02-25-2018 05:52 PM
216 ... 56789
tools
    I hate to tell you about the stacks of software i have that wont run on 8.1/10. I keep a XP computer just because of that. Even though i have a W10 unit and one with 8.1 on it. I wish i still had a W98 system as i have a lot of stuff that needs it to run on. I bet there are a lot of people in the same situation. Piles of software with no place to run it.
    and the software developers never created newer versions that could run on a higher version of windows?
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    06-08-2016 11:29 AM
    It is sad that MS which is the dominant platform in the world of computing is not doing anything worthwhile in the world of mobile phones. There is the failure to develop an eco-system that would have connected the phones with the laptops and the mobile devices. It is sad considering MS has been responsible for the explosion of the internet while Apple has not ventured beyond the world of consumers.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-04-2016 09:24 AM
    so any news when is the surface phone launching, would it be next april or this fall?
    08-04-2016 01:02 PM
    Hope they release the future hardware devices to more markets. It's quite irritating to go to one of the so few Microsoft stores here in our country and ask for a Surface tablet and they'll tell you that the Surface family won't be available here
    08-05-2016 12:57 AM
    so any news when is the surface phone launching, would it be next april or this fall?
    WindowsCentral and a lot of wannabe tech sites report that it is supposed to come together with Redstone 2 update, scheduled for Spring 2017.
    08-05-2016 04:10 AM
    we live in an iPhone world lol
    08-05-2016 10:32 AM
    Seems like the mobile analyst Tomi Ahonen maybe have predicted the outcome correct. He wrote on his blog that Nadella will fire Stephen Elop, then winding down the phone business. And shut it down completly probably in 2017.

He get the Elop part correct. And no more Lumias are in production,they only sell those who are remain in stock.

With so small userbase its only a matter of time before some like WhatsApp or another company stop supporting the platform.
    08-07-2016 11:38 PM
    Their smartphone business is not yet over, and actually (even being a big fan of the Lumia line) I think it is the best to end this generation and create from scratch a new one, a new line. *looking at you Surface Phone*
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    08-12-2016 05:38 PM
    I see a lot of people referencing the mythical Surface Phone, but no one seems to ask the question, what problems does it solve? Does it solve the "need" for a premium device? Wasn't that the job of the 950/950XL? Does it solve WP/W10Mobile's biggest problem, which is apps? No. Is it supposed to spur developer interest? All I see happening is this becoming another device that gets great reviews, but no one buys(or keeps for very long) because they can't play/try the hot, new app of the month.
    08-14-2016 02:53 PM
    Yeah the main attraction a Surface phone would have would be the ability to run Win32 apps. If it's just another Arm device then it's just another Windows Phone, it sadly doesn't matter how good it is.

So that leaves some kind of phone which likely transforms into a PC perhaps a hybrid Arm/x86 system with shared storage but x86 CPU/GPU in dock connecting via Thunderbolt 3 than allows you to run Win32 apps but when in Phone mode it can only run UWP touch apps.

The dock approach would be ideal as it could be used an upgrade system so your "PC" isn't left obsolete, even do a games focused version as proper AAA games is one of the few things Windows has going for it and something iOS/Android covet but cannot replicate yet.

Also loosen up the Windows Store, support more ports of Win32 apps, the large semi-hostile to MS PC user base still see the Win store as a mobile garbage dump, until proper apps start filling in it's ranks like AutoCAD, WinRAR, Refect Backup, Steam, Malware-Bytes etc no-one is going to take it seriously.

If it's just an Intel Atom in a phone running Win10 with no means of expansion then it's got no chance outside of a few business customers.
    08-15-2016 05:54 AM
    I really think that if the rumoured surface phone come in October 2016, Microsoft may have a chance in regaining their market share in the mobile industry.
    FXi2 likes this.
    08-20-2016 12:31 AM
    I really think that if the rumored surface phone come in October 2016, Microsoft may have a chance in regaining their market share in the mobile industry.
    Sorry my friend that's a pipe dream.
    If there is a road back it's a very long one :(
    08-20-2016 12:54 AM
    i know a lot of people working for microsoft and when you bring the w10p, they just roll their eyes, no one other then the higher ups in the hierarchy thinks they can survive the current down trend for windows phone worldwide
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-20-2016 12:55 AM
    no one other then the higher ups in the hierarchy thinks they can survive the current down trend for windows phone worldwide
    You would think the higher ups ... especially the folks in charge of shareholder interests would want to go more in the direction of profits for the company.
    Hypothetically my millions as a shareholder wouldn't like the Windows Mobile bottom line.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-20-2016 01:13 AM
    I really think that if the rumoured surface phone come in October 2016, Microsoft may have a chance in regaining their market share in the mobile industry.
    There is this thinking that because the current Surface devices are doing well this automatically means a Surface Phone is also going to do well, but are forgetting one thing. When you buy a Surface Pro, you were never disadvantaged compared to a user of a regular windows laptop/tablet ie you have access to all the same apps. When the Surface Phone comes out (assuming it does though no reason to suppose it won't) it will still have the app disadvantage compared to Android and iOS. Sure it may gain some traction but it will be almost exclusively with existing enthusiasts. The rest of the Smartphone public are still not going to be interested.

We can only hope that with UWA it eventually does start to gain momentum and if it does, Microsoft doesn't suddenly decide to change direction yet again halting any progress.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-20-2016 11:14 AM
    I don't think Windows Phone is dead, but I think the question we should ask ourselves is, whether MS should murder Windows phone.
    08-20-2016 06:49 PM
    we live in an iPhone world lol
    It looks that when when Msoft Garage make Word flow only for Iphone.....However Android is huge also. I wouldn't buy a Lumia now though, with the rumours.
    Microsoft looks set to "end sales" of Lumia phones this December, director mentions Surface Phone
    09-09-2016 07:45 AM
    good news
    09-14-2016 01:24 AM
    I read a few articles (on Flipboard) tonight put out by the gadget press reporting that the HP x3 may be the LAST Windows Phone in a very long time or worse, ever. The articles stated that the Surface phone will be pushed out to late 2017 but possibly to 2018. If this is true I will certainly jump ship to Android. If the above reports are true this will upset many Windows Phone fans. We shall see.
    10-07-2016 11:25 PM
    I read a few articles (on Flipboard) tonight put out by the gadget press reporting that the HP x3 may be the LAST Windows Phone in a very long time or worse, ever. The articles stated that the Surface phone will be pushed out to late 2017 but possibly to 2018. If this is true I will certainly jump ship to Android. If the above reports are true this will upset many Windows Phone fans. We shall see.
    The Foley article conveniently neglects any 3rd party OEMs. Sure, Lenovo bailed, but there are others out there.

In the US we are still waiting for the Alcatel Superphone (which launches on T-Mo and may get an unlocked variant) as well as Cerulean.
    libra89, fatclue_98 and Tom Snyder like this.
    10-09-2016 09:21 PM
    I gave the Lumia 950 my best shot, but for me, the various Windows 10 for Mobile updates breaking the device rather often was the last straw. I really wanted this device to make it, and to take back off, but constantly felt like every thing i would get, or wanted to get, wouldn't work with it. I made do up until last week, when i had enough of having to reboot it every day, or it would randomly reboot itself, in order to make and receive phone calls and text messages. So many factory resets, thinking after each update this was going to really take care of it and cement it back into competition, but the issues persisted. Sitting back in its box on my desk here at work, and i make do with a cheap alcatel android until my contract is up for new device in a few months, then i'll re-assess.

I really do hope Microsoft finds a way to fix this, but I actually think rushing a Surface Phone would put them in an even more dangerous position of damaging the Surface Brand. They need something that makes people want to come over without it being more work than reward. I really don't care for the 2 party world of Android or IOS but I also don't want a phone that doesn't work with 90% of the smart stuff out there. All seen alliance made me overly confident MS would be playing a bigger part with the connected home than they are.

Really hope things change.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-10-2016 02:52 PM
    Anyone got some new intel on this topic. It seems MS is just going to let the silicone catch up to Win 10 and run that as its new mobile OS?
    12-18-2016 06:12 AM
    I wish you Windows phone die hards the best but I have (after 12 windows phones) sailed my ship out of that harbor. Good luck to you.
    12-19-2016 02:05 PM
    It's undoubtedly Android and IPhone still leading today's market for next 5 to 10 years.
    12-28-2016 07:19 AM
    Good ,Microsoft had launched his Smartphones in market but if Microsoft gives to customer best features rather then also launched mid budget smartphones then Microsoft have future in Mobile.
    Mark Teller likes this.
    12-29-2016 02:01 AM
216 ... 56789