What is actually a Surface Phone? Mary Jo Foley believes ...

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Aargh! I sincerely hope not. Personally, I find anything bigger than about 5 inches too big for a phone, and anything smaller than about 11-13 inches too small for any sort of productivity. I suppose there is an argument that most people just want a screen big enough to watch You Tube, but I find anything smaller than a laptop screen doesn't get used if I have a laptop nearby. Also, when not using a phone I want a real keyboard I can type on all day long.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think that marketing a device for enterprise rather than consumers is a bad idea nowadays. The days of carrying 2 phones, 1 work-issued and 1 personal, are pretty much over. BlackBerry hasn't had any success by concentrating on the enterprise market.
^^This too^^ In fact, I believe even at Microsoft itself most phones in use are BYOD. Only at the very top and in some select businesses is there even the remotest thought of supplying phones to workers here in the USA, and when you do that the execs carrying company phones don't want to have to also carry their own iPhone in order to be able to use their bank, order coffee, or check their frequent flyer miles. I don't know a single person that uses a phone supplied by their company.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
^^This too^^ In fact, I believe even at Microsoft itself most phones in use are BYOD. Only at the very top and in some select businesses is there even the remotest thought of supplying phones to workers here in the USA, and when you do that the execs carrying company phones don't want to have to also carry their own iPhone in order to be able to use their bank, order coffee, or check their frequent flyer miles. I don't know a single person that uses a phone supplied by their company.

What else do they carry though? A laptop likely... right? So if this device can replace the laptop or some sort of extra productivity device that is required then having it with your private phone isn't a big deal. Especially if the device is pocketable. Think Surface Pocket. And since the company prefers to have all their phones more secure, reliable, they won't rely on a persons own device for cellular either. A lot of companies here still do blackberries for that reason. It's something that was always in place.

I posted some patents that are pending. But the hinge is the actual important part. The applications can be for combining 2 displays and other things. Ultimately POLED would be best. But a device that folds and unfolds like a wallet would be great and if it's dual screen the screens can transform to anything really. From a keyboard to a gamepad. Anyways, the patent is just for the hinge but still interesting as they mention the pairing of screens etc..

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
What else do they carry though? A laptop likely... right? So if this device can replace the laptop or some sort of extra productivity device that is required then having it with your private phone isn't a big deal. Especially if the device is pocketable.
This has been repeated over and over again. Continuum is an interesting concept for a very few people because no traveling business exec can ever count on there being an appropriate keyboard, mouse, and display to plug into. Businesses don't just leave keyboards, mice, and screens lieing around unused in every conference room and office--they purchase gear that will be utilized near 100% of the time. Sure, the gear might be there, might be working, etc. But, even if the gear exists, you will need the keyboard, screen, and mouse when you are in the airport, in the hotel, in a restaurant, etc. So, it will make no sense to have a complete PC in your pocket when you will still need to carry the full laptop anyway--just more junk to lug around--and the laptop will always be more powerful, quicker to set up, more versatile, and much, much cheaper to purchase and maintain. On my last business trip I carried a bag of spare cables, connectors, adaptors, power supplies, etc. that was bigger than my laptop because I know no matter where I go on business something will be missing or broken. Adding your Continuum crap to the pile of junk you need to carry will not be all that popular.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
This has been repeated over and over again. Continuum is an interesting concept for a very few people because no traveling business exec can ever count on there being an appropriate keyboard, mouse, and display to plug into. Businesses don't just leave keyboards, mice, and screens lieing around unused in every conference room and office--they purchase gear that will be utilized near 100% of the time. Sure, the gear might be there, might be working, etc. But, even if the gear exists, you will need the keyboard, screen, and mouse when you are in the airport, in the hotel, in a restaurant, etc. So, it will make no sense to have a complete PC in your pocket when you will still need to carry the full laptop anyway--just more junk to lug around--and the laptop will always be more powerful, quicker to set up, more versatile, and much, much cheaper to purchase and maintain. On my last business trip I carried a bag of spare cables, connectors, adaptors, power supplies, etc. that was bigger than my laptop because I know no matter where I go on business something will be missing or broken. Adding your Continuum crap to the pile of junk you need to carry will not be all that popular.

I totally agree.
What's more convenient: Toting around a slim, razor thin ultrabook on business trips?

Or carrying around your Continuum enabled Surface/Lumia/Whatever Microsoft phone, along with a satchel for a slew of cables, a keyboard, dongles, a mouse, and then you better hope that your hotel TV can accept an outside input HDMI source (many hotels have this disabled, as they only want you viewing their own provided streaming content services)?
If not, then also, better bring along a portable monitor.

Continuum is interesting tech, but its day to day usage scenario isn't there yet, likely years down the road when it won't be as dependent on peripherals.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Adding your Continuum crap to the pile of junk you need to carry will not be all that popular.

Thinking outside the box is what the mobile Pro should be doing.......Bluetooth, DNLA (wireless connections).

Streamline what you need to have on hand. Microsoft is hinting at a streaming stick, which makes Continuum more useful.

Even better since Windows 10, Budget devices are coming into their own...to go pro you don't need to break the bank.

My own case I now use an Acer W3, Microsoft Lumia 640 XL, Digital Pen and Bluetooth keyboard ( all in under the cost of a Lumia 950 ), With Luck should Ink come to Windows 10 for Mobile, and Alcatel release the Pixi 3 (8) I can then drop the 640 XL and W3 for 1 device and add a dock device.

IMG_0118.JPG

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My own case I now use an Acer W3, Microsoft Lumia 640 XL, Digital Pen and Bluetooth keyboard ( all in under the cost of a Lumia 950 ), With Luck should Ink come to Windows 10 for Mobile, and Alcatel release the Pixi 3 (8) I can then drop the 640 XL and W3 for 1 device and add a dock device.
I really don't see the gain in your setup over carrying a slim laptop that you just open up and boom you're working without having to pair devices, balance things etc. How do you use that setup on your lap on the bus or a train? What happens if you want to call someone while also using the computing power of your setup--that's a typical business scenario--on the phone while typing and using the PC.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has the right idea with the display dock, as a 7" or 8 " device can be of use while on the go. When back in the office just a click and you on a big screen, or connected to a projector, or what ever the use case needed is.

Now combine a Pen for the mobile use and even something like entry into excel can be done with ease, something that is not so easy on a 4"-5.5" device on the go.

I have no doubt Microsoft has a trick or two yet to come into play, much like the Surface Book was a total surprise ( no leaks that I was aware of ), all we have talked about and more could come out of a Panos design Surface Phone.

However what leads me to think 7" device is the tease of Inking Center that will come to Windows 10, I can see a 10 mobile version not long after the Surface and Tablets get it......and Ink on a 5.5 can be done but I see them placing focus on screen space.

Maybe, but I think a 7" would be a 100% surrender in the W10M space, really. It's just too big for an everyday phone, for most people. That's fine, if that's how they're trying to act. However, if they go that route, it means there isn't a piece of hardware for the masses to buy, and it means there really is no hope for real growth in that market. A 5.5" device would be able to be handheld. 7" is essentially asking you to carry a purse. There's no way I could fit a 7" device in my pocket, especially when I have to carry things other than it on my person.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I really don't see the gain in your setup over carrying a slim laptop that you just open up and boom you're working without having to pair devices, balance things etc. How do you use that setup on your lap on the bus or a train? What happens if you want to call someone while also using the computing power of your setup--that's a typical business scenario--on the phone while typing and using the PC.

I must admit I have yet to run into a need to work on the bus, but again I have had work on the tablet going, sms and whats app on the phone ( via keyboard for both ) and talking on the phone via wireless headphones all with out taking a device out of the keyboard.

Once paired the keyboard jumps effortlessly between devices by turning the wheel, as I can run 3 different devices at the same time....as long as bluetooth is on.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

But who says the device will need any of that stuff? That's where their time to innovate comes in. So say that patent hinge device has 2 screens. One turns into a mouse one into a keyboard. The pen may turn into a projector. Not saying that this will happen. But it's not like projectors in devices are anything new. MS knows the limitations of continuum. Heck, I use it daily to replace my PC. I only game on my PC. It still has huge software limitations too. Not being able to run more than 1 full screen app is annoying at times, definitely not productive. But that's the point, if MS really wants to push this to enterprise it has to be damn good. I like the idea of the HP elite because the laptop is nothing but pure battery and screen and it can charge your phone too. So you don't have to worry about popping cables out at an airport. You keep your phone in your pocket and just use the lighter laptop dock that doesn't generate a tremendous amount of heat like laptops and is much lighter with a longer lasting battery. That in itself is honestly better than a laptop and your own private phone. Here your business phone and everything related to your business is already on the laptop because it's just a dumb terminal. Only the phone has to be maintained. That's only if the Software solution becomes much better. I still think MS made a big boo-boo not releasing multi-windows for continuum for anniversary edition. HP is releasing their phone with anniversary and continuum hasn't gotten any focus. Sure it can support an xbox controller. I don't think a business associate would really care about that. But I think that in time things will be going more towards the dumb terminal area. Why pay for the extra cpu power if phones are getting more and more powerful. You're only paying for the different input/out method. There will be specialized stuff for gaming or more hardcore processing like art. But a lot of companies are focusing on smaller/faster/more efficient chips. RISC chips are exceeding the CISC chipsets now. Even in small form factor used in phones they will become better than the CISC equivalent as they have so much more room to grow and the CISC ones are just at a standstill with intel having so many issues.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
How do you use that setup on your lap on the bus or a train? What happens if you want to call someone while also using the computing power of your setup--that's a typical business scenario--on the phone while typing and using the PC.

Just because I was curious about the soft slot in the keyboard......I picked up the keyboard and tilted it forward....it holds both devices firm as I had it almost 90 degree from flat. The 640XL has gloss back and it did not slip. I then set it on my lap and it is very easy to type with and as the keyboard is close to the weight of a laptop it is very stable. I can use the Pen on the tablet as it is in my lap and it will not tip forward.

I know the old saying is ..."Pics or it didn't happen".....so how about video proof?

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
That's the Surface Book design if you look carefully. I don't think Microsoft is going to repeat that for the phones.

It's not. It's a new patent for a hinge. The hinge itself describes different setups such as multiple screen attachment and such. It's completely different than the surface book hinge.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not. It's a new patent for a hinge. The hinge itself describes different setups such as multiple screen attachment and such. It's completely different than the surface book hinge.
This looks to me again...exactly how the surface book has been implemented. It has the screen, memory and small battery in the tablet-part (here First portion) and the dedicated nVidia GPU and bigger battery in the keyboard dock (Second portion). Even the hinge looks the same. I guess they wanted to use this patented design for other devices including the current Surface Book.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This looks to me again...exactly how the surface book has been implemented. It has the screen, memory and small battery in the tablet-part (here First portion) and the dedicated nVidia GPU and bigger battery in the keyboard dock (Second portion). Even the hinge looks the same. I guess they wanted to use this patented design for other devices including the current Surface Book.

Nah the hinge is completely different.

Screen-Shot-2016-05-18-at-9.38.38-AM.png

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Might be the difference between a preparatory draft of the design and final production. The mechanics are super-similar and the patent would go toward function. You don't re-patent the same function every time you want to move it to a new device.

surfacebook-hinge_w_600.jpg

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Might be the difference between a preparatory draft of the design and final production. The mechanics are super-similar and the patent would go toward function. You don't re-patent the same function every time you want to move it to a new device.

View attachment 126872

It does look slightly similar. The patent is huge and goes into many different things but the part I find most fascinating is:

"the user may attach a first touchscreen as the first portion and a second touchscreen as second portion, and utilize the device like a book".

Seems they can make smaller and better versions of the hinges as there is a lot of different design examples. So a Surface Pocket would be pretty neat.

They also have a neat patent for a Smart Ring which lets you do crazy gestures for any devices.

One ring to own them all. :D

ring.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99