Microsoft Has Effectively Banned Third-Party Browsers From the Windows Store

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If anyone wants a decent alternative browser from the windows store, check out monument browser and UC browser. The former has ad blocking, and splitscreen, the later has data saving, and they both support other search engines.

Via these sorts of alternatives, MSFT has really blocked nothing in windows s.

docsp1

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Coc Coc Browser is quick and you can deactivate javascript. Clever Browser for the secure Windows Mobile 10 Operating System.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
But you can download Chrome, Firefox, and Opera on iOS

Yes, but they are not the rendering engines of those browsers (chromium), they are the ios rendering engine (whatever its called), like monument browser and UC browser in the windows store are the edge rendering engine.

There is zero stopping google or anyone else from doing what they have done already on ios, and many have already in the UWP, and make a rendering engine, secure, compliant browser.

The point is the original post is 100% wrong, there is nothing stopping anyone from creating a browser in the windows store.

Having a standard for rendering websites is a good thing, it adds to security and it helps enforce html5 standards (which chromium engine does not, which is why some browsers don't render some pages correctly)

docsp1

May 27, 2016
Visit site
All Microsoft Phones are a secure bargain. Before Coc Coc Browser i did use Monument Browser where you can also deactivate javascript for speed and security and without Wifi Opera Browser with its in built Adblocker (some ads are not blocked). You find it now via their Homepage because it is not visible listed in the store. Edge i use if i need Javascript. If you want to browse anonymous try https://metager.de as bookmark. Your search will not be observed or recorded and you can choose to use your search results anonymous.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh well, I knew Windows 10 S wasn't a good operating system since the start.

It's the same as 10 except the no install from outside the store...

Maybe you could say it's a bad policy assuming 10 is a good OS. Or a good policy if you value the security factor behind it. I could see the user targets (edu, biz) appreciating the policy actually.

And it doesn't even ban 3rd party browsers, they just have to follow the render rules to get in the store. Have a W10 system? Open the store and search for "browser" to see that there are Edge alternatives available.

In terms of installing certain things, the store would allow edu or biz to create their own apps (or port via a bridge) and have them in the store for their authorized systems to access and install.

The title of this thread is really just click bait and you know what I say...

Baiters gonna bait, clickers gonna click.

ryanisawesome555

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
It's the same as 10 except the no install from outside the store...

Maybe you could say it's a bad policy assuming 10 is a good OS. Or a good policy if you value the security factor behind it. I could see the user targets (edu, biz) appreciating the policy actually.

And it doesn't even ban 3rd party browsers, they just have to follow the render rules to get in the store. Have a W10 system? Open the store and search for "browser" to see that there are Edge alternatives available.

In terms of installing certain things, the store would allow edu or biz to create their own apps (or port via a bridge) and have them in the store for their authorized systems to access and install.

The title of this thread is really just click bait and you know what I say...

Baiters gonna bait, clickers gonna click.

Good point! I have clickbaiters. Report that, report this! It never works.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
If anyone wants a decent alternative browser from the windows store, check out monument browser and UC browser. The former has ad blocking, and splitscreen, the later has data saving, and they both support other search engines.

Via these sorts of alternatives, MSFT has really blocked nothing in windows s.

WOW! Didn't know about them. Looks promising. I use only MS Edge... but that alternatives look good (as alternatives).

aob982

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
I agree with RumoredNow.

Don't know why this appears to be an issue, when Windows 10 S is clearly being aimed at the education market. If schools etc are providing these devices, then a locked down environment is the way to go.

Anyone else curious about Windows 10 S would be well advised to upgrade to Pro. Either free or for a small fee.

On a side note... I still hate it when certain users in a working office expect that they are somehow 'entitled' to run what ever they want on 'their' pcs and can't seem to understand that 'their' pc is company equipment and not a 50/50 business/social media box (let's not even mention security here).

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte