What Are Your Plans for WP?

Maidere

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm jumping the Android train and don't have any solid plans for WP. I'll keep my eye on this eco-system and if the stars will align (more and better apps, solid OS and great hardware) I might return eventually.
Also I should take into acount MS's attitude and trustworthiness regarding WP. They broke their promisses way too many times.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
My L830 came out of the gate shortchanged and 20ish months later we?re still sucking the hind wienie, due for a W10M upgrade but now that the onus is put onto the carriers it?ll be guess and by golly if it ever materializes for ?all?. Time is of the essence and nobody can tell me this won?t play a role as to whether many carriers even bother especially on a device nearing the 2 year mark, and of course MS will be relieved of blame as it?s ?the carriers fault?, yeah OK.

The carrier 'thing' isn't always an excuse. I've been the victim, along with many others, of carrier blocking. When I toyed with droid, my carrier left my device hanging whilst everyone got shiny new stuff.

If carrier blocking is just an excuse for an OS developer to give up, why is XDA so popular? Why do certain OEM's release a device and then region lock them, effectively barring certain parts of the world from updates? One of the reason carriers behave in this way, is they would rather you trade up. They have no interest, or benefit, in users sticking with the same device. They want to sign you into another contract for another couple of years, with a new device. If you just take an airtime agreement and keep you old device, they are losing big time.

Why would an OS developer spend time, and money, on devices that can't be taken any further along the development road? Why would they release to a device, that testing by users, shows issues.

As said before, it isn't ideal, but it's life. The original W10M release statement did say depending on carriers and 'other' factors

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The carrier 'thing' isn't always an excuse. I've been the victim, along with many others, of carrier blocking. When I toyed with droid, my carrier left my device hanging whilst everyone got shiny new stuff.

You are right but IMO the fate of WM updates/upgrades has already been determined by past and present history and not the fact that now the carriers have been given the opportunity to do so yet may chose not to, hence, "their fault".

When you look at the state of WP, a) the majority of windows phones are nearing or are 2 years or older, b) carriers offering WPs in North America is basically nil (L735 on Verizon). I see little that would entice many to invest or even bother supporting a platform that has slid under the radar, too much instability, inconsistencies and indecisiveness that only the diehards are willing participants as it stands now.

priorplace

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm probably one of the very few people to do this recently, but I got rid of my Samsung S6 Edge and picked up a Lumia 950. I'm pleased with it so far, but I would be even more pleased if MS released a Surface Phone that would sit nicely along side my Surface Book. For now, I'll sight tight with my 950 to see what happens next year.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
About a month ago I ditched my 630 and bought 640 XL, I really like it so far but I will most probably go for Surface phone which will hopefully come out next year, if my budget will allow me to (I would have gone for the 950 and 950 XL but I'm a bit low on budget). I never thought of leaving from day one I got my first Windows Phone, the 630.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
As of April 17th I hesitantly put aside my three WPs and went all-in w/Android, wanted to continue on the WP bandwagon but just couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yes there is Windows Insider that could have helped keep some of the spark alive but at what point does one decide “ok, now I want a smartphone that can be just that w/o the constant tinkering and resets in hopes of achieving satisfactory daily usage”. WM worked yet always made me wanting more, not because of greed but more so just being able to have a bit of parity with the other platforms, was far from happening for me.

So I could have gone out and bought a 950 series which IMO hasn’t shown its worth and is already 6ish months old, the 650 may be the newest of the bunch but how long does one think it will stand up to the test-of-time, highly doubt very long considering the low specs. Other than the option to purchase from MS I see WP vanishing at a rapid pace via carriers and retailers alike, doesn’t make the platform a very enticing proposition to invest in the way I see it.

In the end my plans are “there are no plans” as we have moved on, “soon” just wasn’t soon enough for this former user.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium