Microsoft looks set to ?end sales? of Lumia phones this December

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
512K of RAM? That's massive! I have a Commodore 64 with 64K.

I haven't fired it up in a few years, but it worked fine the last time I did. I'm hoping a functioning one becomes valuable someday.
Remember before the internet when there was nothing but BB services. I used to drive up some hellacious long distance phone bills in those days.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this isn't news.I believe it has something to do with agreements made when Microsoft bought Nokia's devices division.

It was the Nokia name they were contractually obligated to stop using after a certain time. They purchased the name Lumia. However, the name Lumia is off-putting to 3rd party OEMs as it became synonymous with Windows Phone in the minds of consumers and fans alike...

The big question is: what comes next?

A long slow climb?

3rd party OEM rollouts are trickling in right now. Microsoft needs to create some momentum when they come back from their hardware sabbatical. Hopefully the OS gets more features/polish/stability as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
3rd party OEM rollouts are trickling in right now.

They were there all along. But with almost all Windows Phone sales being Lumia, the other OEMs were barely noticeable. Are there actually more now than there were? I wonder if it's just that we're starting to notice them now.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It was the Nokia name they were contractually obligated to stop using after a certain time. They purchased the name Lumia. However, the name Lumia is off-putting to 3rd party OEMs as it became synonymous with Windows Phone in the minds of consumers and fans alike...

I'm not sure that's going to get any better with a "Surface" phone, seeing as the Surface name is already associated with Microsoft's premium tablets and laptop.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They were there all along. But with almost all Windows Phone sales being Lumia, the other OEMs were barely noticeable. Are there actually more now than there were? I wonder if it's just that we're starting to notice them now.

Oh there is a crop of new OEMs which are mostly regional ATM. I've not seen anything new from the older 7.x and 8.x makers: Samsung, HTC, or even BLU... We have new names like Coship, Alcatel, Acer, Mouse Computers, Trinty, HP, VAIO. Check all the new OEMs added to WDRT recently: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...-recovery-tool-expanded-covers-more-oems.html

I'm not sure that's going to get any better with a "Surface" phone, seeing as the Surface name is already associated with Microsoft's premium tablets and laptop.

Sure, but Surface Phone is probably going to be elite hardware and elite pricing like the 2-in-1. What about Joe Needsaphone? That's where the OEMs will likely make a difference is in the low and mid tiers with a few high end offerings.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sure, but Surface Phone is probably going to be elite hardware and elite pricing like the 2-in-1. What about Joe Needsaphone? That's where the OEMs will likely make a difference is in the low and mid tiers with a few high end offerings.

Maybe, but I have my doubts. OEM's in that price range have historically done the absolute minimum with their Windows handsets so I don't see them attracting many users even if the price is more in their range. We'll have to see if they up their game.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm hoping for (and maybe what Microsoft is counting on); by withdrawing Lumia there is an incentive for OEMs to create or license firmware and hardware tech to differentiate.

I can attest to Coship effectively using ClearBlack tech in their displays. I'd like to see more of this "borrowing" as well as individual innovation.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but Surface Phone is probably going to be elite hardware and elite pricing like the 2-in-1.

For the last several years, hardware has not been the problem. We've had good hardware. WP's weakness has been the OS along with its ecosystem. This is why I fear a Surface Phone. If it was released now, it could tarnish the Surface brand.

If in the next year Microsoft gets W10M in shape, then a Surface Phone could be a good thing. But, a Lumia would also be good. Fix the OS & ecosystem, and you fix Lumia. I fail to see what a Surface Phone is going to accomplish.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I fail to see what a Surface Phone is going to accomplish.

Well, almost by definition it won't satisfy users on a budget. And that was part of what Lumia did. I imagine Surface phone being more like the definite upgrade to 9xx and 1520 users that they may have found lacking thus far. It will likely be competing with the new crop of "Superphones" from HP/Acer/Alcatel and probably exceeding them in some way.

But what about low and mid tier, even the beginning of the high end? Lumia is gone, for good or ill. 3rd party OEMs have room to maneuver there and if they want to build reputation and brand loyalty on the platform they need to bring something... This is what I talk about in my Moly W5 review. OEMs need to step up with something and, IMHO, Coship brought a fantastic build quality and a great screen. I don't mind shilling the review around the forum to help get the word out. There is something good there and something that is worth building on. Yes they lack a marketing presence, but that's probably because these phones are test cases. If they don't find any support from the platform's users and we don't help the word get out then...

And you can say that is the OEM's job, to advertise and push their brand out. But hey, I love this platform still and many users have found I have a hard time NOT talking about it. :winktongue:

Nothing wrong with word of mouth.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
And you can say that is the OEM's job, to advertise and push their brand out. But hey, I love this platform still and many users have found I have a hard time NOT talking about it.

Nothing wrong with word of mouth.

Go for it! (You have been! :winktongue: )

Although your entire post is great logic, I haven't seen any great logic happen with Windows Phone the last couple years. :wink:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Go for it! (You have been! :winktongue: )

Although your entire post is great logic, I haven't seen any great logic happen with Windows Phone the last couple years. :wink:

Whoa, whoa, whoa....THAT'S the truth!

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] :winktongue:

Sprint51

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I also have a 2 year old 830 that is nearing time to be replaced. I have not been thrilled with either the 950 or XL and was holding on for something else. The other recent new phones being too expensive and the recent price cuts to the 950 I am thinking of getting one to hold me over for a year or so and see what comes of the Surface phone rumors. Windows is a great phone OS, I just wish there more quality phones to choose from.

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I also have a 2 year old 830 that is nearing time to be replaced. I have not been thrilled with either the 950 or XL and was holding on for something else. The other recent new phones being too expensive and the recent price cuts to the 950 I am thinking of getting one to hold me over for a year or so and see what comes of the Surface phone rumors. Windows is a great phone OS, I just wish there more quality phones to choose from.

You should get a 950 XL, I am not regretting my decision at all. These phones are so much better than when they came out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers