The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-22-2017 01:11 PM
27 12
tools
    I am still recovering from a hard reset I did over the weekend. I couldn’t bear to be in the slow ring anymore and bumped me back down to production. One thing that presented itself to me was not only the removal of many apps from the app store, but also many apps were no longer available from my library. Some apps I used to use regularly I no longer have access to where some of them I even paid the 99 cents to remove the ads. The app gap seems to get bigger by the day. I am trying my best to hold out for the “Surface Phone.” Wish me luck.
    aximtreo, Sedp23, Byrese and 1 others like this.
    01-19-2017 08:14 AM
    It might be a glitch or maybe those apps left. Do you remember any of these apps you were looking for?

Good luck.
    01-19-2017 08:22 AM
    It might be a glitch or maybe those apps left. Do you remember any of these apps you were looking for?

Good luck.
    Well, the one that really irked me was a simple financial calculator called Quick 10B Finance. There were a few others.
    01-19-2017 08:27 AM
    I live in Arizona and we have a little ditch that runs through Northern AZ. I believe the app gap is fast becoming a app canyon.
    Player Piano likes this.
    01-19-2017 02:09 PM
    Not just you, an unfortunate situation but not one that was unforeseen.
    01-19-2017 02:23 PM
    Not just you, an unfortunate situation but not one that was unforeseen.
    I foolishly assumed that since I was restoring from backup that I would get all of my installed apps back on my phone. But yeah, day by day more apps are disappearing. For me, I can get still get by for now.
    libra89, aximtreo and Joe920 like this.
    01-19-2017 06:20 PM
    I foolishly assumed that since I was restoring from backup that I would get all of my installed apps back on my phone. But yeah, day by day more apps are disappearing. For me, I can get still get by for now.
    Were any of those wp8 apps? I had several of those unavailable more recently.

Sent from mTalk
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-19-2017 06:37 PM
    Same here, I also did a reset to improve the mess that was 15007 (that worked) and lost Stacks for Instapaper. That app still worked perfectly, but the developer gave up on it, and apparently took it out of the store? Not sure of the exact process, but the result is, I lost an app that I used a few times weekly. No fun.

Still, I keep looking at those insanely priced Pixels and iPhones, and I find it hard to make the jump. Plus the Pixel 128GB is out of stock, and you just know that the next Pixel will be ten times better (this one was allegedly a hasty job by HTC because Huawei didn't go along with all Google's requests/demands). So still hanging on, but kind of wishing I had gone 128GB Nexus 6P way back when.
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-19-2017 10:05 PM
    Were any of those wp8 apps? I had several of those unavailable more recently.

Sent from mTalk
    Yes, all were WP8 apps.
    01-20-2017 08:41 AM
    Same here, I also did a reset to improve the mess that was 15007 (that worked) and lost Stacks for Instapaper. That app still worked perfectly, but the developer gave up on it, and apparently took it out of the store? Not sure of the exact process, but the result is, I lost an app that I used a few times weekly. No fun.

Still, I keep looking at those insanely priced Pixels and iPhones, and I find it hard to make the jump. Plus the Pixel 128GB is out of stock, and you just know that the next Pixel will be ten times better (this one was allegedly a hasty job by HTC because Huawei didn't go along with all Google's requests/demands). So still hanging on, but kind of wishing I had gone 128GB Nexus 6P way back when.
    Yeah, I did pick up an iPhone 7 when they first launched. T-Mobile’s trade-in deal was too hard to pass. I bought a refurbished Sprint phone on eBay and traded it in to T-Mo for a brand new 7+. I had to pay $100 extra for the plus, but the whole thing worked out to around $350. Anyway, I keep that as a backup device. I still much prefer W10M, and the more I use the iPhone the more I realize for me the app gap is less of an issue. I guess it is good to start getting familiar with iOS & Android at this point.
    libra89, Joe920, slivy58 and 1 others like this.
    01-20-2017 08:48 AM
    It's not a big gap for many of us. Can't say there's anything missing i need.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    Kot Prada and Player Piano like this.
    01-20-2017 09:42 AM
    I guess it is good to start getting familiar with iOS & Android at this point.
    So sad, and so true. :) I have a Fire phone as training wheels, so if I ever make the jump, I'll be ready!
    Player Piano and slivy58 like this.
    01-20-2017 10:53 AM
    TBH there are only a select few apps we use on a regular basis across all platforms and that includes WP/WM, so for the most parts the basics are covered (for now). My problem is moving beyond the basics having access to those occasional use apps. We’re finding w/Android/iOS “the sky is the limit” whereas Windows Mobile is, “what you see is what you get”. Essentially WM leaves little room for growth. But if an app does exist it is pretty much assured you’ll be going back in time and it’ll lack many advancements/support.

And yes, moving to W10M has revealed, for me, the app gap has grown considerably making it tough depending on a device deemed as “smart” yet now lacking many apps.
    Last edited by Elky64; 01-20-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-20-2017 01:36 PM
    I am still recovering from a hard reset I did over the weekend. I couldn’t bear to be in the slow ring anymore and bumped me back down to production. One thing that presented itself to me was not only the removal of many apps from the app store, but also many apps were no longer available from my library. Some apps I used to use regularly I no longer have access to where some of them I even paid the 99 cents to remove the ads. The app gap seems to get bigger by the day. I am trying my best to hold out for the “Surface Phone.” Wish me luck.
    The app gap existed from day-1 and steadily grew daily. Many of the Microsoft faithful ignored and dismissed any comments and observations pointing out the gap as the ramblings of trolls. But the app gap/canyon is a fact.

That is NOT to say that everyone experiences the effects of this gap/canyon the same. For some, they don't perceive the gap at all. They are able to do everything they want to do using the apps they want to use. Others have managed the narrow the gap by using different apps or taking different approaches to the tasks they need to perform.

The situation is not going to improve any time soon.
    01-20-2017 01:57 PM
    The app gap existed from day-1 and steadily grew daily. Many of the Microsoft faithful ignored and dismissed any comments and observations pointing out the gap as the ramblings of trolls. But the app gap/canyon is a fact.

That is NOT to say that everyone experiences the effects of this gap/canyon the same. For some, they don't perceive the gap at all. They are able to do everything they want to do using the apps they want to use. Others have managed the narrow the gap by using different apps or taking different approaches to the tasks they need to perform.

The situation is not going to improve any time soon.
    I think this is well said. It is how you perceive it, and we are all different.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    libra89 likes this.
    01-20-2017 03:07 PM
    yes it's true that WM has an app gap, but I find equally annoying is the fact that IOS and android have an app OVERSATURATION, meaning you look for one app of something and get a result of 2000+ results of the same app or 500,000 apps of stupid crap you gotta sort through to find a good app... and don't get me started on androids bad security and privacy invasive apps! yeeesh!!
    01-20-2017 09:45 PM
    yes it's true that WM has an app gap, but I find equally annoying is the fact that IOS and android have an app OVERSATURATION, meaning you look for one app of something and get a result of 2000+ results of the same app or 500,000 apps of stupid crap you gotta sort through to find a good app... and don't get me started on androids bad security and privacy invasive apps! yeeesh!!
    I'd take the overabundance of apps on iOS/Android any day over Microsoft's sorry excuse for a Store. At least there is choice with the other platforms whereas on WM it is starting to become a rarity and in many cases choice is non-existent.
    01-20-2017 10:17 PM
    I'd take the overabundance of apps on iOS/Android any day over
    I only use 7 of the one million apps on my Android phone :)

For a short while there on 8.1 the apps were looking solid.
    Not to be anymore going forward.

Every once in awhile I still look at a few of my favs on 8.1 since they were so well done.
    Guess I should quit doing that because it makes me sad...
    01-20-2017 10:29 PM
    I only use 7 of the one million apps on my Android phone :)
    Seven! are you on a diet or what LOL. Minus the core apps (email/texting, etc) I run between 50-65+ with not a game in the mix, we rarely use most that often but when called upon they are at my disposal.
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-21-2017 02:04 AM
    Seven! are you on a diet or what LOL
    Close to the same here truthfully.
    I try apps and delete a lot of them though.
    libra89, TgeekB and aximtreo like this.
    01-21-2017 04:21 AM

Go for oneplus 3T
    01-21-2017 05:31 AM
    Seven! are you on a diet or what LOL. Minus the core apps (email/texting, etc) I run between 50-65+ with not a game in the mix, we rarely use most that often but when called upon they are at my disposal.
    Most of my mobile time I spend on the iPad. I also use around 50 Apps, mostly core apps. 99% of iOS Apps are cràp, and the same applies to Android. Maybe there are some 5 apps I miss on the Lumia. Even my banking or WindowsCentral I do with the browser, no need for apps.
    TgeekB, aximtreo, slivy58 and 1 others like this.
    01-21-2017 12:37 PM
    You say you're holding out for the Surface Phone, but I'm not sure how that'll affect the app gap in any way, except having a more advanced device to NOT have many apps for.
    01-21-2017 04:33 PM
    Most of my mobile time I spend on the iPad. I also use around 50 Apps, mostly core apps. 99% of iOS Apps are cràp, and the same applies to Android. Maybe there are some 5 apps I miss on the Lumia. Even my banking or WindowsCentral I do with the browser, no need for apps.
    I switch between all three platforms on mobile/tablets and today my combination is the L650, iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 4, tomorrow it may be my GS7, G4 and Galaxy Tab Pro, or maybe GS7, L830 and Acer Windows tablet, who knows. But from my perspective Android and iOS apps blow most of those I use on WM out of the water by a wide margin, mainly due the latter lacking many feature compared to the competition... Never mind the apps that can't even be had.

Accessing sites via web portal is OK sometimes but in my opinion it is no substitution for a well thought-out app, to me a phone that lacks apps starts to deviate from its smartphone status then becoming just that, a phone. Find in most cases dedicated apps will provide a much better experience than can be achieved through a browser bar none. And not to mention there a many instances where tasks cannot be performed without an app, like connecting my cameras or portable media streaming device wirelessly to my phone. Yep that'd be me but I'm sure there are many in the same boat with there being numerous more examples.

For sh*ts and giggles we did a little test, I tried two of my email accounts (different providers) and one popular chain store here in Canada using WM/Edge, and the results... First account wouldn't load because "Unsupported browser", second account loads but essentially unusable as is. Chain store, well a few months back it too gave me unsupported browser too but now we just stare at a blank page. So essentially Edge failed to deliver and it took me no effort at all, 3 for 3 is what it was, no more no less. Now we tried the same on Android/iOS with the results being leaps and bounds ahead, no not perfect in every instance but much more acceptable. So my unscientific study proves to me that Edge is incapable of taking up the app-gap-slack and WM NEEDS those apps to become viable, one can agree or disagree but the proof is in the pudding the way I see it.
    Last edited by Elky64; 01-21-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    01-21-2017 10:35 PM
    Excluding common apps (email, weather, calendar, calculator, web browser, etc) and games, there are about 6 or 7 android apps I use regularly...meaning multiple times a week if not in a day. There are probably about the same number that I use at least several times a month. More than half are not in the ms store. On several of them, the mobile web browser version is horrendous. For a few android apps, I can download things offline for later via wifi to save data, but no app on Windows Phone kills it (Amazon Prime music, vudu, google play movies, google play books). Granted my use of android has entrenched me to some degree, but still, when I can't get apps for vudu, Amazon, Walmart, and some other big names, it does not give me hope for Windows Phones. I love the look and feel of W10M, but if huge corporate entities will not make apps (or pull out like Amazon) for the platform, it is not a promising future.

Sent from mTalk
    Laura Knotek, slivy58 and libra89 like this.
    01-21-2017 11:11 PM
27 12