Is it me, or did the app gap recently become an app canyon?

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I am still recovering from a hard reset I did over the weekend. I couldn’t bear to be in the slow ring anymore and bumped me back down to production. One thing that presented itself to me was not only the removal of many apps from the app store, but also many apps were no longer available from my library. Some apps I used to use regularly I no longer have access to where some of them I even paid the 99 cents to remove the ads. The app gap seems to get bigger by the day. I am trying my best to hold out for the “Surface Phone.” Wish me luck.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It might be a glitch or maybe those apps left. Do you remember any of these apps you were looking for?

Good luck.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I live in Arizona and we have a little ditch that runs through Northern AZ. I believe the app gap is fast becoming a app canyon. :unhappy:

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Not just you, an unfortunate situation but not one that was unforeseen.
I foolishly assumed that since I was restoring from backup that I would get all of my installed apps back on my phone. But yeah, day by day more apps are disappearing. For me, I can get still get by for now.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I foolishly assumed that since I was restoring from backup that I would get all of my installed apps back on my phone. But yeah, day by day more apps are disappearing. For me, I can get still get by for now.
Were any of those wp8 apps? I had several of those unavailable more recently.

Sent from mTalk

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I also did a reset to improve the mess that was 15007 (that worked) and lost Stacks for Instapaper. That app still worked perfectly, but the developer gave up on it, and apparently took it out of the store? Not sure of the exact process, but the result is, I lost an app that I used a few times weekly. No fun.

Still, I keep looking at those insanely priced Pixels and iPhones, and I find it hard to make the jump. Plus the Pixel 128GB is out of stock, and you just know that the next Pixel will be ten times better (this one was allegedly a hasty job by HTC because Huawei didn't go along with all Google's requests/demands). So still hanging on, but kind of wishing I had gone 128GB Nexus 6P way back when.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Same here, I also did a reset to improve the mess that was 15007 (that worked) and lost Stacks for Instapaper. That app still worked perfectly, but the developer gave up on it, and apparently took it out of the store? Not sure of the exact process, but the result is, I lost an app that I used a few times weekly. No fun.

Still, I keep looking at those insanely priced Pixels and iPhones, and I find it hard to make the jump. Plus the Pixel 128GB is out of stock, and you just know that the next Pixel will be ten times better (this one was allegedly a hasty job by HTC because Huawei didn't go along with all Google's requests/demands). So still hanging on, but kind of wishing I had gone 128GB Nexus 6P way back when.
Yeah, I did pick up an iPhone 7 when they first launched. T-Mobile’s trade-in deal was too hard to pass. I bought a refurbished Sprint phone on eBay and traded it in to T-Mo for a brand new 7+. I had to pay $100 extra for the plus, but the whole thing worked out to around $350. Anyway, I keep that as a backup device. I still much prefer W10M, and the more I use the iPhone the more I realize for me the app gap is less of an issue. I guess it is good to start getting familiar with iOS & Android at this point.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
TBH there are only a select few apps we use on a regular basis across all platforms and that includes WP/WM, so for the most parts the basics are covered (for now). My problem is moving beyond the basics having access to those occasional use apps. We’re finding w/Android/iOS “the sky is the limit” whereas Windows Mobile is, “what you see is what you get”. Essentially WM leaves little room for growth. But if an app does exist it is pretty much assured you’ll be going back in time and it’ll lack many advancements/support.

And yes, moving to W10M has revealed, for me, the app gap has grown considerably making it tough depending on a device deemed as “smart” yet now lacking many apps.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I am still recovering from a hard reset I did over the weekend. I couldn’t bear to be in the slow ring anymore and bumped me back down to production. One thing that presented itself to me was not only the removal of many apps from the app store, but also many apps were no longer available from my library. Some apps I used to use regularly I no longer have access to where some of them I even paid the 99 cents to remove the ads. The app gap seems to get bigger by the day. I am trying my best to hold out for the “Surface Phone.” Wish me luck.
The app gap existed from day-1 and steadily grew daily. Many of the Microsoft faithful ignored and dismissed any comments and observations pointing out the gap as the ramblings of trolls. But the app gap/canyon is a fact.

That is NOT to say that everyone experiences the effects of this gap/canyon the same. For some, they don't perceive the gap at all. They are able to do everything they want to do using the apps they want to use. Others have managed the narrow the gap by using different apps or taking different approaches to the tasks they need to perform.

The situation is not going to improve any time soon.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The app gap existed from day-1 and steadily grew daily. Many of the Microsoft faithful ignored and dismissed any comments and observations pointing out the gap as the ramblings of trolls. But the app gap/canyon is a fact.

That is NOT to say that everyone experiences the effects of this gap/canyon the same. For some, they don't perceive the gap at all. They are able to do everything they want to do using the apps they want to use. Others have managed the narrow the gap by using different apps or taking different approaches to the tasks they need to perform.

The situation is not going to improve any time soon.

I think this is well said. It is how you perceive it, and we are all different.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
yes it's true that WM has an app gap, but I find equally annoying is the fact that IOS and android have an app OVERSATURATION, meaning you look for one app of something and get a result of 2000+ results of the same app or 500,000 apps of stupid crap you gotta sort through to find a good app... and don't get me started on androids bad security and privacy invasive apps! yeeesh!!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
yes it's true that WM has an app gap, but I find equally annoying is the fact that IOS and android have an app OVERSATURATION, meaning you look for one app of something and get a result of 2000+ results of the same app or 500,000 apps of stupid crap you gotta sort through to find a good app... and don't get me started on androids bad security and privacy invasive apps! yeeesh!!

I'd take the overabundance of apps on iOS/Android any day over Microsoft's sorry excuse for a Store. At least there is choice with the other platforms whereas on WM it is starting to become a rarity and in many cases choice is non-existent.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd take the overabundance of apps on iOS/Android any day over

I only use 7 of the one million apps on my Android phone :)

For a short while there on 8.1 the apps were looking solid.
Not to be anymore going forward.

Every once in awhile I still look at a few of my favs on 8.1 since they were so well done.
Guess I should quit doing that because it makes me sad...

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I only use 7 of the one million apps on my Android phone :)

Seven! are you on a diet or what LOL. Minus the core apps (email/texting, etc) I run between 50-65+ with not a game in the mix, we rarely use most that often but when called upon they are at my disposal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss