Samsung S8 Microsoft edition

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
True, could be the same. As I'm not familiar with Android, not sure what it takes. Guess the fact that this whole "MS Edition" idea came about, it made it seem like this would be easier if it was added on.

Any launcher downloaded from the Google Play Store can be used as the default home screen on your device, and you will never see the original launcher again unless you choose to. The only difference between having it built in and having to download is a few taps; there's no functional difference.

remmo

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 edition phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

MS wants everyone to move away from W10M as soon as possible, so they can kill it right away, then pay less money to Dona Sarkar.
Everything is about money.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It obviously doesn't matter what we think, we covered that last week.
HP on the other hand I could imagine being a little pissed. It's the perceived undermining of and lack of confidence in it's own OS that damages one of MS's key partners that's the problem here.
Every move MS has made in mobile over the past 2/3 years has made it that little bit harder for them to be successful in the future. The cumulative effect of this undermining has gone past the point of no return Imo.

Last edited:

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Samsung S8 Microsoft edition"

I think that they should have just released a S8 running full Windows 10 Mobile. If they actually did that, that would seriously help Windows phones sales, given the brand name and advertising power Samsung has.

koenshaku

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well after reading the article I looked to my Lumia 950 and wondered about the future of the platform. A move like this isn't inspiring faith among users that decided to stick with the platform for the long run and at the same time makes sense from a business prospective 1.5 billion active android devices and maybe an optimistic 20 million windows mobile devices that is as the CEO said not sustainable. I like windows mobile as much as the next avid reader here, but a superior UI and services can only go so far if 3rd apps keep dropping support it will only be a matter of time before you buy that fitness band and don't have proper support or that DSLR that you can't wirelessly transfer pictures to or that incompatible selfie stick that pushes you over the edge.

I personally don't need much on my smartphone I don't care for trendy apps like snapchat, there is a 3rd app that is better than the Nikon app for iOS and android for my DSLR, I still have an MS Band my upgrade will hopefully have equivalent functionality with the GATT support like every other platform. Things continue to drag, but look rewarding for those with fewer needs than the competition and enjoy their seemless UI experience. My biggest gripe is the hardware that hasn't really seen a refresh since 2015 from MS, the silence and the maps MS maps couldn't suck any harder than they do already I'm considering purchasing Sygic. >_>

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
It is a statement that MS has lost the mobile war, but we Windows fans can also make a statement, by not buying it, in protest of Microsoft's decision to sell it instead of focusing development dollars into W10M.

The only person you'd be hurting is yourself. The platform is dead for now. Maybe it comes back strong and maybe it doesn't.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
"Samsung S8 Microsoft edition"

I think that they should have just released a S8 running full Windows 10 Mobile. If they actually did that, that would seriously help Windows phones sales, given the brand name and advertising power Samsung has.

That's a load of crap, all this would do is give existing fans some new hardware and not grow the platform at all.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
@ZacB...so we know how MS tools function on an iPhone, will you be coming up with an Android review soon? That could be the deal breaker here...

Maracucho Tejas

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Haha, I know. That will be the day, and Steve Jobs would wake up and dance a jig I guess. The point was that Microsoft has obviously partnered with Samsung. A new tablet also awaits in every Microsoft store made by Samsung now too. There's a deal in there somewhere.

They already do this...no joke. I was in the Microsoft Store in The Woodlands mall recently (Houston area) and they have a display set up with an iPhone and iPad with all of the Microsoft apps installed and are showcasing Microsoft services on Apple.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a great move for the moment being. They don't have phones anymore. They have some in the wild sure but they've had nothing new in the last year and a half. They are apparently working on something but we're in the second quarter of the year and nothing is about to be announced. So hooking up with a company like Samsung on Android is the best way to get their services to more people in the meantime.

Don't forget that Microsoft's focus is now services. That's how they'll make their money in the future. That's why they're giving Windows 10 for free and putting ads in it for its services.

Plus if their future phone is business oriented like it seems to be the case according to the rumours, then a partnership with the biggest selling Android phone company on its biggest selling model is a no brainer.

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess its good for brand awareness. I feel if you like windows mobile you have it. If you don't know of it, you probably won't switch anyway. So why not get people into the use of Microsoft services. Then when (if) they make a surface phone, people may hear its the best way to use the Microsoft services. Its just a way to keep the name relevant and make the big push when its right. windows mobile now is not what the majority of people want. So people should not feel betrayed, Its kind of like the Trojan horse analogy

passin

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
If Microsoft is really working on a next gen cellular device, wouldn't support for last gen no longer really compete with them? Therefore supporting desktop like experience would only push people towards their full desktop on phone experience in the long term once they realize how useful it is. Add in more nifty features that you are able to pull from the devices you used to help support and wrap them into your future design and all of a sudden the people that wouldn't switch before would have less reasons to not switch now. I keep thinking of this like a long term chess game. Microsoft needs to get things lined up now to show their features where people currently reside. In the future they will pull the pin, let their OS lose on the market again. Sounds somewhat far fetched for what Microsoft has done in the past and may not even work in the long run but at least it is an idea.

JVendetta7

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

welp looks like its time to change back to android. phones are better, UI is still crap compared to windows but now windows is making it easier to leave their mobile since i can get native windows apps and cortana?!!? and wayyyyy more apps... like just be honest windows and say your not going to be supporting mobile anymore.

Mike Semblance

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
If only it would dual boot to android, like my CHUWI Hi10 Pro, I would consider it. I could run Windows day and night, and then switch to android for that odd app.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Android is the new Windows. It's the single most used computing platform in the world. It would benefit Microsoft to make sure everybody knows about the products and services that they offer on the platform. Furthermore, if you find yourself in the position of being a Windows Phone user, and unhappy about the experience, this could be a good package for you. You can switch to Android, but still access all the services that you used on your Windows device.

It's a lemonade out of lemons kind of situation, but after their recent handling of Windows Mobile, I don't see any case in which Microsoft could currently draw a user base that would even compete with the best days of Windows Phone, let alone any magical 10% that we looked for in years past.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They already do this...no joke. I was in the Microsoft Store in The Woodlands mall recently (Houston area) and they have a display set up with an iPhone and iPad with all of the Microsoft apps installed and are showcasing Microsoft services on Apple.
Ya, I know. Androids are at the store local to me. Did not see any iPhones yet. So like we said, it would not be surprising if they move the next step at some point, like with the S8. However Apple is a whole other playing field unlike another OEM (Samsung).

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see the point. I can install 5-6 apps in a matter of minutes by searching "Microsoft" in the store.
Now, if the "de-Googled" it and had it running a WP style launcher and an alternative store like Amazon has done, I might be interested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss