Samsung S8 Microsoft edition

Vishca

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

Last edited:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
"We're sorry for what Windows 10 Mobile has become. As an apology, we'll sell you a great piece of hardware with our great software that will follow you over."

Vishca

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Mind you these apps are already available on the other platforms, but its not a confidence booster when you walk into a Microsoft store. A Samsung S8 running windows would be nicer.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I believe it's mainly to help with the DeX system Samsung is doing.

I don't think there's a lot more into this other then they have a good working relationship with multiple avenues.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think it is a way to draw in customers. They are bound to release newer surface hardware at some point. Just getting an android or apple user into a Microsoft store to start is a good thing. Some people don't know what they're missing you know.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
...Some people don't know what they're missing you know.

Isn't that what advertising is for? Besides, how likely is it that an Apple customer would be lured into a Microsoft store by an Android phone, especially when the same apps are available on iOS?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
MS is showing that all of their software works on other hardware and OSes. They did this with iPhones awhile back. Saw them at my local MS stores. Nothing new.

What grinds my gear is Samsung did a better job of desktop on a smartphone than MS did.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Would you want a Google edition W10 Phone?? With official google services (YouTube, maps, drive etc..)

... !!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Isn't that what advertising is for? Besides, how likely is it that an Apple customer would be lured into a Microsoft store by an Android phone, especially when the same apps are available on iOS?
Well, Microsoft's next step might be carrying an iOS device in there decked out with Microsoft services.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
And the chances that Apple allows them to do so are...?
Haha, I know. That will be the day, and Steve Jobs would wake up and dance a jig I guess. The point was that Microsoft has obviously partnered with Samsung. A new tablet also awaits in every Microsoft store made by Samsung now too. There's a deal in there somewhere.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a good thing. Be confident in your product. Show you are the system to run across all devices. Now I almost died thinking they might have gotten an S8 to run Win 10 mobile, haha. But still MS is the only one with the ability to say "our stuff, even Cortana runs on any platform you the user choose". That's a lot stronger statement of confidence than people give MS credit for. Apple would be smart to allow the same thing. They won't but this alone shows Samsung is smarter. You wouldn't hesitate to run an Xbox on a Samsung TV right? MS stores are a place to show off a lot of technology and get help, questions answered and handle technology hands on. That is empowering the future, whether it's hardware by Lenovo, HP, Dell or MS. They all have value and for every device there is some customer out there who is looking for exactly what that device offers. All should be welcome.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I think a lot of people summarized what I think, it's both good for Samsung and Microsoft, more people using their devices and services, people will buy Samsung devices with Android anyways, that way at least are loading a lot of MS apps on it, maybe for some will be bloatware but for other it will be a good tool to use and that way spread the word.

Nitish_KSharma

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It might be good for businesses for both MS and Samsung, I don't care about. It certainly is a nail in the coffin of Windows Mobile/Phone in the form we know.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Sure the phone looks awesome though three reasons I wont get it. One its not Windows Mobile. Two it has the same lame s7 low megapixel sensor. 3. It's a lot of money. Im good im glad I have my Lumia 950 that performs just as I need it to with an amazing camera. Can't find a phone these days with WM and with great camera and great performance. There always a sacrifice to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss