MS exec confirms Nokia android phones coming - Irony.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft exec confirms new Nokia phones incoming - GSMArena.com news

According to the Vietnamese publication that quoted the Rutherfoord two new Nokia phones will come out by the end of the year and ?at least? two smartphones in early Q2 of next year.

So James Rutherfoord, CEO of Microsoft Asia-Pacific confirms that Nokia android phones are coming out and we have no news of their own surface phone.

P.S. posted here because of the Irony that MS execs are going about confirming Nokia rumors and have nothing to say abt surface device(I wont call it phone for it may not be)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This isn't the same Nokia of yesteryear. That's gone. I believe the current Nokia company is licensing it's brand "Nokia" to other companies to make these tablets and proposed phones. Just like "Polaroid" cameras/devices aren't made by the original Polaroid company. Research it to verify. I haven't been able to find any information about who is doing the design or the engineering.
Something in their deal with Microsoft must allow this to happen?
Best Wishes

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
This isn't the same Nokia of yesteryear. That's gone. I believe the current Nokia company is licensing it's brand "Nokia" to other companies to make these tablets and proposed phones. Just like "Polaroid" cameras/devices aren't made by the original Polaroid company. Research it to verify. I haven't been able to find any information about who is doing the design or the engineering.
Best Wishes
Correct and the deal was Nokia could not make phones under it's name/brand until 2016.

IIRC, most of these phones from Nokia are mid- to low-end Android. I wish them luck, they will need it. The Android market is hyper competitive and there are already a lot of good players out there doing it longer and better than Nokia. I think they'll be able to coast on their name for awhile, generate some hype, but in the long run I don't think it will matter too much.

Maybe they can get their stock above $5 a share again. Jeez.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Best Wishes

It's a newly founded Finland company called HMD Global.

Nokia signs strategic brand and intellectual property licensing agreement

Espoo, Finland - Nokia has announced plans that will see the Nokia brand return to the mobile phone and tablet markets on a global basis. Under a strategic agreement covering branding rights and intellectual property licensing, Nokia Technologies will grant HMD global Oy (HMD), a newly founded company based in Finland, an exclusive global license [1] to create Nokia-branded mobile phones and tablets for the next ten years. Under the agreement, Nokia Technologies will receive royalty payments from HMD for sales of Nokia-branded mobile products, covering both brand and intellectual property rights.

Sounds a bit like HMD was created specifically to create phones for Nokia. I still couldn't find who is designing them. I'll assume Nokia is.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that if Nokia has any success in Android, it will mostly be due to this. Isn't that primarily why WP made the progress it did a few years ago?
That's why I bought a Windows Phone. I knew nothing about Windows Phone at the time but I used Nokia (Symbian) prior to BlackBerry, and I needed something to replace an aging BlackBerry device and didn't want iOS/Android at the time.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's why I bought a Windows Phone.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. This applies to you and probably most other Nokia Lumia users.

I knew nothing about Windows Phone at the time but I used Nokia (Symbian) prior to BlackBerry, and I needed something to replace an aging BlackBerry device and didn't want iOS/Android at the time.

To carry this further, Nokia users loved their Nokia and wanted to continue using a Nokia. The OS was less important than the manufacturer, just like it still is today for the majority of smartphone users.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Nokia didn't mean anything to me. Had barely heard of it here in Minnesota USA. All we wanted was a Windows phone upgrade from our HTC Windows 6.5 phones. If I remember correctly, they were our third HTC Windows mobile phones. The last ones, TouchPro 2 (s) had a slide out actual keyboard and tilting screen. Geez I wore off the lettering on the physical keys preparing word, excel, and emails!
My wife upgraded to the HTC 8X, back then and I tried out a "Nokia" 822. Both without a real keyboard! We had our doubts, but no choice. The 822 was indestructible! I accidentally abused that phone endlessly dropping it. It just bounced and kept on working.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Where are you from? I think it makes a difference. I don't think Nokia was in the USA?
Huh? They were, they are famous for those cell phones with games on them...and were also indestructible!

I agree with @Laura Knotek and @patcherd . I also came because of them. Nokia had a great rep for reliable, solid phones and I heard a lot of good things about how strong and reliable their Windows Phones were from non-tech reviewers lol.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia didn't mean anything to me. Had barely heard of it here in Minnesota USA. All we wanted was a Windows phone upgrade from our HTC Windows 6.5 phones. If I remember correctly, they were our third HTC Windows mobile phones. The last ones, TouchPro 2 (s) had a slide out actual keyboard and tilting screen. Geez I wore off the lettering on the physical keys preparing word, excel, and emails!
My wife upgraded to the HTC 8X, back then and I tried out a "Nokia" 822. Both without a real keyboard! We had our doubts, but no choice. The 822 was indestructible! I accidentally abused that phone endlessly dropping it. It just bounced and kept on working.

My only knowledge of original Windows Mobile was from the TV commercial Ozzy Osbourne did for the Samsung Jack. Nobody I knew used legacy Windows Mobile. Most folks I knew used BlackBerry.

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Sounds a bit like HMD was created specifically to create phones for Nokia. I still couldn't find who is designing them. I'll assume Nokia is.

HMD picked up a lot of ex-Nokia people who were laid off. Nokia is a very focused and "lean" company now (despite having 100k employees) and I don't think they want to get near phones again. Nokia knows the value of the brand and therefore wants to keep it out there in the public space through HMD. Nokia however, did buy Withings to keep up to date in the "connected devices/IoT" market which it is interested in the near future with 5G.

Nokia Technologies dept will ensure HMD will put out a world class product. I don't know if/how much patent technology they will let HMD have or if they will charge for it.

Last edited:

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they can get their stock above $5 a share again. Jeez.

Telecom is having a rough year in 2016, but despite dipping under $5/share market cap is still near $30b USD, while Ericsson is getting smashed by scandals.

Nokia wants to keep the name in the light until potential IoT devices get released under the brand in the future.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Huh? They were, they are famous for those cell phones with games on them...and were also indestructible!

I agree with @Laura Knotek and @patcherd . I also came because of them. Nokia had a great rep for reliable, solid phones and I heard a lot of good things about how strong and reliable their Windows Phones were from non-tech reviewers lol.
I apologize if you took offense to my comments. It was just intended as solely my honest point of view and it still stands. I did not, and would never claim there are not other points of view. Especially in different parts of the world. Do you agree?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I apologize if you took offense to my comments. It was just intended as solely my honest point of view and it still stands. I did not, and would never claim there are not other points of view. Especially in different parts of the world. Do you agree?
I understand where you are coming from, no offense taken and I agree. I was just surprised that you asked. I remember wanting one when they were popular and then when they came out in color, I wanted it more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro