06-30-2017 10:53 AM
35 12
tools
    Source :
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...windows-store/

Policy effectively bans standalone third-party browsers

While some were hoping to see Chrome or Firefox available on the Windows Store as UWP apps, this may never be possible, as this would mean that Google, Firefox, and other vendors would need to rewrite their browsers from scratch to use Microsoft's EdgeHTML.

This will never happen unless Windows 10 S becomes a huge success and browser vendors see a benefit to port their browsers.
    RumoredNow and Josiah23 like this.
    05-10-2017 04:35 PM
    I expected something like this to happen. Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 S as secure as possible, but forcing users to use one browser isn't the right way to go.

I have nothing against Microsoft Edge at all and this won't affect me or any of my habits too much (if I get the Surface Laptop or a W10S device) but there's just some things that people should be able to have a choice using.

But for strict educational purposes, it'll be great
    05-10-2017 04:47 PM
    Sounds like they're going the iOS route. I always kind of wondered why it's mandated by Apple (and also MS) though.
    libra89 and Josiah23 like this.
    05-10-2017 07:28 PM
    This is one of those things that makes people avoid MS.
    Josiah23 likes this.
    05-10-2017 07:30 PM
    Some websites still don't operate properly using Edge. Wonder how users will get around that issue without an alternative?
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-11-2017 09:48 AM
    Some websites still don't operate properly using Edge. Wonder how users will get around that issue without an alternative?
    The article I posted ONLY applies to computers running Windows 10 S edition.

The rest of us can go our merry way using whatever browser we want.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-11-2017 10:14 AM
    Source :
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...windows-store/

Policy effectively bans standalone third-party browsers

While some were hoping to see Chrome or Firefox available on the Windows Store as UWP apps, this may never be possible, as this would mean that Google, Firefox, and other vendors would need to rewrite their browsers from scratch to use Microsoft's EdgeHTML.

This will never happen unless Windows 10 S becomes a huge success and browser vendors see a benefit to port their browsers.
    Yup, that's because their rendering engines are insecure. Like it or not.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    05-11-2017 10:15 AM
    This is one of those things that makes people avoid MS.
    I guess you missed this part of the article then...

capture01.png

I don't see many people avoiding iOS or ChromeOS over it.
    05-11-2017 10:59 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture01.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	135653

Unfortunately MS gets held to a different standard on these things. I guess it's because many people want to use the chrome browser, so they don't care that it's the only one permitted on chromeOS.
    05-11-2017 03:50 PM
    It is actually a great move in my opinion. Long overdue for the 80% of people who just use computers for simple tasks.

https://twitter.com/PerfectReign/sta...12561714978816

Sent from mTalk
    05-11-2017 04:56 PM
    Unfortunately MS gets held to a different standard on these things.
    Right. Like the TOS for Windows 10. Nothing really different or earth shaking there except that some bloggers read it while wearing tin-foil hats...
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    05-11-2017 04:56 PM
    That's because these websites are catering to Webkit which isn't a standard-based web engine. If the sites were strictly HTML5 compliant there would be no issue. But Google is perfectly content with the current situation which favors Chrome but is anti-consumer.
    Drael646464 and Kot Prada like this.
    05-12-2017 01:01 AM
    You can download Firefox from a ton of places. So what if the Windows store does not have it. Their lost.
    05-26-2017 07:46 PM
    That's because these websites are catering to Webkit which isn't a standard-based web engine. If the sites were strictly HTML5 compliant there would be no issue. But Google is perfectly content with the current situation which favors Chrome but is anti-consumer.
    Exactly....Webkit is the new IE6...
    05-29-2017 11:17 AM
    I really hope that MS add Browser extension support for Windows 10 Mobile since currently only third party browsers offer AdBlocking support.
    06-05-2017 02:03 PM
    I'm glad to see it on 10S. The idea for that is a locked down OS that does more than just run apps, but also one that can be expanded and use "regular" Windows applications. As @Drael646464 said above, rendering engines all are inherently insecure because they allow outside information in. Any way for Microsoft to limit the attack vectors is useful for 10S.
    06-08-2017 11:19 AM
    The article I posted ONLY applies to computers running Windows 10 S edition.

The rest of us can go our merry way using whatever browser we want.
    Which is why I hope Windows 10S doesn't become the 'new Windows 10 Home'. Having to pay Microsoft a fee, after purchasing a new computer, to use your browser of choice, would stick in my craw.
    06-08-2017 12:13 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture01.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	135653

Last I checked, you can download Chrome, Firefox or Opera on a Macbook Pro. Apple's limitation is in regards to iOS devices, not MacOS (formerly known as OSX).

In fact, on a Mac, you can even use Parallels software to run Windows...in a window, just like any other application, or dual boot it, or run MacOS, Windows and Linux, side by side, if you so desire.
    06-08-2017 12:15 PM
    In my opinion this is not a surprise because microsoft defends its own interests... and both apple and google have this policy. At least Monument browser will stay in the store which is great news!!

Sent from Windows Central for Windows 10.
    06-08-2017 01:09 PM
    I keep all the animals alive on the computer - and IE, and Chrome, and Firefox ... and Yandex. Oh, about the Opera forgot. Not undersand???
    06-08-2017 09:57 PM
    Last I checked, you can download Chrome, Firefox or Opera on a Macbook Pro.
    Last I checked, a Macbook Pro does not run iOS. Please reread the portion of the article I quoted before making counter-claims that miss the thrust of what has gone before.
    06-09-2017 06:21 PM
    If anyone wants a decent alternative browser from the windows store, check out monument browser and UC browser. The former has ad blocking, and splitscreen, the later has data saving, and they both support other search engines.

Via these sorts of alternatives, MSFT has really blocked nothing in windows s.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    06-09-2017 11:33 PM
    Last I checked, a Macbook Pro does not run iOS. Please reread the portion of the article I quoted before making counter-claims that miss the thrust of what has gone before.
    But you can download Chrome, Firefox, and Opera on iOS
    SeanD_Colorado likes this.
    06-11-2017 06:47 AM
    Coc Coc Browser is quick and you can deactivate javascript. Clever Browser for the secure Windows Mobile 10 Operating System.
    06-11-2017 06:55 AM
    But you can download Chrome, Firefox, and Opera on iOS
    Yes, but they are not the rendering engines of those browsers (chromium), they are the ios rendering engine (whatever its called), like monument browser and UC browser in the windows store are the edge rendering engine.

There is zero stopping google or anyone else from doing what they have done already on ios, and many have already in the UWP, and make a rendering engine, secure, compliant browser.

The point is the original post is 100% wrong, there is nothing stopping anyone from creating a browser in the windows store.

Having a standard for rendering websites is a good thing, it adds to security and it helps enforce html5 standards (which chromium engine does not, which is why some browsers don't render some pages correctly)
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    06-11-2017 06:58 AM
35 12