playing catchup on the mobile front, and on the branding and name recognition. Microsoft has a bad reputation in some regions, and their software is widely considered to be bug-ridden and unsecure. Microsoft is doing good things, but they need to step up quality at release, and their branding efforts. The MS brand will have to be repaired before they can compete toe-to-toe with Apple.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I assure you the US is not a good example of the phone population. Over 80% of the world runs Android. That is a fact. I use both Android and Windows phones but have nothing against Apple. I no longer even notice what brand of phone a person uses. They pretty much all do the same thing.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft overall is a better company, and does more for its customers. That said, Microsoft is still playing catchup on the mobile front, and on the branding and name recognition. Microsoft has a bad reputation in some regions, and their software is widely considered to be bug-ridden and unsecure. Microsoft is doing good things, but they need to step up quality at release, and their branding efforts. The MS brand will have to be repaired before they can compete toe-to-toe with Apple.

They also need to speed up release times as well. The "coming soon" mantra Microsoft uses, has to stop. And if they make a down right promise to their fans and users, then they better keep it. Been burnt twice by them now on phone. That really has to stop. The windows 10 on phones debacle has soured a lot of users into going elsewhere. NOT something you want to do when trying to reel in your users again.

I am in it for the long haul, but I am sure that I won't be buying an older phone with the promise of upgrades and updates. This is MS cycle 3 for that now. I do still have my 1020 on w10 and its awesome, but I am waiting for awhile to see what comes down the pipe this year. I may pony up on a 950xl. Even though its to big for my liking.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What Apple has reallized is that customers are, somewhat ironically, less likely to complain about a product with a high price tag.

This is a very valid point. For one thing, a higher price tag increases our perception of an item's quality, regardless of reality (to a point). Also, if I spend a lot of money, or time, or effort, on a product, and then later decide it wasn't worth it, that is a criticism of my own judgement. These things may happen subconsciously, but yet they are real.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
If you care about fashion you will likely have an iphone I mean look at their watch bands, they are all about fashion, so many different types it's insane.

Maybe some think Apple is "fashionable"; but the watch wasn't really received that well by the fashion world:

Apple's watch hasn't impressed the fashion world | Reuters

I think most who like or work in fashion choose the iPhone for the same reasons others do-the app environment, the camera, the brand recognition and prestige when it comes to mobile. Some modeling agencies used to put pressure on models to share via Instagram and other social media (haven't heard as much about that lately) the iPhone has always been on top of that.