The Surface Phone?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I'd also say the average consumer doesn't want Win32 software on his phone...or a Windows-based phone, for that matter. Most people who want this have the half-brain necessary to not run around to notavirus.scam and get a phone hijacked, I think. As for general performance, we've seen laptops released with junky Celerons and Atom chips for years.

But the goal must be to make the average consumer want a Windows Phone, and be able to successfully use one. If we disagree on what the goal is, then we obviously won't agree on what the best approach is.

I'd also say that one category of devices performing like crap doesn't excuse another category of devices from performing like crap. It's exactly this type of thing that gives Windows its poor reputation. If the Windows brand is ever to become successful, and Windows Mobile along with it, then this sort of thing needs to stop. MS needs to take responsibility for the experience of each Windows based device, and not just blame the OEMs, who will sell anything to make a buck, while tarnishing the Windows brand in the process.

Another year of Intel advancements could make that useful.

As already mentioned, there will always be a smaller category of devices just on the horizon, where the experience of running Win32 software locally falls on its face.

I'm thinking more repackaged through Centennial, not something where we have the Windows desktop thrown on. I want the software, not the UI.

I don't understand what you're getting at here.You can't have Win32 desktop software without the Win32 desktop environment which hosts that type of software.

TeamViewer on my phone is much less friendly than on a desktop. Think to how controlling the mouse and having something built for a landscape display outputs in portrait. I do it all the time on my phone, and it's not the best experience. It's a fundamentally flawed setup

I agree. That's a totally flawed setup, which is why nobody is talking about that sort of setup. If you are regularly using TeamViewer on your phone's display, without a keyboard and mouse, and over a cellular network, then your problem is not that a remote desktop setup sucks, but that what you are doing sucks. Nobody is advocating that this sort of thing will ever work well, because you're not using the right tool for the task (I admit you might not have a choice, but that's another issue).

That's precisely why MS expects people using desktop software to do so using a large screen, which is why Continuum exists. MS also expects a keyboard and mouse to be available, and as I already mentioned, I don't think it's wrong to also expect WiFi to be available in that sort of environment. I think you're creating artificial restrictions that don't matter in practice, or at least shouldn't when used correctly.

I think saying what MS "could provide" without any proof of it is really difficult to support, so it's not really worth discussing until we see it in action.

I don't use TeamViewer, but I do use MS' remote desktop app, and I don't see the latency issues you mention. I wouldn't consider that proof of anything, but it's at least a start.

If they sell high-end phones, they can.

You're saying that MS should subsidize the service by selling overpriced phones. That might work if MS was Apple, but considering that 80% of the phones MS sells are the lowest-end models, I doubt that's viable. It's also unfair to those people who want a high-end phone but not the service.

Anyway, I think we could go back and forth like this forever. Like I said, it was intended as a starting point to develop your own ideas; not as a detailed technical description of how it would work, which is way beyond what we can reasonably discuss on a forum.

Norris Rochelle

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re:

I can't say I agree with much of anything here. W10M is still a mess with getting software, and I find the new design of pop-out menus to be a drastic step back from its predecessor's pivots and gesture-based navigation. The OS launched as a hack job, and it's still pretty much that.Thinking about what the Surface Phone could be, I'm not as excited as I was. That Atom is dead is a problem. Maybe Core m can shrink and be its replacement, but an ARM-based Surface Phone doesn't move the needle much for me, unless they have a newer Continuum device that can run x86 software. On ARM, it's just a Lumia with a metal body, and probably a light-colored one I find unattractive at that.It's been so long since this platform took a step in the right direction with hardware that I'm just going to spend the next year waiting, in the hopes Microsoft finally foes what it hasn't in the 2 years since it bought Nokia--release a phone with high-end specs that doesn't have bad aesthetics (something that every Lumia after the 1520 struggled with) or build quality issues.
Honestly Windows 10 Mobile is far from a mess lol. A lot of people who complain are the main ones using the fast ring updates. Using the Windows 10 Mobile software that was designed for released is smooth and snappy. The best part about this is we're still getting new features through Windows Insiders updates. As for your dislike towards the new pop out interface, we all dislike some things but I feel it's necessary because it's a part of the Universal experience. I noticed that a lot of people here automatically determine a phones worth by looking at its specs. People have to understand that there's more to a phone than being able to run x86 software. The OS is light enough for 1GB of RAM and works perfectly fine on dual and quad core devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Honestly Windows 10 Mobile is far from a mess lol.

I think the crashing market share we've witnessed since W10M's release suggests it's at least a bit of a mess.

Technically, W10M is the worst performing and least stable version of MS' mobile OS since WP7. I just spent a week in Mallorca and had to deal with a constantly crashing and almost unusable maps app. And no, I'm not on the insider preview, and yes, my L830 was hard reset after the last update. I ended up leaving the phone in the Hotel and using my wife's L640 running WP8.1. Far better...

As for your dislike towards the new pop out interface, we all dislike some things but I feel it's necessary because it's a part of the Universal experience.

You only feel that way if you lack the engineering creativity to envision a superior solution.

There is no technical requirement to sacrifice usability on large or small displays just to make everything look similar. In some areas (see Office ribbon on mobile devices), the small UI is composited completely differently from the large UI (while staying stylistically and behaviourally identical), and that's great. MS just needed far more of that!

Anyway, the real reason W10M's UI changed conceptually has little to do with the UWP and almost everything to do with Islandwood and Xamarin.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
An aside thought if I may. As stated here we are looking at a 12 to 18 month window of "waiting" for the next MS offering. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have a decent WM OS running on a lot of phones and we have the 950 and 950 XL as SOA hardware.

I believe that CDMA bands are built into the 950 and 950 XL. They just weren't "turned on" in the beginning. Turn them on and add many Verizon and Sprint users (USA) that now only have the 735 to use. That's not a high end device for sure. A good device, yes but not what the high end users are interested in.

I'm not tech savvy to know if turning on CDMA bands are feasible but if so, wouldn't this offer a bridge to software and hardware OEM's to continue to have a reason to stay with Windows Phone development?

I have (on Verizon) at present a htc M8 Windows phone and a Nexus 6. The m8 is limited somewhat app wise so when I need more power an apps I go to the Nexus 6. I just purchased a new 950 XL (knowing it would not work on CDMA carrier) just to stay up to date with the latest WM updates and upgrades. I'm going to sell the M8 and use the Nexus 6 as my DD. I'm going to keep the 950 XL to keep my fingers in WM. Now, if the CDMA radios were activated, I would just pop my SIM card into the 950 XL and grin like a Cheser Cat.

I know this is pie in the sky but it made me feel so good to get it off my plate. Have a great day all.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Honestly Windows 10 Mobile is far from a mess lol. A lot of people who complain are the main ones using the fast ring updates. Using the Windows 10 Mobile software that was designed for released is smooth and snappy. The best part about this is we're still getting new features through Windows Insiders updates. As for your dislike towards the new pop out interface, we all dislike some things but I feel it's necessary because it's a part of the Universal experience. I noticed that a lot of people here automatically determine a phones worth by looking at its specs. People have to understand that there's more to a phone than being able to run x86 software. The OS is light enough for 1GB of RAM and works perfectly fine on dual and quad core devices.

That last sentence is pretty funny, given the one it follows. There's a LOT more to a CPU that number of cores. That's why the XB1 and PS4 are running junk hardware, despite the 8-core processors inside, and why the Snapdragon 820 is better than the 810, even though the 820 has half the cores. RAM isn't an end-all, be-all either, but it matters more than core count. Still, you basically called out people for being overly simplistic, then did the same thing.

The rest, it's a sweeping assumption of my point without actually finding it first. When I call the OS a mess, it's absolutely not because of my use of the Insider build. I could go back to production, and MLB's At-Bat app wouldn't show back up. double-tap to wake wouldn't be back. Artist art in the lockscreen would still be absent from Groove. Groove (and all of its suckitude) would still exist. The app bloating from splitting things (like Music+Video and Office) would still be there and bothersome.

Maybe don't assume my point, because you just swung over the top terribly and didn't actually discuss my concerns whatsoever. You are basically saying "stay off production, don't get features quickly, and don't complain about that," or "go to production, get features, but don't complain because it's not buggy." Even when that wasn't my point, it still comes off as defending any and all criticism simply because it's criticism.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Re:

This is the type of situation where "be careful what you wish for" is good advice.

I think most people looking forward to running Win32 desktop software directly on their phone would end up being very disappointed with the resulting user experience. Most will end up blaming MS for again releasing a half baked solution, while ignoring that their wish never had a chance of being anything more than a half baked solution in the first place. I don't think that's a good idea.

There is more than one way to skin a cat however.

If I were an executive at MS, this is what I'd do:

1)
Clearly communicate that running Win32 based desktop software directly on very small and resource constrained devices was always a bad idea that MS never supported. It was just something hyped by the tech press. Even when we eventually get to the point where we can run desktop software reasonably well on a high-end 5" smartphone, we must not forget that Continuum spans all form factors. That means there will always be some smaller form factor that is left out of that vision (4" phones, smart watches, IoT devices, clothing implants, etc), making this an incomplete solution (at best).

2)
Introduce a technology that allows consumers to very easily initiate a remote desktop connection to any other device registered on their MS account. If the device you're connecting to isn't already powered-on, it would be on-demand through your MS account. This would make any software installed on your tablet/laptop/desktop/server potentially accessible to any other W10(M) device, including your phone. This solves the problem you want solved (running Win32 based desktop software on a phone) while sidestepping all the drawbacks (uncontrollable battery drain, poor performance, not scaling to smaller devices, etc).

Last but not least, this setup works for any software (including CAD, video production, and most importantly, Crysis), and not just the select few that smartphones are currently able to cope with (banking and accounting... yawn), meaning it's a solution that can always work, as opposed to just some of the time.

3)
I imagine the technology would be based on some evolved/simplified/streamlined version of App-V. This would allow consumers to synchronize such evolved App-V instances to the cloud.

A synchronized App-V instance would make remote desktop access a highly available and reliable feature (it would work even if your kids unplug your computer at home, or if your home is susceptible to power outages), and also make it accessible to people who aren't comfortable letting MS turn on their computers automatically over the internet.

This would also be helpful for people who's phone is their sole computing device, as they'd be able to setup such a App-V instance directly through their MS account and not require a PC at all.

I imagine this could be offered for a few bucks a month per App-V instance, or be included in the Office 365 subscription.

4)
There are a ton of other things MS could do with a setup like this:package the whole thing as a Windows Server feature so corporations could offer the same capabilities for their own software on their own networks for their private corporate user accounts.

• Allow users to contribute their computing resources to the App-V network, which MS would use to run other people's App-V instances (nothing would ever get installed on your machine), which would in turn allow you to access your own hosted App-V instances for an equal amount of time for free.
  • etc

I see two problems:

-Internet reliability: internet is not everywhere, there will be latence and disconnections.
-No advantages over iOS and Android: this solution can be used on every mobile device, is not exclusive to windows mobile and Microsoft would lose the potential advantage represented by millions of win32 programs.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Internet reliability: internet is not everywhere, there will be latence and disconnections.
As I already stated, MS isn't expecting you to use Continuum, or any other desktop like functionality (like a remote desktop connection) from your phone without a large monitor and a mouse + keyboard! That is how Win32 applications were designed to work, and it's how UWP apps when projected onto a >8" display are designed to work. MS simply expects that infrastructure to be available when doing that sort of thing.

Why is it then not obvious that the "internet not being everywhere" is an irrelevant argument. You won't find a big monitor with a mouse + keyboard in the middle of the desert either. Wherever you can find that type of infrastructure, it's definitely not to much to expect WiFi or a 4G cellular connection to also be available. I don't quite see why this is such a popular misconception.

Furthermore, Win32 software is typically quite heavy and complex, so in a lot of scenarios having a remote PC do the heavy lifting and just transferring the visual results via MS' lightweight RDP protocol will end up being the more efficient solution anyway. Having Win32 software run directly on your phone will pretty much always be a crappy user experience (insane battery drain, security issues, and most people will hate the idea of introducing the maintenance and driver issues we know from our PC's to our phones). It could very well turn out to be a recipe for disaster, rather than the savior some Windows enthusiasts here think it may be.

No advantages over iOS and Android: this solution can be used on every mobile device, is not exclusive to windows mobile and Microsoft would lose the potential advantage represented by millions of win32 programs.

Ehm... I'd argue that this is a very good thing! At least that way MS can keep more people grounded with one foot in the Windows world.

MS considers Win32 legacy technology. They aren't putting much effort into it anymore, and for consumer focused stuff they are putting in absolutely no effort at all. In short, I don't think this legacy area is the place to really push forward. It's not what MS is focusing on, nor should they.

The place to push for advantages is the UWP. Ultimately, MS wants every Win32 application to be ported to UWP. If you want to run desktop software on your phone, MS doesn't want you looking towards Win32 or remote desktop applications. MS wants you to have a desktop UWP app at your disposal. That's MS position! Everything else is just plan-B. Getting Win32 software to run directly on your phone is a plan-A type of proposition however. That's what MS would do if Win32 was their strategic focus. It just isn't.

MS is far better off letting the types of computers that were built to run Win32 software run it. That's why RDP is the better solution, as it doesn't bring software that knows or cares nothing about the restrictions of mobile devices to phones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786