Mystery Shanghai Device

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
On the 28th I believe MS will be "showing the world what is next", and unveiling some new hardware.

By process of elimination, this is not:

The Invoke (We've seen that demo'd)
The Surface Pro 5 (We've been told not to expect one)
The surface book 2 (It's already got up to date specs, doesn't meet the tagline)
Mixed Reality (We've had that introduced)
Windows on ARM (We've been told that comes later this year).

This leaves me really scratching by head, and I feel like its going to be quite out of the box.

What do you think it is?

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree, "Next" means it can't be related to any existing hardware. It has to be something new. My guess is that it won't be 1 single thing or device but will be WOA and a handful of devices running WOA. A laptop, a 2 in 1, Maybe some Surface Pro like device from another OEM. And, if there is going to be a surprise, it will be a 8" or so Surface Mini running WOA. Devices with phone capabilities is what they are moving towards so WOA has to be what is "next".

We know about Windows S, we know about Surface laptop, we know they aren't making any actual phones and we know it can't be related to any other line of devices or software we already know about. There is nothing left but WOA and devices running it. The firwt line of devices that will be released end of year.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree, "Next" means it can't be related to any existing hardware. It has to be something new. My guess is that it won't be 1 single thing or device but will be WOA and a handful of devices running WOA. A laptop, a 2 in 1, Maybe some Surface Pro like device from another OEM. And, if there is going to be a surprise, it will be a 8" or so Surface Mini running WOA. Devices with phone capabilities is what they are moving towards so WOA has to be what is "next".

We know about Windows S, we know about Surface laptop, we know they aren't making any actual phones and we know it can't be related to any other line of devices or software we already know about. There is nothing left but WOA and devices running it. The firwt line of devices that will be released end of year.

That's a reasonable bet, unless its out of left field, WoA is all we know about that's left.

I was think about this last night actually. They kind of need a mini. While some people will certainly like always connected data services and GPS on a laptop, it only really shines if its portable. That means 6-9 inches. Something shoulder bag-able, purse-able, even jacket pocketable.

Even then its niche for use a phone - productivity users, and people who insist on decent screen real estate.

I was thinking it would be best if they could pack as much as possible, in terms of functionality in such a device, as to increase its appeal - depth sensors for AR, dual microphones for homehub/Cortana, fantastic audio for media playing, a little keyboard attachment for productivity.

8 inches or smaller really I think could also use cshell. That form is a little cramped with win32's without a stylus. It's useable but not idea.

Of course its the OEMs that will really sell the idea of WoA on tablets, hybrids and notebooks, but history shows they are more followers than leaders. Take existing windows on tablets - virtually no one main an 8.9, or 9.7. They started trying 8s, and when that fizzled, they copied the surface.

Whatever MS produces in terms of a demo device, is quite important - it needs to show OEMs how to make windows more mobile. It needs to be other than just a surface - no one is going to ditch their phone for something as big as a netbook. And if they have a phone, why use LTE/calling/GPS on their laptop much at all?

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Dude, the event is long over and the predictions in this thread were wrong. It was just a Surface Pro refresh, just like I said

Jeez, Sorry about that. I SHOULD have gone to the very first comment. I though this was for next week's event.

I thought this was a new thread when somebody posted on it yesterday and that we're talking about this coming June 28th with Qbitlogic as a speaker. Considering the line of business they're in, the meet next week would be about iot and azure. and when reading the title of "mystery shanghai device" I was thinking of one of the highly speculated projects included in a so-called leaked surface mobile blurb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)