Is Microsoft changing Lumia design?

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinkig about purchasing Lumia 830. (I want decent camera for taking photos of natural details and there are phones with better than 10.7mp camera) I know it's 1 year and 8 months old but I really like old Lumia design.
Lumia 925, 1020, 830, 800, 735 were beautiful phones and x50 line is just... trying to look like regular android? In my opinion Microsoft is trying to get android user to it's side but they'll lose old WP users (just like me). I love Windows 10 but as designer I'll never buy "ugly" phone.
Lumia 950 XL looks a bit like Phablet version of 830 but something isn't okay... That aluminium, geometry... it just isn't like harmonical 925 design, it's not iconic 800/1020/730 design... 950xl is only acceptable but it's little bit expensive (i liked "affordable flagship" idea of 830).
So my question is: Should I buy Lumia 830 or wait for next wave of MS Phones and hope for nice phone with "old brave" design and big camera (like 1020/830/950XL)?
Thank You!

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, the Lumia 650 is a nice looking phone (8mp camera) and has a good looking screen.
What are your thoughts on it?
The only worry with the Lumia 830 is the fact that it is over a year old now, unless you can get it for a decent price.
As for waiting for a new MS phone, you may be waiting a while...

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Okay now I have reply bar (it wewn't there 2 mins ago)
Lumia x50 line looks too elegant for me with all that "glossy" parts of aluminium (all-matte aluminium on 830/930 was fine). In my opinion x50 have "business look" and i love that colorful-crazy design of older Lumias. Now I have Lumia 640 and I'd like to purchase better camera than 8mp. That's something I'm worrying about, next wave of phones that can be looooong time to wait...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Okay now I have reply bar (it wewn't there 2 mins ago)
Lumia x50 line looks too elegant for me with all that "glossy" parts of aluminium (all-matte aluminium on 830/930 was fine). In my opinion x50 have "business look" and i love that colorful-crazy design of older Lumias. Now I have Lumia 640 and I'd like to purchase better camera than 8mp. That's something I'm worrying about, next wave of phones that can be looooong time to wait...

You have a great point. The colors are gone unless you go Mozo. If you want a camera better than 8mp, you have no choice but to go with the 830. I have a feeling that the newer phones (which will probably come out NEXT year) will most likely follow a similar design language. Similar meaning black and white only.

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
You have a great point. The colors are gone unless you go Mozo. If you want a camera better than 8mp, you have no choice but to go with the 830. I have a feeling that the newer phones (which will probably come out NEXT year) will most likely follow a similar design language. Similar meaning black and white only.
Good to know, i probably cant wait ontil next year and hope but it's great to know i'm not alone who feel it same. Idea of colorful Lumias is just 2 years old... But color are just part of it, nokia has great design language, perfect to hold in hand (Lumia925/Lumia1320), camera was dominating on phone's back... It was symphony of shapes and these x50 phones are... regular/boring? So nobody of Windows 10 mobile users will not be able to say "I'm not like anybody else"

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too love the look of the 830. Mad respect for the camera. I had one with the matte black ring and it looked fantastic with the Green or Orange back and a clear snap on case.

LOVE my screaming Yellow 1520.3 and that remains my daily driver unless I'm testing Insider on my Green 640.

830 is worthwhile still, but if you have the $$$ look at 950/Xl and a Mozo Back.

950Xl will take great picks, is future proof and if I had one I would put this on it. Back cover for Lumia 950 XL (red) ? Mozo Accessories , but there are a lot of Mozo options Products ? Mozo Accessories

950 gets the same treatment from Mozo.

I think the upcoming Spring 2017 releases from Microsoft won't be so colorful...

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
It's heartbreaking to see how Microsoft has discarded the Nokia team and everything good that came along with the Nokia acquisition.

Nokia Lumia was single handedly responsible for the exciting couple of years that we had with Windows Phone. The phone designs were beautiful, and packed innovative features (display, camera, microphones, glance screen, double tap to wake, etc). Nokia drove further innovation on the software side of things (the various imaging apps, the first storage check app, helping bring developers to the Windows Phone platform).

Nokia was constantly held back due to Microsoft's slow progress with the OS (the Lumia 1020 is an example). When Microsoft acquired the Devices & Services division, it was supposed to herald "the dream team". Under Microsoft, the D&S group was supposed to have the resources be able to innovate more dramatically, taking advantage of synergy with Microsoft, helping to create the ultimate marriage of Windows Phone OS + hardware.

Remember the first year of Windows Phone 8 and Nokia's products. Lumia was constantly catching headlines, stirring positive discussion, making Android users cry out in jeliousy for Nokia hardware. Now, I can just imagine how Nokia's return to the mobile world is going to give us a bitter taste from that Android perspective circa 2012/13. Many say that the old Nokia is gone, but Nokia retained the R&D division, and even though they are not manufacturing the phones, I anticipate some truly brilliant devices will be arriving from Nokia through their new shell company.

I imagine that Nokia probably has a hate on for Microsoft for what MS did to the D&S division and the talented employees, but hopefully Nokia will look to service their Lumia customers by offering Windows 10 mobile devices in addition to the expected Android ones.

My fear is that Microsoft will continue with the dull, uninspired, generic 'iPhone' style design, while Nokia will come roaring back with Fabula Design language (Lumia 920 style). Hopefully Panos will pleasantly surprise us, but nothing will change the fact that the Nokia Lumia 920 and Nokia Lumia 1520 will continue to stand among the greatest mobile devices ever made.

I will proudly continue to use my Lumia 1520 as long as it continues to function. Such a brilliant device, yet to be equalled or surpassed (in my opinion).

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself. I came to WP because of the Nokia's colorful and sexy hardware and MS' brilliant Metro UI. Both were unique and extremely easy on the eyes. Now it's... sigh.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You should get it if it's what you want. I had one and I loved it, except for some issues I had (maybe just bad luck). The battery life was more than good (used to last me a whole day of VERY intense use, or almost 2 of moderate use. Not sure on how it performs now with W10M). Screen is decent (black levels and viewing angles were mostly just ok, but great colors and brightness level). Camera is awesome and has a dedicated button. You can put a SD card on it. The phone simply looks so sexy and is very slim. Any color you pick is good, even black and white really stand out thanks to its "bold" design. Indeed one of the best looking Lumias, if not phones, ever.

Tottee

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Myself isn't sure yet. Because I didn't heard any news about it. Actually Microsoft Lumia is a great device. Because of it's excellent and fantastic look. I have one of it which is used by my mother.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinkig about purchasing Lumia 830. (I want decent camera for taking photos of natural details and there are phones with better than 10.7mp camera) I know it's 1 year and 8 months old but I really like old Lumia design.
Lumia 925, 1020, 830, 800, 735 were beautiful phones and x50 line is just... trying to look like regular android? In my opinion Microsoft is trying to get android user to it's side but they'll lose old WP users (just like me). I love Windows 10 but as designer I'll never buy "ugly" phone.
Lumia 950 XL looks a bit like Phablet version of 830 but something isn't okay... That aluminium, geometry... it just isn't like harmonical 925 design, it's not iconic 800/1020/730 design... 950xl is only acceptable but it's little bit expensive (i liked "affordable flagship" idea of 830).
So my question is: Should I buy Lumia 830 or wait for next wave of MS Phones and hope for nice phone with "old brave" design and big camera (like 1020/830/950XL)?
Thank You!

Why not consider the upgrade to the 830, the 930?

TL;DR: Almost similar design, but with better internals and screen, and a bit more bulky to make it more hefty. Unfortunately it doesn't support expandable storage (SD card) and since the screen is FHD and internals are better, the battery life is a bit poorer as a result.

I'm an 830 user, and somehow I had wished I went with the 930. The 830 is not a bad phone, mind you. But going forward, the 930 can surely last longer than the 830 simply because it has better internals to cope with futuristic software advancement.

Also, the cameras on the 930 (both front and back) are way better than the 830, if snapping photos is really what you're after. Sadly, the 930 doesn't support expandable storage, and the 930 only has 32GB internal storage (should be lesser when you minus the storage used for system files). However, as an 830 user with expandable 32GB microSD card, I found that I actually don't really need that much storage space. I don't play games on my phone, so there's that, and most of the storage on my phone is occupied by my music files (about 4.54GB = 695 songs) and photos (about 1GB++).

Also the screen on the 930 is way better than the 830, and the extra heftiness of the device makes it a lot more pleasant to hold compared to the 830 (the 830 is too slim I guess. Using it while in bed makes me feel like the phone's about to slip off at any moment). Sadly the extra heftiness doesn't mean a better battery capacity. As most people have reported, the 930 have poor battery life thanks to the screen and the heavyweight internals. Also, the screen doesn't support double tap to wake (I didn't really needed this feature. I much prefer unlocking using the button).

So, yeah. I guess you should go for the 930 if possible. It is much better, and is more future-proof than the 830 (even now, the 930 supports slow-mo capture).

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Why not consider the upgrade to the 830, the 930?

TL;DR: Almost similar design, but with better internals and screen, and a bit more bulky to make it more hefty. Unfortunately it doesn't support expandable storage (SD card) and since the screen is FHD and internals are better, the battery life is a bit poorer as a result.

I'm an 830 user, and somehow I had wished I went with the 930. The 830 is not a bad phone, mind you. But going forward, the 930 can surely last longer than the 830 simply because it has better internals to cope with futuristic software advancement.

Also, the cameras on the 930 (both front and back) are way better than the 830, if snapping photos is really what you're after. Sadly, the 930 doesn't support expandable storage, and the 930 only has 32GB internal storage (should be lesser when you minus the storage used for system files). However, as an 830 user with expandable 32GB microSD card, I found that I actually don't really need that much storage space. I don't play games on my phone, so there's that, and most of the storage on my phone is occupied by my music files (about 4.54GB = 695 songs) and photos (about 1GB++).

Also the screen on the 930 is way better than the 830, and the extra heftiness of the device makes it a lot more pleasant to hold compared to the 830 (the 830 is too slim I guess. Using it while in bed makes me feel like the phone's about to slip off at any moment). Sadly the extra heftiness doesn't mean a better battery capacity. As most people have reported, the 930 have poor battery life thanks to the screen and the heavyweight internals. Also, the screen doesn't support double tap to wake (I didn't really needed this feature. I much prefer unlocking using the button).

So, yeah. I guess you should go for the 930 if possible. It is much better, and is more future-proof than the 830 (even now, the 930 supports slow-mo capture).

Oh, I know that processor used in 930 is better, but it doesn't have that brave design like 830... I like macros and details, so i don't know i I need 20mp, but why not? Battery life is big part of decition, but... is 830's display that bad? I heard something about grayish black... I didn't know about that 830 doesn't support double tap, but since W10M I'm not using it very often (in most cases it doesn't work even on slow ring). Main detail that 830 has and 930 hasn't is that circle around camera... Now I don't know which should I buy...

Last edited:

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
It's heartbreaking to see how Microsoft has discarded the Nokia team and everything good that came along with the Nokia acquisition.

Nokia Lumia was single handedly responsible for the exciting couple of years that we had with Windows Phone. The phone designs were beautiful, and packed innovative features (display, camera, microphones, glance screen, double tap to wake, etc). Nokia drove further innovation on the software side of things (the various imaging apps, the first storage check app, helping bring developers to the Windows Phone platform).

Nokia was constantly held back due to Microsoft's slow progress with the OS (the Lumia 1020 is an example). When Microsoft acquired the Devices & Services division, it was supposed to herald "the dream team". Under Microsoft, the D&S group was supposed to have the resources be able to innovate more dramatically, taking advantage of synergy with Microsoft, helping to create the ultimate marriage of Windows Phone OS + hardware.

Remember the first year of Windows Phone 8 and Nokia's products. Lumia was constantly catching headlines, stirring positive discussion, making Android users cry out in jeliousy for Nokia hardware. Now, I can just imagine how Nokia's return to the mobile world is going to give us a bitter taste from that Android perspective circa 2012/13. Many say that the old Nokia is gone, but Nokia retained the R&D division, and even though they are not manufacturing the phones, I anticipate some truly brilliant devices will be arriving from Nokia through their new shell company.

I imagine that Nokia probably has a hate on for Microsoft for what MS did to the D&S division and the talented employees, but hopefully Nokia will look to service their Lumia customers by offering Windows 10 mobile devices in addition to the expected Android ones.

My fear is that Microsoft will continue with the dull, uninspired, generic 'iPhone' style design, while Nokia will come roaring back with Fabula Design language (Lumia 920 style). Hopefully Panos will pleasantly surprise us, but nothing will change the fact that the Nokia Lumia 920 and Nokia Lumia 1520 will continue to stand among the greatest mobile devices ever made.

I will proudly continue to use my Lumia 1520 as long as it continues to function. Such a brilliant device, yet to be equalled or surpassed (in my opinion).

Great to know that even 1520 which is pretty old still works as your daily driver. I't great to know that I'm not alone who think that sexy age is gone...
If nokia will start making android phones with their original design (920/735; 925/1520; 1020/830) it will be realy hard to decide. I definitely don't want Android, but one day I'll need new phone and if Microsoft plans making these elegant iPhone like models I'll leave W10M... If Nokia will continue with it's sexy design, I'll hope someone will hack W10M bootloader or something and we'll see port of windows to android (I know that requires drivers & etc)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
All depends on preference. I thought the 830 to be ruined by that aluminum band. I didn't like it. I prefer that angled corner design to the rounded one the 950 had, but I'll take rounded corners over light-colored metal (the 830's black version had a darker band that looked better).

Regardless, remember that the 830 was a scam. "Affordable flagship" was a total joke, and it was more "overpriced budget device." It released in 2014, its SoC was tested to be about on-par with the 920's chip from 2012. Its internals were basically the same thing that ran in the Lumia 630 two steps below (the 730 ran it as well). Basically, all the 830 got you was the wireless charging and a better camera. It's not an impressive device, it just was marketed as much better than it really was. If all you want is a phone that looks pretty, I guess go with the 830. Then again, why even bother with the compromises of the Microsoft OS when you care more about hardware design?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I know that processor used in 930 is better, but it doesn't have that brave design like 830... I like macros and details, so i don't know i I need 20mp, but why not? Battery life is big part of decition, but... is 830's display that bad? I heard something about grayish black... I didn't know about that 830 doesn't support double tap, but since W10M I'm not using it very often (in most cases it doesn't work even on slow ring). Main detail that 830 has and 930 hasn't is that circle around camera... Now I don't know which should I buy...

The 830 does support double tap

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Between 930 and 1520, I think 1520 is the better option re: SD card, Glance, battery endurance. They share the same camera. I'll be honest about my 1520, I think it lacks capability in low light and iffy lighting. 830 seems to actually be a better all around camera, except for the super close crop in that high res on 930/1520 allows for.

Check this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...mia-camera-shootout-928-vs-1520-vs-830-a.html IMHO, it shows that 830 can shoot with the big dogs.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I loved the 830 I had. to me, perfect size, and all the feature's i've come to enjoy in the windows platform. I also liked that it used the more meager SD 400 processor, since it did work fine for me. unfortunately, i cracked my screen, and since i bought it at the msft store with the care package, i brought it back to them and swapped it for the 950xl since they no longer stock the unlocked 830.

the difference between the 950xl/windows 10 and the 830 is deprecation of some photo related features, while adding more video capable features. for instance, smartshot or action shot(one of my all time favorite features) is gone, but we now have slow motion video. also, no stock panorama app. Continuum is actually nice, though, and will get better with updates this summer.

I haven't give up on the 950xl yet, but i do wish i had some of my old features from the 830. I have the mozo case for it, and it really makes it look alot nicer then what the phone came with. I agree with you on the 925 being a great looking phone(my personal favorite), and wish they simply would have updated the processor/ram rather then release the 930 or 1520.

knowing what i know now, and looking at the 830 and the 950xl, and price were no object, i would go with the 950xl, simply because it has more capability, whether it's the camera, video, or running apps.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll be honest about my 1520, I think it lacks capability in low light and iffy lighting. 830 seems to actually be a better all around camera, except for the super close crop in that high res on 930/1520 allows for.

I totally agree. The only flaw of the 1520 is the performance of the camera in low light. Super noisy & grainy in low light, looks really poor. In bright daylight, the quality of photos are excellent. Too bad that Nokia went with f2.4 instead of f2.0 (Lumia 920/925 style) with the 1520. The f2.2 lens on the Lumia 830 should produce better low light photos.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I loved the Nokia phones and the bright cases allowed me to find mine, if it had slipped somewhere, making it strikingly visible against drab clutter.

The Microsoft phones have deterred me - largely the design and value weren't right for me. They've also narrowed their target market, away from the consumer segments that Nokia had, to largely really be a business handset provider. Now the wider world understands that businesses can cope with inspired designs and the people who use products prefer something that's ground breaking. We got the 950 and 950xl, after a tremendous waiting period. Many of us were real fans of the older inspiration and fantastic elements that Nokia had brought along - so it's likely that we were somewhat dismayed.

I'm in the USA atm and considering a purchase - the 650 is more of a budget handset and seemingly capable, if a little lacking in being super-powered: it looks pretty neat and cool. The Acer Liquid is out here, it's a budget phone, $99 or so but only 5 megapixel camera, so not fit for the op's needs. I'm more tempted as it's dual sim, rather than for stunning design: it's seemingly a fairly standard look, though not ugly by any stretch.

If Nokia did ever return to Windows phones I'm sure it would be wonderful - could they, after having their teams decimated? I'm guessing that it would be very tough. I don't know if they'd have restrictions built into any contractual terms with MS from their past interaction, but it would be likely.

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, great comparison! 1520 is grat in focusing to far object but after this i think 830 can handle my needs (depth of field, macros etc.)
@earthman007 I don't think that'll happen but i'd like to see new WP nokia... It could be fun to see how nokia can "steal" customers from MS Lumia to Nokia Lumia on the same OS... So after reading your opinions Lumia 830 will be last chance to Microsoft from me. If there'll not be "old-nokia-nice-designed" phone, I'll leave W10M. But that's future, maybe Microsoft will change their decitions and they'll slowly accept fact that Nokia's desugn was better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss