News: Microsoft's future in mobile?

AJohnJexy

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I really think that if the rumoured surface phone come in October 2016, Microsoft may have a chance in regaining their market share in the mobile industry.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
i know a lot of people working for microsoft and when you bring the w10p, they just roll their eyes, no one other then the higher ups in the hierarchy thinks they can survive the current down trend for windows phone worldwide

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
no one other then the higher ups in the hierarchy thinks they can survive the current down trend for windows phone worldwide

You would think the higher ups ... especially the folks in charge of shareholder interests would want to go more in the direction of profits for the company.
Hypothetically my millions as a shareholder wouldn't like the Windows Mobile bottom line.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I really think that if the rumoured surface phone come in October 2016, Microsoft may have a chance in regaining their market share in the mobile industry.

There is this thinking that because the current Surface devices are doing well this automatically means a Surface Phone is also going to do well, but are forgetting one thing. When you buy a Surface Pro, you were never disadvantaged compared to a user of a regular windows laptop/tablet ie you have access to all the same apps. When the Surface Phone comes out (assuming it does though no reason to suppose it won't) it will still have the app disadvantage compared to Android and iOS. Sure it may gain some traction but it will be almost exclusively with existing enthusiasts. The rest of the Smartphone public are still not going to be interested.

We can only hope that with UWA it eventually does start to gain momentum and if it does, Microsoft doesn't suddenly decide to change direction yet again halting any progress.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: WP Isn't Dead!

I don't think Windows Phone is dead, but I think the question we should ask ourselves is, whether MS should murder Windows phone.

Barstow15

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I read a few articles (on Flipboard) tonight put out by the gadget press reporting that the HP x3 may be the LAST Windows Phone in a very long time or worse, ever. The articles stated that the Surface phone will be pushed out to late 2017 but possibly to 2018. If this is true I will certainly jump ship to Android. If the above reports are true this will upset many Windows Phone fans. We shall see.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I read a few articles (on Flipboard) tonight put out by the gadget press reporting that the HP x3 may be the LAST Windows Phone in a very long time or worse, ever. The articles stated that the Surface phone will be pushed out to late 2017 but possibly to 2018. If this is true I will certainly jump ship to Android. If the above reports are true this will upset many Windows Phone fans. We shall see.

The Foley article conveniently neglects any 3rd party OEMs. Sure, Lenovo bailed, but there are others out there.

In the US we are still waiting for the Alcatel Superphone (which launches on T-Mo and may get an unlocked variant) as well as Cerulean.

revision78

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
I gave the Lumia 950 my best shot, but for me, the various Windows 10 for Mobile updates breaking the device rather often was the last straw. I really wanted this device to make it, and to take back off, but constantly felt like every thing i would get, or wanted to get, wouldn't work with it. I made do up until last week, when i had enough of having to reboot it every day, or it would randomly reboot itself, in order to make and receive phone calls and text messages. So many factory resets, thinking after each update this was going to really take care of it and cement it back into competition, but the issues persisted. Sitting back in its box on my desk here at work, and i make do with a cheap alcatel android until my contract is up for new device in a few months, then i'll re-assess.

I really do hope Microsoft finds a way to fix this, but I actually think rushing a Surface Phone would put them in an even more dangerous position of damaging the Surface Brand. They need something that makes people want to come over without it being more work than reward. I really don't care for the 2 party world of Android or IOS but I also don't want a phone that doesn't work with 90% of the smart stuff out there. All seen alliance made me overly confident MS would be playing a bigger part with the connected home than they are.

Really hope things change.

grob9642

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Anyone got some new intel on this topic. It seems MS is just going to let the silicone catch up to Win 10 and run that as its new mobile OS?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I wish you Windows phone die hards the best but I have (after 12 windows phones) sailed my ship out of that harbor. Good luck to you.

Justinjames1231

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Good ,Microsoft had launched his Smartphones in market but if Microsoft gives to customer best features rather then also launched mid budget smartphones then Microsoft have future in Mobile.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Their smartphone business is not yet over, and actually (even being a big fan of the Lumia line) I think it is the best to end this generation and create from scratch a new one, a new line. *looking at you Surface Phone*

I for one won't be able to afford one they should have low cost phones as well. Just like 99% of Android phones.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I for one won't be able to afford one they should have low cost phones as well. Just like 99% of Android phones.

I think there can be a happy medium. I don't think they should Support cheap phones that will tarnish the experience. They are catering to business, to begin with. They must be affordable yet meet the needs of the user. If those are successful and the prices are acceptable, the consumer will follow.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

sunnybyday

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think there can be a happy medium. I don't think they should Support cheap phones that will tarnish the experience. They are catering to business, to begin with. They must be affordable yet meet the needs of the user. If those are successful and the prices are acceptable, the consumer will follow.

The premium phone strategy is not too smart. Google has been trying that for years and they are still not able to give the iPhone a run for its money. Apps wouldn't come without marketshare and marketshare will never come without phones like Lumia 640. MS and Nadella dropped the ball on this one, what old Nokia was trying was the right way to go about it, slowly but steadily they would have climbed up. Guess shareholders didn't have enough patience!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The premium phone strategy is not too smart. Google has been trying that for years and they are still not able to give the iPhone a run for its money. Apps wouldn't come without marketshare and marketshare will never come without phones like Lumia 640. MS and Nadella dropped the ball on this one, what old Nokia was trying was the right way to go about it, slowly but steadily they would have climbed up. Guess shareholders didn't have enough patience!
Google is not focusing on business. It's completely different. Let's see what they do and how it works before we declare it a failure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte