Microsoft looks set to ?end sales? of Lumia phones this December

Ankur Grover

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Can sombody confirm whether this is rumor or not?

link : https://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-looks-set-end-sales-lumia-phones-december-director-mentions-surface-phone

Regards

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm just going to copy paste my post from another thread:

So?

These types of articles will cause panic across the internet.

However, Lumia does not equal Windows 10 mobiles. Our lumia's will still be getting updates. Microsoft just wants other OEMS to take the mantle and release phones.

HP has done it. Alcatel is coming with the Idol pro 4. The Xiaomi mi4 is available. There are rumours about roms for the one plus 2, one plus 3 and xiaomi mi5 and I am sure other OEMS will be following suit.

This is not the end of Windows 10.. No , oh no.. This... is just the beginning.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So?
However, Lumia does not equal Windows 10 mobiles. Our lumia's will still be getting updates. Microsoft just wants other OEMS to take the mantle and release phones.

HP has done it. Alcatel is coming with the Idol pro 4. The Xiaomi mi4 is available. There are rumours about roms for the one plus 2, one plus 3 and xiaomi mi5 and I am sure other OEMS will be following suit.

I would normally agree with you, but your statements here are pinned to the wind..... HP has only started rolling, and I hope they do very well !!!!
Lumia at this time is (for now), the one solid footing in the Market, now that Blu has closed it's door on Windows Phone
Alcatel is coming????? Let me take you back to the start of the year CES 2016 Hands-on with the 8-inch Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3 Windows 10 Mobile tablet/phone | Windows Central
Alcatel stated it would launch in April....May,June,July,Aug, now Sept. and still no sign............

Rumors of ROMs ??? Have any OEMS gone on record saying this is a line they are following or did this crop up because Microsoft invested in Cyanogen ( mainly to see the install of MS services on Androids).

I think the smarter move would have been to hold the line as is until a Surface Phone is officially put on display at an event somewhere. It's the impression that is being shown that will do the most damage to whatever Market Microsoft holds right now.

This story + the removal of Lumia from the Microsoft main page, with nothing to hold the mindset of the average Joe, like a Surface Phone, makes average people see Microsoft raise the White Flag of Surrender.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The end of the Lumia line does not equate to the end of Windows 10 Mobile. It does, however, signal the end of a very unsuccessful line of mobile devices. Why do we lament the demise of the Lumia brand as if it shattered sales records and put Microsoft on the same level of Android or iOS in terms of worldwide market share? The rumored Surface is not guaranteed to happen. If the HP, Alcatel or Acer high-end phones don't catch on with businesses or consumers, you best believe there will be no Surface phone.

Windows 10 Mobile isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The 950 and 650 will continue to be supported as long as WaaS continues to exist. Those of us that continue to enjoy the OS will no doubt seek other OEMs for newer devices. Those that prefer to cry in their coffee can go elsewhere. That's just keepin' it real.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Lumia is a done deal. Stocks on hand are all we will see now and those are getting discounted to sell.

Next phase is just starting to roll with 3rd party OEMs entering to fill the void. It's slow, but a necessary step. Nokia pumped out a bewildering number of models and variants and it didn't save Nokia Cell Phone Divisions. All it did was stifle competition. When Microsoft took over Lumia, it further alienated 3rd party makers.

Microsoft needed to withdraw from hardware to entice makers back.

The loss to consumers on this platform is Lumia Firmware. New OEMs need to step up and not just use the base OS which is free. They need to get some Firmware in there. SensorCore for a start, Camera needs work, Glance and DTtW functions. There is room for a dedicated OEM to innovate and differentiate. I've used phones with the base ROM and no frills. Things need to be filled in.

Microsoft could also create a profit on the free OS by licensing Lumia Firmware and Hardware pieces. They have already Licensed ClearBlack to Coship. Coship uses ClearBlack and their own "High Brightness Mode" firmware to produce an outstanding display (IMHO) on Moly phones. I'd like to see more of this licensing happen. Imagine getting Lumia Camera Classic on a new W10M device from a 3rd party? Why can't they license or code their own Glance? FM radio app is gone. Write one or license the old one and hook it in...

Likely, OEMs want to see some sales before they spend on developing or licensing firmware. That will probably be "stage 2."'

If consumers don't buy in and sit and pine away for Lumia to come back from the dead, then the whole thing goes over a cliff.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should have run a transition. Yes back away from the release of devices, but state for the record something is yet to come. This would have a double message to the O.E.M. and the Windows Phone community.

You show you are pulling away from the manufacture, but you also keep an already panic riddled community calm.

You don't even have to give away fully what will be your one and only future phone, just a press release with a view of a kickstand, or something that is Surface related.

I am very sure they have been in talks with Samsung who may take a lead roll with a device that will dual boot ( WC Story ), and even with as much as I hate Android...a Galaxy Note that can boot into Windows 10 for Mobile would catch a great many people who would otherwise just wait out a Surface Phone. I am also very sure Microsoft eased up on the transfer fee Samsung must pay to sell phones, if they bring Windows 10 for mobile into the mix.

Microsoft needs to do one better then Apple and tease something. Heck they already have an almost perfect stage in which to do it any of the NFL broadcasts....a simple 10 second spot with something in shadow....and one word "Soon" or something like that.
They have to start the buzz.....
Heck if I was head of Marketing I would hire David Attenborough to voice very cryptic spots and start the world talking, have him talk about how humans learned to communicate, how things evolve over time..... then at what ever event just hearing that voice smooth chill the words Microsoft Surface Phone would be like a verbal orgasm to the Windows faithful.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should have run a transition. Yes back away from the release of devices, but state for the record something is yet to come. This would have a double message to the O.E.M. and the Windows Phone community.

You show you are pulling away from the manufacture, but you also keep an already panic riddled community calm.

You don't even have to give away fully what will be your one and only future phone, just a press release with a view of a kickstand, or something that is Surface related.

I am very sure they have been in talks with Samsung who may take a lead roll with a device that will dual boot ( WC Story ), and even with as much as I hate Android...a Galaxy Note that can boot into Windows 10 for Mobile would catch a great many people who would otherwise just wait out a Surface Phone. I am also very sure Microsoft eased up on the transfer fee Samsung must pay to sell phones, if they bring Windows 10 for mobile into the mix.

Microsoft needs to do one better then Apple and tease something. Heck they already have an almost perfect stage in which to do it any of the NFL broadcasts....a simple 10 second spot with something in shadow....and one word "Soon" or something like that.
They have to start the buzz.....
Heck if I was head of Marketing I would hire David Attenborough to voice very cryptic spots and start the world talking, have him talk about how humans learned to communicate, how things evolve over time..... then at what ever event just hearing that voice smooth chill the words Microsoft Surface Phone would be like a verbal orgasm to the Windows faithful.

I think it's a marketing technique. Kill off the lumia line now and let people forget about it and the failure (let's be real. it failed) it was to Microsoft.

The next real re-launch with a new brand (surface phone) and everyone (non-windows phone users) will be wowed like "What is this device!". They may even think it's a whole new OS on the phone...

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am still going to buy my wife a 950 to replace her two year old 830 and I will probably buy my boy a 650 to replace his cracked screen 930 that he still has on contract, at the prices MS are charging in the UK at the moment and for the specs the remaining stock still has validity, especially if you want a Windows phones at decent prices. I am not a fan of any particular device maker, although I do like having the word Microsoft on my XL.

As mentioned it's maybe the end of Lumia hardware, but Windows running on phones is actually running pretty well at the moment.

I think MS have handled this pretty poorly over the last few years with so many resets (Although I understand why things were done this way), and although I ended up with my 950XL via a 1520 because I initially liked the Metro design on my wife's first Windows phone running 7, Windows 10 is fantastic on PC and phone there is no need to press the panic button.

Goodbye Lumia (Well after I buy some more that is) and long live Windows running on phones, whoever makes them.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The sad thing: this is the real end of Nokia.

And the quality of Nokia phones. Some OEM may build a cheap W10M phone. But it will be China style, who really needs it?

And a 800$ HP? Who needs that and who will prefer it over an iPhone or Samsung? Without many essential apps?

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Well the end of Nokia and Lumia's doesn't mean the end of Windows 10 mobile. It has just begun. It will no stop me from buying a new 950 XL in the next few days. Maybe buy 2 and put one away. Maybe in 20 years it can be worth something. Like my old Atari, or Texas Instruments computer...Whe have only just begun.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The sad thing: this is the real end of Nokia.

And the quality of Nokia phones. Some OEM may build a cheap W10M phone. But it will be China style, who really needs it?

And a 800$ HP? Who needs that and who will prefer it over an iPhone or Samsung? Without many essential apps?

No consumers in any meaningful numbers will by $800 HP. Maybe some businesses. More iPhones are sold in one weekend than Lumias in years

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well then where are all these other OEM Windows phones? I'm stuck on Verizon and they ain't got jack! I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - THE NORTHEAST CORRIDOR, go figure, though its rural America here - and Verizon is all that works (WELL) in my area.

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

Last edited:

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
You guys are right. An $800 HP is absolutely pointless at this point - even if it takes outstanding photos and has amazing battery life. The issue has always been the APP STORE. People want apps. Microsoft NEED to get developers onboard. The reason Android and iOS are so popular is because the latest apps come out on their app stores. Today I went to install PayPal on my 640. Nope. Doesn't work on Windows 10. So I went to install MyFitnessPal - nope, doesn't exist. Argh! If I can't even get basic apps on a $100 device, why would I pay $800 so I can't get apps??

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Lumia is indeed going to end soon but Microsoft wants Windows 10 Mobile to continue and it will

Yes, yes, we'll see, but for who? Corporations or for us too. And if they don't get over this pissin' contest with VZW they're still gonna blow it. Corporations in America are on VZW. I can't believe that the HP Elite x3 has a CDMA radio in it that's crippled by the firmware. Maybe that's a good sign that MS is planning on reconciliation with VZW, though.

Peace. Alan

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well the end of Nokia and Lumia's doesn't mean the end of Windows 10 mobile. It has just begun. It will no stop me from buying a new 950 XL in the next few days. Maybe buy 2 and put one away. Maybe in 20 years it can be worth something. Like my old Atari, or Texas Instruments computer...Whe have only just begun.
Yes and my original Commodore and Commodore Amiga with a whopping expanded 512K of RAM. The Smithsonian Institute hasn't called me yet.:wink:

Peace. Alan

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes and my original Commodore and Commodore Amiga with a whopping expanded 512K of RAM. The Smithsonian Institute hasn't called me yet.:wink:

512K of RAM? That's massive! I have a Commodore 64 with 64K.

I haven't fired it up in a few years, but it worked fine the last time I did. I'm hoping a functioning one becomes valuable someday.

Last edited:

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

So?

Pretty much agree with this post on all points. I'm actually excited to see what other OEMs can come up with. I'm done with Microsoft, have been since the company fluffed up Windows Phone 8 and subsequently destroyed Nokia. It's time for partners to pick up and take Windows 10 on smartphones further.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
If I can't even get basic apps on a $100 device, why would I pay $800 so I can't get apps??

The Surface Phone could be made out of solid unobtainium, have a battery that lasts for weeks, and dispense cappuccino, but it won't solve the one problem that plagues W10M/WP: apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb