Surface Phone vs iPhone 7 pro?

anubhav756

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Alright, now the time is getting closer and closer, and mankind will finally witness the epic battle between the two titans!

I want to know all the interesting rumours and prophecies which you guys have to make :D

So who do you think will win?

The 7th descendant of the serious, disciplined, and highly experienced Apple dynasty?

Or the young and aggressive successor of probably the only thriving, Surface family, in the Microsoft's kingdom?

Last edited:

Gerade_Kurve

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 pro vs SurfacePhone

In my Opinion the Surface Phone will win because the iPhone 7 will most likely not have innovative features other than "better specs" "it is thinner now" while the Surface Phone will hopefully bring Continuum in a perfect form and with the Surface Branding it will be much more accepted than any Lumia/Windows Phone was before. People love Surface but most has negative thoughts about Windows phone.

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: SurfacePhone vs iPhone 7 pro

Surface phone will not succeed unless it is a an x86 based phone.
However, it is unlikey that it will be x86 because there is no processor to make the phone around. Any hint of using the new Kaby Lake processor may not turn out to be true because if MS was working in that direction, we could have seen the availability of the phone subsystem on Windows 10 tablets -- but we haven't see anything like that.

Hence it seems that MS is not working towards such a device.

The only other path that MS could take is to build an x86 emulator into the surface phone based on ARM. And then let Continuum present a full screen to any x86 programs running on the surface phone. If MS would have been working on something like this, they would have been out with an emulator by now.

So there are two routes, but I don't see any sign that MS may be working on something like either one of those routes to a successful x86 phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Not sure how I can pit these two still elusive devices against each other.

On one hand, I don't think whatever Apple unveils will be as impressive in my eyes as was with the iPhone 4's launch. A spec-bump, a couple of twists of varying magnitude and maybe a new design.

On the other hand, I don't expect much from Microsoft. The mobile divisions and stuff are pretty much in hibernation and/or gutted. The Surface hardware team may be able to put something together, but it won't be with the Nokia expertise that helped Windows Phone differentiate. And if the hardware does shape up to be a force to be reckoned with, the lack of resources and QA put into Windows 10 Mobile may ultimately doom this now-hobby.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Not sure how I can pit these two still elusive devices against each other.

On one hand, I don't think whatever Apple unveils will be as impressive in my eyes as was with the iPhone 4's launch. A spec-bump, a couple of twists of varying magnitude and maybe a new design.

On the other hand, I don't expect much from Microsoft. The mobile divisions and stuff are pretty much in hibernation and/or gutted. The Surface hardware team may be able to put something together, but it won't be with the Nokia expertise that helped Windows Phone differentiate. And if the hardware does shape up to be a force to be reckoned with, the lack of resources and QA put into Windows 10 Mobile may ultimately doom this now-hobby.

I echo this viewpoint. The Surface Phone is a myth at this point. And even if it does come to fruition, it will likely be running W10M. W10M is not a myth, as it is already in use and we are fully aware of its capabilities and limitations.

As for the iPhone 7, we can have a pretty good idea of what will be coming, based on Apple's history. It will be an update to the 6/6S, with updated hardware and iOS 10, likely with a few new features. You can interpret that however you wish! :winktongue:

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Surface phone will not succeed unless it is a an x86 based phone.
However, it is unlikey that it will be x86 because there is no processor to make the phone around. Any hint of using the new Kaby Lake processor may not turn out to be true because if MS was working in that direction, we could have seen the availability of the phone subsystem on Windows 10 tablets -- but we haven't see anything like that.

Hence it seems that MS is not working towards such a device.

The only other path that MS could take is to build an x86 emulator into the surface phone based on ARM. And then let Continuum present a full screen to any x86 programs running on the surface phone. If MS would have been working on something like this, they would have been out with an emulator by now.

So there are two routes, but I don't see any sign that MS may be working on something like either one of those routes to a successful x86 phone.
HoloLens and Surface Hub cannot run win32 applications, they has x86 cpu. x86 cpu doesn't mean it will run win32 app! Microsoft want developers embrace new UWP, so forget about it! it will never happen!

anubhav756

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
In my Opinion the Surface Phone will win because the iPhone 7 will most likely not have innovative features other than "better specs" "it is thinner now" while the Surface Phone will hopefully bring Continuum in a perfect form and with the Surface Branding it will be much more accepted than any Lumia/Windows Phone was before. People love Surface but most has negative thoughts about Windows phone.

I don't know why, but I'm reminded of the time when Lumia 950 was about to launch, and I was more than sure that the iris scanning feature would kill the fingerprint scanner of the iPhone. But...

Anyways, I just hope they don't launch the phone with an untested Redstone 2, and put up a good ad campaign along with it.

A bridge for this is already up and running, I guess. Something like this?

The Surface Phone is a myth at this point

Why? It has almost been confirmed here and by various other sources at WC, even by MS too.

Last edited by a moderator:

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Let's talk once the Surface Phone actually becomes available.

Right now, it is not even confirmed that it is being worked on. And MS is known for killing off phones even when they are being worked on too.

What I can tell you is that no single phone will change the fate of Windows Mobile.

anubhav756

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Let's talk once the Surface Phone actually becomes available.

Right now, it is not even confirmed that it is being worked on. And MS is known for killing off phones even when they are being worked on too.

What I can tell you is that no single phone will change the fate of Windows Mobile.

Agreed, it is likely but we can't say for sure, because it may be (for the first time ever) a full fledged laptop given to us as a phone, and IF that happens, it MIGHT change the whole story

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's just wait and see. For now 950 and XL have better cameras, better screens, more memory and a way lower price. I don't think Apple did nearly as much as they should have with the 7. But it'll still be here while I wait to see what Surface phone offers.

grob9642

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Sadly I think this battle is already over. Microsoft threw in the towel on mobile. Apple is going to have to fight like hell to stay relevant as Android marches on in total market dominance. The next big thing better be coming from Apple next year for the iPhone's 10th anniversary or there could be trouble in Cupertino.

grob9642

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Is this really going to happen? Apple for sure I know but is Microsoft actually going to produce a viable smart phone OS? I keep hearing rumors and I am wondering if anyone has some actual facts about this? Please speak up if you do!

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Did You place the same question on iMore? Since asking about MS device vs Apple device on Windows Central is pretty rhetorically :wink:

madapplepi

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll be rooting for the Surface Phone:
Microsoft has been teasing everybody with promising software. I'm sure that Panos and his team will deliver on beautiful hardware.
I will need a tighter app gap to become widely popular though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise