Samsung S8 Microsoft edition

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, if we don't see something soon in regards to a Windows 10 telephony device (Surface phone or otherwise) and increased support for the OS from app creators, this is probably the route I will go. I've had Android before and didn't like it nearly as much as Windows mobile OS, but it's better for me than iOS. My current Win10 phone works just fine, but eventually there will come a point where I won't have a choice and I'll have to replace it.

As for Microsoft selling Samsung devices with Android on them rather than Win10. I understand the marketing scheme of showing that your apps run on multiple platforms. What I don't get is why they have to sell them in their stores. I agree there was a deal in there somewhere that we're not privy to. I'm just not sure who benefits from it and what those benefits are.

Another user asked the question about Google apps on a Windows 10 phone. Sign me up! If I can get Google apps on an OS that's smoother and more stable than Android, I'll take it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sure the phone looks awesome though three reasons I wont get it. One its not Windows Mobile. Two it has the same lame s7 low megapixel sensor. 3. It's a lot of money. Im good im glad I have my Lumia 950 that performs just as I need it to with an amazing camera. Can't find a phone these days with WM and with great camera and great performance. There always a sacrifice to it.
Lot of people bash the x50 line up. They will go down of course as some the best Lumia's in my opinion. The pioneers of W10M.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 edition phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

Meh...it's like having a iPhone version that installs all Microsoft apps on 1st start.
I think it's silly. I can install them myself which I do.

anon(10015935)

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It is a statement that MS has lost the mobile war, but we Windows fans can also make a statement, by not buying it, in protest of Microsoft's decision to sell it instead of focusing development dollars into W10M.

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It's a good thing. Be confident in your product. Show you are the system to run across all devices. Now I almost died thinking they might have gotten an S8 to run Win 10 mobile, haha. But still MS is the only one with the ability to say "our stuff, even Cortana runs on any platform you the user choose". That's a lot stronger statement of confidence than people give MS credit for. Apple would be smart to allow the same thing. They won't but this alone shows Samsung is smarter. You wouldn't hesitate to run an Xbox on a Samsung TV right? MS stores are a place to show off a lot of technology and get help, questions answered and handle technology hands on. That is empowering the future, whether it's hardware by Lenovo, HP, Dell or MS. They all have value and for every device there is some customer out there who is looking for exactly what that device offers. All should be welcome.

Can anyone confirm if it is the Unlocked S8? Like what Best Buy is to be carrying?
Thanks, Dave

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't really see the point in it. You can always buy the phone elsewhere and install the apps yourself... Making it so that there isn't a differentiating feature between the two versions. Kinda redundant, IMHO.

However, it does make me wonder why is MS wasting time with this instead of actually caring for its in house mobile OS...

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
What would you think if MS stores were selling Macs?

It clearly means that Windows Phones are dead. Microsoft failed in the mobile market - tablets, phones and MP3 players - because they were WAY too late to get there. Yes, I realize the Surface "tablets" are a success, but they are a niche product. For me - and most users - its too big for a tablet and too small for a laptop. It will never replace both for the vast majority of users.

As cool as Windows phones were, it is past time to move on. I have a 920, an Icon and two 1520s (one of which is an unlocked .3 model with wireless charging). I just sold an Icon on Ebay, and I may well sell the other. I will keep the 1520s, as I like the size.

But I also have a company-issued Galaxy S6, and I have an S7 Edge coming today (price drop since the S8s were announced). Windows phones are not even offered by the company, just Iphones and Galaxies, even though everything else is Windows at this company.

Microsoft will be fine, however. Their enterprise/cloud/SQL Server business is thriving. Laptops and desktops will not go away, as there are many things you simply cannot do on a phone - nor would I want to even if I could. Windows will continue to dominate here, the clumsy "free giveaway" of Windows 10 notwithstanding.

The whole Continuum/Dex thing is also a very niche product. "Modular" computing is NOT the future. We already had that in the 80s with TRS-80s and Apple 2s. Turns out that people don't want a bunch of gadgets and cables. Once box and 1 power cord is what sells.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Considering that that Samsung isn't Google, I don't know if this question rely applies to this phone. Now, if Google had a Microsoft edition of the Nexus, that would be a different story. To answer that, I highly doubt Google would ever do such a thing.

Justin Reed8

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Probably already been said, but I just with MS had convinced Samsung to make a Windows Phone version of the S8. That would be much more interesting as it's a beautiful phone.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Probably already been said, but I just with MS had convinced Samsung to make a Windows Phone version of the S8. That would be much more interesting as it's a beautiful phone.

Maybe someday. Samsung has always been willing to try things so maybe if theirs partnership continues we could see a Samsung reiteration at some point.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Launcher that closely mimics or just looks like Windows Phone Tiles would be a great first step in pulling people over. Much as I'm embedded in the MS ecosystem, if this S8 had SquareHome preinstalled (and blessed by MS) I may have considered it as a 950 replacement.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Launcher that closely mimics or just looks like Windows Phone Tiles would be a great first step in pulling people over. Much as I'm embedded in the MS ecosystem, if this S8 had SquareHome preinstalled (and blessed by MS) I may have considered it as a 950 replacement.

Why would that any different than just downloading the launcher on your own?

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Why would that any different than just downloading the launcher on your own?

True, could be the same. As I'm not familiar with Android, not sure what it takes. Guess the fact that this whole "MS Edition" idea came about, it made it seem like this would be easier if it was added on.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 edition phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

I think it's an affirmation of what I've stated several times before; microsoft doesn't take their mobile platform seriously at the moment, and you're merely being used as their b*tch the more you stick with their mobile platform.

Maybe in the later future we'll see a Surface Phone changing everything like the Surface Pro did in the Tablet space. But until that future arrives, you're much better off on a competitor platform instead of continuously being microshafted..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans