Your current favorite Microsoft product and your favorite of all time

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Choose from any of their accessories, hardware, or software.

Favorite of all time: Zune software. It really was just a great piece of software. Even though Zune as a service lives on through Groove, the actual software was top notch. It had some growing pains. I remember it used to duplicate songs or not sync music/photos correctly. But by the end, there wasn't a lot of music software that could compare to Zune.

Current favorite: Xbox One. Between all the free games via Games with Gold, Halo, Forza, and many other titles, I've been having a blast with the One.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
This will go back a ways, and cause some controversy, but:

XP with Service Pack 2 (at the point of time of when it was first released).

Universal Drivers finally fully implemented and working. Printers, NICs finally worked. XP with SP2 gave a first workable implementation of OS consolidation - it could replace the hodgepodge installed base of 95/98 and NT/2000 devices out there.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This will go back a ways, and cause some controversy, but:

XP with Service Pack 2 (at the point of time of when it was first released).

Universal Drivers finally fully implemented and working. Printers, NICs finally worked. XP with SP2 gave a first workable implementation of OS consolidation - it could replace the hodgepodge installed base of 95/98 and NT/2000 devices out there.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I felt the same way after Vista service pack 2. Even before SP2, I had a decent computer and Vista ran very well on it. After SP2, I basically didn't have any problems. Add in Dreamscene and Vista was pretty good.

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I would say, Bing. I absolutely love Bing and think that it is way more advanced than Google. However, Bing doesn't have a "Year" filter range, you have to enter a custom one :(

As for my favorite of all time, I'm going to go with Windows 8. I love the start screen and absolutely love live tiles. It wasn't just a grid of icons anymore, It was a screen filled with useful information without me even needing to open an app. I don't see why Metro Apps and the start screen are hated so much :(

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My Sidewinder X4 keyboard. Everything I could ask for in a membrane keyboard and at a low price. Also really liked 8.1. I'm sad I changed away from it, but can't complain too much on 10.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I felt the same way after Vista service pack 2.

I agree. For all the flak Vista got, I thought it was pretty decent after SP2. I believe that some of the problem with Vista is that it was resource intensive compared to XP, which added to the issues with upgrades. By the time SP2 rolled out, we would have had more upgraded hardware and the drivers issues had been somewhat worked out.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Currently and all time favourite is my Lumia 950. I like 640 XL too, but the experience can't be compared - it is just much much better on the 950 as the processor is way stronger and it can run more apps in the background - never got resuming screen so far, never lagged, not to mention that the speed of the camera can't be compared. Also I have to say that I'm personally satisfied with it's design - if you look at some nexus devices from like 1-2 years ago you will find polycarbonate design there. Can't wait to use Continuum, probably getting the dock this weekend.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, my favorite of all time has to be the Lumia 520/1 for the solid experience it offered and at the price it was, for a bit.

As for my current favorite, I guess Windows 8.1 (for PCs)? I have no desire to upgrade to 10, because I'm still liking 8.1 greatly.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. For all the flak Vista got, I thought it was pretty decent after SP2. I believe that some of the problem with Vista is that it was resource intensive compared to XP, which added to the issues with upgrades. By the time SP2 rolled out, we would have had more upgraded hardware and the drivers issues had been somewhat worked out.
I have gone on record to say Vista was awesome after SP2. Disabling the constant permissions in User Accounts made for a much more pleasurable experience. I liked the themes in Vista a lot more than the drab ones in 7, but the taskbar updates in 7 are the clincher.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have gone on record to say Vista was awesome after SP2. Disabling the constant permissions in User Accounts made for a much more pleasurable experience. I liked the themes in Vista a lot more than the drab ones in 7, but the taskbar updates in 7 are the clincher.

Yeah Windows 7 had a few little tweaks that improved the user experience over Vista. I seldom use a Vista machine anymore, or even Windows 7, but the UI was close enough that when I was working in PC repair I would sometimes forget which I was using. I'd slam a window against the side of the screen and wonder why it didn't snap!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Windows 7 had a few little tweaks that improved the user experience over Vista. I seldom use a Vista machine anymore, or even Windows 7, but the UI was close enough that when I was working in PC repair I would sometimes forget which I was using. I'd slam a window against the side of the screen and wonder why it didn't snap!

Oh man, I must have forgot that windows in Vista couldn't snap. That was in my younger days when I still used my web browser maximized. How young and naive I was... :grin:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Current Fave: Cortana. She does so much stuff for me. :cool:

All Time Fave: Lumia 1520.3. It's the longest I've ever been satisfied with a phone and we have been through a LOT together.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Current Fave: Cortana. She does so much stuff for me. :cool:

All Time Fave: Lumia 1520.3. It's the longest I've ever been satisfied with a phone and we have been through a LOT together.

Loved my 1520.3. Such a beast, although mine was never as reliable as yours. But still, my favorite phone I owned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte