06-18-2016 06:39 PM
82 1234
tools
    I predict they will do like this:
    1. Pay up 26 billion USD
    2. Stop any feature development for 2 years while they remake the core of the LinkedIn system
    3. Release the new LinkedIn which has almost the same features as the LinkedIn we know today (but without the finesse and also lacking some appreciated core functionality)
    4. Release some new LinkedIn for students, "LinkedIn for pets" and "LinkedIn for dead people" that all will flop
    5. Find out that the userbase is shrinking and therefore transform LinkedIn to a simple Facebook plug in
    6. Fire 95% of the employees

(As a "bonus" they might screw up the posibillities to use any local language outside US. IF someone moves across a boarder, his LinkedIn account will stop working. Chronological order for this is unknown...)

The future has the answer
    You missed out these points.

7. Due to lack of employees, create a LinkedIn insider program for 'fans' to test the releases.
    8. Create a perpetual insider product that 'is never finished' so nobody is ever accountable if it fails or bricks your devices.
    06-15-2016 09:21 AM
    Waste of money, lack of attention to their products and gifts to the competition, the formula of the destruction of Microsoft. Personally in my opinion we are seeing the twilight and decline of Microsoft, Satya Nadella placed the coffin nails...
    sniperboywc likes this.
    06-15-2016 09:27 AM
    I get the feeling this is mostly about the huge network of professionals who are more likely to use MS software rather than the average consumer who could be a student or a person using basic services
    In addition to that, I could think that Microsoft find it useful as a source of statistical information of platform usage, as well as BI. LinkedIn is a great source for Data Mining.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    06-15-2016 12:06 PM
    I used to used LinkedIn quite a bit more in the past. However, at some point they started locking it down a bit much and charging way too much money for the premium services. Now it's mostly recruiters and talent scouts using it.

IMHO, MS should open it back up to add back the mass appeal it once had. That's the only way I see it getting some value.
    06-15-2016 02:25 PM
    I used to used LinkedIn quite a bit more in the past. However, at some point they started locking it down a bit much and charging way too much money for the premium services. Now it's mostly recruiters and talent scouts using it.

IMHO, MS should open it back up to add back the mass appeal it once had. That's the only way I see it getting some value.
    Exactly! I used it when it first started up, you could create groups and everyone who joined that group, you had thier email address. I know some people who have databases of email addresses numbering in the 100,000's all in a particular field (SAP modules for example) - your right though, they moneytised it by removing functionality bit by bit. Its lost its soul, groups and udates are an after thought, its all about making money which is understandably turning people off. MS can hopefully add a new dimension.
    06-15-2016 03:42 PM
    Minecraft was a good buy I think.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-2016 04:34 PM
    Lot's of companies get bought for more than they are worth. The full Nokia purchase was written off, AOL was famously over valued during their Time Warner merger, and Microsoft just overpaid for LinkedIn.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-2016 04:45 PM
    MS buying LinkedIn is great since there going towards enterprise levels etc.
    06-15-2016 05:47 PM
    8. Create a perpetual insider product that 'is never finished' so nobody is ever accountable if it fails or bricks your devices.
    Good sarcasm, but you don't understand. This is just an extension of the Windows as a Service model. It means Windows, Skype, and Linkedin now will never be completed and constantly updated. It is totally different than how they used to run things. They used to release software that was by and large completed and then improved through updates and service packs. Now the software is never completed even after frequent updates and service packs. This is a much better way to run things for consumers, developers, and OEMs.
    06-15-2016 05:58 PM
    06-15-2016 06:39 PM
    LinkedIn is in financial trouble. Perhaps MS can help turn in around, but I have my doubts. Can anyone point out any recent MS buys that panned out? We all know what the Nokia purchase did!!!
    People at Mojang may disagree with you.
    Also, keep in mind that this is a first major acquisition under Nadella, all the other failed ones were from previous leadership, so using historical comparisons here may not work.
    06-15-2016 07:22 PM
    Nadella is very bright and has a clear vision of where he wants to take his company.
    Buying LinkedIn was clearly fitting his strategy. I had read both CEO letters to their employees and they revealed a lot.

The most important piece was in the LinkedIn letter, talking about the emerging displacement of many and many workers, due to machine learning (or automation, robotization, whatever you want to call it). Those people will be looking for jobs.

- Microsoft focuses on cloud.
    - Microsoft focuses on enterprise.
    - Microsoft doesn't have a major social network footprint.
    - Chrome OS (with Google Docs) gaining access to Android apps, could spell serious trouble for Office and Windows in enterprise.

Imagine LinkedIn as a framework the enterprise could buy as a service and deploy inside, intranet on steroids. You package of Azure, Office, OneDrive, Skype for business, and all other services.... makes perfect sense...

If that did not convince you, what about the warchest of data LinkedIn is sitting on? All the connections, people skills listed in user profiles, or what job they are looking for? That is like a spyglass other companies would give up a leg for...to see where the enterprise is heading.

I think this was a brilliant acquisition. Though pricey.
    06-15-2016 07:36 PM
    I think that this is a great purchase. In the US, Salesforce.com has a monopoly on CRM software. But what Salesforce lacks is the global list of professionals which can be used by sales/marketing of their customers as a ready-made list of leads. That's where MS's purchase of LinkedIn makes a lot more sense. By tying it up with Microsoft Dynamics which is already displacing a lot of smaller/lower-end CRM providers, Microsoft is setting itself up as a competitor in the CRM domain. I work for a company that provides analytics for F1000 companies that aid them in identifying leads that are more likely to convert and one of the biggest needs there is a proper LinkedIn profile.

I am not aware of others, but most of the people I work with and work for always keep their LinkedIn profiles updated. Having this as an integral part of your product offering makes great sense for MS, especially with their deep integration in professional workflow through MS Office and the up and coming CRM domain through MS Dynamics. Tie this with Azure in the back-end and it could potentially become the differentiator in whatever MS has to offer in these domains.

Still early days to see how this will turn out, but my bets are on MS on this
    06-15-2016 10:28 PM
    it's FB for work. Might buy more credibility for social networking at the workplace? HR could use it for employees? o365 integration?
    not sure if 26 billion is a good deal...
    06-15-2016 10:43 PM
    In terms of TIMING: LinkedIn lost over half of its stock value over the past few months. From an acquisition standpoint, this is a great time for purchase for MS, even with them overpaying a bit they still came in way, way below LI's market high.

In terms of IRRELEVANCE: LinkedIn by itself cannot easily be replicated. Competition problems that plague Nokia, Yammer and Skype don't apply here.

In terms of PROFIT: LinkedIn has generally been a break-even company (+/- 5% margins). They haven't posted major profits OR major losses. Their primary expenses are Corporate Sales and R&D. There is every reason to think that a MS acquisition will drastically reduce those expenses since MS does both very well already, which should push them to margins (not profits) more consistent to what facebook sees.

In terms of WIIFM (whats in it for microsoft): Aside from acquiring something they can easily turn into a positive profit stream, a lot. Imagine Bing integrating LinkedIn results to search. Imagine being able to watch trends in what people are learning and recruiting for and being able to react to that. While this may not lead to more Office sales (market saturation), its important for the visibility they need to keep Office dominant, and it may very well lead to contacts that help Azure better compete with Amazon.

Is it worth $26B? Considering it should only take the smallest nudge to move LI from break-even to consistently profitable, and considering the heavily discounted price from just a few months ago, yes, its very likely to be a boon for both companies.

The hard part is keeping LI from eating itself. Like other social networks, it thrives on real people but dies as its poisoned by bots and spam. Those are problems LI has been lazy to solve but are very important to solve for a positive UX.
    06-16-2016 03:44 AM
    It is quite simple. Google and Facebook are among the biggest companies in the world by having great user data collection (or spying as some prefer). But Google fails to have reach personal data and Facebook fails to have reach behavioral data. Collecting all that data in one space (Microsoft) will be worth 26 billion for sure.

Though if it turns out to be truth (and I really can't see anything else), I'll probably stop using Microsoft's services and technologies whenever I can.
    Danobe and Player Piano like this.
    06-16-2016 05:25 AM
    It is quite simple. Google and Facebook are among the biggest companies in the world by having great user data collection (or spying as some prefer). But Google fails to have reach personal data and Facebook fails to have reach behavioral data. Collecting all that data in one space (Microsoft) will be worth 26 billion for sure.

Though if it turns out to be truth (and I really can't see anything else), I'll probably stop using Microsoft's services and technologies whenever I can.
    Yup, that is the reason I don't do Facebook, and the reason I won't own Google products, nor use their "cloud office".
    06-16-2016 06:27 AM
    My immediate concerns are for my privacy and how my data will be used
    Danobe and hippohumongous like this.
    06-16-2016 06:34 AM
    Unless MS modifies the Privacy Terms they are bound to the Terms in place when they bought LinkedIn.
    06-16-2016 07:38 AM
    Unless MS modifies the Privacy Terms they are bound to the Terms in place when they bought LinkedIn.
    Until they update the privacy terms.
    06-16-2016 07:49 AM
    Like other social networks, it thrives on real people but dies as its poisoned by bots and spam. Those are problems LI has been lazy to solve but are very important to solve for a positive UX.
    The meme over the past year or so has been satirizing the LinkedIn email spam and sense of user desperation: "Hi, I'd like to add you to my professional network on linkedin".

So much so, that The New Yorker magazine published a few cartoons spoofing it
    06-16-2016 08:54 AM
    And this:
    06-16-2016 08:56 AM
    Awesome prediction
    06-16-2016 10:57 AM
    Have you sat down and actually read through the Linkedin Terms and Conditions when you signed up?
    libra89 likes this.
    06-16-2016 11:12 AM
    I'm waiting to see the pink slips for the irony to fully sink in.
    06-16-2016 12:53 PM
82 1234