Microsoft Has Effectively Banned Third-Party Browsers From the Windows Store

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Source :
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-third-party-browsers-from-the-windows-store/

Policy effectively bans standalone third-party browsers

While some were hoping to see Chrome or Firefox available on the Windows Store as UWP apps, this may never be possible, as this would mean that Google, Firefox, and other vendors would need to rewrite their browsers from scratch to use Microsoft's EdgeHTML.

This will never happen unless Windows 10 S becomes a huge success and browser vendors see a benefit to port their browsers.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I expected something like this to happen. Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 S as secure as possible, but forcing users to use one browser isn't the right way to go.

I have nothing against Microsoft Edge at all and this won't affect me or any of my habits too much (if I get the Surface Laptop or a W10S device) but there's just some things that people should be able to have a choice using.

But for strict educational purposes, it'll be great

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they're going the iOS route. I always kind of wondered why it's mandated by Apple (and also MS) though.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Some websites still don't operate properly using Edge. Wonder how users will get around that issue without an alternative?

The article I posted ONLY applies to computers running Windows 10 S edition.

The rest of us can go our merry way using whatever browser we want.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Source :
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-third-party-browsers-from-the-windows-store/

Policy effectively bans standalone third-party browsers

While some were hoping to see Chrome or Firefox available on the Windows Store as UWP apps, this may never be possible, as this would mean that Google, Firefox, and other vendors would need to rewrite their browsers from scratch to use Microsoft's EdgeHTML.

This will never happen unless Windows 10 S becomes a huge success and browser vendors see a benefit to port their browsers.

Yup, that's because their rendering engines are insecure. Like it or not.

Migi2015

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Some websites still don't operate properly using Edge. Wonder how users will get around that issue without an alternative?

That's because these websites are catering to Webkit which isn't a standard-based web engine. If the sites were strictly HTML5 compliant there would be no issue. But Google is perfectly content with the current situation which favors Chrome but is anti-consumer.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
That's because these websites are catering to Webkit which isn't a standard-based web engine. If the sites were strictly HTML5 compliant there would be no issue. But Google is perfectly content with the current situation which favors Chrome but is anti-consumer.

Exactly....Webkit is the new IE6...

AlphaChap

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
I really hope that MS add Browser extension support for Windows 10 Mobile since currently only third party browsers offer AdBlocking support.

brentgee

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see it on 10S. The idea for that is a locked down OS that does more than just run apps, but also one that can be expanded and use "regular" Windows applications. As @Drael646464 said above, rendering engines all are inherently insecure because they allow outside information in. Any way for Microsoft to limit the attack vectors is useful for 10S.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The article I posted ONLY applies to computers running Windows 10 S edition.

The rest of us can go our merry way using whatever browser we want.

Which is why I hope Windows 10S doesn't become the 'new Windows 10 Home'. Having to pay Microsoft a fee, after purchasing a new computer, to use your browser of choice, would stick in my craw.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess you missed this part of the article then...

View attachment 135653

I don't see many people avoiding iOS or ChromeOS over it.

Last I checked, you can download Chrome, Firefox or Opera on a Macbook Pro. Apple's limitation is in regards to iOS devices, not MacOS (formerly known as OSX).

In fact, on a Mac, you can even use Parallels software to run Windows...in a window, just like any other application, or dual boot it, or run MacOS, Windows and Linux, side by side, if you so desire.

AlvaroNos

May 12, 2017
Visit site
No surprise

In my opinion this is not a surprise because microsoft defends its own interests... and both apple and google have this policy. At least Monument browser will stay in the store which is great news!!

Sent from Windows Central for Windows 10.

Pavel_71

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
I keep all the animals alive on the computer - and IE, and Chrome, and Firefox ... and Yandex. Oh, about the Opera forgot. Not undersand???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo