News: Microsoft's future in mobile?

anon(8032808)

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
---This may seem more like complaining. I had hopes for Lumia(or affordable windows 10 mobile?) and now it seems that there might not be any more Lumia---
I am using a Lumia 640 XL from the last 2 months running production build of windows 10. I have used fast ring insider builds for 3 weeks and switched back to production build. Prior to this, I used the first generation Moto G for a little over 2 years and that phone still works fine (I am not a gamer and I use my phone for emails, messaging, a few apps, maps and web browsing). And before that, I used a Sony Xperia Ray phone for almost a year.

So I have used Android almost for over 3 years and have been using windows for the last 2 months. The reason I switched to a Lumia was windows 10 OS and UWP apps. I had high hopes for windows 10 mobile though I miss a few things after switching to windows. For example, after I turn on my bluetooth, my Moto G automatically connects to my previously paired devices if they are available, where as in windows I have to manually connect.
Overall it appears to me that MS has given up on consumer space and I may have to switch back to Android.

My Bluetooth reconnects to anything after turning it back on. Might be a bug for you or the 640 XL line?

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't have that problem with my HTC One M8 running Win10 mobile...just have to wait up to a minute sometimes for it to connect to the car's Bluetooth.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My Bluetooth reconnects to anything after turning it back on. Might be a bug for you or the 640 XL line?

No bug here.....640xl win10 and it auto connects to Headphones, Keyboard,Pen.

As soon as I turn anything on that was connected prior it just connects with out me having to do anything.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
What someone wants and needs are subject to stubbornness, people are stubborn regardless of their stance on anything. Some won't reset their devices until you tell them that yields the best results. I used to act the same way, now it's just compulsory to reset my Android/Windows hardware.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I swear..... Can someone show me a mobile OS that doesn't have bugs?

You are absolutely right, every OS has bugs but it depends on how those bugs play a role in affecting the daily usage of one’s device, going back to the late 80s I’m hard pressed to find any OS I’ve used first hand that created so much havoc as W10M has.

I don't know where the complaints are coming from. Oh WAIT!! Could it be complaints from people running a beta on a device not meant to run it? Hrmmm.

My 830 received its W10M upgrade via my carrier and is far from stellar, very disjointed compared to W8.1, don’t remember seeing “beta” stated anywhere for this upgrade and do believe MS included my device in the list of WPs “meant” to run it.

None of this is "news", it's "news" to the easily scared.

I think it has more to do with WP users being pissed off than being scared. MS has taken us on an unwieldy journey with the inception of W10M, which leaves many wondering as to whether they’ll be the ones getting laid off next, in other words, after many put their heart and soul into this ecosystem will they be left kicking the curb holding a redundant platform?

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What someone wants and needs are subject to stubbornness, people are stubborn regardless of their stance on anything. Some won't reset their devices until you tell them that yields the best results. I used to act the same way, now it's just compulsory to reset my Android/Windows hardware.

No platform in my experience has ever required so much due diligence in attempts to hopefully gain uniformity and satisfactory results, those resets that seem to be a prerequisite for W10M have become asinine IMO and just shows how poorly the OS has been implemented.

Own/owned many an Android devices and can count on one hand the amount of times a reset of any kind was required to achieve stability, ditto for IOS… The majority of the people I know own one or the other and rarely is it a commonality there either.

Last edited:

cribbcaleb

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
What is even more disturbing is the state of the lumia 950 line on wm10.
I may just have a dud, but my 950 is less than stellar.
Fails to hold charge, hell fails to charge period sometimes (no matter the charger)
Reboots on it's own roughly a dozen times a day and about a half dozen times a day it simply just shuts off on it's own.
I brought it to MSFT's attention and then wanted to send me a refurb of only the phone. Nothing would be done about battery OR quick charger.

I fired up my 1020, and the good ol' days resumed. SIMPLY WORKS...

The sad part is I have grown accustom to the form factor and interface and I want my 950 back in action.

Auggybendoggy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Makes sense to me Gregory. Feature phone is simply a dumb phone. MS, as far as I can see, still can design and simply contract out mfg to someone else. Hell they could contract BLU to make them. Blu's done a great job as a small company. But I get why they have to let go of thousands of staffers. How do you justify the cost of all that labor when you're selling minimal tonnage?

thinkitthrough

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
What is even more disturbing is the state of the lumia 950 line on wm10.
I may just have a dud, but my 950 is less than stellar.
Fails to hold charge, hell fails to charge period sometimes (no matter the charger)
Reboots on it's own roughly a dozen times a day and about a half dozen times a day it simply just shuts off on it's own.
I brought it to MSFT's attention and then wanted to send me a refurb of only the phone. Nothing would be done about battery OR quick charger.

I fired up my 1020, and the good ol' days resumed. SIMPLY WORKS...

The sad part is I have grown accustom to the form factor and interface and I want my 950 back in action.

Sorry to hear you've had so many issues with your Lumia 950. My experience with my 950 has overall been very positive, and like you, I love the W10M interface, the perfect size of the 950, etc.

I only had a battery drain issue for a couple of days after one of the updates a few months ago, but shutting the phone off and back on again seemed to cure it, so that one was a fleeting annoyance that I've never had before that one update and never since. I've had only one self-reboot since I got my 950 in December. With my Android 4 phone, that POS rebooted itself a few times per week, for about the last year or more that I carried it, so I feel your pain there.

I suspect you got a lemon phone, and it's a real bummer that Microsoft isn't treating you as well as they should by replacing your dud with a brand new one.

Mark Eggleston

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
950XL kicks ***, and as soon as a cheaper phone comes out with Continuum, getting them for the whole office of 25. I'm dumping every Microsoft phone, laptop and tablet that isn't running Win10. That era is over. I'll buy Win10 phones, i7 laptops and Surface 4 tablets. No more desktops!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
so many lost jobs... but I'm always wondering, why the hell doesn't it happen to the skype guys too? in my opinion they should be getting the worst of it, at least lumia guys were trying its best even fixing what Microsoft couldn't with wp8 and adding more and more great features

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
One thing I wonder if people realise is the the people laid off were mostly working in the feature phone business? Or is that not the case?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One thing I wonder if people realise is the the people laid off were mostly working in the feature phone business? Or is that not the case?

Microsoft had departments pointing guns at each internally, can only imagine what they thought of the Nokia people and teams. The people let go will get jobs at startups in Finland and thrive, lots of amazing things happening their. Nokia will also be back in the mobile phone space and grow. The people let go are not working on any specific device as teams can work on anything, most likely a mixture of everything from management to cleaners and every one in-between. I guess the key design team have been retained however some probably wouldn't want to stay at MS seeing how their friends and countrymen have been treated.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm confident that many of the Microsoft layoff folks will land on their feet, or better.
Other companies, like Samsung, Apple, LG and others are always looking for great engineering and product design talent, particularly in mobile. And layoffs , unlike resignations, don't usually come with non compete agreements. At least, they wouldn't be enforceable in the case of a layoff.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I am done rooting for Microsoft's phones. I have wasted the last 6 years telling people how great they are and expecting MS to get their **** together. Now with that ****tard Satya Nadella in charge, under whose "stewardship" Windows Phone has fallen from its highest market success to under 1%, it' clear that Windows Phone will never, EVER be a major player.

I wish Ballmer had never left. But I'll tell you this much for sure: my next phone will be an iPhone. Microsoft has betrayed my trust enough times, and I've already started moving all of my business clients away from Windows Phone. A number inquired about the new 950 series, but I've had them move to iPhone. There is no point wasting another dollar on a product Microsoft is too incompetent and disinterested to do a good job on.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep buying and recommending Surface and Windows 10 PC's, but I'm actively moving all my clients to iPhone. I'm done wasting time on Microsoft's stupidity in the phone space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo