The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-25-2018 04:52 PM
216 1234 ...
tools
    Yes, this isn't really surprising to me. Why have a Lumia and a surface line? Lumia is the leftover of Nokia.
    Well, some companies have a consumer/cheaper lineup and one for powerusers/professionals.

Like Palm Tungsten vs. Zire handhelds.
    Lenovo IdeaPad and ThinkPad.
    Samsung Galaxy A and S for example.

Although I can't see Microsoft going ham with Lumia again if a Surface phone is in town.
    05-20-2016 06:03 PM
    Ive been browsing the internet and Ive seen tons of articles about how Microsoft is getting rid of Windows Phone and how Windows Phone is dead. This is one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever seen on the internet. Apparently people think Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone because of the recent business deal involving the Nokia name being sold. We have constant OS updates, tons of features and bug fixes, new phones, apps and much more to look at so how could Windows Phone be dead? With Microsoft rolling out so many Universal apps and features the only way for you to think Windows Phone is dead is if you didn't actually have a Windows Phone lol. If you haven't already heard one of the recent features Microsoft is working on in addition to its already superior Windows Hello, is the fingerprint scanning technology. Microsoft specifically said that Windows Phone wasn't its main focus this year giving it plenty of room to become something better than it already is. Maybe Microsoft is shifting the focus from Windows Phone to focus on the mobile OS and what the phone needs before it goes full speed. We know that Microsoft is going to continue improving Windows Phone because not already did they just release more Windows Phones made for W10 Mobile, but we also have other manufacturers shipping Windows Phones with Windows 10 Mobile already on the device. I believe Microsoft is holding off on Phones and hardware until they fine tune the OS so they don't face hardware problems or for other reasons. How do you feel about Windows Phone being dead? Is it dead to you? Let me know!
    05-23-2016 06:46 AM
    I agree with you.

But people are just fixated on market share and sales figures.
    05-23-2016 07:16 AM
    I think you have a few details messed up there. Allow me to correct them.

MS never owned the name Nokia. They had use of it for a bit but they stopped using it pretty much as soon as possible.

Nokia has remained it's own company, which is fairly large and hasn't sold it's name, only licensed it.

MS just recently killed off the Lumia name, which is understandable since they want to start making MS phones and not have any relation to Nokia any more since Nokia is returning to the mobile sphere. Nokia is making phones again via a 3rd party. Hence the licensing of the name.

As for Windows Phone being dead, well yes Windows Phone is dead, Windows 10 Mobile is the correct name.

MS has a mountain to climb. To suggest otherwise is to not realise that. They have less than 1% market share currently. Yes they are doing 'great' things, but so is everyone else.

I jumped off Windows Phone simply because it wasn't doing what I wanted. I don't hate it but doesn't mean I'm rushing back any time soon. Doesn't mean I won't be back but currently I'm not interested in being a beta tester for the W10 experiment. I have enough grief with my laptops and other kit with W10 that the last thing I want is the same with a phone.

That's my point of view.

As for it being dead, well it all depends doesn't it but W10M is part of W10 so technically how can it be dead?
    05-23-2016 07:17 AM
    I would tell you windows phone is dead and abandoned not windows 10 mobile.
    05-23-2016 07:34 AM
    yeah its not dead but its not alive, its living like a ghost for another year.
    jumping from windows phone to android or ios was a normal reaction to Microsoft actions they saw them building better apps for android and ios while windows phone getting ignored they switched.
    05-23-2016 08:07 AM
    hmm if it continues as a ghost for the rest of the year i wonder if it will remain around till 2017. :|
    05-23-2016 08:16 AM
    That's the 3rd time a 3ad identical like that is opened, after moderators closed the others due to looping discussion... -_-
    05-23-2016 08:22 AM
    The news itself is pretty confusing. I've been trying to decipher the whole thing since it was announced last week and still don't understand what that means for the future of MS and phones other than Windows 10 mobile is not dead. As I understand it, MS won't be making Lumia phones anymore. That's it. W10m is still being supported, updated, whether it's for OEMs or current Lumias. The fact that they recently allowed it to be used on 7 inch devices means there's probably going to be W10m small tablets soon enough. Add the never ending rumours of Surface phone and you understand why they dropped the Lumia name. But as far as we know now, the OS itself does has a future.
    Last edited by dlalonde; 05-23-2016 at 09:06 AM.
    libra89 and TgeekB like this.
    05-23-2016 08:30 AM
    I think Windows Phone will do just fine. With the upcoming Surface phone, you know it's happening, and the release of Redstone in June it will bring a lot to the table. My Lumia 950 is my first ever Windows phone coming from Android and I can say that I miss nothing from Android. Not to mention that the device, OS and interface seem far more responsive. I for one see a bright future for WP and am glad I made the switch.
    dlalonde and Player Piano like this.
    05-23-2016 08:31 AM
    This is true, but these split product lines where done from positions of leadership, ie; the Samsung Galaxy was already the top selling android handset, beating out the droid before they released two models.
    05-23-2016 09:40 AM
    I personally don't care what the label says on the phone itself. I just want a high end phone that runs WM 10 to the fullest. If the upcoming HP phone is the first to offer me what I want; fine. If MS prefers not to make hardware, only phone software, fine. Just please make it work. That was the drawing card to WM7 and WM 8; it just worked.
    05-23-2016 10:46 AM
    I think Windows Phone will do just fine. With the upcoming Surface phone, you know it's happening, and the release of Redstone in June it will bring a lot to the table. My Lumia 950 is my first ever Windows phone coming from Android and I can say that I miss nothing from Android. Not to mention that the device, OS and interface seem far more responsive. I for one see a bright future for WP and am glad I made the switch.
    I see with the introduction of the Surface phone not helping their mobile market. What it would do is to pull users away from their existing Nokia/Lumia line. By redefining their "phones" to the Surface brand, which is doing pretty well, I would say that the Windows phone in the Nokia/Lumia aspect is dead. But the thing is that Surface is really a 2-in-1 PC, unless Microsoft totally changes their "phones," the app gap is still going to be there.
    05-23-2016 12:40 PM
    The real problem is the have disappointedly so many people, so many times very few have any faith in them at all. I gave up about 2 months and went to Android. Its not like I (and millions of others) did not give them a chance. 820, 925, 520, 635, 640 and a Dell tablet. No more. I still have a 640 in a drawer somewhere. I DO NOT believe it will ever get W10 despite what Microsoft says. Oh yea its coming soon. Went by 3 Cricket stores on the way home yesterday and they all said they cant give away the 650. They have already lowered the price twice. Never again.
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    05-23-2016 06:32 PM
    If you will notice most of the moderators have moved on to something else also.
    05-23-2016 06:36 PM
    So much harmful rubbish is being spouted on the internet which surely must have an inpact on future phone sales?

I wish MS would come out and put all of this to bed finally and tell us what direction they are heading. I'm concerned about it and i'm holdingt off upgrading my phone.
    05-23-2016 09:14 PM
    So much harmful rubbish is being spouted on the internet which surely must have an inpact on future phone sales?
    I doubt most smartphone buyers even see those articles frankly.
    05-23-2016 09:41 PM
    Many of the moderator actions are difficult to perform using Edge or IE on Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone 8.1.

Firefox, Chrome, or Safari on mobile devices make moderating much easier.

Of course, if we're using desktop/notebook computers, it doesn't matter if we use PC, Mac, or Linux.
    05-23-2016 09:52 PM
    It's sad to see people still supporting Microsoft's Windows 10 mobile NOW. Microsoft has pretty much given up on it. I am on Android now, I am/was a HUGE fan of Windows Phone, starting WAY back from a HPC 1.0 and every version till they made a phone combo back in PocketPC 5.0...and about 6 different Windows Phone devices. I even still have a HP HX4705 (rated as one of the BEST WM PDA's ever made at a release cost of $699).

Now we see Windows Mobile shares down to 1% on a few reporting sites. What is Microsoft doing about this ? Are we seeing any ads ? Are we seeing ANY major push from Microsoft devs ? Are we seeing NEW apps coming ? How about new phones, even low end phones ?

Sad to say, about the answer to all those questions are Nothing and NO... Also to note, When I talk about Ads or Promotion, when I watch TV, I cant go an hour with out seeing a Android (Samsung, LG, etc) or Apple add....Microsoft ? Maybe a Surface every once and a blue moon but, Windows PHone ? Yea right..

I really love Windows Phone/Windows Mobile, I love the OS, the layout, the feel of the OS even down to the live tiles. When I have been waiting FOREVER to get basics like other phones have, like Tap TO PAY, how about a Bank of America app ? Hmmm...

The love is there but, the time is starting to feel like it's over... I still have my ICON with all color backs that I still swap to time to time.

The wrighting is really starting to show on the wall..

I wish MS would come out and put all of this to bed finally and tell us what direction they are heading. I'm concerned about it and i'm holdingt off upgrading my phone.
    They did, they are not focusing on Mobile this year... The head of mobile devices for Microsoft said that...
    05-23-2016 10:00 PM
    The real problem is the have disappointedly so many people, so many times very few have any faith in them at all. I gave up about 2 months and went to Android. Its not like I (and millions of others) did not give them a chance. 820, 925, 520, 635, 640 and a Dell tablet. No more. I still have a 640 in a drawer somewhere. I DO NOT believe it will ever get W10 despite what Microsoft says. Oh yea its coming soon. Went by 3 Cricket stores on the way home yesterday and they all said they cant give away the 650. They have already lowered the price twice. Never again.
    I totally get what you're saying. I bought a Lumia 640 in April because I thought W10M would be great... and it's just not. It's good but I'm missing Android which worked lightyears better. It's buggy software and it's unacceptable and frankly amateurish from such a big company like Microsoft. If they want to drop it, just drop it. Stop saying "it's coming, it's coming, soon, not yet, later, this year, next year...". The way they've been acting is just disrespectful. Yes you'll get an update! No you won't! It's coming in the fall, no december, no next year, no you're not getting it, it's finally out, you'll have to get the insider app though... what a bloody mess.

The whole 950/950Xl debacle which is still not up to par with comparable priced phones on other platforms even avec 6 months! They were selling buggy software 6 months ago and now they're selling not so buggy but unfinished software.

The Chevy and the Ford are the same price. Oh but the Chevy looks really nice! The suspension's missing? Mmm, well I can still use it until it arrives. Sometimes it overheats? That's alright, I'll just stop on the side of the road and shut it down and wait for it to cool down. It sometimes slows down when you're driving on the highway? Well that's alright, safety first!

This is how ridiculous we are as fans. We like it so much we're making excuses and we keep throwing money to Microsoft.

I noticed that too.

I doubt most smartphone buyers even see those articles frankly.
    Well not the buyers. But the carriers and their employees. If I was a carrier and had to put money in a new smartphone, you can be certain I wouldn't risk W10m devices.
    Tsarli and Greg Wenzler like this.
    05-24-2016 07:08 AM
    I agree with you.

But people are just fixated on market share and sales figures.
    that's the crux of the matter. Sales figures matter to many
    05-24-2016 07:23 AM
    Anyone who dismisses marketshare is lying to themselves. Just look at the Surface Pro and how it's success has led to others jumping into that sector and now its allegedly the fastest growing PC sector. Microsoft themselves are chasing 1 billion users, why? To attract developers to the store. So phone marketshare is important too as it attracts developers and OEMs, the top ones too not the B listers like Coship.

So yes, marketshare is vitally important to the phone whether you want to deceive yourself otherwise or not b
    05-24-2016 09:54 AM
    Not exactly.
    A couple certainly not most.
    05-24-2016 12:25 PM
    Went by 3 Cricket stores on the way home yesterday and they all said they cant give away the 650. They have already lowered the price twice. Never again.
    That to me there says that as far as the consumer is concerned, Windows Phone/Mobile *is* dead. I went by the one in our mall the other day to check out the 650 and they had no Windows Phone/Mobile on display. Granted it was more of a stand than a store but they used to have at least one Windows Phone on display before. I even remember my wife going into a Cricket Store a while back for her mother and she said they saw her Windows Phone saying that customers would often return them. It will be interesting to see if the Alcatel Windows Phone at T-Mobile is replaced by another Windows Phone when it reaches it EOL.
    05-24-2016 03:27 PM
    From 2.5% share in 1st qtr 2015 to .7% share in 1st qtr 2016.

Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Grew 3.9 Percent in First Quarter of 2016
    Bloobed likes this.
    05-24-2016 03:45 PM
216 1234 ...