Started up this thread on Cortana and Privacy, and it got me thinking... we should probably have a proper privacy discussion here on WC!

What is your stance on privacy, and how do you feel about folks like Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc collecting and using your data for their own purposes?

Personally (and I realize I may be in the minority here), I say 'take my data'. If it helps make the world a better place for my family, friends, and everyone out there, just take it. Keep in mind, there ARE some things I would never share (credit card, social security, passport, stuff like that!), but overall I have zero problems with passing my data on for the greater good. And if these companies profit from the data - hey - good on them. They built the system, set the terms and conditions, and I accepted them. Maybe I should have built my own system :)

Thoughts? (and please, let's be respectful of one another!) lol
    RumoredNow and neo158 like this.
    03-24-2017 08:36 AM
    James, your opinion seems to reflect the opinion of the general population. The information collection we complain about is often anonymous. What we should be concerned about, and we are not, is what is done by credit card companies, department stores, and medical facilities. They make Google, Microsoft, and Apple look like novices.

I agree with you. I'm willing to let them have my data if it produces results for me (which it does). I clicked Accept, so it becomes my problem.

Here is an example of how concerned I am about it: I have been signed up for Cross Media Panel for over a year now. You install apps on mobile devices, and a Chrome extension on desktop. It tracks your usage. You get $1/week per device, with a limit of 3 total, one from each category. I've gotten $3/week for over a year, a total of $174 so far. It is not cash, but there are good options for redemption. I get it in Amazon gift cards, which is as good as cash for me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-2017 09:49 AM
    TGP, that sounds cool. I like to help also, and getting some coinage for it is great. Where can one do that?
    03-24-2017 10:15 AM
    TGP, that sounds cool. I like to help also, and getting some coinage for it is great. Where can one do that?
    Cross Media Panel. But be forewarned that it is all Google. That is a problem for a lot of people here.

Also, I do not believe they are accepting new participants at the moment. I've been on it since February 29, 2016.
    03-24-2017 11:05 AM
    I am OK with Google handling my data as they seem to be the best with the opt out options. I will allow them to take my data if I get more relevant results to what I search, and to improve products. However, I do NOT like how they scan my personal documents (google docs) and emails for ads; and have since switched to Outlook.com.

I am completely fine with Apple handling my data as they seem to be the most trustworthy out of all 3 companies. There is literally a privacy section in iOS. And I'll turn on all diagnostics and opt in product things as I would like to further improve iOS and what apple does.

I am fine with Microsoft handling my Data as I love Microsoft and fine there services (including bing) to be more feature rich, and better. Call me a fan-boy if you must.
    03-24-2017 11:55 AM
    When it comes onto my data, I prefer choice and control. I understand that there are certain things that need to be collected, but let it be as anonymous and minimal as possible.
    03-25-2017 07:54 PM
    I'm with James on this, I'm not that bothered with information being collected but not if it is sensitive things that you would never share with anyone else.

On the subject of department stores that tgp brings up, I don't know if you are aware but not only can you be tracked through the store via wifi, even if you don't connect to the network, but that same connection can show the manufacturer and MAC address of the device you use.

If you connect to the hotspot instore then you can see the email address used to sign up and the apps running on the device and how much data is being used by it, scary stuff!!!
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-25-2017 08:36 PM
    Here is an example of how concerned I am about it: I have been signed up for Cross Media Panel for over a year now. You install apps on mobile devices, and a Chrome extension on desktop. It tracks your usage. You get $1/week per device, with a limit of 3 total, one from each category. I've gotten $3/week for over a year, a total of $174 so far. It is not cash, but there are good options for redemption. I get it in Amazon gift cards, which is as good as cash for me.
    That actually sounds real interesting.
    03-27-2017 10:21 AM
    I think that sharing certain data is beneficial to me, rather than harmful. For example, I don't mind sharing my location with Google since that helps me when Google Maps tells me about an accident on the highway so that I may exit and take an alternate route rather than get stuck in traffic.
    neo158, tgp and Guytronic like this.
    03-27-2017 10:28 AM
    Driving help/info FTW! Nothing wrong with a little help getting somewhere faster!
    neo158, tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-27-2017 10:31 AM
    Thanks for opening this up James.
    Unless I was some one who had something to hide, it does not bother me.

Sure a lot of good can come from information to help us individually while our account is signed in or while shopping or whatever. I think it goes way beyond that. Past the AI bots and digital assistants. I started realizing that the future of quantum computing was having real world information available to it. Where and how else are they to get that :).

However, there are other companies building databases of our information and for some or most users don't know what thats about let alone can comprehend what that means.

Social media is huge. So I think for certain folks if they are blindly clicking that accept before even knowing just a hint more about it are only hurting themselves for the future.
    neo158 likes this.
    04-01-2017 09:16 PM
    I don't have anything to hide, but I think you should have the right to privacy(or at least, the ability to control what data is given, to whom, and for what purpose) whether you have something to hide or not.
    Starboy21 likes this.
    04-02-2017 09:37 AM